[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>use debian for less than 3 months >feel ready to join
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 10
File: arch.png (41 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
41 KB, 1200x1200
>use debian for less than 3 months
>feel ready to join the /g/uild and install arch
>hear constantly how it's hard to install
>start following the beginner guide
>download the iso
>boot from usb
>fstab - mkfs - mount
>pacstrap /mnt base
>genfstab /mnt > /mnt/etc/fstab
>arch-chroot /mnt
>pacman -S grub && grub-install /dev/sda
>reboot
>it just werks

Wow, that was sooo hard.
Where did 'arch is hard to install' maymay come from?
>>
>>45675565
From winbabies.
>>
>>45675565
It was a cover hahah!
Now you've beaten our secret test to join the real /g/
There is another /g/ but it's invisible so you have to complete the trials.
Installing arch is the easing one, we bait the ones brave enough by saying it's hard.
Now you only have one thing to do.
install gentoo
>>
>>45675603
kek.
>>
>>45675603
Gentoo is level 2.
TempleOS is level 3.
>>
How the fuck is gentoo any harder to install than arch?
>>
arch it's not hard to install

that's conspiracy created by the haters
>>
sometimes I want to be so /g/ and act smug as shit so I pop in my porteus USB and flatmates are like wooooooah dude that is some radical hacker shit rite?
>>
getting the bootloader to work is the worst part of arch install
>>
>>45675565
archkiddies trying to act cool on the internet. Arch is a joke of a distro, and the only reason they don't have an installer is not because of some stupid "arch way", but really because the guy who maintained the installer quit and everyone else was too lazy to work on it.
>>
>>45676407
>needing an installer to generate a hanful of configs
>needing an installer to download a single package group
>>
Used to be a good distro. Then they ruined it with systemd.
>>
>>45675565
Arch Linux was never hard to install.
Hell, LFS isn't even hard to install.
>>
>using arch unironically
Enjoy your broken and unstable piece of shit.
>>
>>45677766
I'm a total linux n00b and so far nothing has broken, I've been using Arch for 2 weeks.
>>
>>45677841
I've been using it for 5 years witout anything breaking.
>>
What would be the best alternatives to arch for a rolling release distro?
>>
>>45677945
Gentoo.
>>
>>45678186
Walked right into that one...
>>
>he actually installed Arch
>>
>>45677945
Probably Debian Sid.
>>
Arch is AIDS and Manjaro is Son of AIDS, but what of Chakra? Officially forked and havign nothing to do with Arch except the package manager. Pacman isn't as kickass as Aptitude but it is fast.
>>
>>45676407
I'm not even using Linux, but it's not more than just following the wiki right?
>>45677595
I hear this a lot, could you tell me what exactly is wrong with systemd?

I am going to programming school in a few months, and I'm actually considering installing Arch as my first distro. I tried Ubuntu in a vm for about twenty minutes, then I uninstalled it because it was both slow as fuck and didn't seem to differ from windows that much.
>>
>>45679084
Systemd is brilliant. It lets the computer compute. However now that Arch uses systemd they can no longer claim to have emphasis on user-centricism like Gentoo does, and makes the 30+ commands normally done for you by an install script rather pointless. If you absolutely must have Pacman, use Chakra. If not, there's like a dozen other distros that outclass Arch.
>>
linux is like a 1960s mainframe
>>
>>45676407
the joke is that arch is a joke
>>
>>45679178
The term he used was 1970s meinfreim
>>
>>45679084
you don't really even need instructions to install arch if you're familiar with linux

really the only arch-specific command you need to use during install is "pacstrap"

... even then you can avoid that by using the bootstrap tar
>>
>>45679248
When has anyone ever needed to configure their own locale or configure wpa_supplicant?
>>
>>45679135
>there's like a dozen other distros that outclass Arch.
Like...?
>>
>>45679279
Pretty much all of them.
>>
File: lyl.jpg (35 KB, 372x314) Image search: [Google]
lyl.jpg
35 KB, 372x314
>Arch
i bet you also use riced vim to edit a conf file of your tiling window manager and change your animu wallpaper.
>>
>>45679275
see
>if you're familiar with linux

locale setup and wpa_supplicant are both done in a standard way, no arch-specific knowledge needed
>>
>>45679135
>Chakra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakra
O-ok.

