[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SPG // Smart Phone General // Phine advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 608x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 608x405
Smart Phone General:
What is the best budget phone if all I would like to do is browse 4Chan? Literally nothing else.
Good battery life and a good screen is mandatory.
>>
>>45704908
Lumia 1520 + 4charm
>>
I think it's pretty good with 4charm on my Lumia 735.
Lasts a whole day on wifi/data + music + screen on medium brightness
>>
Lumia 520 with 4charm

It's pretty good and 4charm actually saves the threads so you can just load-up a couple of big threads and read them on the bus or something.

Still wish the dev gave the app a bit more features along the lines of Imageboard browser.
>>
>>45704908
Android has Clover, Chanu and soon Miko

Windows Phone has 4charm and ImageBoard Browser

iPhone has nothing
>>
>>45704933
This.
No other app surpasses 4charm.
>>
Why not try and to improve your life and get an iPhone?
>>
>>45705009
I'd buy an iPhone for my grandmother or my retarded cousin Billy. I personally hate Apple and everything they stand for.
>>
>>45705028
well it's nice to know degenerates like you won't tarnish their image i guess
>>
>>45704963
Finally, thanks.
>>
>>45705051
Yeah they have filth like you to do that
>>
>>45705055
Correction.. it doesn't actually save threads ;_;
I just noticed I left my data on
>>
>>45705051
I guess all the swaggots with iPhones are functional human beings, worthy of carrying the idol of perfection.
>>
>>45705071
not perfect, but critically, not degenerates
>>
>>45705028

>i like google and everything they stand for
>i like microsoft and everything they stand for

lel
>>
>>45704968
has there been any new info on miko?

do we know when its coming?
>>
>>45705085
I don't like Google. But as of late I've been supporting Microsoft.
Making C# cross platform
And that privacy court case they are fighting against the Murica government in.
I don't see any reason not to support them.
>>
File: miko.jpg (2 MB, 5068x4284) Image search: [Google]
miko.jpg
2 MB, 5068x4284
>>45705097
Here are some screens
>>
>>45705083
kek
>>
>>45705115
That thing is just too pretty
Not that 4charm is ugly, but damn this thing is pretty.
>>
>>45705028
>everything they stand for
What's that, making money?
>>
>>45705109
Why support any of them? Just use and recommend what you like the most. Pledging allegiance to any of them is retarded. I'll switch from OSX and iOS the moment something better comes along
>>
get a razr hd maxx, they go for a little over $100 on ebay, insane battery life, can be unlocked for t-mobile, at&t, verizon all at once, builds of lollipop already coming out.
>>
>>45705115
Goddamn that looks great

I think I might just have to drop chanu for it
>>
>>45705127
>What's that, making money?
Exploiting consumers.
I seriously doubt that you would spend ~$700 on a iPhone when you can get better hardware and software for that price and still have change left.
>>
>>45705176
where can you find cheaper iphones? or are you saying andorid is better or something? i disagree strongly
>>
>>45705176
I find android phones to be pretty useless, but i'm not moronic to then claim that google are exploiting consumers
>>
>>45705115
>donation box
>>
>>45705198
>I find android phones to be pretty useless
What a ridiculous statement. They can do everything any other phone can do and then more.
>>
My phone recently broke and I am with Telus. My girlfriend is with Koodo and she has a phone that she is not using, I would just need to provide a SIM card.

Is it possible to just get a SIM card from Telus and use it in this phone? Or does Koodoo have some block for it. I am not good with phones. Her phone is a Nexus 4, if that is any help.
>>
>>45705204
Can we not generalize. :(
>>
File: Republic of Kiribati.jpg (86 KB, 391x487) Image search: [Google]
Republic of Kiribati.jpg
86 KB, 391x487
Paranoid Android or Cyanogenmod?
>>
>>45705150
This.
Maxx HD user here.
Usually get 7-8 hours of screen on time when strictly browsing 4chan from my home.
>>
>>45705115
Please tell me it's can run on gingerbread.
>>
>>45705264
aokp
>>
>>45705287
kek
>>
>>45705198
>I find android phones to be pretty useless,
Now you are just talking out of your ass. But then again I was wrong for thinking that a Macfag had reasonable brain capacity to think by themselves.
>>
>>45705305
Ignore the unicorns, it's extremely customizable.
>>
File: Adolf Hitler-31.jpg (21 KB, 240x185) Image search: [Google]
Adolf Hitler-31.jpg
21 KB, 240x185
>>45705287
how about no
>>
I just ordered the Lumia 650 off Amazon as a Christmas gift for myself. $60 no contract phone I can dev Windows stuff on? Awesome. I already own an LG G3 but that price is almost too good to pass on right now
>>
>>45704908
>Smart phone general
>general
Fuck off.
>>
>>45705275
Why are you still using gingerbread.
>>
So what's so special about aftermarket firmware? I looked up cyanogenmod but I'm not sure what I should be expecting out of it
>>
>>45705624
I guess the foremost reason is removing bloat and having access to the latest version of Android. Some have better customization too.
>>
>>45705472
really old phone

