[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ STUPID QUESTIONS THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: .jpg (890 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
890 KB, 1920x1080
Can't find one in catalog, I'll start:
What is a good book to learn C for people new to programming?
>>
>>46622443
>>46609309
>>
>>46622462
Oh, never mind. Bump limit.
>>
>>46622462
Didn't see it, I usually ctrl f for /sqt/
It's 300+ so it'll hit bump limit soon either way
>>
>>46622443
>man good thing I have this lint roller so I can keep it on the floor
>>
>>46622443
Hey how do you disable the Close button on a program window in Windows, like i've seen it done before so i'm curious. Is there a way to gray it out?

I found user32.dll $SC_CLOSE on google but what does that mean?
>>
>>46622517
as some context i'm making an installer and I dont want the user to be able to close it once it starts, that way it isn't halfway installed and clutters the registry or worse
>>
File: Untitled.png (74 KB, 402x521) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
74 KB, 402x521
What is considered a good furmark score?

Is there some type of number I should be aiming for?
>>
File: 1423701631092.jpg (475 KB, 852x973) Image search: [Google]
1423701631092.jpg
475 KB, 852x973
>>46622443
>>
>>46622570
I've heard it's useful only if you know how to program already?
>>
>>46622511
>implying that there is a better place to keep it,
her floor is clean as fuck so apparently it works great
>>
>>46622531
Make it so when x I'd pressed it removes whatever is installed.
>>
>>46622561
I find it's useful when you Google other card's furmark scores. It gives you an idea of how fast the card is in a benchmark compared to other cards. Especially for those who OC thier GPUs
>>
Guys please help me find good video converter. I want something like "Any Video Converter FREE"(profiles for each device is most important for me) but open source and without build in ad bullshit.
>>
>>46622640
ffmpeg is always the correct answer
>>
>>46622652
Gui? Sorry i don't like using command line, i got used to windowed interface.
i just found about Handbrake. Is it any good?
>>
>>46622708
Fuck off
>>
>>46622708
handbrake is pretty good for basic purposes
>>
>>46622713
What's wrong, autismo? Surprised that some people don't like something that you like? Yeah, fucking casuals.
>>46622715
Thanks dude, gonna try it now.
>>
>>46622652
I hate ffmpeg's syntax and general way commands are issued.

Is this just me? Am I too used to... nearly every single other commandline application I've ever used? Or is it actually far more backwards than it needs to be.
>>
Is the $3 worth changing the power jack to the back on the O2? Seems like the cord would be a pain coming out the front.
>>
>>46622818
it makes sense to me once i really looked into it (and not just copy/paste other's commands)

each command modifies what the next command sees, you have to keep a mental note of where you are to know how the following command should be used

there is some specific things which need to be placed in certain places, but it's mostly sensible

like for example;
ffmpeg -r 30 file.mkv ...

and
ffmpeg file.mkv -r 30 ...

do different things, in the first specifying a rate before a file causes ffmpeg to assume that rate for the file, while specifying it after a file converts the input rate to the new rate

like a 30fps file with -r 15 would either become twice as slow (first option) or have half its frames dropped, and stay the same speed (second option)
>>
Fixing an old Compaq Desktop for a client. Video out (off of the Mobo) is just a blackscreen (yes, I checked the monitor, it works). No BIOS beeping, no noises (except for the fans).

Is there any other way to diagnose the problem other then buying a videocard? Does anyone know of a cheap windows 7 compatible card that very little power?
>>
>>46622924
Did you check if the cmos battery is dead?
>>
I'm an idiot, /g/
Can someone give me a stepbystep guide on how to make sure I have the latest video drivers on my computer? (I recently installed a new Win7 OS on an old laptop, and I'm getting a bit of weird screen glitches/tears that it didn't have before)

I don't know the name of the driver, where can I find it? Then from there, I'm guessing I go to the Intel website and paste some ID code? Can someone just give me step by step guide in order to find the latest video driver available on this thing?
>>
Two Questions:

I built a new computer and installed arch. Bought 4 gig Hyper X ram. But it says nthat I am using 3. Any ideas? I would understand like 3.6 or whatever but not 3 flat

Also. If I get a new case and redo a computer. Do I have to reinstall shit? when I unplug everything. I am guessing no
>>
>>46622972

Search for your hardware on whichever site. If it's prebuilt, usually the maker will have a list of all the drivers available. To check your driver, go to the driver tab and compare.
>>
File: d4.jpg (79 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
d4.jpg
79 KB, 450x337
What is the preferred way to do color in CSS, hex codes or rgb/rgba (___)?
>>
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 414x520) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 414x520
>>46622972
go into device manager, right click > properties on the video card, then details, device instance path, and where it says "VEN_1002&DEV_6819" (in this case)
google "1002:6819"

that should give you the name
>>
>>46622972
just download the newest driver from AMD? looks like the system does not have the switchable/enduro stuff on board so the generic driver will definetely work (as long as its not a panasonic sony etc.). nowawadys even for the enduro notebooks you can use the generic intel + AMD drivers
>>
>>46622972
You go to AMDs website and click "download drivers" (assuming you have an ATI card). You can specify the GPU for old and beta drivers, or auto detect. Here is auto detect for your convenience

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/auto/autodetectutility.exe
>>
File: 9.png (9 KB, 447x163) Image search: [Google]
9.png
9 KB, 447x163
Bumping my OP question here: >>46621794
>>
Newfag here. How do I make code I post here have syntax highlighting like >>46622923 ?
>>
>>46622982
1GB is dedicated to hardware (onboard GPU and such)
>>
>>46622960
How would I do that with no video signal?
>>
>>46623043
encapsulate the code with "{code}...{/code}", use [] instead of {}
>>
>>46623043
>>39894014

code tags.
>>
>>46623058
I meant if the cmos battery id dead nothing will work. That explains no beeps or output from the onboard GPU. You would have to replace the battery to test.