I'm new to linux, would you be so kind to explain to me:
-why I would want chakra
-if systemd will have negative effects on the linux experience of a scrub
-why systemd makes the difficult install pointless
>>
>>45679313
Actually, what wrong with that?
>inb4 it's something that I don't like people do
>>
>installing arch
>utility to configure wifi
>have to manually mv shit into your timezone folder
What is this shit? Some say that you'll learn a lot about linux / computers if you install and use arch, but so far it's mostly just been arch specific stuff.
>>
>>45679478
You don't really learn anything unless you happen to not know what a filesystem is and other basic shit like that.
>>
>>45679316
Even Slackware sort of just does that for you though.

>>45679342
Arch is practically ripped off a distro named CRUX that (most likely as a joke) puts the user at the heart of the computer, requiring them to set their system up manually, write their own init scripts, and compile all software from source using a ports system. Arch however includes a package manager that uses binary packages that were compiled by someone else, and now systemd that takes pretty much all of the system management tasks off the shoulders of the user. While this is brilliant for an operating system that just works, it nullifies the user-centric spirit that requires a manual install in the first place.

Even if Arch itself is rather pointless, its package manager Pacman remains quite powerful. Chakra is a fork of Arch that uses the Pacman package manager, does not require the pointless manual install and is optimized for the K Desktop Environment. However it can be argued that openSUSE, Kubuntu or Sabayon have better implementations of KDE, so the major if not only reason to use Chakra is if you like Pacman.
>>
>>45679478
>utility to configure wifi
wpa_supplicant is used everywhere
>have to manually mv shit into your timezone folder
this is standard, and with systemd you can use it's method, too (timedatectl set-timezone <zone>)
>>
>>45679478
How is linux compared to windows if I'm going to be coding a shitload?
Some Anon told me I'd be better of with either windows or OSX, is that correct?

It's not exactly in line with what I've seen on here untill now.
>>
>>45679509
>Arch is practically etc
So you're telling me I should install another distro? Something like gentoo that really puts you at the wheel?

But why does Arch get recommended so often, what about the 5 points on their wiki? :(
>>
>>45679084
> I hear this a lot, could you tell me what exactly is wrong with systemd?
Violates UNIX vision and principles.
Devs force it a requirement in other software, so it gets spread around, because you can't use X without it (see Gnome DE).
Most distros have been coerced to switch to it therefore.
Gentoo is still standing strong. God bless.
Debian has had a big discussion about whether to take systemd or Gentoo's openrc. They chose systemd.

Don't install any linux distro on your main machine barebone. Automate the process (either vm or second PC) and then plop the thing on your main device when comforatble.
>>
>>45679492
You have to create a fucking symlink to configure your time zone, and it tells you nothing about what a symlink is. I doubt you even need to know what a symlink is until you try to install such a distro.

>>45679530
UNIX has always been the superior programming environment. There's a book about that. Linux is pretty close to UNIX if you don't like Mac OS or BSD.
>>
>>45679550
>You have to create a fucking symlink to configure your time zone
Are you trying to imply that this is difficult or something?

>I doubt you even need to know what a symlink is until you try to install such a distro.
You don't "need" to know it but it's a useful thing to know anyway. I did plenty of symlinks before arch.
>>
>>45679550
Would you be so kind as to explain to me what the difference is between UNIX and Linux? I've thought it was the same untill now.
>>
>>45679541
Arch is a joke. Arch users are stupid. If you want to be at the wheel, install Gentoo, Slackware, or LFS. If you're like me and don't really care, try an Ubuntu flavor or Debian Testing.

>>45679542
What the hell are you talking about with the coercion and such? People adopt systemd because it works.
>>
>>45679135
>outclass Arch
Nigger, if you haven't realized that Arch can be set up to mimic just about any other distro, perhaps you should remain silent. Package managers and politics are all that defines a distro these days.
>>
>>45679569
Basically, fuck off, Archfag.
>>
>>45679580
i use arch because i'm too lazy to use ubuntu or debian testing
>>
>>45679609
>>45679605
>>
>>45679605
>Package managers and politics are all that defines a distro these days.
Pretty much.

Arch has no political issues like Debian, no enterprise issues like Fedora, and its package manager is pretty much the best.
>>
>>45675691

Because it's redundant bull shit.

>>45675675
TempleOS is the easiest OS to use out of the three.

>>45675770
Arch is very easy to install, yes.

>>45676407
Nice meme, kkid.
>>
installation method is a the worst excuse not to use an os

you only have to install the os once
>>
>>45679627
Zypper beats it, DNF beats it, urmpi beats it, if APT merges some features with Aptitude and fix the lag with the cache, Pacman will have nothing to which to claim to be superior.
>>
Arch is okay, but it's a hobby distro, I wouldn't trust it with anything important.
>>
>>45679580
There are other alternatives to systemd that are just as good. That's why I said it goes against above mentioned principles.
>>
>>45679657
>Pacman will have nothing to which to claim to be superior
Do those have ports-like systems?
>>
>>45679642
>Arch is very easy to install, yes.
>>45679609
>Archfag.
>Arch is okay, but it's a hobby distro, I wouldn't trust it with anything important.
>>45679627
>its package manager is pretty much the best.
Arch is a joke. Arch users are stupid.

