[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the beef with OS X anyway? It's built on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 17
File: osx_yosemite-finder-view.jpg (347 KB, 1832x1148) Image search: [Google]
osx_yosemite-finder-view.jpg
347 KB, 1832x1148
So what's the beef with OS X anyway? It's built on Unix, which means it can do most of the things Linux can do, in addition to having more software support and looking better. It is proprietary and nonfree, and that will turn many of you away, but if you look past that its quite great pragmatically.

Before I was under the impression that since it officially required Apple products it was pretty shitty, but recently I've hackintoshed and I've seen the light.
>>
>having more software support
Means shit if there's no hardware support.
>>
>>45760032
The hackintosh support isnt bad at all
>>
File: ce590e_286964.jpg (250 KB, 985x1380) Image search: [Google]
ce590e_286964.jpg
250 KB, 985x1380
Poor people tend to be bitter. It doesn't help that half this board is autismic neck beard neo-libertarians.

If you want free as in Libre and beer UNIX, you should use FreeBSD.
>>
>>45760123
But OSX is gratis.
>>
also free
>>
>>45760123
>neo-libertarians
I'd much rather have one strong leader in charge of the entire population just so I could tell him to go fuck himself. What does that make me?
>>
>>45760363
ayn rand
>>
>>45759874
>it's ugly
>it doesnt respect my freedom
really though, it doesnt let me do whatever i want. do i want root access or to wipe the computer myself? nope, not allowed, i could break it :)
>sold exclusively on overpriced hardware
>absolutely no reason to use it on third party hardware over linux
>im not a girl
>>
>>45759874
i installed hackintosh just to be able to get my game on iOS. i absolutely hate the UI, fucking pig disgusting. it's overly simple and obviously made for kids and tech illiterates. the low contrast design hurts my eyes and navigation is atrocious and unintuitive. the UI design has gigantic flaws, like in iTunes there's an item in the drop down menu for home sharing and when you've enabled it the item disappears and i have no idea how to disable it now so i just left it on. when i went into it i thought it would be like windows but just a bit different, but no it's completely different and everything is locked down (at least in the GUI, i don't know about the terminal). how can you be productive on that thing?!
>>
>>45759874
>what's the beef
Idiots who have never used it or have and hate it because wah it doesn't work like Windows
>>
its like a shitty version of linux thats gimped to run on shitty hardware
>>
osx is what desktop linux should be
>>
>>45759874
With that sort of argument, you could say that the third reich was a good regime because they were good at stopping inflation.
>>
>>45760610
The jew-killing only came in when Hitler already owned half the world and started to lose his marbles. Up to 1938 the Third Reich was really not that bad at all.
>>
>>45760622
>1933
> Reichstagsbrand Notverordnungen
>>
>>45759874
Except mac os is unix like not built on unix. Built on the general ideas of unix. But even then it doesn't fully apply any more.
>>
>>45760646
>2001
>9/11
>>
>>45760622
The jew hatred came from German veterans of the first world war but don't let that stop you from believing Adolf was a lone psycho :^)
>>
>>45760622
>everyone blames Hitler for the jews
>was actually the fault of Goebbels
>>
>>45760681
He was a psycho surrounded by a bunch of other psychos and when Hitler lost it he started listening to those psychos.
>>
>>45760050

Contrary to /g/'s beliefs
>>
>>45760050
Hackintosh support is really shitty. There's almost no network adapter support, and everything else is literally cobbled together.
>>
I just want a Linux distro that has prober drivers, no screen tear, a proper modern (maybe flat?) UI. If these can be fulfilled, I'm a happy man.

In OS X, I don't even need driver support, screen tear I haven't seen yet, and I like the new opaque flat design.
>>
>>45760653
Is about as Unix as any other Unix of today is, we can look at where BSDs and Solaris are at, where genetic systems like Plan9 are and where Unix-like systems such as Linux are, excluding Plan9 which does not want to be Unix, they all conform to the same standards.
>>
>>45760716
Why not just stick with OS X if it already meets your needs?
>>
>>45760728
Because it's babby's first OS
>>
>>45760733
That's a pretty terrible reason to not use something, just because it works and is easy does not somehow make it bad, if anything quite the opposite.
>>
File: 1405523659599.jpg (142 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1405523659599.jpg
142 KB, 900x900
>>45760716
>(maybe flat?) UI
>I like the new opaque flat design
>>
>>45760363
A Maoist. Zedong told the people: You Have the right to rebel against me.
>>
>>45760738
I think the point is that it's made for tech illiterate people, power users will want to install Linux.
>>
>>45760810
I went from GNU/Linux to OS X and holy shit I wouldn't in a million years switch back to GNU/Linux.
>>
All my issues with it can be fixed, but in fixing them, I'm not sure how usable it would be. From what I hear, installing xorg on there along with a nice WM like OpenBox doesn't work very well, even though it's possible. Apparently only programs made to work with xorg will work when you do this or something.
>>
>>45760810
It's not made FOR tech illiterate people it's usable by them, again just because something is easy to use does not make it bad. Outside of server usage I can't see anything GNU would do that OS X can not, and even then for server use you would probably be better suited using Illumos or a BSD but that's debatable.
>>
My experience is completely opposite to you, OP. I recently hackintoshed, expecting something with a user experience comparable to Linux but with a software library more comparable to that of windows.