You can also remove the current battery for 30 ish seconds to wipe the bios settings and see if that fixes any problems
>>
Cool was waiting for a new one to ask something.
So I have linux mint rebecca and windows 7 dual boot.
Can my malware from win 7 still mess with me while I'm in linux mint?
>>
>>46622511
Seems rather large to be a lint roller. More likely a paint roller based on its size proportionate to her body.
>>
File: dog1.jpg (32 KB, 480x321) Image search: [Google]
dog1.jpg
32 KB, 480x321
>>46623026
anyone?
>>
>>46623188
They both apply to different features of the markup.
hex for solid colors and rgba for things that require transparency.
>>
>>46623048
hmm okay thanks. Just thought it was less like 400 Mb . But I guess it may be different with motherboards and what not.
>>
>>46622923
Interesting. I guess I'd assumed I was defining some kind of global arguments, rather than relative ones strung together.

A problem I remember having was ffmpeg seemingly being unwilling to make certain assumptions. For example, I wanted to decompress a file. I write
Whatever\whatever\a_Directory\File.m2ts output.yuv

It's implicit and pretty obvious I wanted it to decode and then just write the output to a file, but it threw some error about needing an output file. Tried adding -videoc (or something) rawvideo, it took the stream and started re-encoding it...

Changed that to "copy", still didn't work. Ended up fixing it by adding -i on the front. I still don't know why.

I could very well be retarded in some regard, but it just wasn't very intuitive at first glance. Haven't used it much, dn't really trust it yet, will end up learning more later.
>>
I want to fuck around on my neighbors macbook remotely or just fuck with him while he's using it. I can see it on Bluetooth, what can do?
>>
File: 1423884716871.jpg (889 KB, 2256x1504) Image search: [Google]
1423884716871.jpg
889 KB, 2256x1504
asked last thread, only got 1 response

Is this worth it? Currently on a q9500 @ 3.3gHz & 4gb DDR2. cheap motherboard prevents me from oc'ig further and putting in more ram.

buying used 775 mobos and DDR2 ram seems way to expensive, and better invested in a new computer

I'd just put in my current PSU and HD6870.

Intel Pentium G3258
MSI H81M-P33
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-718

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731
>>
>>46623215
you have to put -i infront of input files, so it doesn't mistake it for a command or output file

(i should have in the example but it slipped my mind)

you're right in thinking that most other things will take "file file" as input > output, but ffmpeg can do some pretty complex things, so being more specific just comes with that
>>
File: 1399730643722.jpg (37 KB, 391x378) Image search: [Google]
1399730643722.jpg
37 KB, 391x378
>>46623209

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
>>
>>46623119
no.

>>46622982
as the guy on your thread said. 32bit version might be the answer.

>>46622443
now anime girl are even coming in stq. we're fucked.
>>
>>46623261
The interesting thing so far is that ffmpeg creates different raw files, for the exact same segment, than virtualdub. Both are receiving their input from avisynth, planes aren't swapped, same number of bits, raw file so no header, but they have different checksums.

Another thing to figure out I suppose. Switching to ffmpeg would make things much, much easier.
>>
>>46623261
also;

-c copy will attempt to place input streams into the output container, in this case you can't put mpeg2 streams directly into a "yuv" file

also "yuv" mustn't be a recognized format, since you have to specify the format otherwise, when you specify a recognized extension, like ".mkv", it will assume the format for you (you can make an mkv with another extension by using for example "-t matroska file.whatever)

also, the common way to make a raw video with a simple header is to use .y4m (this is recognized immediately by ffmpeg as an input or output format, and it good for making intermediate or piped raw video
>>
>>46623283
>Not liking tastefully drawn anime girls in interesting settings
That image is about as /g/ as it gets as far as anime OPs. Better than those headphone threads if you're really bothered.
>>
Well /g/?
>>
>>46623346
some other tools like vapoursynth will also work with y4m files/streams

having a header means you won't need to specify the format and dimentions of the video on the receiving end
>>
>>46623318
not sure why the checksum would be different

could be endianness, or simply the mpeg2 decoder outputs slightly different results
>>
File: 1420324247674.png (77 KB, 192x154) Image search: [Google]
1420324247674.png
77 KB, 192x154
>>46623400
There is no deleting posts on /g/
>>
>>46623462
It was h264 in this case. I don't know much about the AVC spec... but I do now there's some ambiguity as far as decoding mpeg2 streams like you said. So I'd be less surprised there.

I don't know. Maybe I'll open up a hex editor and view a smaller sample clip, look for differences.

Thanks fr the feedback. I think I understand a bit better how ffmpeg parses inputs now, doesn't seem so backwards.
>>
File: birthdray.jpg (20 KB, 314x388) Image search: [Google]
birthdray.jpg
20 KB, 314x388
>>46623467
I know I fucked up
>>
>>46623525
np

also, in most cases you shouldn't need to store raw video to disk, if you plan to use the output directly in another program, consider piping it to the other program

if it must be done to disk, use some fast lossless compression like huffyuv, you'll use much less space, and possibly go faster, depending on how fast your disk is
>>
>>46623594
It's stuff of varying framerates I concatenate together, and then supply the encoder with a timecodes file. x264 is nice in that it outputs its own finer grained version, which mkvmerge will take as is.
>>
Just installed MPV on my Debian Sid T60 and the text is not appearing correctly. Anyone know what the issue could be?
>>
>>46623664
can't say i've messed with putting together videos with different framerates

not sure how relevant it is, but you might be interested to know x264 can do pretty high speed lossless, too by specifying "-crf 0 -preset ultrafast" (ffmpeg commands)
>>
What is the fastest version of Firefox? Nightly? pcxFirefox? Something else?
>>
How does Windows 8/10 in a virtualbox compare to Windows 7 performance wise?
>>
File: terminator.jpg (100 KB, 953x536) Image search: [Google]
terminator.jpg
100 KB, 953x536
>>46623708
Fixed by adding -vo=opengl-old
>>
File: 05_ges8.jpg (351 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
05_ges8.jpg
351 KB, 1600x1200
Are they any bigger batteries (6 Cell) available for the Dell Latitude E7450?

