[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you have a raspberry pi? And what are you using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: jesus what a mess.jpg (416 KB, 1920x1351) Image search: [Google]
jesus what a mess.jpg
416 KB, 1920x1351
How many of you have a raspberry pi?
And what are you using it for?

Mine is running samba+apache server and a torrent client.

Best investment ever.

I further wish to automate torrent downloads, like running a script that automatically looks for episodes of series that i'm watching when they come out and automatically downloads them. Is there such a script already out there?

Also gonna control the lights in my room through some relays and wireless modules and controlling them through a webpage through apache server. Currently waiting on said modules to be delivered.

Would love to hear more ideas.
>>
>>45688683
I don't have one yet, however I am looking at getting one to make a touchscreen stereo for my car with easy streaming music and videos to/from my phone. Auto downloading podcasts when I pull into my driveway and connect to WiFi etc...
>>
transmission-daemon and flexget, you can thank me later
>>
>>45688721
i saw this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fSoViiNOo
Might help.
>>45688732
I'm already running transmisison-daemon. Thanks for suggesting me flexget. Seems like the thing i was looking for.

Have you tried other torrent clients? Deluge seemed like a better option than transmission in many websites that compared the two.
>>
>>45688754
I've tried Deluge. I couldn't stand it, it was missing a few really basic features that helped a lot, like search. I know this is just anecdotal, but I've found transmission-daemon to be flawless, and I use it very heavily.
>>
>>45688683
Look for Sickbeard
>>
>>45688754
Cool video, thanks!
>>
>>45688683
With XBMC on it, I have it hooked up to the TV and powering ambilight that I've got on the back. I also use have it auto downloading any TV shows that I watch. It really makes for an awesome media experience. Will probably order another one - the new version (with more USBs and slightly lower power consumption) goes for $35 on aliexpress.
>>
mine's running nginx, rtorrent, ircd-hybrid, and an ftp server

it's only using 45 MB of RAM
>>
>>45688683
did you do the case with a 3d printer?
i like what you are doing and im reading about raspberry pis more and more. i dont even know what it is but im assuming its a mini computer without a display port?

also i haver to be able to program stuff in order to use it? or can i just download scripts and upload it to the raspberry pi?

how would you go about adjusting room lights with it? i mean how would you connect a computer to power cables running through your walls

what i will be doing next: read stuff about raspberry pi so i know what its all about. just yesterday i was in the 3d printer thread and were amazed as well, havent read into it much yet though
>>
>>45689000
Do you experience any slowness when playing videos? Does it take a lot of time opening new videos or is it rather seamless?

I never used xmbc. The only reason i'm not hooking up my pi with my tv is because i would have to spend money on a new wireless keyboard+mouse combo. I just looked on the play store, does xmbc remote works well with pi?
>>
>>45689046
>ircd-hybrid
ah! another great use of pi. I'd use it but i'm not much into irc's.
>ftp
why not samba?
>>
>>45689090
don't know anything about it, ftp gets the job done, and I can access it from my web browser
>>
I was thinking about doing something like this but I didnt think it would be powerful enough to transcode 1080p. Im installing arch on my old s3 to text how capable of a server it makes
>>
>>45688683
Using it as a ZNC bouncer and looking forward to install a VPN
>>
>>45689059
No slowness or any kind of stuttering while playing videos. I actually find my internet connection to be the limiting factor, and not the hardware.
I exclusively use XBMC remote and stream almost all content from my phone via DLNA. I only use the keyboard during the initial setup of Wi-Fi.
>>
These have always sort of interested me but I have zero computer engineering or soldering background.

What kind of stuff would I need to learn to do something like OP said, control lights in room with software
>>
eventually want to set mine up as an ADS-B receiver and radar server with an RTLSDR dongle.
still haven't gotten around to getting a proper antenna and other shit yet though.
>>
File: url.jpg (471 KB, 980x500) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
471 KB, 980x500
The ODROID C1 is $35
>>
>>45689051
>case
nah, i bought it on ebay. It's known as piblow case but mine is a rip off of that.

It's like any computer except it's cheap, small, and consumes less power. It does have a display port. HDMI in newer version and composite in older ones. Though most people like to use it without a display (called headless).

No you don't need to program to be able to use it. Though i'd recommend having some linux experience beforehand.