What I actually got was more like a paperweight OS that had a software library that is (for my needs) inferior to both. A lot of my favourite general-use programs from windows aren't available, and a lot of my favourite technical\development programs from linux aren't available either.

It refuses to recognize my TV as a 2nd monitor, takes 4x as long as windows does to boot, it has this horrible inertial scrolling thing that can't be disabled, and a weird and counterintuitive way of handling fullscreen applications.

Also, it will often crash and freeze with no error message. I know people will say this is because I'm using a hackintosh, but my hardware is pretty much the most bog-standard mac hardware you can get.

Am I looking at things the wrong way, /g/
>>
>>45760810

It's made for a wide variety of people. It can be seen as simple for tech illiterates but just as many 'power users' enjoy using it as well.
>>
>>45760716
Xfce + Compton + glx + Numix?
>>
>>45760701
>have to pay $30 for a network adapter instead of $2000 for mac
Oh boo hoo.
>>
>>45760828
>hackintosh

sounds like the problems are your fault, poorfag
>>
>>45760824
>Apparently only programs made to work with xorg will work when you do this or something.
That's not true, it is the default action however with xquartz to run all x applications inside the x environment, even with the defaults you can still use x applications and OS X applications side by side but if you're using a separate window manager inside of x then they're going to be constrained to it unless you configure it to work the other way. Look for that guide for gnome 3 on OS X for more on this.
>>
>>45760410
>do i want root access or to wipe the computer myself? nope, not allowed, i could break it :)

That's just completely untrue. Nothing stops you from:
sudo su
or
sudo rm -rf /
or:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk1
>>
>>45760828
>and a lot of my favourite technical\development programs from linux aren't available either.
Give some examples that are not in macports or homebrew. Just curious.

> I know people will say this is because I'm using a hackintosh
That really is the most logical conclusion to draw though since this kind of thing doesn't happen on the hardware the OS is designed for, relying on third party patches is not ideal but your case does not seem to be the typical case.
>>
>>45760828

>Am I looking at things the wrong way, /g/

Very much so
>>
>>45760825
>>45760834
Yes, after tweaking it is viable as a power user to use Mac OS, but it's still not made for it.
You can install a package manager, a window manager, remove the dock, get a better terminal, make Mac a Linux, but it's more sensible to just install Linux in the first place.
>>
>>45760738

The real reason is all these faggots who take themselve's and their nerd rep way to seriously feel like if they aren't constantly troubleshooting shit across their OS then they aren't cool.

Basically, the community thinks of linux as top tier for extreme computer Fabios only. Then windows for gaming. And of course, osx is noob/shit tier because you dont have to waste hours just learning to do different shit. It's easy and anyone can use it.

Fucking retards man, the sad cocks think they lose geek rep when they don't use the most obscure fuckin linux distros.

It's like hipsters and music. And they are all full of shit.

OS X is for when you want to get something done, and windows is for gaming. Linux is for being a geeky bitch who likes showing off to his friends that he learned to copy lines.. Well of course, unless they have an actual reason to use a linux distro.

But I assume that most people on here or otherwise around the net only do it because the community considers it top tier.
>>
>>45760912
>make Mac a Linux
OS X is a certified UNIX and a Unix-like system, it's already like Unix, doing the things you said are standard practice and have been in Mac OS for a long time since NeXT.
>but it's more sensible to just install Linux in the first place.
How did you come to that conclusion? Not everyone wants to ditch aqua (I don't know why anyone would but whatever) or remove the dock and even still there are OS X exclusive application for changing them, you don't have to resort to just X11 to get a different visual experience. It makes no sense to go from OS X to Linux if OS X is an option for you, you already have everything you want and need as well as additional software that is exclusive to the platform.
>>
>>45759874
But i can't install my custom shells and themes on it, so it's shit.

Duh!
>>
File: ugly.png (169 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
ugly.png
169 KB, 1280x800
>>45760951
You can if you want to.
>>
>>45760836
Can you show that to me?
>>
>>45760428
>'I cannot navigate a platform that's better documented than the Apollo program.'

The problem is that you're an imbecile. I am sorry that tasks that are more complicated than a binary switch but less complicated than compiling your own font rendering engine complete short the clearly atypical neurons you rely on for self-esteem.

Your peers do not respect you for poorly expressing a borrowed opinion. How's that iOS game selling, anon?
>>
>>45760478
That would be anything android.
>>
>>45760950
> it's already like Unix
>missing the point

> you already have everything you want and need
Except you don't: you don't have a package manager, you don't have a way to replace the babby bloat with power user tools, and getting them is not as trivial as in Linux.
>>
>>45760428
>obviously made for kids and tech illiterates
It's made for people who like to use the keyboard primarily but is also usable with a pointer. Those hotkeys and how you can configure them coupled with spotlight are fantastic.
>>
>>45761043
French is the gayest of all languages because I spent 20 minutes trying to learn it and felt awkward and uncomfortable. I couldn't express myself nearly as well as I can in English. Therefore French is fucking useless and lacks the refinement and subtlety of English. The only people that speak french are art fags trying to look cool because you can't do anything else with that fucking gibberish, right?
>>
>>45761035
How is that missing the point? You didn't explain. Turning "OS X into a Linux" makes no sense whatsoever.