It seems like i cant find any.
>>
i have a crt tv hooked up to an old laptop via composite which i mostly use to watch old 4:3 content. i recently tried to watch skygo on it and experienced this weird issue where the contrast would lower and the image would start to get all wavy as if the tube was dying. as soon as i close skygo it stops. i've never had anything like this happen before while watching stuff using flash in a browser and don't understand how it could affect the tube like that. any ideas what might be happening here?
>>
I want a windows 8 theme on my android but all I'm getting are fucking launchers.
>>
Just lost my android and i am 100% sure of that it is in the hands of someone other than mine. There is an SdCard on it with very sensitive data that i would NOT like to be in the hands of someone other than mine. Now i have Dropbox installed however i have not enabled the auto sync feature. Is there any way to do so using a computer rather than using the preferences in the app? Also is it possible to trace the phones location without an app?
>>
File: 1422941040846.png (348 KB, 826x970) Image search: [Google]
1422941040846.png
348 KB, 826x970
Assuming I have created an email in hushmail through of tor, and if I use it as my official email in a site such as Github. Will it throw my anonimosity away as I use github from a regular browser?
>>
>>46622924
the only problem is that the laptop doesn't detect external moniters?

you have to turn that on in the bios. I have a vaio with a broken screen and I can install windows only from within another installation pretty jokes (and cumbersome as fk when trying to install video card drivers) but at least I can still use it without having to fix the screen
>>
>>46624530
It's a desktop.
>>
what's a good FOSS solution to convert .mov files to .mp3?
>>
hey guys I'm looking at cuztomizing tumblr and the internet tells me that adding scripts like jquery should be done in the header (need to edit the theme)

however when I look at the coding already there for the theme I find script tags in the body. infact I found
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

so does it really matter where I put in my scripts?
>>
>>46624574
ffmpeg -i video.mov -b:a 192k audio.mp3

if the video already uses mp3 format audio, you can extract it as-is with;
ffmpeg -i video.mov -c copy audio.mp3
>>
>>46624426
It depends on who you want to appear anonymous from.

Yes your ISP can easily connect you're github and email to you. So can github itself and anyone who can see your IP address.

But from the internet? No not at all, you didn't even have to use Tor in the first place.

Note that some people think Tor has been compromised anyways, but that's only from the government. But normally one wouldn't want the ISP to know only because of the potential that the government can find out from the ISP anyways.. so... yeah.....
>>
easiest/quickest way to make a gif or webm from an mp4? I want to cut it aswell though

I tried virtualdub it doesnt fucking open mp4s no matter what plugin I use

botnet software need not apply
>>
I can't seem to get my PC to acknowledge my new hard drive. I have the SATA cable plugged into the motherboard as well as the power cable plugged to the HD and PSU; however, when I open up Windows Explorer, I get nothing. I'm using a new set of SATA cables, and oddly enough, my other HDD that uses one of those new cable is working fine. Not sure what the issue is here. I might need to format it, but I'm not seeing any option, and booting into the BIOS on Windows 8.1 is... Well, I don't even know how to do it.
>>
>>46624556
oh... right..... no bios sounds? that sounds really fucked.

Only way to really trouble shoot is replacing each component; so no you need a different video card and possibly a different motherboard...
>>
>>46624760
ffmpeg or one of those webm for retard programs on github.
>>
My warrior and loyal friend of PC is a Q6600 with a Sapphire 7770.
I'm also a poorfag and live in a third world shithole that taxes the shit out of electronic parts.

Still, I'll be looking to upgrade in the future. Naturally, costs become a priority, but I also want a decent build.

Anyway, questions. What's the top dog of AMD now? The 8320/50? Or the A10s? How do the APUs even work, do I need a dedicated GPU? If I have an APU and a GPU, will they work nice together or is it just a waste?
>>
Is the Nexus 5 still a good phone? I don't have too much money to spend on a phone at the moment, and I feel like it would still do fine for like two years.
>>
>>46624653
it does depending on what you want to do.
If it's your code and you know scripts are at the end, put everything at the end.
If you know idiots will handle your code or there might be some dynamic includes that can have javascript, put it on top.
>>
>>46624760
https://github.com/nixxquality/WebMConverter
>>
Best way to recover data on a hard drive what program?
>>
File: WP_20150206_013.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150206_013.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>46624819
oneplus one is 360 with tax and no invites are needed every tuesday. Got mine in 4 days.
>>
>>46624819
I still have a galaxy nexus, so I'd say sure, why wouldn't it.
>>
Is the Oneplus One a good phone? What other phone is better that doesn't cost 900$ after tax? Also, not the Moto /g/.
>>
hey guys. i have Adobe photoshop on my macbook pro 2011. i want it on my home PC because my macbook keeps crashing and restarting on its own.

is it possible to somehow email my PC the photoshop program from my macbook? or would i just have to buy it separate from my PC
>>
How can i keep this shit to update on its own?
>>
What do you guys usually do for windows updates? Should I have it automatically install updates weekly or should it never install or what? I lag like shit when it's downloading updates for some reason too
>>
>>46624923
i have it set to check only

when i feel like it i'll let it download and install them manually
>>
So, I have decided to dualboot Linux and Win 7, /sqt/ can decide which distro I will install. I have used Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro etc etc before so I'm ok with anything except Gentoo.

