[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I get that paying $50 for each season of every show you want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 12
File: Netflix_Web_Logo.png (9 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Netflix_Web_Logo.png
9 KB, 600x300
I get that paying $50 for each season of every show you want to watch is a silly, but what's the point of piracy now that the market has much better alternatives?
>>
>>45813871
>better alternative than free

nigger are you retarded?
>>
>>45813871
Because that alternative doesn't contain the thing I'm pirating? If something is not available in my region then that is the only option.
>>
>>45813871
>has to be played in a browser or on s proprietary application

Nope.
>>
>>45813891
>Supporting the shows you're watching
Nigger I don't think so
>>
>>45813891
>implying price trumps convenience at an above-average income

That said, NZBDrone/Sonarr/whateverthefuck and Plex are convenient as fuck.
>>
IMO the only reason to not pirate is "muh IMAX experience," and DVD extras. Then again I'm poor af.
>>
>>45813871
>mfw episodes of TV shows are broken constantly on Netflix.
>>
File: jim.jpg (46 KB, 821x726) Image search: [Google]
jim.jpg
46 KB, 821x726
>>45813955
>he's never downloaded an iso of disk 2
>>
I had a netflix subscription, it was nice to have any movie at your beck and call with no torrenting.
However, the more I used it, the more I found myself torrenting things because that particular movie or show i wanted to watch wasn't available.

So I canceled my netflix subscription.
It's a nice convenient service, but only if they carry exactly what you like.

Besides, their selection of anime is garbage.
>>
>>45814021
literally no one bothers uploading the audio commentary, it's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>45814048
Most people don't want that bloat on their hard drives.
That's enthusiast-tier, and those people are probably buying the blurays to support the show anyway.
>>
>>45814036
try crunchyroll, netflix is obv not oriented toward the net.
>>
>>45813926
>implying $50 a season for everything does anything for any one show
Buy a DVD, fag.
>>
File: 1413751152775.gif (230 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
1413751152775.gif
230 KB, 400x355
Lets not beat around the bush. We know it's "illegal" and "wrong" to pirate. We know its in bad taste at least. But the idea is there and it isn't going away no matter how much cheaper the cost is. It will always come down to the access to information (software movies and the experience gained through their "consumption")

I would know jack shit about OS X and Windows and Photoshop and After Effects and etc etc if I didn't pirate them. I feel like some companies (adobe) know this already and use it to their advantage.

I'm not going to fucking wait until I get my hands on it by legal ways. If I want to learn or experience something im going to want it the moment I want it.
>>
File: 1416789496503.jpg (1008 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1416789496503.jpg
1008 KB, 3000x2000
>>45814048
>>45814061
I agree, but I was really just being factious on the internet.
>>
>>45813871
are they done with the massive updates or are there still a bunch of things not available for streaming?
>>
File: FUCK.jpg (32 KB, 338x338) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.jpg
32 KB, 338x338
>>45814068
I'm not supporting the crunchyjew, especially after their Japanese government-sanctioned attempts at DDOSing NyaaTorrents for 2 solid weeks.
>>
Reasons why I pirate

>internet becomes shit one day
>can't stream because awful quality

>internet goes out
>can't watch anything

>can watch any movie/tv show anywhere I go without wifi
>>
>>45814068
>let's watch ippo
Oh
>alright I'll watch gunbuster
Oh
Repeat forever.
>>
>>45814078
>Implying DVDs were ever the main source of revenue for shows.