>you don't have a package manager
OS X ships with the App Store which is arguable as much as a package manager frontend as anything on other graphical Unix systems like Ubuntus market or whatever they call it which, in addition to that there are several package managers for OS X which is great considering you have a choice in the matter, if you like ports you've got pkg-src and macports, if you prefer packages you've got homebrew and others. Did you even look into that at all? They're extremely common.

>you don't have a way to replace the babby bloat with power user tools
What does this even mean? You can uninstall whatever you want and replace it whatever else you want, be more specific. XNU, the userland, and even more are open sourced so you're welcome to strip everything out of that or make your own shit that's somehow less "bloated".

>and getting them is not as trivial as in Linux.
Getting what? You're not be specific on what OS X is missing in terms of "tools". Installing anything in OS X takes the same steps as any other system with a package manager.
>>
>>45761035
Getting them is so trivial that it's more than made up for by the benefits, though. Including but not limited to the fact that I can get my laptop out at work/around friends and have other people be able to use it.
>>
>>45760701
Hackintosh support is at the best its ever been. Graphics cards from both side of the fence are being supported natively now. Sure the NIC compatibility is shit but it's certainly not a dealbreaker.
>>
>>45761066
I don't know man I forget all the French I learned in high school, I didn't seem to have any qualms with it from what I can remember but I never had a use for it.
>>
>>45761011
>i should have to read an instruction manual to use something as simple as iTunes
>i should have to do extensive research in order to find out how to transfer files to my iPad that aren't purely made for mindless consumption, like photos and music
a borrowed opinion? u wot?
my game hasn't been released yet. but it's actually good unlike >99% of mobile games which is why i'm still doing the final touches to make sure it's even better than i envisioned it.
>>
>>45761082
Reminder that Nvidia official driver support is unmatched, they support nearly everything officially.
>>
>>45761109
>>i should have to read an instruction manual to use something as simple as iTunes
People like you are truly the worst, you complain that the UI is too simple and made for kids but now it's too complex because you have to read about it. You can't have both and honestly I think the latter is better, I understand the merit behind an "intuitive" system (which for computers is bullshit since they're anything but intuitive to someone who has not learned to use one from others) but I'd much rather take the time to learn how to use a system once and then be comfortable and efficient with it forever. I can't understand how people got so lazy that they think reading a manual is a bad thing.

>my product is good, so says me
lel
>>
>>45760410
>I'm probably going to be dead-tired, and last time I drove while dead-tired, I got in a wreck. :(
This is how you identify 12 year olds that have only ever encountered locked down Macs in their middle school computer lab
>>
>>45761066
I know what you mean. Imagine wasting all that time learning French when you can already express yourself perfectly in English.
>>
>>45760428
>>45761109
>that typing style
Are you five dude?
>>
>>45761138
i pretty much NEVER have to read any instructions about how to use programs on windows. there is always a relevant menu item if the feature is there. in iTunes, the menu item FUCKING DISAPPEARS for no fucking reason at all. then it is nowhere to be found. as soon as i click on anything besides "my iPad" it completely disappears and doesn't reappear until i reconnect it. how is that justifiable UI design? to show "my iPad" and then show the same exact menu but WITHOUT "my iPad"?
>>
>>45761191
>one sentence post
>that typing style
take a look in the mirror.
>>
>>45761220
Sounds like baby duck syndrome to me, you're saying that Windows has a better design because you personally are used to it and you're not used to the conventions of OS X, had you come from the opposite platform I feel like you'd be making similar complaints, you have no outside perspective on the matter and only consider your own.

Windows does the same exact thing by the way, when you plug a device in it shows up in explorer but it's not in the same window when it's not connected.

How are you struggling so hard with a UI that is supposedly designed for "tech illiterates" as you said?
>>
>>45761233
How is one sentence a bad thing? You're doing it right now and lacking any kind of form.
>>
>>45761266

mac is for girls and gays

mac sucks
>>
>>45761286
You're obviously free to hold that opinion but it's only bad for yourself to come to that conclusion for the reasons you listed, it's limiting your options pretty significantly for petty reasons and stubborn thinking.
>>
>>45761297

shut up ur queer for using mac
>>
>>45761266
it disappears even if i leave it plugged in. in windows, everything is crystal clear. open the explorer and the device is there. in mac OSX, it doesn't even allow me to browse through the folders and files structure like windows explorer, at least not by default in the GUI (not terminal). iTunes is very finicky, the device will be there but i better leave the window open because otherwise i will have to take an IQ test before i get back to where i was earlier.
>>45761271
>worrying about muh 4chins shitposts lacking form
>>
File: Capture.jpg (87 KB, 1000x379) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
87 KB, 1000x379
>>45761310
I don't use OS X and I don't own any Apple products such as a Mac. Why are you so upset? Genuinely curious.
>>
File: Capture.png (34 KB, 755x221) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
34 KB, 755x221
>>45761325
Wrong Capture, just as good though.
>>
>>45761266
>>45761321
also, by saying that it's designed for tech illiterates i don't mean that it's easy to use. i mean that it's actually difficult to do advanced operations, and it only caters to very simple use cases like syncing your iPhone photography masterpieces to the cloud and transferring the latest hipster hits to your iPod.
>>
>>45761321
Why don't you just read the manual? You could have figured it out by now instead of complaining about the fact you don't know how to do it. I'd tell you if I knew but I don't really know what you're talking about. Are you saying you can't navigate the contents of your device while it's unplugged but Windows allows this?