Arguments for your choices are a plus.
>>
File: LinX Screenshot.png (59 KB, 991x533) Image search: [Google]
LinX Screenshot.png
59 KB, 991x533
I'm trying to test stability of an overclock between voltages, but for some goddamn reason LinX isn't doing a goddamn thing.

It's supposed to be something like 45 minutes for 15 passes, so I want to use it as an initial stability test since I ain't got 12-24 hours for Prime95 to test every goddamn voltage I try.

Is there an easier way to test between voltages, or am I going to have to spend my entire goddamn week overclocking and testing this CPU?

>8350 OC'd @ 4.6Ghz & 1.34V
>Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 Rev 4.0 Mobo
>>
>>46624825
but anon. I am the idiot

i plan on using <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.adipalaz.com/scripts/jquery/expand.js"></script>

which has functions. his example was in the header so i'll just do that lol
>>
I have a Windows machine and a Linux machine. The Linux machine runs Samba and mounts a shared folder that's on the Windows machine. The share is read-only though. I can't write anything to the Windows machine from the Linux machine. I want to change that.

On the Windows machine I've set every permission I can find for the shared folder to "Read-write" or "full access". On the Linux machine I've made sure that everyone has r/w access to the folder where the share is mounted to. I've dismounted and remounted the share. None of this has worked and the Linux machine still says it can't write to the shared folder.

What am I missing?
>>
>>46624987
it has to be after jquery.js
>>
File: Untitled.png (38 KB, 996x708) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38 KB, 996x708
Im running into this retarded font spacing issue on battle.net and I can't find anything on their forums about it.
Is this related to my own font settings and if so how can I change it?
>>
>>46624908

Might be able to use the same serial, not sure. Too big to email.
>>
>>46624908
Did you buy it or steal it?
>>
File: getthemoneysee.png (18 KB, 560x890) Image search: [Google]
getthemoneysee.png
18 KB, 560x890
What exactly is required to make a website where users could create their own accounts/profiles to display? Could this be doable with javascript or would I need other resources? I'm talking very basic here.
>>
>>46624975
>It's supposed to be something like 45 minutes for 15 passes, so I want to use it as an initial stability test since I ain't got 12-24 hours for Prime95 to test every goddamn voltage I try.
Why not just run Prime95 for 45 minutes, and if it hasn't crashed say "It's probably stable, I'll test the next voltage"? Then when you've zeroed in on the location you want to be at, then you run the 24-hour test.
>>
Someone claimed HBM won't be used for main memory in home systems. I am wondering why they say that. Any ideas?
>>
Anyone know of a decent audio interface/mixer with phono in that I can connect my PC and turntable to? i would buy a new stereo, but I'm a bit tight on space, and I'd like to have both connected to one device so I don't have to unplug my headphones and move them back and forth.
>>
>>46625086
>phono
What?
>>
>>46625031
it came with the macbook i bought. it was a used one. im pretty sure the guy who i bought it from actually purchased it though.

id just prefer to not pay for something i already have, but can hardly use.
>>
I'm trying to do some work in Python. I wasn't ever terribly proficient, but I was somewhat literate, could probably write the kind of program I'm wanting to do at the moment.

But I lost my python notes with a hard drive, and am having trouble looking up what I'm keen on, namely basic commands and syntax for it. Where's a good place to look up samples of simple python code/basic syntax?
I'd understand it if I see it, I just can't remember it.
>>
Is systemd worth emerging 292 packages yet before gentoo is installed?
>>
>>46625158
unpopular opinion: systemd isn't bad at all
I use it (though on Fedora, not Gentoo or Arch or any of the approved ricer distros) and I don't mind it one bit. Go ahead and use it.
>>
>>46622443
best way to rip copyright protected dvds and blurays?
is anydvd any good? want to make me a backup of my elder scrolls games
>>
I have an x220
I pirated windows 7 on it
It has no network drivers
I can't find out the model of the wifi module because it's unrecognzied
What do
>>
>>46625272
makemkv
>>
just bought new SSD. how do i get my steam games to work? do i have to create a symbolic link for every game?
>>
>>46625297
just for movies, isn't it?
>>
>>46625294
Go on Lenovo's site and download the drivers they provide for x220.
Alternatively, install loonix. For what is possible on a laptop, a Linux distro will provide it.
>>
>>46625032
php and mysql.
>>
Is 135 euroshekels good for a Moto G 2nd gen?
>>
>>46625331
When installing games, Steam will ask you where to install them. You can create a new Steam library on your SSD. This enables you to have some games on the SSD and some on a spinning-disc drive without fucking around with NTFS hard links and shit like that.

Welcome to the modern era.
>>
>>46624726
That was helpfull, anon. Thanks
>>
is there any real world difference between a 512gb MX100 and a 256gb 850 Pro.

When I mean real world i'm talking about boot times, opening up a web browser, searching through pics, thumbnail load times, saving pics from 4chan.
>>
I have a csv file that is filled with thousands of entries along the lines of:
House, Green
House, Red
House, Blue
Tower, Green
Tower, Orange
Tower, Purple

and so on. What data structure can I use (in Java) to store all these tuples which allows me easy access like "give me all tuples where the first element is 'House' ".