I will be using relays to control the light switches, that will be connected to raspberry pi. I might use wireless modules because i won't run wires from raspberry pi to every switchboard in the house.
>>45689107
with samba server, you can have the drives connected to raspi as network drives. It's like you connected the drives to your pc/laptop itself. I don't know about ftp but you can just stream videos through a samba server. I guess you'd have to download the entire file through a ftp first before watching.
>>
>>45689180
Yes this literally blasts the shit out of the Pi. Why the fuck do people continue to waste money on the RasPi?
>>
>>45689159
this

since there seems to be a big community out there, there will also be a lot of scripts available already, so programming doesnt have to be essential. just general computer understanding.
also you will have to be able to use linux

but just like you i have no idea how you would go about controlling lights in my room with a software
>>
>>45689202
sounds like raspberry pi is becoming the apple of mini computers
>>
>>45689202
>>45689180
Can you run Plan 9/Inferno on that? I wanted to get a Pi mainly for installing one of those.
>>
>>45689159
I'd say start off learning the electrical stuff to do it, then learn how to do stuff with python, because that is how you're going to be controlling stuff programmatically from the pi.
>>
>>45689202
No software/OS support on pretty much all of the RasPi clones.
>>
>>45689228
You can install every flavour of Linux and BSD.
You could install Plan9 on it but I doubt there would be any support or anything. So idk
>>
>>45689159
op here. If you have zero background with soldering and electronics, then a project that involves 220V is definitely a no-no. Start small. make a led cube or something.
I'm an electronics student but i myself am a bit unsure what will work.

If you want to learn more how to do that shit, search home automation on youtube/google/instructables.
Kevin derrah has some great tutorials on this topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M00K7-nT24
>>
>>45689248
i soldered some stuff in the past, but what does this have to do with the raspberry pi?
>>
>>45689248
Probably because a lot of hardware hacking involves soldering
>>
>>45689180
Before buying pi i searched for some better alternatives. I only found beaglebones and bananapi (maybe some others).

Still raspi was the only one in that range. I never stumbled around odroid C1, though if i had to guess, the reason people buy raspberry pi compared to other boards is probably because of community support. You can find a lot of supporting tutorials/articles/help in general for raspi than other boards.

Once you're familiar with raspi, you can easily move to other boards.
>>
>>45689310
The odroid c1 came out two weeks ago or something like that m8.
>>
>>45689264
That was regarding controlling lights in your room with raspberry pi. That's a hardware project. Raspberry pi in general does not need soldering experience for you to use it.
>>
>>45689333
So around the same time when i bought my pi.

Well, shit happens. I just gotta roll with the punches.
>>
>>45689310
thanks
>>
Can these things have wifi? I might have use for one - it'd be general clandestine internet stuff.
>>
>>45689335
i understand

>>45689415
you can put a small wifi antenna into one of the usb ports. has to be compatible with whatever os you are using
>>
>>45689415
You need to connect a wifi dongle through one of the usb ports. They're pretty cheap afaik.
>>
>>45689180
>>45689202
Looks pretty good, but as it has already been mentioned the rasp has a great comunity and info avaliable. Also, in my case I wouldnt be able to connect the audio with this or other aternative boards to my old TV, while I still can with the rasp pi

>>45689415
Yes you can buy a wi-fi dongle for it, but explain what you mean by "internet stuff"
>>
>>45689159
The RasPi is capable of PWM on all GPIO pins, so you just need to make a buffer circuit using power transistors to make it handle 220V(or whatever voltage your lamps use) and program the Pi to handle whatever switches you plan to use. Shouldn't be too hard, just make sure to debounce any switches you use as inputs for the Pi.

On second thought, you'd probably be best off using optocouplers for controlling the lights since they make an air gap between the logic circuit(RasPi) and the lights.
>>
>>45689493
>optocouplers
How are those different than a relay?
>>
>>45689415
>general clandestine internet stuff.
you're a little wifi-hacker, aren't you?
>>
>>45689520
They don't suffer mechanical fatigue, are faster in switching, but can't handle voltages/currents as high as relays.

That's about it.
>>
I have cheap android stick that I installed linux on.
Using it as ssh server, hosting my website, and I made program that downloads chinese cartoons from xdcc using generated schedule

Never really used it because it has only usb and has some power problems.
When I have my hdd enclosure connected to it it works but it keeps breaking the connection so should make script to mount it back.
Also stopped wathing chinese cartoons.

Never really used the website for anything because got bored when I had to make it look good.
>>
>>45688683
Currently using it for retropie. I'm getting an external HDD tho so I'll probably make this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Pi-Based-Home-Server/?ALLSTEPS
>>
>>45689532
Optocouplers also create an air gap between the logic circuit and the power circuit, so you can't fry your RasPi using them unless you fuck up royally. That's why I recommended them.

Most optocouplers can't handle mains electricity, though, so you need to use power transistors to do the actual switching.
>>
>>45689483
Onion sites, paypal, BTC. Best to isolate it from my main computer. What better than something that barely looks like a computer?

>>45689526
Who, me?
>>
>>45688683
autodl-irssi

whats the speed you get when transferring data between the external harddrive and ur pc? max speed I get is 14mb which is a pain in the ass. Also extracting a 4gb movie over samba share takes 40 minutes so I usually ssh onto it and unrar x it which only takes like 5 minutes
>>
File: DSC_0067.jpg (1 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0067.jpg
1 MB, 3920x2204
NAS, DLNA, Apache 2, Cloud
>>
I use mine as a pirate radio station.
>>
>>45688683
>I further wish to automate torrent downloads, like running a script that automatically looks for episodes of series that i'm watching when they come out and automatically downloads them. Is there such a script already out there?
flexget + transmission
>>
I have mine running ArcOS connected to a 256gb ssd until I am ready to use it in my gaming pc.

