[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any makers on /g/ ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: makerspace2.jpg (226 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
makerspace2.jpg
226 KB, 640x480
I found out recently we have a local makerspace. Only problem is it's the only one and it's $100/mo. for membership. I assume it's for rent/electric.
>inb4 that's expensive and such
>any makers, what fees do you typically pay and what kinds of things do you work on?
>>
OP here. I just wanted to compare notes with any others before going to check it out, in case you're wondering what this post is even about.
>>
>>45803329
No clue what youre talking about m8, don't think anyone here does woodwork try /diy/ sorry :(

>TFW never used a power tool in my life

I'm just a simple desk jockey
>>
Makerspaces aren't just for wood and metal work. They also usually have arduino/robtics, arcade cabinets, and various other electrical projects as far as hardware is concerned.

Many also have software programming/hacker counterparts, which is where I would most fit in.

Though, it does seem like few people partake in them overall :( Thank you for your input though.
>>
>>45803665
On top of that, you'll also encounter other maker-minded people to collaborate with. So if you got an idea for a device, but don't know micro controllers too well, someone else there might be able to help. If you know metalworking, you might be able to lend your knowledge to someone else. So it's not just a place to rent the use of tools.
>>
>>45803665
Oh that actually sounds kind of fun and constructive, if you have a strong interest go for it. Building a MAME cabinet would be loads of fun if you have the money for it. For the software side would you just go there and bring a laptop and just shoot the shit/collaborate on projects with whoever else is there?
>>
>>45803329
Well, furnishing a tool shed cost quite a lot and it doesn't feature a CNC lathe or a reflow oven or anything, so a $100 makerspace membership might be the thing to go for if you are serious about that.

Well, assuming they at least have a CNC lathe.
>>
I live 3 minutes away from my local hackspace, its fucking great.
Our membership costs $25/month
To get the keys to the place is another $25/month ($50/month total).

I do all sorts of shit there...
I do my job from there on occasion. (I'm a sysadmin).
I fix random computers/laptops/electronics there.
I use the lazer cutter when I'm engineering/building stuff for projects.
Sometimes at 3AM I walk over, fire up the bandsaw and hammer away at one of my various projects.
Sometimes I drink there, or have an afterparty there after a night of partying.

I live in apartment, I don't have room for all the tools I have, let alone want.
I'd need to rent like a 2 car garage at least to house all my shit, and that's like $300/month in my area.
I pay $50, and I get all the space, all the tools I don't have (Lazer cutter, CNC machine, Lathe, Welder, Air compressor), and every single resistor/capacitor/chip/screw/nut/bolt/wire/led/or other part that I'd need to build something.
>>
>>45803729
If you have a project in mind I would definitely give it a go! Is it a month to month thing or do you have to become a yearly membership type deal?
>>
>>45803761
Sometime I go when I'm bored, and just want to hangout with people.
I learn so much random and useful shit there too just because I overhear people.
>>
Ive been meaning to go to the hacker space in Cardiff for over a year now, but im a socially awkward wanker so ive never built up the courage.
>>
>tfw NO makerspace in your city (population >100,000)
>tfw NO local computer or music scene at all
>tfw everyone you knew who were remotely interested have moved and/or refuse to talk to you anymore for some reason
>>
>>45803795
I didn't realise there was one in Cardiff, thanks for the heads up.
>>
File: 1307375131383.jpg (26 KB, 110x146) Image search: [Google]
1307375131383.jpg
26 KB, 110x146
>posting an actual technology thread that requires education and skills above what teenagers have on /g/
>expecting /g/ to know anything about technology except mainstream electronic dicking that any teenager is capable of like posting desktops, OS ricing, jerking on headphones and peripherals and just general casual baby tier shit

KEUEKUHEKUEHKEUHKUEHKUEHEKUHEKHEKUHEUHEKUEHKUEHKEHEKUHEKUHEKUH
>>
>>45803729
>>45803761

Yeah, since I found out about it a few days ago I've been considering checking it out since I've wanted to learn more of the hardware stuff and want to see what things I can pick up from other people for sure.

Thank you for your responses. I guess I'll have to just go check out their shop and see how it feels and whether I'll get my money's worth.

Still interested in other people's experiences and etc, so any other makers, please post :)
>>
>>45803761
Oh, and what kind of projects do you tend to work on if it's cool to ask?
>>
>>45803795
>but im a socially awkward wanker so ive never built up the courage.

Mate. It's fucking Cardiff. Have a bottle of whisky or Jaeger in your hand, and you'll fit in just fucking fine, as long as it's past 9 in the morning.
>>
>>45803933
Pfffft. Thanks ill take that to heart.
>>
>>45803932
Stuff I've worked on....
watercooling a dual opteron server (making my own water blocks)
Building antennas/satdishes for wireless adapters/repeaters/routers.
Using a Nvidia Jetson TK1 for wireless hacking and cracking (with it's keplar gpu).
Building a 12x1TB communal NAS box for all our data
Building a communal VMware server so members can have their own VMs
Setting up our PFsense firewall, the network, our 96 port rackmounted switch, cables such.
Setting up OpenVPN and so members can use network-capable devices remotely.
Building/maintaining/standardizing all the desktops/laptops we have in the space
Built our 3d modeling computer, for solidworks/autocad (2k monitor, Quadro 4000, 32gb ram, 8 core, 4 SSDs in raid)
Setup a windows domain too, so roaming profiles and such.