I was already thinking about stuffing this input into a database because there I can then just do something like
SELECT * FROM mytable t WHERE t.firstitem = 'House'

But I was hoping somebody might know a way to skip the database detour here.
>>
>>46625368
>>46625331
Alternatively, you can use symlinks.

If you don't want to mess around with the commandline then there is this.
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
Also works well for RAMDisks.
>>
My Laptop suddenly stopped shutting itself down and just turns off the hdd so I have to turn it off manually.

What's wrong with it, /g/ ?
>>
>>46625451
>Java
idk about java, but in other languages I would use an associative array of the left field to an array or list of the right field.

data = {
House: [Green, Red, Blue],
Tower: [Green, Orange, Purple]
};

You could read in lines as tuples and do append(data[line[0]], line[1]) to fill the array. Hope that steers you in a good direction.
>>
>>46622834
Anyone? Not really asking about the price, just if front or back is better*
>>
How the fuck do i de authenticate an emaill adress on android (Yahoo) just like the same way you do with facebook.
>>
>>46625353
I just want to watch videos without screen tearing
Every linux distro I've tried has horribad screen tearing
>>
>>46625451
Hashmap of lists

Is that a bad idea? It's how I'd do it, but for some reason it strikes me as a bad idea.
>>
>>46625534
Thanks, it did.
>>
>>46625577
Install a compositor. If you don't want to trouble yourself with setting it up then Ubuntu and Crunchbang come set-up with a compositor. Or you can browse Lenovo's driver site.
>>
>>46625630
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x220?c=1

There's just a download for a bluetooth driver...
>>
Does anyone know how to automatically add music to iTunes from a specific folder? Not the folder that imports it and requires iTunes to manage the folder structure. The collection is growing and it takes forever to delete the library and re-add the folder. Running on a Windows VM for syncing to an iPod.
>>
>>46625569
Remove the account?
>>
>>46624762
Should I prepare to return it? Is there a way I can test for a dead drive?
>>
Got a letter from my ISP.

What's the best proxy/vpn service available?
>>
>>46625700
Did you try googling the model number for a list of specs? Then you could download drivers from the manufacturers site.
>>
>>46622443
>Learning C
>Not learning glorious Machine Code
Okay, kid.
>>
>>46625705
You know Foobar has an iPod add-on.
>>
File: 1397463188593.jpg (28 KB, 500x467) Image search: [Google]
1397463188593.jpg
28 KB, 500x467
My brother is looking for a new computer for home around $500. I told him it's possible I could put together a box for $500 that would be more than sufficient.

His use is going to be primarily streaming video via Netflix, as well as normal business stuff including teleconferencing.

The thing is I can easily do this hardware-wise for $500, but when you throw in the software he'll need by default (Windows and Microsoft Office) it leaves less than $300 to spend on the entire build.

That takes the build from "can easily do this no problem and throw in some quality gear" to "lol well this is going to be some bargain basement chit that is using sub-par parts"

Compared to the average Microcenter $499 deal that is going to get you some support on the product (compared to cracking open the case and going through the individual part RMA) and all the hazards involved in doing an actual build...

My question is: Is it worth it to try and part him out a setup with the best quality stuff I know for $300 (Mobo with good caps, reputable brands, etc) but also deal with the build, or just send him to Microcenter with $500 and let him get a pre-built box that might have some garbage pieces in it?

Thanks in advance for any answers
>>
>>46625003
don't use windows scaling
>>
Okay. So, I put a laptop hard drive in my other desktop for storage. But now my first HD in it changed to sdb and the other is sda. It sort of fucked up a lot of stuff parittion wise. Any idea why or how to fix? It's just odd how it's setup. I'd like to explain better if I could. It's not like my main desktop with SSD and storage.

Maybe if I reistall and THEN add the storage hd that would work better?
>>
>>46625885
No, it isn't worth it. Even the 'best stuff you know' is going to be shit at $300. Go for a pre-built or pirate the software.
>>
>>46625923
change priority in BIOS ?
>>
Is it too late to get a refund for a GTX 970? I just want a full, or at least close to full partial refund so I can just get an R9 290 or something.

I got mine back on September 30th last year from Newegg (Gigabyte G1 Gaming). I wasn't really aware of any issues with it until recently, but I've been having several performance problems including crashing with several games, and I think its due to the 970, either the drivers or something else.
>>
>>46625950
You know some assembly, but are new to programming? What.

I would do something higher level like Python or Go. Both have excellent documentation and Python has several tutorial for programming beginners like Learn Python The Hard Way and the Python tutorial in codecademy.
>>
>>46625947

I figured it wasn't worth it at that price level with the software eating up so much of the budget.
>>
>>46625981
Oh, also I've been getting the occasional BSOD with windows 8.1, something that never once happened until I upgraded to the 970. It has to be related.
>>
>>46625903
how do I change that? I am at 100% DPI if that's what you mean
>>
>>46626039
I don't know about pirating Office, but you use Daz Loader on the OS and save yourself $100, then try to make something work with $400 or front the build some cash yourself, if you aren't NEET.
>>
Where do you guys buy your cans of duster? I've been using Frys but I need to switch to someplace cheaper.
>>
>>46626011
I don't know assembly well I know some basic stuff cause a few years ago I wanted to learn to make cracks but ended up dropping learning it.
Only knew stuff like jumps nops etcetera
>>
>>46625956
You know. That could be it actually. That one thing I didn't check. I just know I never had the issu ebefore. WIll look into it thanks. extra stupid thign I should have tried. But dunno.

I mean. The sata slots arent in any specific order correct?
>>
Best iso to usb writer for Windows 7?
>>
>>46626180
YUMI if you are looking for boot shit. 7zip if you are just trying to make isos for data storage.
>>
>>46625750
anyone?
>>
I've got a stupid question about this HDD.