>>45761337
I'd disagree with that sentiment, I think the UI covers a range of people and use cases and is not a limiting factor if you know how to utilize it much like all tools and interfaces.
>>
>>45761337

wow leet dude. macs are so epic and shiny. surely all who use one think different from the crowd

macs cant play games, they suck, they have a 1 click mouse ROFL, a stupid dock and stupid rainbow loading wheel, all the files types are screwed, has no support for the best software. it sucks dont jusify it cause ur mom bought ut it for chrismas.

well actually, if your mom bought it for you for christmas then its ok. or if a loved one did. but if you bought it yourself it sucks. Seriouly if my mm bought it for me id treasure it, othr than that it sucks.
>>
>>45761363
You might see it differently when you mature a bit, different people have different opinions and needs. Macs and OS X are just another set of options for people. Off topic but how old are you?
>>
>>45761363
Underageb&
>>
>>45761396

25 lol

nah macs aren't dumb, i just hate them. The feel like a lego toy or something. Itunes locks you out of pirating music or easily copy and pasting, the os has unfamiliar file types and it just looks stupid. all my software and games dont work the same. the actual apple pcs are overpriced and they lock u into having to contact them to be able to fix it. the apple company take advantage of peoples ignorance to milk them for cash. steve jobs SEEMED like a real ass aswell.

its marketing is really bad too, like only tools use that OS
>>
>>45760852
Or you just install linux for 0$. I'm actually a fan of OSX/Hackintosh too but that's a really bad argument.
>>
>>45761425
You might want to do some research on what you're saying, it sounds like you're just parroting what other people have told you. That's not really a good way to go about life.
>>
>>45761449
Some of us need proprietary software m8, and wine just doesn't cut it.
>>
>>45760828
>Also, it will often crash and freeze with no error message.
This is your fault, not Apple's.
>It refuses to recognize my TV as a 2nd monitor
Also your fault.
>a lot of my favourite technical\development programs from linux aren't available either.
You're probably wrong here about the linux shit, I've been able to compile or otherwise find a lot of the unix stuff I need.
>a weird and counterintuitive way of handling fullscreen applications.
It's great, get used to it. It's super worth it if you know shortcuts or use gestures to switch workspaces. Get BetterSnapTool or use the snapping part of BetterTouchTool to get your Aero Snap fix.
>A lot of my favourite general-use programs from windows aren't available
It's 2014, whatever you need probably exists and is really expensive. Get an invite to BrokenStones.
>>
>>45761449
Nothing prevents you from porting the driver to OS X if you don't want to buy an already compatible one, the same argument can be made for all the devices Linux doesn't support so you're argument is also bad.
>>
>>45761462
>You're probably wrong here about the linux shit, I've been able to compile or otherwise find a lot of the unix stuff I need.
To add to this. technically speaking so long as it's not kernel specific then anything that works on Gentoo and the BSDs should work on OS X, that's kind of the point of open source POSIX applications. So long as it's open sourced and compiles on some *nix then it should already work here with minimal changes if any.
>>
>>45761454

why cant i simply copy and paste my music with my mp3 player? u cant do that with apple because it sucks and tries to take away ur freedom

why cant i run alll the games i want? why doesnt it support the software i like on windows?

yeah ill say that i did pick up from others "macs are overpriced" but thats it. I know without being told by others they lock u into needing to contact them for support because thats how dell, HP etc etc work aswell.

They DO take advantage of peoples ignorance, but dell hp etc do that too.

Steve jobs seemed like a money hungry guy and an aggressive marketer. he definitely wanted to capatilize on peoples ignorance with pcs so made something so locked down that he basically controls his consumers to be on his terms. all of it is designed to enforce copyright and all thatc rap no freedom at all

windows is much better in comparison it feels like a complete OS well mac is limited to do only specific tasks.

windows does not have the freedom linux does, but it has ENOUGH, unlike mac
>>
>>45761504
>why cant i run alll the games i want? why doesnt it support the software i like on windows?
why can't I run linux software on windows? why can't I run ps3 games on my xbox? why can't I run android apps on iphone?
>>
>>45761504
Did you try it? I'm pretty sure you actually can just select a file that's playing and copy it elsewhere. You're gonna have to do your own research for the rest of those, I'm not going to hold your hand bud.
>>
>>45761514

that doesnt make any sense you idiot. if apple doesnt have the things i like im not going to change to it, its as simple as that
>>
>>45761530
Who's asking you to change?
>>
>>45761525

why would i bother giving it a try when windows does everything i need? has the largest software support avilable, can do basically everything a mac can do and more, has the most freedom and best software, games etc.