Networks pay money to show creators to create shows. Networks in turn make money from advertising (traditionally) and subscriptions (in the case of networks like HBO). Services like Netflix bring that model into the modern era. In the last few years, DVD sales and merchandise have just been bonuses for whoever owns the show's copyrights.
>>
File: 1418865171279.jpg (31 KB, 408x360) Image search: [Google]
1418865171279.jpg
31 KB, 408x360
>>45814127
lol an internet prepper, thought yall died out with y2k scare
>>
>>45814137
>ippo
mein negger
>>
>>45814127
You can download any movie you bought on Google Play, same with your music.
>>
>>45814199
true, but a netflix account doesn't count as buying it
>>
>>45814215
Yeah paying $8 a month shouldn't mean you can own their entire catalogue. My point was that the platform for "a good, hassle-free experience," in watching films is there as the OP suggests, but people keep ranting about it because they want to justify pirating for some reason.
>>
>>45814279
yeah but the google play thing only covers things you've digitally purchased from them right? how's their catalogue? selection is by far the most compelling reason for most folks to pirate
>>
>>45814327
I suppose that's a valid point, some people find it inconvenient to go to the movies. I hope The Interview paves the way for future digital releases, it was nice being able to rent that.
>>
>>45814279
>>45814078
>>45814145
>>45814215
>>45814327
There is literally nothing wrong with being a pirate.
>>
>>45814355
Preaching to the choir man.
>>
>>45814147
As a US citizen internet failures are a very real danger.
>>
>>45814355
not saying there is, just that on the off chance that op is a market research type, I want him to be properly informed on where digital streaming services fall flat. I get that licensing is an issue but selection is important
>>
>>45813924
>pay $35 dollarydoos for shitty arm hdmi thingy
>run nonfree software on it
>???
>other freedoms secured.
>>
>>45814414
plz be using chromecast, the only non-free media centre u should be using.
>>
>>45813896
This.

/thread
>>
>>45814457
side note: If any private company is going to do work for the progress of man on earth, its Google.
>>
>>45814355
Studios give you more of what you pay for. People watching something they like without financially supporting it sends a message to the motion picture industry that they don't want it or anything else like it, so instead they start producing more terrible reality shows.
>>
>>45814533
So it's okay to pirate Dumb and Dumber Too? All pirating is wrong because it is stealing. It's just that none on the internet cares to hear whatever stupid justifications people have for it, at least I don't.
>>
>>45813871
can you watch it 13 miles off shore with no internet connection?
>>
>>45814533
>start producing more terrible reality shows.

are you serious? They already do that out the ass. they make shit movies because their stabbing in the dark with these lowest common denominator movies to get even a margin of profit in anything that'll sell. Bad movies/shows will draw in their own audience, they don't fucking need me to go to mall cop 2 or watch BBT. You are the product being sold.
>>
File: hur.png (77 KB, 233x237) Image search: [Google]
hur.png
77 KB, 233x237
>>45814585
>steeling
I pirated D&D2 because I had no interest in getting off my ass and going to see it but I was curious enough to see the quality of the TS if it was "side watchable" (it was not, lost interest and closed it.). No interest in ever going, nothing of value was lost. Try again.
>>
>>45814533
chiken and egg argument bruh, did the bad content come first or the decision that shit wasn't worth paying for?
>>
>netflix
>pay money
>limited selection
>proprietary shitware to view stream
>can only watch between midnight and 5 am because shitty internet deal and no offline playback

>piracy
>pay nothing
>wider selections
>watch with whatever i want
>watch anytime i want
>>
Honestly I feel kinda guilty whenever I pirate products, whenever I do it's usually something that's vastly overpriced or too hard to find, or to test if the software works for my system.
>>
File: 1409187596881.gif (476 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
1409187596881.gif
476 KB, 215x194
>>45814639
>Pay nothing
Well I disagree with that. Money has to flow for the kind of streaming quality I require.
>>
>>45814639
Next you're going to say that Popcorn Time isn't hypocritical shit.
>>
>>45814629
You know what I mean. It had a price that the producer set and you used it without paying that price.