I've got this 500gb Hitachi laptop drive as an external drive in an enclosure.
It's divided in two partitions; H and I.
The smaller H: partition works just fine and the bigger I: partition says as following:
"I:\ is not accessible, the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

I've tried dskchk with no results, it says the drive isn't readable, aborting chkdsk and something like that.

what should i do to recover the drive as accessible, without losing the data in it?
>>
>>46626211
Thanks.
>>
>>46625750
>>46626218
1. Letter from your ISP means nothing. Media companies don't warn you if they're going to sue you, and ISPs won't shut off your internet, they'll just threaten, since if they do shut you off they lost a customer. sauce: I've received... 3 letters? A friend has received dozens with no effect, and two other people I know were sued with no warning.

2. I use Private Internet Access. Good prices, good speed, lots of options for locations, and they accept damn near every form of payment, including those pre-paid credit cards you can buy at the store.
>>
>>46625840
Okay, found it. But it says I need iPhoneCalc.dll. I tried looking for it but all the sites look shady as hell and in the requirements list it doesn't say it's a part of iTunes. Have a link?
>>
File: IMG_20150218_174240.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150218_174240.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Help, my B key on my T400 just popped out and I have no idea how to put it back in! I have a ton of university work to do and I need my laptop at full force.
>>
>>46626220
Boot off a live USB linux distro, run fsck on it (make sure the distro you choose comes with NTFS support). If it finds errors, dd the whole drive to a backup drive, then try to fix it.
>>
Does the 960 have the 970's problems and did the small bus turn out to be a problem after all, or is it actually going to be a decent midrange upgrade (from OC'd 650ti)?
>>
>>46626359
Line it up
Push hard
My 600E used to do that.
>>
>>46626345
http://yuo.be/ipod.php
There is a link for the iPhoneCalc Library, should work.
>>
File: steftrikia.png (9 KB, 199x199) Image search: [Google]
steftrikia.png
9 KB, 199x199
I am getting a free iphone 5. I use T mobile. Can I just place my Sim card in the iPhone and everything is normal? I hope fucking so. One dude at a phone place said yes. But I have also heard no from a couple normies.
>>
>>46626430>>46626430
I tried that but the key just keeps coming off with the mechanism stuck to it
>>
>>46622443
How do I disable Firefox tab scrolling or at least increase the amount of tabs that can be opened before it starts? Setting tab min-width CSS does not seem to work
>>
>>46626459
Mediafire removed it due to a ToS violation.
>>
So since logical increments is bad according to 4chan, where does someone who knows shit all about computer find out what parts to get for a build?
>>
>>46626571
Google research
>>
File: xDDDDDD.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
xDDDDDD.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>46625389
??
>>
>>46626390
i have absolutely no idea about all this, isn't there any way to repair the partition tables or something?
>>
File: 1423518383015.jpg (21 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1423518383015.jpg
21 KB, 396x400
>>46626571
Logical increments isn't bad. Use it.
>>
>>46624998
guise?
>>
>>46626571
Logical increments.

Logical increments is shit if you actually know a few things about consumer computer parts. If you literally know shit all, it's still the best way to go. If you want parts better tuned for your needs, then use benchmarks for the applications most relevant to you, and read up on part quality. Just make sure you know about the compatibility between parts (big ones beeing mobo-CPU, mobo-RAM, and power draw-PSU).
>>
>>46626603
Not while your OS is running off of that hard drive. Think about it.
>>
>>46626359
looks like the type where you have to hook the top part of the plastic 'scissor' into the metal hooks at the top, then press it down
>>
Having trouble getting Flash Player to work on Chromium. I'm assuming that I'm missing something.
>>
>>46626571
>logical increments is bad according to 4chan

its not perfect buts its a good guideline, especiallly if you want just a raw gaymen machine.

Their section below the parts list where they talk about each hardware, what it is/does, importance of it, and recommendations is something you should defo read.
>>
File: latest.jpg (331 KB, 719x1073) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
331 KB, 719x1073
>>46626664
it's external, no OS or anything, just my media and A LOT OF PORN
>>
>>46624810

pls
>>
>>46626668
You were right. It wasn't obvious as it should have been because the hooks were bent downward. I broke one of them while trying to pry them up but the key is back in and seems to be working normally for now
>>
Is there a general consensus on what antivirus is good for what? I've been using Avira free for a while but I have a shitty friend who may or may not intalled some shitty rootkit on my PC that could be hard to remove without formatting my whole PC.
>>
>>46627160
>rootkit
format it. once something's sunk it's claws into windows' innards it's almost impossible to remove without causing damage. Vanilla malware that just cares about serving you ads? Yeah, that stuff can be taken off, but a rootkit, even a shitty one, means its time to reinstall.
>>
Hey, could I get the speaker recommendation pic?
>>
>>46627259
oh that sucks.. im gonna try looking in forums what to do and format if its totally impossible to remove
>>
>>46626551
Fags. Not sure what to do, the develop of the plugin jumped ship apparently and it doesn't support devices above an iPod 4. you might just have to use iTunes.

To solve you original question do you have to use their faggy-ass music player? You could just upload the music like regular files and use a music player that can work with that.
>>
>>46626619
Are you sure it isn't a samba configuration issue and not a file permission issue?
>>
>>46627332
>Not sure what to do, the develop of the plugin jumped ship apparently and it doesn't support devices above an iPod 4
Not sure what you can do, the developer of the foobar plugin jumped ship and it doesn't support devices above an iPhone 4.
>>
Is there a way to hook up a GPU fan onto the motherboard instead? Something's up with my video card and I can't regulate the speed of one of the fans, so it's always at full, headache-inducing 100%. I figure if I hook it up through the mobo it should let me work with it.