Mac is so shitty in comparison.
>>
>>45759874
>no package manager
>disugsting flat design
>shitty OS X bloat
>crap battery life unless you have a real mac
>closed-source

The only upside is Photoshop, and Pages is pretty good. But you can run Photoshop in a VM or with WINE anyway.
>>
>>45761544
That question can be asked for basically anything, it's your choice honestly but I personally don't think it's a good choice to make. Trying new things is good in my opinion because the potential to find something you like is there, same goes for re-evaluating things every now and then, preferences can change as you do. Worst case scenario you lose some time but best case scenario you find something that's right for you. I have a friend who refuses to try any new food simply because "I know I like pizza so why should I waste time on anything else?" he has a totally valid point but I don't know man, that seems really bad to me, he's missing out on potentially his favorite food that he doesn't know about.
>>
>>45761530
its like you want to be opressed
>>
>>45761571
There's several package managers and the system is mostly open sourced, the only closed source. I think that battery complaint is kind of silly considering OS X is currently unmatched in terms of battery life on the hardware it's designed for, it's kind of expected that it will only be as good as the competition on non Apple hardware. You can also remove whatever "bloat" is preinstalled if you don't like it.
>>
>>45761578

Ok tell me. What does apple do that windows doesnt? Or tell me what does apple do better that linux doesnt?

I know in advance before I try it its going to suck. That's like saying oh yeah try heroin u dont know if youll like it without trying it. No thanks bud
>>
>>45759874
>looking better
nope. its initial state is nice looking, but its far less customizable. linux looks exactly the way you want it.
also, you can prefer Linux because of:
>customization
>security
>reliability
>>
>>45761613
>implying Linux beats OS X in security or reliability
>>
>>45761620
>retarded apple fanboi detected
>>
>>45761610
It's not my place to tell you, my preferences are mine, what I like you may not, whatI find "better" you may not, only you can decide on what you do and don't like and the only way to figure out is to try something first hand, you shouldn't just trust what others say, take it into consideration and then form your own opinion on it. There are objective differences that matter but you can look them up yourself if you're genuinely curious, the importance of those differences is also still subjective.

Also I'd be willing to bet that most anyone likes heroin, if your body is functioning right then you're pretty much guaranteed to like heroin.
>>
>>45761613
>use Openbox and tint2 with compton for years
>it looks exactly how I want
>Aqua + Quartz looks exactly the same but has better functionality
feels good
>>
>>45761613
Anything visual on GNU is probably going to be running under X11, nothing prevents you from using X11 in OS X. See >>45760970
>>
>>45760410
What? I have a macbook air. I use brew, which is similar to yum. I have access to sudo. My system works just as well as an Unix box and it doesn't require me to jail break or what ever the fuck you are saying.

Ya'll some real FUD mother fuckers up in here. I swear, you Apple haters need to peel fucking oranges.
>>
>>45761610
A few things OS X has that Windows will never have:
No activation bullshit.
Always the Ultimate/Professional version.
Implements better use of gestures with trackpad.
Better battery life in general.
No confusing UI.
No bloatware.
No IE (yes, it's a feature).
Better software out of the box.
(A LOT) Less malware.
Easy to upgrade to major versions.
You can still run Windows if you must.
You don't need to be a faggot to use it.
>>
the advnatgaes of mac are this ok:

everyday people who like music or are artistic or want to facebook etc without getting viruses can use it. they can use the software on it to program, photoshop stuff make music etc.

its basically a wrk os for normal social people who arent really into computers.

windows however is used corporately and also used for home AND for programming , making music and all that stuff its a more complete OS and they try to do it by adapting with the new windows 10 for touch devices etc. windows is the middle between linux and mac, allowing just enough customisability but locking u out of editing core functions

linux is for servers and programming and tinkering around, its a buggy mess and can waste hours of your life if you want to use it as a normal home pc, its mainly used for serves debugging crap, manchildren showing off etc

AS YOU CAN SEE, windows is right there in the middle, its the perfect OS (in specific windows 7)

to me apple is hoirrble end of discussion
>>
>Cannot change the simplest settings such as themes and disabling sleep when the lid is shut
>cannot edit or even view system files to see if something went wrong
>can't be installed on older Macs and non-mac computers
>cannot undervolt or overclock the cpu/gpu
>cannot install applications from places other than the App store unless you pay for the $99 apple developers account
>99% terminal commands can't be used without jailbreaking
>warranty is voided if you ever download a non-apple approved piece of software
>requires credit card information just to use it
>macbook lcds run at 30Hz, not 60Hz like everything else, just to save a few minutes of battery power
>no right click IN FUCKING 2014
>cannot ctrl+alt+delete

I'm getting real fucking sick of these macfag threads. There should be a fucking concentration camp for you faggots, gas the shit out of you assholes and have the bodies dumped at a rubbish dump, you subhuman trash don't deserve a proper burial.
>>
>>45761723

A few things OS X has that Windows will never have:
>No activation bullshit.
rofl doesnt know how to turn it off in services

>Always the Ultimate/Professional version.
always bloated with features u dont need u mean

>Implements better use of gestures with trackpad.
obody cares

>Better battery life in general.
nobody cares

>No confusing UI.
ur an idiot

>No bloatware.
i beg to differ, its chockablock FULL of bloatware

>No IE (yes, it's a feature).
you can disable it, or build ur custom version of WIN7 and remove almost everything you dont like using RT7 lite