No one gives a fuck why you do it, you can continue to do it if you want, doesn't make it any less wrong.
>>
>>45814114
>Updates?
>>
>>45814655
explain
>>
>>45814727
lot's of shit isn't available for streaming yet. they're supposed to be in the process of updating their library of what's available for streaming
>>
>>45814765
still? Damn nigga im sitting here watching old school bugs bunny carttons in 720p. Upvote if you agree
>>
>Paying netflix instead of using popcorn time
Puh lease nigros
>>
File: 1418881001950.gif (505 KB, 209x209) Image search: [Google]
1418881001950.gif
505 KB, 209x209
Check your privilege MPAA scum.

When the MPAA decides my country should get a films release late fuck you i pirate it. When HBO Netflix amazon prime decide they don't want to offer their subscription service to my country fuck you I pirate it.

>mfw pirate
>>
Because Netflix's catalog isn't equal for every country. It's going to launch and likely flop in Australia next year.
>>
>>45815400
Fuck your wallabies. Fuck your Dingoes. Fuck your aboriginals. Fuck your lazy beach trash. Fuck your mumble-mouth accent. Fuck you Australia.
>>
>>45813871
I'm already paying for my damn internet, why should I have to pay again?
>>
>>45813871

because the selection a shit
>>
>>45814068
When it comes to chinese cartoons you're hurting yourself by not pirating, the fansubbing scene is filled with so many elitist autists that the quality is far beyond what any streaming service can provide.
>>
For where I live piracy is mostly about getting the content without waiting 2 years before we can legally buy it.

Its the reason why Game of Thrones was pirated so much here
>>
>>45815529
All that and you can't find actually decent shows better than 480p and subs ripped from the DVD.
>>
>>45815526
yeah the selection is shitty as fuck, most classics/good movies aren't on there, but I bet you all the shit movies are on there.
>>
>>45815620
A lot of older stuff doesn't have as much autism behind it, but new anime is usually "released" in relatively high quality.
>>
>>45815657
If it weren't for fansubbers, we'd still be watching hardsubbed xvid bullshit.
>>
File: Daiz Summoning Ritual.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Daiz Summoning Ritual.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>45815671
You know who to thank for that.
>>
>>45814355
NSA pls go
>>
>>45814048
I included the commentary tracks when I ripped an uploaded BTAS.
>>
>>45814725
>You know what I mean. It had a price that the producer set and you used it without paying that price.
You mean like if I watched it at a friend's house? Or in a waiting room? Or borrowed it from the library?
>>
So are there any extensions for Firefox that actually work for downloading HULU or Netflix videos? The two flash video downloaders I use can't touch it. Not even RealPlayer (lol) which actually gets some things from news sites that the others don't.

I'm trying to grab a 20/20 episode for my class (classroom wifi sucks) but I'm not yet ready to start trying every shady as fuck program out there.
>>
If its on Netflix I don't pirate it.
>>
>>45816358
Record your screen and fullscreen the video, wait for it to end.
>>
>>45814021
super kek
>>
>>45814068
> crunchyroll

u srsm8
>>
>>45814036
>netflix anime
With what they're doing to NnT they deserve to go out of business.

>>45814068
>crunchyroll
The only thing they're good for is getting ripped by HS for the people that want fast releases.
>>
>>45817544
Do not support Crunchyroll.
They're in cahoots with the japanese government to ddos anime sharing sites.
>>
>>45817562
>says only thing they're good for is getting ripped by HS
>supports crunchyroll
Pick one.
>>
>>45817597
By downloading HorribleSubs releases, you support crunchyroll.
>>
>>45817613
>By pirating a ripped stream you support the stream
uwot
Next you'll say downloading from netflix rippers supports netflix or downloading from dvd rippers supports the dvd's.
>>
>>45817613
exactly how does that work
>>
I don't like paying for digital media, it's the primary reason I dislike steam. I want a physical copy in my hand if I'm going to pay for something, I have 30 odd Blurays of my favourites I brought when BD started getting popular but I gradually lost interest because I had to wait too long for things to be released onto BD and they were over priced, options for anime are even worse as Japanese BDs are like $80 for two episodes and afaik don't have subs and the localized ones have shitty subs (Some still used yellow subs) and apparently see a decrease in quality.