Arc is nice, easy to use but a little slow, I just use it for transmission and wordpress
>>
>>45689672
The transfer speeds are a bitch.
The max i get is around ~5 mbps if i'm lucky.

If i watch a video and start a transfer, the video lags the entire duration of the transfer.

I think it's cause the bus is shared between Ethernet port and usb ports, Also i probably have a shit router.
>>
>>45689639
What kind of controller do you use in retropi?
>>
>>45689202
because they trust the pi, it's very easy to provide a better mini pc than the pi, but yo have to know the pi will be better and more supported than this one in the future
>>
>>45689647
Yes, that too, because they are essentially a LED that activates the gate of a transistor.
>>
>>45689708
I had a simple USB controller lying around which works pretty much out of the box (simple set-up via ./retropie_setup.sh), I also have a wireless xbox controller which i'm trying to get to work as well
>>
Anyone know if there is a way to turn a Pi into a repository for crypto currencies?
>>
>>45689669
If what you mean is use it for browsing you better forget about the pi, it not powerful enough for that
Look for other board or fanless PCs
>>
>>45689680
>NAS
explain
>>
is there something better than openelec/raspbmc for R Pi? I find xbmc very slow when pulling shit from the internet, locally it works great but it's so damn slow at searching for youtube videos, and just searching which is simply displaying on your screen a list of links
>>
>>45688683
>>45688683
>How many of you have a
raspberry pi?
I do.
>And what are you using it for?
http://raspberrycolocation.com/
>>
>>45689724
What brand is your controller?

I bought a cheap ass controller that didn't worked with most of my pc games so i disassembled it. If i had that still lying around i'd try my hand at retropi. But if i'm gonna buy a new controller, i should make sure it works with pi.
>>
>>45689758
>http://raspberrycolocation.com/
What the fuck is that? the fuck does colocation mean?
>>
>>45689808
i dont get it either
>>
>>45689761
It´s a Logitech Precision:

http://www.4surpluscity.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/650x650/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/6/963335-04031.jpg

>Too lazy to download a picture, yea i know
>>
>>45689808
you buy a server and keep it in their server room.
>>
>>45689808
>>
>>45688683
No. too slow to be useful.
>>
>>45689808

Others have pointed this out but I only know from my job. Colocation is essentially renting space in another company's data center.

Like Netflix may be a colocator in an ISP's data center so they can drop a server closer to their customers.

Depending on the terms the local data center folks may or may not maintain the remote equipment.
>>
>>45689836
dammit controllers are expensive.
>>
>>45689672
>>45689698

See, this is why the pi is little more than a toy.
>>
>>45689808
>colocation
>co
>location

come on
>>
>>45689894
I did look up the definition, but how is raspberry pi being colocated?
Do you buy a raspberry pi, use it and then send it over to the company so they make a cluster of them?

Or do you set your raspberry pi connected to the internet in your own home and hence it forms a network across the world?
>>
>>45689924
idk why they are this expensive now, i got it for like 10 bucks. However this is also an option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Gaming-Controller-for-NES-PC-Windows-Plastic-Plug-Play-Black-White-/331370131122?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item4d2732eeb2
>>
>>45689948
>do you set your raspberry pi connected to the internet in your own home
That wouldn't be colocation

You buy a pi, you send it to them, and they hook it up to their fast network.
>>
>>45688754
Man I would love to replace my car radio with my raspi B+ but I can't find an indash touchscreen mount for my 2001 toyota corolla
>>
Is there any legitimate better value alternative to the pi? i.e.
>as cheap or cheaper than the pi
>runs proper linux (fuck off androidfags)
>as fast or faster than the pi
>at least 256m memory
>ethernet port
>usb port
>hdmi can fuck off
>>
>>45690002
>>45689180
>>
>>45690000
>>
I don't really use mine any more since I got a VPS which is faster and has more storage.
Still, I'm really glad I made the investment, it has served me really well for 2 years.

Would recommend/10
>>
>>45689989
So it's like owning a server rack, except the rack here is your raspberry pi?
>>
>>45690046
Yes
>>
>>45690037
For internet purposes VPS is better option (owncloud, vpn etc).
But for NAS raspi works best.
>>
>>45690056
Neat. Though a digital ocean droplet would be better i guess?
>>
>>45690079
Yeah, all the storage my pi has is its SD card. I've considered getting a cheap USB HDD and adding it there, but my pi is mounted on the wall in my garage. Mounting another device there and a power strip seems like too much work atm.