Pic possibly related.
>>
>>46627332
I did some more research, it was hosted on a media monkey plugin site at one point but it got removed as well. Guess I'm stuck with iTunes for the time being. Appreciate the help though. Once the 7th gen nano dies I will be switching to some kind of Fiio player, where I can just use Clementine to manage it.
>>
How do I adjust mouse wheel scrolling steps in Mozzarella Furfox?
>>
What are "must-have" ssh packages on arch? I don't want some fuckass to rm -rf / me at random.
>>
>>46627351
it shouldn't be. But then again I'm awful at this stuff. I never was able to get browsing the network with a file manager to work, in either direction. I have a script that calls
mount -t cifs -o username=u,password=p //192.168.1.2/remote/path /local/path

Which I know is poor security but it was the only way I could get it working. And it does work, just fine, so long as I only need read access (I have an rsync script that runs my backups) And the username and password I'm giving it is my main account on the windows machine. Which owns the shared folder and has full permissions to it.

Is there a setting in Samba for "don't ever mount anything r/w" that I missed? does mount itself say "read-only unless you say otherwise"? (I didn't think it did) What else would be a likely Samba config problem?
>>
>>46627332
And yes, after 5th gen nano Apple changed a bunch of shit so hardly any players or libraries work with them and probably won't unless some reverse engineering miracle happens. I was lucky enough to get it working from a VM.
>>
>>46627504
use "-o ro" to tell mount to mount read-only

that is, "-o username=u,password=p,ro"

rw for read/write
>>
>>46627551
also, i think mount does rw if the source supports it by default
>>
How much is a used 1440p monitor
>>
>>46627575
100$ maybe you can find it for less
depending on the quality and how broken it is
>>
>>46627551
oh, if you meant you want the samba share itself to be read-only, add "read only = yes" to the share definition
>>
how come whenever large-scale ddos happens and the perpetrators get caught, they're always 15 year olds who can barely spell
>>
File: 1422747848646.jpg (260 KB, 800x609) Image search: [Google]
1422747848646.jpg
260 KB, 800x609
Trying to do RegEx in PHP.

I need to match the following (without quotes): "[@banner]", "[@footer]".
What I have right now (without quotes): "\[\@banner\]".

I'm unable to figure out the asterisk part.
>>
>>46624810
FX 8320 or above if you want performance
A10 or other AMD apus if you want a good budget PC. their best apu can even run BF4 on ultra! at 30 fps. and you can add a graphics card and run it in crossfire with your apu.
>>
>>46627484
What do you mean? Just properly configure your sshd_config. Disable root login and if you're extra paranoid only allow login with ssh keys.
>>
>>46627600
The real question is why there are so many illiterate 15-year-olds.
>>
>>46627484
ssh-server, ssh-client

That's it. Run it on a non-standard port and if its only you connecting to the server turn off password auth for key auth only. If you don't have it already set up, then set up ufw or iptables manually.
>>
>>46627600
botnets aren't that expensive. DDoS is probably the lowest form of "hacking"
>>
>>46627604
my room layout, desk, computer setup, chair and bed all look basically the same as this

should i be concerned?
>>
>>46627586
well it's not a shared folder on the Linux machine that I'm using, since I was never able to get Windows to see one. The network share is on the Windows machine and I want the Linux box to have r/w access to it. The share isn't in smb.conf, I just have a script that runs that mount command. I didn't see anything in smb.conf that seemed like it was related to what I'm trying to do, though I know there's ten billion things you can put in there that aren't in the example comments it comes with.

>>46627551
unmounted and remounted passing rw with the -o option, no effect.
>>
>>46627608

> their best apu can even run BF4 on ultra! at 30 fps
What resolution?
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 1136x640
Where does this plug into? The power supply unit? So both things off the motherboard go into the power supply unit??

Also which orientation, say top left or top right or bottom right, etc.
>>
>>46627658
20x16
>>
>>46627619
>>46627610
thanks boys, I'll do that
>>
How much could i get a used 1440p monitor for?
>>
>>46627648
>unmounted and remounted passing rw with the -o option, no effect.
you can switch between ro and rw without unmounting

mount -o remount,rw /local/path

>well it's not a shared folder on the L...
is the folder shared with rw access? does the user you're logging in with have said write permission?
>>
>>46627642
Only if you're sitting in the same position as the man in the pic.
>>
>>46627689
that's what i feel like most of the time
>>
File: 248.jpg (20 KB, 203x248) Image search: [Google]
248.jpg
20 KB, 203x248
>>46627661
Look on the side of the connector, does it say CPU or GPU/PCI-E?

Orientation is always "match the plastic lock with the plastic tab". The angled corners of the plastic connector don't really let you plug it in any other orientation, anyway.