I just wish DDL was still popular.
>>
>>45817641
You make the product being stolen seem like a product worth existing.
>>
>>45817656
But CR doesn't make a cent off of HS. If anything, CR is loosing money.
>>
>>45817677
I fucking hate it when I loose my money. This Piracy thing is horrible.
>>
>>45814725
Do you realize that a digital movie file can be replicated infinitely at no cost? I wouldn't go into a store and steal a DVD copy of a movie, but I'd sure as fuck download it. It's a file, not a product. You're paying for the fucking privilege of watching it when you could go and buy a real product,
>>
>>45814371
lol holy shit are you actually serious
If it ever happens, you have other shit to worry about rather than jacking off to Kari from Mythbusters.
>>
>>45813871

I can only watch Netflix on Chrome. Anyone know how I can fix Chromium or Firefox to watch it on there?
>>
>>45817877
that's an oddly specific reference
are you sure you're not projecting?
>>
>>45817697
afaik CR pays a license fee then everything else is profit so you're basically giving money to CR not the Anime studios.
>>
>>45817894
I didn't say you shouldn't jack off to her, I said it was a low priority with some catastrophe.
>>
do they refund when they take out tv/movie from netflix libary?
>>
When I can go to a library and anonymously fill up my external drive with whatever media I desire to watch on my offline systems, then I will stop advocating peer to peer file sharing. I reject your use of the word piracy in this context.
>>
>>45813871
>better alternatives
I finish work and every show I want to see is already downloaded in HD.
English 1080p movies rated over 7 on IMDb are torrented automatically.
I literally do nothing to access HD content for free these days. Netflix can't and won't compete with a decent RSS set up.
>>
>>45814048
Lots of people on HD-torrents.org upload with commentary.
>>
The problem with these film subscription services is that they're not complete libraries, want to watch a film that's already had its blu-ray release? Most of the times you're fucked. Want to watch old favourites like Fight club or Demolition man? Well that's not on Netflix, should have subscribed to something else. The market is getting cluttered with these film subscription services, the problem being they're all trying to get one niche, not having one giant library as a one size fits all. It's a start but by no means a fix for piracy.
>>
>>45813871
does anyone else.utterly despise the ui for netflix? I really find it useless
>>
>>45818235
The web UI is fucking awful, Android one is a bit better.
>>
>>45818154
How did you set downloading torrents automatically?
>>
>>45818598
flexget
>>
>>45818598
rss feeds
>>
I already posted about how Netflix isn't as good as my current set up (even if it were free) so imagine how little I cared when Netflix announced their Australian service is coming and will only be double the price of that in the US with less content available.
Living in Australia without piracy is not an option.
>>
>>45818632
this seems like an amazing project, thanks for sharing this

but i have few questions: i've seen an example on their site for using rlslog for downloading torrents, but isn't that site only for DDL like uploaded? I didn't see any example for TPB,KAT etc
>>
File: wat.png (187 KB, 960x1062) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
187 KB, 960x1062
>>45818694
Should work with most rss feeds.

Here is an example of mine that parses tv/ and anime/ to figure out what shows to download and also grabs every first episode of a new series on tokyotosho.info when new seasons start.
>>
Hoarding. I just can't live without having 15 TB of downloaded Chinese cartoons perfectly categorized and indexed.
>>
>>45820527
But anon, are you really going to watch boku no harem again?
>>
>>45818767
>not nyaa
>>
>>45820640
No, but just in case I ever want to in the future I am ready.

It's all about being future proof.
>>
>>45813871
I'm accustomed to my video being at least four gigabytes per hour. Netflix streams are much less than that and it shows.
>>
I cancelled my Netflix subscription just before the trial ran out.

The library in Germany just plain sucks. This is probably vastly different in the states, but there was not a single occasion where I searched for a specific film and found it. Not once.

I'm going to give Amazon a try, but I'm beginning to feel that streaming/VOD in general just isn't for me
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.