I'm lazy.
>>
>>45690013
Huh, I thought those only ran android. Maybe I'll get one. Anybody know if it needs a ton of binary blobs?
>>
>>45690147
>binary blobs
what?
>>
>>45689752
Not the guy but NAS = Network Attached Storage. Simply connect an HDD to the PI and have it ftp (or whatever you like) accessible inside your home network (or outside your network for a private cloud)
>>
>>45690180
yes i looked stuff up avout it. seems like its way too slow for my purposes
>>
>>45688683
i run a apache server on mine, as well as a irc bot. a website might not be the best to run on it, specially since web hosting is so dirt cheap these days. but it was a great learning experience to set everything up.
>>
>>45690223
>learning experience
good point. i should really get one
>>
>>45690219

It would be slow. The Pi Network and USB share bandwidth so transferring over a network would slow transfer to the drive. It would probably be more reliable to get a cheap Buffalo or something if you really needed a cheap NAS set up. Though if you have the money Synology NAS is really nice.
>>
>>45690223
>>45690243
That's why i said it was the best investment ever.

But don't be like one of those dumbasses who buy this thing and are still clueless as to what it does. Look up stuff online and see what all it can do. If you don't think you'll want to do all that, then don't buy one. Spend your money elsewhere.
>>
>>45690159
https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=binary+blobs
>>
I put mine in a quad copter I built
>>
>>45690324
>no "was that so hard?" message after clicking the search button
It's like, they were not even trying.
>>
>>45690243
i can really recommend it. doesn't need to be a rpi, any small device is fine, as long as its cheap with low power draw.
I'm currently trying to battle the trashman, and I put "host and run my own website" on my resume, as well as include my website in every email I send out. not sure if it matters, but it helps you stand out I guess.
>>
File: BananaPi-A 45degree.jpg (54 KB, 555x475) Image search: [Google]
BananaPi-A 45degree.jpg
54 KB, 555x475
>>45690002
If storage matters, get the Banana. The onboard SATA shits all over.

I honestly don't understand the inbred niggers who make stone soup torrent/NAS/server solutions based on the Raspberry.
>>
>>45690350
You can do that on any server. Digitalocean droplets is what i'm going for next (since i got $100 coupons on that bitch).

Still it's not a very big deal you can just host a website without knowing a whole lot about web development.

Then again you never know what might get you a job.
>>
>>45690428

Yeah but running a web server somewhere is a good start. Its real nice to be able to do web based coding experiments and have somewhere to run them.
>>
Was thinking of using mine to measure the temperature using a DHT-22 sensor and logging it to a file. Don't know how hard it would be and what tools I would need though (wires? breadboard?). Never done anything of this sort before.
>>
>>45690515
Shouldn't be too hard. You probably will find some arduino tutorials using this sensor, maybe not for raspberry pi. Still it won't be hard. That's a fairly simple project.
>>
>>45690416
>10/100 ethernet only
But that«'s a subpar option for a NAS too.

A proper NAS needs AT LEAST Gigabit ethernet and a USB 3.0 or SATA.
>>
>>45690572
It doesn't matter when most of people are still using WRT54G.
>>
>>45690586
>WRT54G
this.

Fuck my router.
>>
>>45690586
>WRT54G
Disgusting
>>
blimp
>>
>>45690347
where does it get the power from
>>
>>45691631
probably from a battery pack
>>
thats it. im getting a raspberry pi
>>
>>45691776
man theres so much stuff to google and find out
>>
>supporting a group that's pro-censorship
>>
With the pi's hardware (let's say, the B+ model), up to what generation of gaming handhelds and/or consoles would I be able to emulate?
>>
I use one to control the lighting in my house.
I'm thinking of getting one of those smaller model A+ to build a quadcopter with.
>>
Should receive my ODROID C1 on saturday.

Quad Core Linux computer is now $35.00.
* Amlogic ARM® Cortex®-A5(ARMv7) 1.5Ghz quad core CPUs
* Mali™-450 MP2 GPU (OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1 enabled for Linux and Android)
* 1Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
* Gigabit Ethernet
* 40pin GPIOs
* eMMC4.5 HS200 Flash Storage slot / UHS-1 SDR50 MicroSD Card slot
* USB 2.0 Host x 4, USB OTG x 1,
* Infrared(IR) Receiver
* Ubuntu 14.04 or Android KitKat
>>
>>45692300
i want to be able to have as much fun as you have
>>
>>45692406
>SDRAM
what year is this
>>
Irc client, weechat
Motion detection and alert, motion+ssmtp+uploading to Google Drive etc
Torrent, Deluge
"Cloud" storage, samba and sshfs with 2 TB USB2 drive
>>
I got mine two days ago, I don't know what I should do with it. Maybe I'll write a web crawler or something.
>>
Are there any news about new rPi, something stronger is much needed
>>
>>45692434
>synchronous dynamic random-access memory
what's the problem?
>>
>>45692456

I doubt it for a bit. The A+ was like a month ago.
>>
>>45692448
>I don't know what I should do with it
just browse through the official rapsberry pi website. theres loads of ideas
>>
>>45692456
http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141351880955

This thing costs a bit more but its beefy as fuck.
>>
So is there some good software to measure the load on Pi. I was considering building an area of single tasking Pis doing things but I am wondering if I could double up some tasks.
>>
Mine just controls a solid state relay that turns a lamp on and off to aid my laziness kek
>>
>>45692494
i know many stronger things than rPi but they all lack community support

Fucknig banana pi is amazing but i can't even play fucking videos right
>>
>>45692578
Banana Pi doesn't have hardware accelerated video decoding.
>>
>>45692798
rPi does, i guess?