Another member built our VOIP system ( our PBX is a VM, on the vmware server I built).
We also built a big LED wall as a group.
Other dude does quadcopter workshops where you build a quad copter from scratch. lazer cut the air frame, code everything.
We made this doorchime robot thing thats lights up and plays sound files when the door opens. (quotes from marvin from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, or bender quotes from futurama).

We have a vending machine that has arduinos and raspberry pies in it.
Other dudes are building 3d printers and always meet up there.

Sometimes workshops happen, like python night, or building SMD dev board stuff.
>>
>>45804332
Those sounds like fun/worthwhile projects! Thanks again :)
>>
>>45803329
My university has a fablab which anybody can use freely. You have to pay for your materials of course but other than that you can use whatever the fuck you want. They got 3d printers, laser cutters, and pretty much every tool you can think about. And the guys who are running the lab are extremely helpful and knowledgeable
>>
>>45803795
>but im a socially awkward wanker so ive never built up the courage.
Everyone is socially inept there, it's normal.
Normal people are the weird ones.

You can pretty much talk code there and everyone will understand what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>45804373
Also, making LED RAVE BIKES, for bike raving.

We also throw like a big house party every couple of months and get shitfaced at the hackspace. Oh, and we have keg too.
>>
>>45803827
>unfriendly neckbeard detected
>>
>>45804400
Now that sounds like entertainment of the awesome sort!
>>
>>45803329
>Not just owning some tools...

Shit man, about the only thing I don't have and would like is a CNC mill - but I highly doubt these 'maker spaces' would cater for that without charging extra for use.
>>
>>45803329
>asking on greatest consumer board
>>
>>45803329
>>
>>45803329
>le epic make make hacker make raspbpi 3dprinting makerbot bot diy bot dronespace 3dprinting scene makespace studio hackspace

fucking kill yourself
>>
>>45804599
Gtfo, we don't need you.
>>
>>45804568
>>45804599
I'm amazed at how much thought went into that, you're totally going to make it far in life.
>>
>>45803329
I've worked as a carpenter for most of my life, but like the chef that doesn't cook for himself I barely make anything for myself in my spare time, I have made a few tables and birdhouses for family though. But when I'm making shit I'll usually just use my dads garage, I've never even heard of the concept of a makerspace, $100 a month doesn't sound too bad for a workshop though
>>
>>45804647
They are particularly good for diy minded people who live in cities where space is a premium so owning a garage big enough to fill with tools will be hella expensive

The community aspect is nice too.
>>
>>45804637
I'm doing just fine thanks

Back in my day we called it "woodworking" or "electronics" or "tinkering" at the very worst. We don't need new names for this stuff, you miserable fucking wannabe hipster. Lay off the buzzfeed for a while, your brain is damaged.
>>
>>45804680
>objects to the term "hackspace"
Are you stupid, or just dumb?
>>
>>45804680
The fuck? What do you propose? Tinkerspace? Electrowoodlab?
>>
>>45804709
>actually defending the term "hackspace"

Kindly refer to my previous instructions:
>>45804599
>>
>>45803329
Never heard of equipped workshop you can rent.
Pretty cool idea.
>>
>>45804680
>Make way for the edgy cool guy...
Back in my day we called it beating two rocks together...
>>
>>45804729

How about "workshop" like people have been saying for hundreds of years? Too old media for you? Not tweety enough?
>>
>>45804709
Maybe he just doesn't understnad why kids have to make everything 'EDGY' and 'NEW'

The word 'workshop' would've done fine and happens to be the name everyone else calls such a space.
>>
>>45804676
Yeah, I'm in the dorms and really been itching for something entertaining to do, I'm looking forward to checking it out.
>>
>>45803329
I haven't considered having to pay for something like that, but at $100/mo it's cheaper than tools, provided they give you free rein and you don't have much space for them at home.
I build on occasion, knock the occasional thing up, but I can do most of it with the tools I accumulate over time.
Having access to some CNC stuff might be nice though.
Sadly nothing like that round where I live.
>>
>>45804748
It clearly conveys its purpose as a creative workshop over one that's just mainly to be used for primarily boring practical shit.
>>
>>45804332
Where did you get the money for all that?
From a $100 membemship only I suppose its not.
>>
File: acf.gif (2 MB, 312x250) Image search: [Google]
acf.gif
2 MB, 312x250
>>45804785
>unlike the typical unthinking sheeple who use hand tools for conventional (probably religious) purposes, I use my intellect to enlighten myself before creating creative made makestuff make hackerspace hacked stuff
>>
>>45804785
More 'Edgy' 'Cool' 'Special Snowflake' shit, a Workshop is where work gets done, a workshop is where all the technology for this 'creative' was developed.