Looks like GPU 8 pin power cable to me, it's meant for graphics cards.
>>
>>46627736
Thanks man. That clears it up a bit. Only piece I still have yet to buy is the graphic card
>>
>>46627685
>is the folder shared with rw access? does the user you're logging in with have said write permission?
Yes. Folder is shared with read, change and full control checked, both for the username I'm using and for "everyone".
>>
>>46627658
720p with AMD A10-7850K
pretty impressive for integrated graphics. its equivalent to having an AMD R7 card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISWl-XdQzo
>>
I was thinking about buying an notebook cooler (external fan) for my MBP.
The temperatures this thing reaches are way too high which leads to severely decreased performance.
I was looking at some external fans, but they all look weak as fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu7ze-WOwkk
At 2 minutes in this video you can see this well reviewed laptop cooler unable to blow a napkin away.
Is there a reason for external fans being this weak? Are there any external fans that don't suck ass?
>>
>>46627806
idk then, i always run into weird problems when sharing things from windows, but if i get as far as mounting it it usually works fine from there
>>
How do I hook up a new PSU without fucking anything up?
>>
>>46627820
Noise is an issue
>>
>>46627820
>Is there a reason for external fans being this weak? Are there any external fans that don't suck ass?
I'd imagine it's to keep noise down.
>>
>>46627850
eh, back to the drawing board I guess. I knew it couldn't be a good sign when no amount of tinkering made network browsing work, from either machine. Thanks anon
>>
>>46627881
>>46627882
Is there any laptop fan that doesn't worry too much about noise and focuses more on performance?
>>
>>46627914
buy a desktop :^)
now srsly, maybe you could hook up some fans directly to a PSU and put it near your laptop in some special angle or something... maybe use your laptop in a cooler room?
>>
>>46627872
Connect everything where it fits.
>>
>>46627683
Thats not stupid. Thats lazy.
>>
>>46627459
You can use KatMouse.
>>
For some reason the last couple of days my internet has been really really slow to the point I think its not normal anymore.

Not only Youtube videos, images but also well seeded torrents start downloading at slow speed and this has started to worry me.

What could this be? How do I check if someone else is using my network? How can I fight this?
>>
This seems as good a place as any to ask.
Are sound cards any good? Do they incorporate a DAC or something? I'm a complete novice at anything related to high end audio shit and I'd like some advice before spending money on worthless shit.
>>
>>46627280
Yeah, why not.

>>46626690
Ok. Whats the question?
>>
>>46622443

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Programming/Print_version
>>
File: M20000878417_2.jpg (71 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
M20000878417_2.jpg
71 KB, 1000x1000
>>46627943
That seems like a good idea.
Atm I've been resorting to pointing my Rowenta fan at it full blast, and it does work to a certain extent, but it's not really the most practical solution.
>>
>>46625522
Gib moar details.
>>
I just got a new laptop. When the battery gets to 20% it just sleeps. When I turn it back on it says 0%. My settings tell it to notify me at 15% which it has yet to do.

wat do?
>>
>>46625361
Probably.
>>
>>46624961
>you can decide
>so what do you want from us?
>manjaro|arch
>>
>>46628002
you will only need some minimal electricity knowledge. I had a friend make a fan go directly with PSU but i must admit its a bit too much power for it. he also made a fan into USB but that was less than half the power its supposed to get so it didnt really spin fast at all :P
try your luck!! hope it works for you
>>
>>46628037
thanks bro
>>
>>46628016
the percent-remaining number comes from the battery firmware telling the computer "I think I have X amount of charge left". If the firmware is miscalibrated, your problem happens. Some firmware will figure things out after the battery's been given some more cycles and it gets a better grasp on how it's particular cells behave. Some firmware will just be like that and there's nothing you can do.

use your laptop's battery and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, well, sorry. Tell Windows to treat 25% as critical battery.
>>
>>46628002
There's also laptop coolers that allow you to place move fans around. It would keep that clusterfuck organized.
>>
How does one enable an openSUSE repository on Fedora? I want to replace Rekonq on my Fedora 21 KDE install and replace it with the Firefox as used in openSUSE. How do I achieve this?
>>
>>46628077
is there a way to recalibrate it? I saw someone mention that when I was googling the problem but I'm not sure if I could find it again...

althought I DID uninstall the manufacturer's power program because it was making my settings reset every time that I plugged the charger in

did I go full retard?
>>
>>46627980
This is neat, but I'd prefer an about:config tweak.

Thanks anyway
>>
>>46628116
Get it from the manufacturer's site and reinstall it. It'll probably have an option to recalibrate it (be careful when doing it, though).

It sounds like your battery's firmware is bad, however.
>>
>>46628116
>is there a way to recalibrate it?
cycle the battery a few times. no you can't do it manually, all the manufacturer's program does is play with Windows's power-saving settings. They write a program that does that so their marketing shitheads can say "Look at our PROPRIETARY EXCLUSIVE application!" And because its easy to write since Windows has APIs for changing this stuff. I'd bet my genitals that program doesn't talk to the battery firmware.
>>
So in my index file I have
$('#result').text($('#mismatch').text());

But instead of changing the value for 'result', it leaves it blank.
But running the same code on the js console changes the value of 'result' to the value of 'mismatch'.
What am I doing wrong here?
>>
I know python. I have a project I want to start that I'm doing because it'll make my life easier, not just for fun. I want to learn another language to do it in. Do I learn;

Java? I want to get into android development at some point, since I spent a lot of time with my phone.
C#? I hear it's basically Java, but better/cleaner. If this is wrong, it'll affect my decision. Also very employable because of unity/iOS.
C++? I could write the project in python and experiment with C++ optimization. Would have the upside that I get much better at python, but doesn't really help my employability as much a writing a whole other project in a new language.
>>
File: 2mhbxu8.jpg (281 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2mhbxu8.jpg
281 KB, 1024x768
I read auto-overclock function on motherboards is pretty bad. Whats a good, simple way of overclocking a CPU on a low-end motherboard? pic related. i have auto OC at 5% with FX-8350
>>
File: res.png (26 KB, 1282x456) Image search: [Google]
res.png
26 KB, 1282x456
>>46628169
Let me rephrase that, I have set a default value for 'result', it does not leave it blank but instead changes it to blank.
>>
>>46628169
>>46628239
Are you sure #mismatch already has a value when you try to use it as the text value for #result?
>>
>>46628189
go c#
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.