What other microcontrollers also have it?
>>
>>45692798
Mmm.. A20 has hardware video decoding. should work.
>>
>>45692808
I looked it up, it should be able to decode a shitload of formats, maybe try running Android on it instead?
>>
>>45692300
>I use one to control the lighting in my house.
Care to give some info on how you do it?
>>
>>45692819
as i understood, it has problems with drivers for video decoding which are yet to be released, but nowhere to be seen
>>
mine just hosts a web proxy that I use at school to browse /g/ at school
>>
>>45692912
>not using a free vpn
>>
File: gpio.png (16 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gpio.png
16 KB, 800x600
>>45692834
I made a diagram of what I have now.
>>
>>45692289
N64 is the max safe
>>
>>45693000
Hmm. I've thought of something similar. How's the power consumption on those things?
>>
File: IMG_20141219_125928.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141219_125928.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>45693000
I have a bunch of these hooked up to the lights in my house. The relay is tucked inside that beige box and it completes the circuit to the light switch when there is a 5v current applied to the signal side.
>>
>>45693033
havent really checked. They dont use too much though. The extra 5v power supply was from an old phone charger (500ma max)
>>
>45693036
>>45693000

This seems interesting, any tut on how to build it. Where do you buy relays?
>>
>>45693000
>using ssh
Why not just set up a simple shell script using ncat to listen?
>>
I don't really use it for much. nginx for small webserver, weechat for irc and a tor relay.
>>
File: test.png (5 KB, 423x297) Image search: [Google]
test.png
5 KB, 423x297
>>45693036
I have a question. you connect the relay in parallel to the light switch, right?

Does that mean if i physically switch the light on using the plug, the relay circuit would be useless unless i physically turn the light off? right?

pic related is what i have in mind.
>>
>>45693121
5V in the relay is to be given to the two terminals on the extreme right.
>>
>>45688683
>>45688732
>>45688754

xmbc, transmission,couchpotato and sickbread

thinking in buy a >ODROID C1 now
>>
>>45693121
>goatse
cant unsee
>>
>>45693088
They're pretty cheap on ebay. If you buy from china, I bet you can find one for 1 dollar. Buy a bunch to start out with. You never know when you need more.
>>45693098
I have a cool ssh setup on my phone already with widgets for each light. What's ncat and what do you like about using it?
>>45693121
oh no. I ran into that problem while wiring up. I wire up the relay on top of the light switch, so that you can still use the light switch as normal. Cool thing about the setup is that all the lights shut off automatically when rpi can't ping my phone.
>>
Oh I misunderstood, yeah the relays would be useless when you toggle the light on manually. That's why I try to stick to using the relays to toggle the lights as much as I can.
>>
>>45693143
god damn it
>>
>>45693178
>>45693121
>>
>>45690572
Banana Pi uses Gigabit ethernet. Not the greatest.. but with a 2TB 2.5" HDD attached to the SATA port and GigE, I get ~30-40MB/s read/write. Could definitely be better.
>>
>>45693154
>>45693178
yes that clears it up. Thank you. I guess it's the only best option.

Unless i use a 2 way switch. Boy! that just came into my mind. It'd run perfectly until my circuit loses power.
>>
>>45693003
What about handhelds? Would a GBA be doable?
>>
I'm using raspberry pi B for a 4 WD robot with sonar, infared camera and IR leds, it also has a small robotic arm out front, i'm currently using it to search the streets around me for small metalic object, i live in the whitest neighbor hood no one will steal it. I shall call it the FagOS
>>
>>45693222
Do you have pics?
>>
>>45693222
can you please post pictures