>Better software out of the box.
nobody cares

>(A LOT) Less malware.
if you are retarded you will get malware

>Easy to upgrade to major versions.
nobody cares

>You can still run Windows if you must.
nobody cares

>You don't need to be a faggot to use it.
yes you do
>>
>>45761763
>I'm getting real fucking sick of these macfag threads.
Thanks for the bump :^)
I'll bump too.
>>
>>45761774
>nobody cares
realz>feelz
>>
>>45761763
>Cannot change the simplest settings such as themes and disabling sleep when the lid is shut
Yes you can
>cannot edit or even view system files to see if something went wrong
Yes you can
>can't be installed on older Macs and non-mac computers
Mostly yes, though there are restrictions
>cannot undervolt or overclock the cpu/gpu
True, you can't
>everything else
Oh, you're trolling... People have a right to their opinions
>>
>>45761774
>nobody cares
>nobody cares
>nobody cares
Is that the assblasted dialect for "welp he's got me there"?
>>
>>45761774
>nobody cares
>nobody cares
>nobody cares
oh he mad
>>
>>45761774
It's like a youtube comment in the chan format
>>
>>45761798

it literally means its a feature nobody cares about. who cares about battery life? and better software out of the box when u can install ur own superior software?
>>
>>45761798
>>45761814
>responding to marketers
>>
>>45761847
/g/ lexicon:
Shill, Marketer = Loyal consumer
>>
>>45761879
Read their posts
>>
Hey everyone im:

>>45761820
>>45761774
>>45761756
>>45761544
>>45761504
>>45761425
>>45761363
>>45761310
>>45761286

just wanna say im sorry, alot of people i love use macs, apple just targets a different audience. I know of alot of people successful in business, art, programming etc who use macs. If you like mac its fine, im sorry for being a douche. Enjoy your christmas present if you got one! They're not bad, i just personally dont like them

No hard feelings alright?
>>
>>45761578
>>45761656

What if what he might be repeating is actually true? It seems like you just can't handle any criticism or don't want people to form judgments on something you use.

They're good computers but they're not perfect. People might buy into them for the wrong reasons just because other people buy them.
>>
>>45761763

The "anywhere" option might be disabled because it might be an account with non-admin privileges that is trying to enable it.
>>
>>45759874
its non-free and closed-source
>>
>>45762003
If it's their opinion it's indisputably true to them hence why I'm telling them to form their own opinion on it rather than listen to others, that person has yet to criticism what I use so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
>>
>>45762042
>closed-source
Darwin is open source.
https://opensource.apple.com/

Why doesn't Microsoft do the same?
>>
>>45762049

So when buying a product, people should just ignore reviews for it?

It's hard to do when the product is only available on a few computers and when the cost of getting a laptop of that product is on the upper range.

Also, he pointed out several facts about compatibility.
>>
>>45762083
Imagine how many security exploits would appear if Windows made their source code available. Viruses and malware would grow exponentially.

On the other hand, OS X is installed on like 5% of desktop computers, so hardly anyone is interested in targeting such a tiny platform.
>>
>>45762155
Take reviews into consideration, don't treat them as anything other than what they are. If you want to form an opinion on something you'll have to do that yourself first hand, I really shouldn't have to explain that. You don't just blindly trust reviews do you?

>It's hard to do when the product is only available on a few computers and when the cost of getting a laptop of that product is on the upper range.
In this specific case that's irrelevant considering you can go give these products a trial run for as long as you'd like in any Apple store and even then you can buy one and if you find out you don't actually like it you can return it, this is true for most products as well not just Apple ones.

>Also, he pointed out several facts about compatibility.
Pardon?
>>
>>45760828
Surprise surprise, /g/ was right again. Anything related to Apple is absolute garbage, with the only potential use case being "grandma is dumb with computor so she needs top simple".
>>
>>45761763
Works fine!
>>
>>45762175
holy shit. your trolling is too obvious now
>>
>>45761363
This sounds like the anti-mac copypasta that always had the poorly shopped gatekeeper screenshot, except if it were made by a eight year old.
>>
>>45762223
That looks fucking hideous, what is that? Please tell me you're using some custom skin bullshit and this isn't Apple-approved.
>>
>>45761763
keep trying :-)
>>
>>45760363
Edgy
>>
>>45762237
>Indian COE of Microsoft approves of this message.
>>
>>45759874
I'm a mac user and I like my mbp, but here are my problems with it

>no decent packaging system (currently using brew, but very limited and buggy at times)
>too much social media built in. I DON'T WANT SOME FUCKING WEBSITE IN NOTIFICATION CENTER SAFARI
>Safari is lightweight, but little customization and addins
>expensive as fuck for repairs.
>metal starches like a bitch
>>
>>45762340
...so it's real then? Sorry, I don't know anyone who actually uses a Mac.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 640x465
>>45760478
>>
>>45761571
>>no package manager
AppStore, mac ports, fink, homebrew, portage
>>disugsting flat design
Subjective
>>shitty OS X bloat
Describe
>>crap battery life unless you have a real mac
Real Mac? I get 10+ on a single charge with the "Bloated" Yosemite.
>>closed-source
Ok RMS
>>
/g/ seems pretty biased and misinformed about what you can and can't do on a Mac.
>>
So I've read the entire thread up to this point and I've come to the conclusion the Apple pays people to post on 4chan. I always thought this shill thing was a joke, I guess not.
>>
>>45762642
>/g/ seems pretty biased and misinformed about (x)
>>
>>45762387
Not the same guy but yeah, that's what the newest version of OSX looks like.
>>
I used OS X for quite awhile (and Mac OS 7-9 before that), but I dislike the new versions.