From your descriptions and your contant need to distance yourself from the word 'Workshop' it sounds like in a 'hackerspace' nothing of actual worth will ever be done, it's just for idiots with too much money to play with their new overpriced toys...
>>
>>45804809
That guy/gal is paying $50/mo. for their membership, so I imagine personal funds were poured into those programs or they have a very large group.
>>
File: party van visits g.webm (2 MB, 470x270) Image search: [Google]
party van visits g.webm
2 MB, 470x270
>>45804737
Me too, never heard nor thought about it earlier. Thanks OP for bringing it to my attention.

>>45804742
"Workshop" is a very general term. A private carpenting company can have its own workshop, as can a robotics section in a university, some guy in his garage or an artist in their apartment. Every single one of them is radically different. The closest equivalent you could use would be "community workshop" which still doesn't paint the full picture. Meanwhile terms like "hacklab" or "makerspace" immediately tell you: informal, community-based workshop with public tools for construction, computing and/or art, often with a social aspect involved.
>>
>>45804730
Thanks for clarifying that. I was mistaken. You aren't dumb or stupid. You are just one of those people that nobody really likes, or enjoys listening to. I'm guessing that there are lots of people who just want to be around you, right?
>>
/g/ trolls

Turning a good discussion on the pros cons and anecdotes about hacker spaces into a pointless angry discussion over semantics fuelled almost entirely by lame insults that all sound like they are coming from the mouth of a 12 year old.

I really don't know what else i expected.
>>
>>45804833
>Every single one of them is radically different.

Right, because it's general. So why can't the general term be used here? Answer: because edgy twats feel that they need their own word to show that they are intellectually superior to other people who work with their hands.
>>
>>45803329
$100 a month sounds really quite decent if you don't own most of the tools you'd have access to there. If you have you're own tools its not worth it just for a work area. Otherwise I'd jump on that in an instant.
>>
>>45804850
>I really don't know what else i expected.
Oddly enough you find that this problem also plagues most hackspace's mailinglists/forums
>>
>>45804872
>Answer: because edgy twats feel that they need their own word to show that they are intellectually superior to other people who work with their hands.
Sounds like someone's feeling jealous that somebody else is getting all the attention.
Here, I'll pay attention to you, cause no one else will.
>>
>>45803761
Why do you need to cut lazers
>>
>>45804983
To make them lighter.
>>
>>45804915
Pretty sure he's just lonely in his workshop... lel
>>
>>45804833
>45804833 ▶
What movie is that gif, err webm from?
>>
>>45804872
Do you also get upset when people say "computer repair shop" instead of simply "repair shop"?
>>
File: IMG_20140730_223740.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140730_223740.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
My city's hackspace is £10-£25/no (depends if you're poor or not) and £2 for fob to the place, so I can go in whenever. We've got a shitload of power tools and machines, 2 3D printers, a laser cutter and electronics bench.

Everyone's friendly and kind, we do a open day on Wendsdays each week so we get new people coming in all the time with ideas and stuff, always some fun banter happening and it helped land me a job. Probably the best decision I made joining a hackspace.
>>
File: network down.jpg (351 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
network down.jpg
351 KB, 1936x2592
>>45805140
"The Core". When I downloaded that webm the /g/ consensus was that the movie is absolute dogshit. Only part worth watching is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8

You can safely skip the rest.
>>
>>45805232
That's awesome, thanks for the input :)

>>45804873
I live in dorms and only own a few screwdrivers currently, all my other tools are back home. So really hoping they have a full shop with lots of space and tools.
>>
I've been thinking that a cooperative workshop would be more suited to my liking (ie, getting a few mates together and sharing a space + buying tools, rather than throwing the doors open).

I joined my local hackerspace for a while, but found it didn't meet my needs. I was contemplating making huge donations of time and materials to get stuff like a spray booth, or raising money for some better metalworking tools, but decided it wasn't worth the time.

Obviously YMMV
>>
>>45805237
that was kind of a cute captain crunch reference tho.
>>
File: IMG_20140407_160631.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140407_160631.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>45805363
It entirely depends on if you think the tools provided at the hackspace is worth the amount you're paying to use them. At mine, £10 a month is fucking amazing for access to a laser cutter and 3D printers since I can use them to make things to sell on Etsy.
>>
>>45805512
>om nom nom

About the level of cancer I would expect from a place that calls itself that
>>
my university has one with 3d printers, arduinos, stuff like that. materials are free and there's a pretty generous time limit, so it's nice. sometimes it's crowded though

I live literally beside my old highschool and I'm friends with the shop teachers, so they let me use the mills, lathes, and CNC machines when I'm in town

>>45805388
it's funny, I have access to a fair amount of tools but I can never think of anything to make

you can do a fair bit of work with just a grinder, mig welder, and drill press, but if you want to do anything more intensive, you're gonna need proper equipment, so I'd recommend at least $5000 to make a decent shop eg milling machine and maybe a cheap metal lathe
>>
>>45805526
Stop being so stuck up
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.