also what power source do you use
>>
>i use my raspberry pi for a satellite i send into space. attached an expensive camera to it and some solar panels so it sends back some neat pictures back to my computer
please
>>
File: sm4pul.jpg (27 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
sm4pul.jpg
27 KB, 500x332
>>45689059
Not that anon
If your tv supports hdmi-cec you don't need a keyboard/mouse. It takes a second or two to open videos from my windows smb share, but that's more probably due to the hard drives spinning up.
I'm using raspbmc on a model B with the 'super' over clock and everything works smoothly ootb
>>
>>45693261
Can we have pics?
>>
>>45693208
gba should work great
>>
>>45693197
It uses? I read it only had 10/100.
Going to need some sources.
>>
>>45693261
>RPi
>satellite
>not designing a custom board and making your own cubesat from scratch
Stay pleb.
>>
>>45693334
Up to N64 and up to GBA is already more games than I'll ever be able to play, which sounds like a good amount to get the library started with.
Thanks!
>>
Are there any programs that can read an internet radio stream and transmit it on lan as airplay stream?
>>
What is the best/easiest way to stream movies/music from a Linux computer to a RPi with XBMC? I tried UPnP. It works when it wants to but it's iffy as hell.
>>
>>45693324
i was quoting my imagination hellooooooooo
>>
>>45692508
I want to hook mine up with the coffee machine and control it via shortcut on my phone.
But for now It's sitting somewhere around the tv in it's fancy case, slightly overclocked with two aluminum 'radiators'. Seen a movie or two with XBMC. But sure a lot with learning about linux !
>>
>Apache2
>PHP
>MySQL
>PPTP VPN

And still quite strong for it.
>>
>>45693527
Where are the pictures at tho. You some kind of liar?
>>
>>45693555
>radiators
Those are called heatsinks.
>>
>>45693599
Sorry, it was a long week.
>>
>>45693562
On the topic of the PPTP vpn, is there a handy application to monitor the active connections and its users? (The users are done via chap-secrets, no local accounts)
>>
Am I the only one using it for H264 encoding on the fly? I'm streaming online courses and making money from them, using the rpi.
>>
>>45693754
what online courses?
>>
>>45693764
Some courses given by my company, pretty shitty (skin care/whatever) but I'm getting $1000/week for 4 hours of doing nothing
>>
>>45693795
how many people watches those courses on your site? Or do you charge for playing?
>>
>>45693813
it's live classes (hence the live streaming/encoding), about 100 people watch it
>>
>>45693874
how the fuck 100 people give you 1000/week? Is it only because of ads or what? Seems too much mate
>>
>>45693896
they pay the company about 1k/month (each) for the courses. It's some e-learning 'forum' I made.
The courses are supposed to be above university level (I don't buy it though)
>>
>>45693934
still don't understand lel
>>
>>45693934
>courses about skin care
>$1k/month
>above university level

What a scam! (if it's true).
>>
>>45693982
it's "dermatocosmiatria" in spanish. something like dermatology
>>
>>45692845
>>45692808
>>45689059
OpenELEC has decent 10 bit support now.
>>
>>45689669
An onion site would probably take about a year to load on the pi. You probably want to do that stuff on a real computer.
>>
>>45688683
>I further wish to automate torrent downloads, like running a script that automatically looks for episodes of series that i'm watching when they come out and automatically downloads them. Is there such a script already out there?
Gewgle showrss and check out their 'transmission push' feature. Pushes episode torrents to your transmission web interface as they're released, been using it for years. You can also create custom torrent res feeds.
>>
>>45688683
Tried setting up Nagios on mine. But the non existent/out of date documentation on how it works made it almost impossible. That was a while ago, i may revisit it.
>>
>>45688683
>Supporting those SJWs

wtf is wrong with you faggots
>>
Best ARM board under $100 for XBMC and emulation that supports HDDs?
>>
>ARM
>not AVR
get reqd
>>
>>45694936
?
>>
>>45694936
>>>/pol/
>>>/v/
>>
I'm suppose to be making that script, but I have been dicking around. Just downloaded RetroPie.
>>
If I get one of these do I need to make my own case
>>
How do I run a Web2Py application off one of these? I got Apache working but my web2py server I can't access from my other machine.
>>
Samba+deluged
Downloading chinese cartoons all day.
>>
Huehuehue
>>
>>45698461
You can buy one off eBay or something for cheap.

Or you could 3d print it yourself. Though buying one seems cheaper.
>>
>>45698461
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pi-case-for-Raspberry-with-3-pcs-pure-aluminum-heat-sink/867983346.html This case is pretty good. Don't know what more you can need.
>>
What kind of power supplies do you guys use for your Pies ? Mine seems to boot only with a 2A one, from Sony. With a keyboard and mouse and LAN plugged in.
>>
Iv got 5.

My company uses them as the back end servers as we do not require much computing power. These things are amazing, they use no power, are incredibly cheap, and are pretty damn reliable.
>>
>>45701483
i use mine with a 1A supply.
Only ethernet and an externally powered HDD is connected to the pi.

i've used pi with a power bank with keyboard,mouse,ethernet connected.
>>
I was running xbian on mine but the 'bleeding edge' evidently bled out because after beta 2 that shit doesn't run at all without slaughtering a goat.

May repurpose it into a small server for assorted shit, watching films with it has lost it's allure when xbmc craps out like a motherfucker any time theres an update to anything.
>>
>>45688797
byteflood when ;_;
>>
Would it be possible to run OPC UA client/server software on the Raspberry Pi? Then interface it with building automation devices via the Ethernet port?
>>
>>45701508
>pretty damn reliable.
Which model are you using? My original Pi seems to like to randomly lock up for no reason during heavy file IO.
>>
>>45693349
http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-hardware-duel/
>>
Are any of the models able to do 1080p video playing yet? It would be perfect for something I could plug my external HDD in when I go to my friend's or elsewhere.