WHAT THE FUCK SHOULD I DO?
>>
>>45679684
Decide for yourself, fag.
>>
>>45679580
>implying lfs is an actual distro and not you actually build the system from the kernel yourself

>gentoo
>muh kernel
>muh build times

>slackware
>relying on one person to update your os
>>
>>45679684
Why do you need people to decide for you?
do you really fucking need approval for every single one of your fucking decision?

>LOOOK /G/ I'M FINALLY LEET LIKE YOU GUYS INSTALLED ARCH WASN'T SO HARD OMG FUCKEN WINBABBIES XD
>PLS WATCH MY ANIME WALLPAPER IN AWE.
>>
>>45679672
ABS isn't Pacman, and Portage outclasses ABS.
>>
>>45679716
I use none of those. There's no real point to them. However they are operating systems that actually do what Arch claims.
>>
>>45679684
We don't know dipshit. Look at the installation instructions and decide if you can understand them.If you do, it'll be clear to you whether or not its something you want to do.
>>
>>45679690
>>45679720
Oh ok, I'm installing Arch then.
Thanks guys! See you in a few days!
>>
>>45679726
>ABS isn't Pacman
It's part of Arch's package management system.
>and Portage outclasses ABS
As such, Portage is comparable to Pacman+ABS.

Fact is, 90% of reasons to use Arch involve Pacman+ABS being way more convenient than anything else.

Arch is experienced user-friendly.
>>
>>45679716
Yeah, that's not how slackware works

They have a team that merges upstream packages, but just like in the Kernel, one person is responsible for the decisions.
>>
>>45679761
>explicitly told Arch is pointless
>installs it anyways
>>
>>45679785
>explicitly told to decide things for himself
>tells him to be a sheep anyways
>>
>>45679781
Even still.

>2014
>no built in dependency resolution
>>
>>45679780
>Arch is experienced user-friendly.
kek
If 90% of the reason to use Arch is Pacman, why not just use Chakra?
>>
>>45679804
What the fuck is the point in Chakra?
>>
>>45679804
Because experienced users need less time to set up plain Arch than waiting for Chakra to install all those packages they don't need.
>>
Linux levels:
Level 1: ubuntu
Level 2: linux mint, debian, fedora
Level 3: minimal install of above
Level 4: arch
Level 5: gentoo
Level 6: LFS
>>
>>45679797
Good you've made a decision now go fuck yourself.
>>
>>45679785
I've been told by about twenty people it was the greatest thing ever as well.
>>
>>45679843
This place is 18+.
>>
>>45679804
>chakra
Install bloated KDE only to remove it immediately after.Nah.
>>
>>45679831
>packages they don't need
The fuck are you talking about? You don't 'need' a fully functioning operating system? And you keep using the phrase 'experienced users'. Experienced users don't give a damn what operating system they use, therefore they won't waste the effort installing garbage.
>>
>>45675565
No idea, it always seems to work smoother than my ubuntu or windows installs. Aside from when I, myself, decide to use git versions of core components, but I can handle those occasional breakages.
>>
>>45679851
Tell that to the other dozen Archfags in the thread.
>>
>>45675603
Made my day!
>>
>>45679761
here's a headstart
4 minute install
http://a.pomf.se/vmqspa.mkv

btw, to those talking about wifi during install, if you don't care for configuring wifi from the command line... don't. you can install arch from another linux livecd if you prefer, such as one with a graphical wifi manager
>>
>>45679863
Both methods will yield a fully functioning operating system.

