[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NETWORKING GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: rowtas.jpg (474 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
rowtas.jpg
474 KB, 1600x1200
I'm planning on going for my CCNA early 2015; any suggestions on what kinds of things I'll need to grab off ebay to have a solid homelab to work on? Is it worth spending the extra cash for a 3xxx series switch or can I stick with the 2950 for now? thoughts one way or the other on the 1841 vs the 2611(xm)?

any and all network stuff goes here I guess
>>
I did mine recently. Coming from a non-existent IT background apart from gaming and browsing the net.

You can do almost everything at CCNA level on the cisco packet tracer. Switches are cool to have for that hands on obviously, but you dont really need them.

Exam dumps are goat for passing the test.
>>
An 1841 from ebay would be great for learning cios.
>>
File: gat.jpg (10 KB, 215x234) Image search: [Google]
gat.jpg
10 KB, 215x234
>>45685344
>goat
>>
>>45685292
You don't need a homelab for CCNA
In fact, I recommend you don't get one
Use Packet Tracer or GNS3, if you want PT I can upload the binaries

CCNA does not involve layer 3 routing, so if you insist on getting physical gear, no need for it until CCNP
>>
>>45685641
*layer 3 switching

Fuck me
>>
>>45685292
You need some fucking power cables otherwise that shit won't work.
>>
>tfw you are a graduated network engineer
>It counts for jack shit because everybody wants certs, so if you don't have them, don't bother applying for jobs

At least I found a company, that is willing to get me the certs.
>>
>>45685654
Not OP, but I'd like some binaries, since I plan to go for my CCNA soon as well.
>>
>>45685782
Here you go, friendo
mega - #F!xRARlQCA!ZUcfhHNTmP8wKY6Uacw7Nw
>>
>>45685292
I bought a bunch of gear for my CCNA (only finished CCENT so far), and honestly it hasn't helped me a whole lot. Just learning the material in the books/videos and running some simulators like GNS3 have been the most helpful to me. I would even suggest holding off doing ANY work with sims/routers until you feel like you have a pretty good grasp of ALL the CCNA topics. Doing the physical hardware or even GNS3 sims can be super time consuming and overwhelming.
>>
Also Cisco networking gear is almost all super loud. Not real practical for a home environment, even if you're just using it intermittently.
>>
>>45685641
>upload the binaries
pls do
>>
>>45686293
It's like you didn't even try to read the thread
>>
>>45686312
I'm American.
>>
Just got my CCTRS OP, like 6 days ago, it was bretty cool, work paid for it.
IOS is dated as fuck, it hasn't really changed 30 years, but it also hasn't needed to. Get an emulator for IOS to really learn it, its a pain in the ass to memorize (like I did) because the syntax changes. Loading a config file from a TFTP or the NVRAM to the RAM
TFTP
R# copy tftp run
NVRM
R# copy startup running
stupid shit like that

What do you want to know OP?
>>
>>45686372
sup anon, im not the OP but i want to get this cert so i can have a better job

what site can you recommend so i can learn stuff?
i already know some of the basics but i still want to start from the basics because i mightve missed something crucial
>>
>>45686372
>IOS is dated as fuck, it hasn't really changed 30 years
>TFTP
>R# copy tftp run
>NVRM
>R# copy startup running

You got certified with this shit?
That's probably the most inane complaint I've ever seen
IOS has been updated a LOT actually, and your copy syntax problem is fucking retarded, here's why

TFTP - "copy tftp run"
NVRAM - "copy start run"

Fuck, and that's not even as collapsed as you can go
You can literally type "cop st r" and it will copy the config from NVRAM to running config

I can't believe they certify people like you
>>
>>45686435
LOL. Appropriate user name.
>>
>>45686372
I mean, I just want to reiterate
You literally are complaining about the same command using the same syntax, and saying that it's confusing

"copy tftp run"
"copy start run"

How fucking dense can you be

>>45686464
At least I got my CCNA
>>
>>45685897
Botnet alert
>>
>>45685344
Second this, Did my CCNA and everything can be done on packet tracer, switches are nice for "real world" experience.
>>
File: uwot.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
uwot.gif
2 MB, 500x281
So how does one start getting these certs?
>>
>>45686653
Take a class at a local community college
I'm not even joking
If you try doing it on your own using online resources you might be able to pull it out, but you'll probably just end up confusing yourself
A lot of people think they can start a blog to teach Cisco but either provide errors, unorthodox methods, or flat out wrong information
The key to a lot of Cisco exams is not necessarily even knowing the "right" answer, it's knowing the "cisco" answer
See if you can find a class, in person or online, that includes access to the Cisco Networking Academy. CBT Nuggets has some very good videos, produced by people who write for Cisco press
>>
>>45685292

i thought the thumbnail was a picture of a hotel with water slides out the windows
>>
>>45686435
>"cop st r"
not doing "wr"
>>
File: 1416428923283.jpg (33 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1416428923283.jpg
33 KB, 413x395
>>45686874

Now that's what I call a fucking business idea
>>
What does this certify you know (yah yah google, whats the /g/ low down)?

Don't switches already do the hard work / logic?
>>
>>45685897
Thanks
>>
how much does it cost to get ccent + that other exam to get CCNA?
>>
>>45685897
>>45686568
>>45688959

You can find this on rutracker + tutorials
>>
on which OS working when you learning for ccna
>>
>>45688862
hahahahahahaha no
>>
>>45689023
just took the CCNA, it was ~300. work paid for it though so that was nice. it's around $200 with the Cisco net academy discount voucher.
>>
>>45685292
>networking
>/g/
>ctrl-f 'pfsense'
>no results
Fucking disgusting guys. Pfsense is beautiful and respects muh freedums
>>
>>45690395
Actually, the founder of the project is a bit of a dick when it comes to derivative works. While pfSense is phenomenal, keep in mind that it's a project with only a few active devs and a lot more centralized control than many think.
>>
>>45685292

Taking a class I need the structure
>>
>>45686673
>> cock and ball torture nuggets
>>
>>45685344
Anyone have exam dumps here?
>>
>>45688862
Underrated post
>>
Since it general, ill ask something.

Why there is Fiber Optics panel in the first 1-2Units of the server?
>>
>>45691946
Firstly, those aren't servers, those are routers and switches
Secondly, they're not fibre optic. That should be pretty obvious since they have fucking ethernet cables coming out of them
They're T1 CSU/DSUs which are used to connect to WAN links, like leased lines
>>
>>45688737

wr is being deprecated, it isn't even in NX-OS. I just got some 3850s in and they run IOS-XE, I wouldn't be surprised if the command is also deprecated in that.
>>
>>45688737
I didn't see this post before
"wr" copies run to start
Not start to run
Genius
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.