P.S. silly question but would I be able to plug it into my laptop and browse the files in that instead of an external HDD? I carry my laptop around but it doesn't have HDMI out or anything, just VGA.
>>
>>45702897
Do you mean using raspberry pi as a hdmi source from your laptop?
A vga to hdmi cable would be much more convenient for that.
>>
Mine runs a python script that books me library study rooms a university. You can only book them on 00:00 the same day, so I'm the first to always get the room I want. Probably going to run a torrent box on it too, but don't have the money for a large HDD at the mo'.
>student life
>>
>>45702897
RaspbPis? Nah, not generally.

You can get many Android stick PCs that can do this, and also development boards.

Most of the applicable inexpensive ones have Allwinner / Rockchip / AMLogic chipsets, but Intel is also an option.

> would I be able to plug it into my laptop and browse the files in that instead of an external HDD
You can access that over network (with a wlan module or NIC) or even USB, yes. The latter is probably more something for Linux users, though.
>>
>>45702926
>Mine runs a python script that books me library study rooms a university.
Haha that's pretty sick!
>>
Isn't it limited to like 5Mbps total?
>>
File: 14537761_z1.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
14537761_z1.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>45698461
you don't need a case, but if you're worried you can just buy one of those cases for exteriors, open a bunch of holes so it doesn't heat up and you're done, it doesn't have to be pretty and they are easy to open in case you need to connect/disconnect something
>>
Guys can i connect my printer through usb to my pi and use it as a network printer on windows/android computers in my house?

I would need linux drivers for the printer, right?
>>
>>45703295
why not just connect it to a router or to one of your other pcs?
>>
>>45703318
The printer only has a usb interface.
Besides raspberry pi runs 24x7 anyways. Would be nice to be able to print documents through multiple devices without having to manually plug in the printer every time.
>>
>>45703295
http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-any-printer-into-a-wireless-printer-with-a-Ra/?ALLSTEPS
yw
>>
Mine is a videorecorder. It's cheap and it allows me to edit out commercial breaks. (Which for some reason is disabled and/or legally not allowed in Germany.)
>>
>>45703339
Ah. Well. My printer isn't supported anyway.
>>
>>45703348
>not allowed in Germany
You poor bastards have it rough, I'm amazed you have ANYTHING to watch.
>yfw 'This video is not available in your region.' in german
Good on you for shitting on their restrictions though.
>>
>>45703338
and your router has one too and it runs 24/7
>>
>>45703378
My router a shit. Chances are it doesn't support printers through usb.
>>
>>45703407
you actually don't know that, if it has usb port it supports printers
>>
>>45703410
isn't the usb port there so computers without ethernet port can connect to it
>>
>>45703429
find me a computer with usb and no ethernet
>inb4 macbooks
apple is just retarded, and no the usb port isn't used for internet (I think) often it is used for 3g usb sticks and printers, in fact in your router advanced mode you'll find a menu for printers
>>
>>45703462
until 2010 i was using a computer without an ethernet.

I had to ask for a router that had usb interface since there was no other way to connect to the internet with that computer.

The router has changed since then but i still think the usb port actually serves as a backward compatibility thing. Not a printer support feature.
>>
>>45703486
what the fuck! where are you from? congo?computers have always had ethernet port, even before usb ports
>>
>>45703522
heh, That computer was from 2004 i think. To this day i always thought it had an ethernet port, but when i finally tried to hook it up, i couldn't find it.

And yes, i'm from a 3rd world country. Still the internet guy was surprised to hear i didn't had an ethernet port in my computer. I think i was rather an exception. That computer just stopped working after 2010. It was barely functional
>>
File: 0aoi4Fl2w1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg (179 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
0aoi4Fl2w1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg
179 KB, 850x1200
I want to get one and use it as "portable samba server"
to solve the issue of my nexus low storage.
1. Have the RPi to automount and share every USB flash drive that is plugged in.
2. Plug in a WiFi USB adapter and broadcast SSID to connect to and view the files on the USB flash drive as well as controll the pi.
Is this possible?
Also what do I need to make it? the WiFi adapter to be precise.
Finally could this solve the badusb issue?
>>
>>45703897
Yes all that is possible. Though carrying an otg cable with a pen drive might better suit your needs (unless you need all that data while charging as well)

You'd need a wifi module. Look around for ones that work natively with linux. i think the cheap ones on ebay for a few dollars might work too. I guess you should be able to make a portable wifi hotspot as well. I don't have any experience with this so confirm with ddg.

You'll need a battery pack to power the pi.

I don't know about the badusb issue, what is it?
>>
>>45689189
>with samba server, you can have the drives connected to raspi as network drives. It's like you connected the drives to your pc/laptop itself.
With no issues?
I was told that samba is a bad idea on the pi.
>>
>>45704225
Naah i'm watching videos right now via samba server that im running in my house.