It tries to save your content to the cloud all the time, "full screen" is shit, the App Store is obnoxious, and I dislike Apple's new attitude towards developers with "signed apps only" as the default security setting. Basically, it seems like they're trying to bring iOS to the desktop, which I was uninterested in. Stopped using OS X in 2012. I still miss Adium and Grapher, but other than that it's fine.
>>
>>45762859
>signed apps only
Sure it's the default but it's a lot safer for most users. Those who are tech savvy can easily turn it off.
>App Store is obnoxious
Just don't use it. Personally I dislike iTunes but I have to use it.
>save your content to the cloud all the time
What? Just don't enable it.
>>
>>45762942
I'll be honest; my list was longer in late 2011 - early 2012, but I've sense forgotten most of the details. I remember being annoyed by Launchpad and Mail becoming too Outlook-like as well.

I used Mavericks not too long ago and was moderately annoyed by the changes. I still think OS X 10.6 was the ideal OS.

I use KDE nowadays and really like its window management features (tabbed windows are amazing), and I have a Mac-like keyboard layout (altgr behaves like Apple's option key for alternate characters, numpad always types numbers), so I'm pretty content. Maybe I'll write my own graphing software when I get around to it.
>>
>>45762790
Yeah you're right, that's /g/ on most topics
>>
>>45762642
Maybe we would know better if they let us install a real OS on the ones at the store. To try it out, you know.
>>
>>45760836
I know this is kind of random, but something that always annoyed me was the tearing on firefox when scrolling. But today i found out that by disabling smooth scrolling on firefox fix that completely. So i really do not see a good reason to use compton on xfce.
>>
>>45761109
Dude, you are outright admitting that iTunes was too complicated for you. You are a certifiable moron.
>>
In the end, regardless of the vocal /g/ minority. OSX is a very competent OS.
>>
>>45759874
all the core utils are shit and out of date so everything breaks and nothing is portable.
Its the best UNIX disro ever if you don't want to do anything remotely UNIX related.
>>
>>45764185
0/1
>>
>>45764210
It's a legitimate complaint, they're using ten year old tools in some cases, in others they're even using BSD instead of GNU. Completely ridiculous and would never pass spec in a new OS made today.
>>
>>45764292
better than using the GPL v3, if you're gnu-shit slurping tool, homebrew newer tools, they work perfectly, you know?
>>
>>45759874
Mac is a decent BSD system but they riced it too much and they spoon-feed the Linux crowd
>>
I feel like Apple is being left behind, the rest of the Unix world is moving on from X11. They don't know technological advances when it's staring them on the face.
>>
>>45764323
>the rest of the Unix world is moving on from X11
What are you implying? That OS X is still using X11?
>>
>>45764323
OS X does not use X11
>>
>>
I don't see why people don't like OS X. It isn't restrictive like iOS from my experience, and it's actually really pretty. The scaling works well and the UI is consistent. The software support's good, too.
>>
>>45764381
People are poor.
>>
>>45759874
slow opengl adoptioin.

yosemite is stuck on 100% opengl 4.1 from 2010 with 15% of opengl 4.2 from 2011.

while opengl is already on 4.5.

i had a hackintosh yosemite on my 4670k and nvidia 770. it ran fantastic and i really enjoyed it. but its gaming performance is terrible. for example, bioshock infinite on mac has the same level of graphics as on the ps3 and xbox 360. not because mac doesn't have the hardware but because the opengl version supported is way to out of date. 4.1 like full support of dx10 with a few dx11 features. so the developers couldn't make a complete pc to mac port.

then games like WoW. mac version only supports fxaa and not cmaa like its windows counterpart. because opengl 4.1 doesn't support it. they need 4.2 to support it.

apple really needs to update their opengl stack. at least to 4.3 because 4.3 is essentially full dx11 equivalent.

4.5 just came out that gives it dx12 or mantle's like feature and dx11 emulation for easier porting of dx11 games to opengl 4.5.
>>
>>45764361
>>
What's the best os x vmware image?
>>
>>45761425
>Itunes locks you out of pirating music

What the actual fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: Unix_history-simple.svg.png (273 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Unix_history-simple.svg.png
273 KB, 2000x1333
>>45764292
It uses BSD stuff because it branches from FreeBSD (pic related).
>>
>>45764507
That was a terrible decision and they're paying for their stupid mistakes.
>>
>>45764528
more like profiting greatly
>>
>>45764566
Apple is dying though. It won't last, maybe two more years at most.
>>
>>45761879
Wordfilter when?
>>
File: ok.gif (930 KB, 412x229) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
930 KB, 412x229
>>45764575
>>
>>45761460
>what is emulation
>>
File: trigereb.jpg (34 KB, 291x439) Image search: [Google]
trigereb.jpg
34 KB, 291x439
>closed source
>non-customizable, off limits
>has a shittier kernel/FS/system tools than Linux
>for me, Apple is a evil company I don't want to ever give money to or support
>I'd rather use Gentoo
>>
>>45760410
>Overpriced hardware

You clearly haven't owned a Macbook or handled one long enough to understand why the price is justifiable. Even the best OEM's can't produce hardware of Apple's quality, they ALWAYS skimp SOMEWHERE, and it's fucking infuriating.