But for an experienced user, it's faster to install plain Arch.
>>
>>45679840
Ubuntu should probably be mid-level because you can seriously break that shit very easily if you get even remotely adventurous with it.
>>
>>45679887
>But for an experienced user, it's faster to install plain Arch.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahahahaahahahhahahahahahahaahahahahhahaahahhahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaaaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>45679883
If your nic works off the CD you don't need an ethernet connection, you just have to be sure to install the necessary packages before you reboot.
>>
>>45679920
I'm sure your post has convinced everyone that Arch is bad.
>>
>>45679989
Convince? I was laughing at your joke because it's the right thing to do.
>>
>>45680032
>I was laughing
No you weren't, that was legit shitposting and you know it.
>>45679883
Thanks man! Is that the default install like the wiki page?
>>
>>45679804
>Chakra does not schedule releases for specific dates but uses a "Half-Rolling release" system. This means that the core packages of Chakra (graphics, audio, etc.) are frozen and only updated to fix any security problems. These packages are updated after the latest versions have been thoroughly tested before being moved to permanent repository (about every six months). This allows stable base to ensure stability to the rest of the programs. Fuck off Chakra dev.
Nope. I want rolling release almost all the time. It's one of the reason why I use arch.
>>
>>45680077
That's retarded and you know it.
>>
>>45680067
>Is that the default install like the wiki page?
idk, i haven't read the wiki page on installation
>>
>>45680091
Sorry that I want to be up-to-date.
>>
Thanks to AUR and one PKGBUILD provided in github, I was able to install wine with native directx, and now my games look and play just as well as on Windows.

Whatever about Ubuntu being easier for a lot of things, it's so much more annoying working with PPA's than PKGBUILDs and the AUR
>>
>>45680114
What package is that?
>>
>>45680179
This pkgbuild
https://github.com/brettlyons/pkgbuilds-nine/blob/master/xf86-video-ati-git-nine/PKGBUILD

AUR
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-d3dadapter-git/

Along with mesa from testing repos
>>
>>
>>45677697
Does Pacman really erase config files? What causes it to do this. I'm running Manjaro and i've never had this issue.
>>
>>45680315
>Does Pacman really erase config files?
No, it's just a meme.
>>
>>45680315
I think it did way back, but it hasn't done that for awhile now.
When an updated config file is shipped, pacman warns you that the new config was saved as "/etc/someconfig.pacnew".
>>
>>45679313
Wat is a hobby?
>>
>>45680320
is what Archfags believe

>>45680315
It happened to many people including Arch's big dev guy. It's probably a bug in the code that takes a lot of shortcuts in order to be fast.
>>
>>45680345
Gentoo.
>>
>>45675565
Because it's easy, it's only these fucking idiots that can't read with comprehension that are too stupid.
>>
>>45680457
How about fuck you.
>>
>>45680510
>>45680457
What does it being easy to install have anything to do with it being a good distro. Go masturbate somewhere else.
>>
>>45680544
>>45680510
>>
>>45680544
What the fuck are you on about you idiot? I was just replying to OP's concern.

>>45680510
Eat a dick you illiterate shit.
>>
>>45677945
>>45677945
Check out fedora's rolling branch or the opensuse tumbleweed release.
>>
>>45680585
Didn't format that right. The masturbate bit was to the archfags. The first bit was a genuine question, since I would've thought that ease of install is a good thing.
>>
Stay mad faggots, I use arch and I love it.
>>
>>45680629
Since all these distros are basically the same exact thing maintained by different people, the ease of getting to said same thing says a lot. There really is no reason at all to install Arch since Chakra exists.
>>
>>45680656
They don't even use the same repos and release schedule. 0/10.
>>
>>45680671
Antergos? Same principle, only KDE apps are far superior to GTK ones.
>>
>webserver VPS runs Arch
>zero downtime since first spun up

Deal with it, colonstuffers.
>>
>>45680656
>muh install
Just use an install script faggot. It's easier than anything else.
>>
>>45680688
Or you could just install Arch+KDE in less time if you're an experienced user.
>>
>>45680688
>only KDE apps are far superior to GTK ones
That would be true if KDE devs understood anything about UI layout and design. Its current state is a horrible clusterfuck of tightly-packed, haphazardly-arranged controls with no white space and it drives me nuts.

Its settings are also something of a lovecraftian horror and are in dire need of better organization.
>>
>>45680739
As opposed to GTK apps, which have no settings at all.
>>
>>45680707
>>45680709
>people actively stand by Arch like it isn't dogshit
kek
>>
>>45680772
>people actively shitpost
kek
>>
>>45680772
Arch is the best distro for desktop. Doesn't come with nonsense, just werks and has GOAT package management.
>>
>>45680771
It can be annoying at times, but GNOME/Cinnamon's lack of settings consistently bothers me far less than KDE's messy overload.
>>
installing arch , adding groups and basic stuff , xorg alsa drivers ... installing KDE , ending up with a bloated version of chakra , BUT WE LEARNED A LOT IN THE PROCESS , archfags !
>>
>>45680790
Please stop joking. It's starting to sound like you're actually this retarded.
>>
this thread is now full of 1337 h4xx3rz
>>
File: 1395229906096.png (6 KB, 473x454) Image search: [Google]
1395229906096.png
6 KB, 473x454
>memes depict arch users as irrational
>in actual arch threads, arch users keep presenting actual arguments for it, while every other reply against it is a shitpost or more memes
>>
>>45680848
>there's always a faggot who says this
>always misses the guy saying the install process is pointless and the archfag saying nah u 2 dumb
>>
the people behind arch orders you to : use systemd , OK , don't use /bin anymore , OK , use the retadred netctl OK , (maybe tomorow )use systemd timmers instead of cron, archfags OKKKK
>>
>>45680811
>>
>>45680897
Neither netctl nor systemd timers are encouraged.
>>
why does arch having a maybe-difficult install all that important? you do it once.