The only problem is transfer speeds are a bitch. You want something with SATA port inbuilt if you want good transfer speeds. But since you're using pen drives, it won't affect performance that much.

So far i have never had any problems with it.
>>
>>45693003
What about DS/PSP/PSX?
>>
>>45696285
It's about the GG issue mentioning it here can get you a ban.
>>
>>45698965
?
More details on the performance?
I want to get one as well to do exactly that.
But I'm still not sure because I can't think I can set it up without a DE and don't know how to set up an RSS on it.
>>
>>45704348
The only problem with raspi is slow transfer speeds.

You should rather buy an odroid c1. same price, much better specs. There are tutorials for doing everything you want.
>>
My raspis (4) are clustered into a system for sharing cycles between my android and home computer.
>>
>>45703965
>ddg
I searched but it appear I'm the first to come with the idea.
>otg cable
Nexus doesn't support that unless you root, and I want to make it provide to 3 different devices at the same time, mostly chinese cartoon and since the decoding will be done by the player device I can run 10bit as well as HEVC
>You'd need a wifi module.
Any suggestions? I think the WiFi adapter needs to support hotspot?
>battery pack to power the pi
I was thinking of a car charger I found one that supply 2A, is it enough? Also what battery pack do you recommend?
>badusb issue
See this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuruzFqMgIw
>>
>>45704248
>i'm watching videos right now via samba server that im running in my house.
To be clear.
You use samba server on the pi that is connected to the router through ethernet cable and run media from a HDD connected to the pi and view it on what? what is the file size? Is the pi overclocked?running rasbian?any other thing that are running on the pi at the same time?
>>
Has anyone had any luck getting the Model B to run Twitch streams? I've tried both the XBMC Twitch plugin route, and following http://www.esologic.com/?p=951, but both freeze up or crash.
>>
>>45688683
I got one for a cloud at home. Really great cloud software which isn't bloatet as shit like OwnCloud. You guys should check it out it's called Redundancy (http://rdcy.de/)
>>
File: reaspi.jpg (13 KB, 301x218) Image search: [Google]
reaspi.jpg
13 KB, 301x218
>>45704496
The HDD is connected to pi.
Pi is connected through router.

I use my windows laptop/desktop to access the HDD that appears as a network drive on my windows 7 (pic related).

I can access the files on this drive as if the HDD was connected to the laptop itself. I view it on my default player, vlc.

And the file size is like ~170 mb for ~20 mins. It's an avi file and sometimes glitches appear during the start of the video. It runs smoothly during most of the video.

The Pi is not overclocked. It's running raspian. I'm op you can check what else i'm running in my original post.
>>
File: 0uI9v6P.jpg (39 KB, 490x718) Image search: [Google]
0uI9v6P.jpg
39 KB, 490x718
>>45704586
Neat, you've been most helpful OP.
As for the glitch I think it's the VLC try different player.
Finally is the RPi on static adress? how do you set it?
And is there a way to make the samba server allow anybody to see/read the content without a password or user name and prevent writing?
>>
Maybe you guys can help. I have a Pi and looking to set up Deluge and connect to a VPN. Know any good guides for getting this going? Or any information on setting up a kill switch for OpenVPN in case it drops?
>>
>>45704647
Naah raspi is slow at transfer. If i'm copying something through the HDD the video starts lagging. I can then see vlc loading chunks of video.

Yes it's on 192.168.1.17 for now. You need to edit some config files. There are many guides on it. I forgot what file it was. it's just setting the default ip, gateway, etc. Easy shit.

Yes you can configure the samba server to prevent writing. It's also simple editing of a config file. And yes, there are lots of tutorials on it. Just go and search. There's lots of stuff out there.
>>
>>45704708
>edit some config files
that's my biggest hurdle to master linux.
The only config file that I did was for MPV, and I used gedit.
>>
>>45704791
learn vi or nano.

Simple edits can be learnt in a few minutes.
>>
>>45704791
apt-get install mc

midnightcommander really helps. after installation type "mc" and you have a fully functional file-explorer over ssh.
>>
File: mc.png (21 KB, 804x482) Image search: [Google]
mc.png
21 KB, 804x482
>>45704929
>>
>>45704929
>midnightcommander
Based anon, can the pi handle mpv and libre office?
I can use it this way to do most of my work.
>>
I'm working on a piece of software to turn the RPi intro a full blown wireless router with web GUI and shit like that. Pretty fun project so far
>>
>>45705023
nice. so you'd connect to your main router through the ethernet and set up a wifi hotspot on raspi?

What kind of wifi module are you gonna use?
>>
In raspberry pi is it possible to run GUI for programs without running the DE?
like running qbtorrent from the command line and it will open
>>
>>45706346
You can have a daemon running in the background.
The UI can be accessed through a web browser. It's pretty awesome.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.