And the massive joke about it all is that high-end OEM laptop manufacturers are creeping up the prices of their highest-end models, the ones that they continue to finalize with design problems of one sort or another.
>>
>>45764794
>1366x768 TN screen
>apple quality
Lol
>>
Hey, newfag here, can someone help me on how to install osx on my hackintosh without wiping my data!
>inb4 install gentoo fag
I need osx or Windows to work with photoshop
>inb4 go search
I couldn't find one where I don't have to wipe my complete hard drive.
>inb4 buy a macbook
Poorfag
>>
>>45764992
install gentoo fag
>>
I didn't notice that tag shit. Looks pretty cool.
>>
>>45760752
Go back to /r/unixporn
Its 2014, not 2004, brawl.
>>
I honestly don't understand the interest in apple these day. Linux does everything they do and more, and you full control over your product and hardware. Not to mention there are now several distros that look nearly the same as OSX. Save money, more "freedom", more function.

Well, that's not entirely true. The newest macbooks are supposed to be pretty nice, aren't they? Even Linus has one (running linux, of course), so I can understand that.
>>
>>45766023
Linus deprecated his Macbook for a Vaio a while ago
>>
>>45766078
Oh really? Do you know which one? I just get back linux in searched.
>>
>>45766023
Most people, even programmers, don't actually want or need COMPLETE control over their hardware, they want just enough to get what they want done without anyone or anything getting in the way.
>>
>>45766476
Don't need extra control? Don't use those features. It's not like you're required to micromanage linux, it's just functionally there if you so choose to.
>>
>>45761082
Is NIC support really that bad? Just get an Intel NIC or something with a Realtek chipset and it'll probably work OOB or with a quick driver install.

Seriously though, hackintosh hardware support is not bad at all as long as you aren't trying to buy the cheapest shit on the shelf. Most common hardware in the mid-grade range and up works fine to the point where one can easily build a hackintosh that requires between zero and 2-3 third-party drivers.
>>
File: quicklooking non-image foles.gif (2 MB, 768x634) Image search: [Google]
quicklooking non-image foles.gif
2 MB, 768x634
>>45766023
>there are now several distros that look nearly the same as OSX
they look smiliar, but their actual function is lacking. OS X is polished as fuck, while eOS looks like OS X's retarded tranny little brother and is just shit
>>
>>45766515
Linux is shit, even the creator, Linus, thinks that linux is shit. Here is him ranting on why Linux is a complete failure.

http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2014/debconf14/webm/QA_with_Linus_Torvalds.webm

TL;DR
>Package management sucks
>no one will fucking compile for 10+ distros
>his own sideprojects projects dont do linux binaries
>debian belongs to the previous century
>chromebooks good
>FSF is dishonest, immoral

Q: What has to happen for Linux on the desktop.
A: Distros (and glibc in particular) have to stop breaking userspace.

Q: Don't tell people to kill themselves.
A: I grew up in a culture that isn't as politically correct as the US. People
have to live together and the lowest common denominator is not the way to do
this. If they don't want to work with me then they can do something else.

Q: You should respect people. (applause)
A: You can applause all you want but I think that respect is earned and not
something that you get automatically.

Q: systemd uses linux-only kernel features. What do you think about that?
A: PID 1 isn't that special. systemd does a lot of things right and gives you
lots of things that nobody else does. systemd has practically won. (I don't
agree with all of Lennart's ideas.)

Q: What could distros do to make your life easier.
A: I only use a terminal, make, gcc, and a browser... But for my family: Lots of
things shouldn't need root privileges (adding printers etc.)
>>
>>45766128
Vaio Pro 11, he chose it because it has a far better screen and lighter too
>>
>>45760428
>when i went into it i thought it would be like windows but just a bit different
What on earth ever gave you that impression? OS X has its heritage in not just one but two operating systems that came into existence many years before the appearance of contemporary Windows, both of which had their own unique UI conventions and didn't resemble Windows in the least. OS X blends these conventions and adds in some new ones, so it's no surprise that it's nothing like Windows.

What you're doing is like going to a steakhouse to order dinner and then wondering why the food they give you doesn't resemble a hot dog.
>>
>>45766528
I'm sorry, I don't really understand what I'm looking at. Work spaces? It does seem nice and fancy though.

>>45766554
Thank you.
>>
>>45761078
I like you, anon.
>>
>>45766639
>Work spaces?
lol'd
>>
>>45766639
>I'm sorry, I don't really understand what I'm looking at. Work spaces? It does seem nice and fancy though.
It's the system-wide instant file preview. In the file manager or any native open/save dialog, pressing the spacebar will preview the selected files right on the spot without opening an application first. The preview pane can be resized or even fullscreened and handles the vast majority of common file formats. Even better, anybody can extend this functionality to encompass more formats with custom plugins.
>>
File: 1415859258261.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1415859258261.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>45766646
Have a happy holiday.
>>
>>45766670
Ah, I see. It looked sorta like FF's start page, but with applications, so I thought something work spaces related. To be honest, I'm not sure how useful that is, as I don't make much use of preview, but it's a nice addition and it's nice to see a more elegant preview panel, as I often fiddle with positioning initially when I do use it. Windows 8's locked preview pane is particularly annoying.
Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.