>>45705624
pure android experience with some tweaks and options
>>
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask this

I'm thinking of buying an Lg G2 on eBay and then selling my s4

the g2 looks like a better version of the S4 and I have discovered that I don't like touchwizz or physical buttons.

is this a good or bad idea? it also looks like the g2 is easier to root and flash. this also wouldn't mess with my contract, would it?
>>
>>45706691
Anything is better than touchjizz but you would be loosing out cash for essentially a small improvement, unless you get a good deal.

I would save up the money for a newer phone next year or just run lolipop on s4.
>>
>>45704908
You should get a Windows Phone for literally every purpose, but using it like that would be a waste of good technology.
>>
>>45706861
>WP
>Less than 0.4% market share in China
Ded platform
>>
I currently own a Nexus 5 but I'm severely disappointed by the battery life, which doesn't even last through a work day. I've been looking into the Z3 and I've just about made the decision to get one, but I'm not sure now that the Note 4 has come out.

TL;DR Z3 vs Note 4, or anything else that might be better.
>>
>>45706972
note 4 easy

sony phones won't get lollipop until 2017
>>
>>45706989
>disappointed by the battery life, which doesn't even last through a work day. I've been looking into the Z3 and I've just about made the decision to get one, but I'm not sure now that the Note 4 has come out.
>TL;DR Z3 vs Note 4, or anything else that might be better

Sony phones are getting Lollipop in January, you Samsung shill.
>>
>>45706997
>january

wow bravo sony that's really impressive. also can't wait to see how disgusting sony manage to make lollipop look with their garbage bloatware skin that looks like gloss shit from 2007
>>
>>45706827
It wouldn't be a huge difference in money though.

like I can get a G2 on eBay for like 200 and I'm planning on selling my S4 and case for like 150-170 ameribucks so I don't really mind. I just really hate touchwizz and these buttons
>>
>>45706941
It's called propaganda. It's the same thing as people saying all of these big companies use Linux, when the obviously don't.
>>
>>45705176
Naivety in this one is strong.

Its called premium product. There exist premium market in every area. It doesn't have to be better or stronger, just gotta have that "I'm rich, bitch!" or "I'm classy, bitch!" feel to it. Thats what rich people or classy people care about anyway. Its stupid to hate on Apple for exploiting the rich and the classy. The rich have money and the classy are stupid as fuck.
>>
smartphone noob here. please tell me what to do
I need a phone with a decent camera and a 4.5 - 5 inch screen. those would be the only requirements
the cheaper the better but my budget is 400$. I can also wait a bit if it means I can get a good phone for a lot cheaper in a few months
>>
>>45707993
Nexus 5, LG G2, One Plus One, Moto G, Honor 6 are in that range.
>>
>Cancelled $85/month Verizon plan (2GB/Unl T&T) with Droid Razr M
>moved to Boost Mobile $45/month (5GB/Unl T/T) with LG Volt
after 3 months, the phone is lagging up a shit (1.2Ghz Dual Core/1GB RAM) and service is constantly causing duplicate texts and unclear voice.

need a recommendation for a new plan/phone.

I'm looking at either the HTC Desire 816 on Virgin Mobile or a chinkphone on T-Mobile.
>My budget is $250-300 max for the phone, $60/month for the plan.
>I live in eastern NY
>>
File: k-bigpic.jpg (133 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
k-bigpic.jpg
133 KB, 970x546
whats the best phone
>>
>>45709172
Ever? Nokia 3210
>>
>>45704908
Phine
Fucking Phine
>>
Lumia 720 w8 4charm. ^^
>>
File: 1325599458408.jpg (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1325599458408.jpg
19 KB, 200x200
>>45705115
H-how do I acquire this?
>>
just got an htc one m8 after many years of having a shitty non smart phone. I'm basically like an 80 year old man using some new-fangled tech. anyone have any recommendations for shit i should do and install? any essential things i need?
>>
What's a cheap ass smart phone I can get to put onto my verizon contract?
>>
>>45710402
What are you looking for? I'm guessing you've got no experience flashing ROMs and whatnot, right?
>>
>>45710410
HTC One M7 should be free with a contract methinks.

if still in contract, ur fucked because Verizon runs CDMA, ergo, no SIM cards
>>
>>45710497
Nope, no idea what that's about. I guess I'd be interesting in being able to run emulators and stuff, maybe control the phone's CPU speed and stuff.
>>
>>45710542
Guess I'm fucked then.
>>
>>45710601
If you're seriously interested in the latter, look up guides for rooting your phone and potentially installing a modified version of the OS (a ROM). That can be a bit of a time investment though.

If it's just stuff like emulators and whatnot, don't worry about any of that. Do you have basic apps installed for all the stuff you're looking to do? Or do you need recommendations?

Great choice, by the way. M8 is great.
>>
>>45710715
I have Skype, Facebook, Twitter, and some other dumb social apps, but if there's any apps that have a lot of utility, like, I don't know a really nice weather app or something, I've probably never heard of it. Any general recommendations would be great if you'd want to throw them out.
>>
>>45710715
Basically my step-dad breaks his phone all the fucking time. I was hoping there was just some cheap ass phone he could keep buying.
>>
>Good battery life mandatory
Pic unrelated, of course.
>>
>>45709149
Get htc desire from cricket, free with rebate no contract
>>
>>45710410
Get tmobile to buy you out of contract, purchase opo
>>
>>45710715
Oh, also, any decent rooting guide anyone would recommend?
>>
>>45704908
Nexus 4
>>
>>45710887
He lives on a base and verizon is the only company with a signal there.
>>
Is the Moto G 2014 the best smartphone in the price range? Talking screen quality and processor here.
>>
>>45704930
>>45704933
>>45704963
windows phone cunts please exit
>>
>>45710767
Yeah, sure thing. These are just apps that I use all the time, so they may not be your cup of tea.

If you're at all interested in doodling or drawing to save time, Autodesk Sketchbook is great.

Especially if you're already technologically literate and looking to explore your phone/eventually get to the point that you want edit or look at internal files (for example, if you want to root), you'll need a file manager. I use Cabinet Beta.

I don't remember how much of the Google suite of apps you have (do you know if you have the GPE or Sense on there? in other words, did you buy from a vendor like Verizon or AT&T?), but there are a lot of them that are really nicely designed and functional:

Inbox or Gmail for email
Chrome for web browsing
Keep for short note-taking and reminders
Maps for GPS and whatnot
Play Books and Play Music for e-reading and listening
Hangouts does SMS and basically messaging over wi-fi plus video calls
Newsstand is a decent news aggregator
Translate for translating text and whatnot
Drive for writing and editing documents
News & Weather does good forecasting and provides very general news

Clover is a good 4chan browser. Reddit News is good if you're into that sort of thing as well.

Netflix is fine. Pushbullet (install this in your web browser also) is great in that it allows you to write SMSes from Chrome or Firefox or whatever and mirrors all notifications on your phone to your computer.

These are initial apps coming to mind
>>
>>45710890
depends on what version of the phone you're on
>>
File: 03.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
I HAVE ONE PLUS ONE 64GB INVITES
PLEASE TAKE THEM
$363 TOTAL UNLOCKED
EXPIRE SOON
cyanogen mod
Kitkat
13mp
2.5 ghz
Etc
>>
>>45705204
Except run without lag, not crash all the time (why else do you need a removable battery so bad), last more than 18 months, get updates for more than 12 months, not have an App Store with 50,000 viruses.
>>
>>45704908
>>
>>45704908
635 with imageboard browser. I bought the paid version for no ads.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.