honestly, what's the difference between distros beyond package managers and maintenance?
>>
>>45680897
What's wrong with systemd? Arch just moved /bin to /usr/bin. Netctl is just used because it's lightweight, you can easily replace it. What's wrong with systemd timers? Cron is old and busted, systemd is new hotness.
>>
>>45680897
/bin is pointless in 2014. Everything being merged to /usr/bin makes more sense.
>>
>>45675565
>Linux
Die.
>>
>>45680917
It's the principle behind it. Why should I work for my computer in order to install the thing only to have little control over how it runs? If I'm not going to have that much say-so anyway, why not install a more trusted operating system that doesn't have a retarded install process? This has been explained so many fucking times.
>>
>>45680942
Alright, who invited Uriel here?
>>
>>45680924
It's the only thing left Microsoft-paid trolls can harp endlessly on for no real reason other than FUD.
>>
>>45675565
>Where did 'arch is hard to install' maymay come from?

You babbys don't appreciate how easy it is to install any linux distro these days. Go find yourself an ISO from 5~10 (or more) years ago and install that and see how much it has changed. Then you will see where these "* is hard to install" sillyness comes from.
>>
>>45680848
arch itself is a /g/ meme, it's about the only distro i've never heard mentioned at work
>>
>>45680848
Now you know.
>>
>>45680946
Because you like technology.

If you don't, you shouldn't be on /g/ in the first place.
>>
>>45680946
>only to have little control over how it runs?
What universe do you live in? It's FOSS and GNU/Linux. Do whatever the hell you want with it.
>>
>>45680997
>likes technology
>works for computer to install
>has no further say so in how it operates
Are you retarded?
>>
>>45680946
>only to have little control over how it runs
is this an issue with Arch?
I'm pretty casual, manjaro lazy-race here.
>>
File: art-is-resistance-year-zero.jpg (81 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
art-is-resistance-year-zero.jpg
81 KB, 2560x1600
>>45681008
>Manjaro
>>
>>45681008
>is this an issue with Arch?
No, it's just a bunch of FUD. It's not any issue with any linux distro.
>>
>>45681003
>working
See, if you liked technology, you wouldn't think of it as "work". Get the fuck out.
>>
>>45680990
This brings back memories of trying to install Yellow Dog (PPC Redhat) on an iMac G3 back in 2001

Took about 5 tries to get right and even then it had no video acceleration and was slow as fuck
>>
>>45680937
/usr/bin is pointless in 2014. Everything being merged to /bin makes more sense.

I'll tell you what makes more sense, though. Having /amd64/bin, /alpha/bin, /arm/bin, and so on; then transparently binding the correct architecture's bin directory to /bin in the global namespace at boot. You get a cross-platform installation for free.
>>
>>45681023
What's wrong with Manjaro?
>>
>>45681044
If you liked technology, you would want to have a say-so in how your system is managed and how your programs are compiled. I'll stay right here.
>>
>>45681053
>>45681023
Look again.
>>
>>45681058
>you would want to have a say-so in how your system is managed and how your programs are compiled.
Well it's a good thing that you have a say-so in all of those things.
>>
>>45681058
Yeah, because ABS doesn't do exactly that.
>>
>>45681068
>systemd
>binary-based package manager
Are you even trying?
>>45681069
>implying archfags even know how to use ABS
>>
>>45679875
>Archfags
Being butthurt over the circlejerking in the Arch thread. Leave this thread.
>>
>>45681082
You don't have to use systemd, and you can use the ABS if you don't want binaries. Nobody's stopping you from compiling all the software you want.
>>
>>45681051
not the anon you replied to, but I'm in favor of keeping system binaries and libraries entirely separate from user-installed binaries and libraries.

So combining it with your scheme for example you'd have

/sys/amd64/bin
/sys/i386/bin
/usr/amd64/bin
/usr/i386/bin

and so on. Package managers wouldn't touch anything in /sys/ unless installing system updates while all else gets thrown in /usr/.

It'd make everything much more clear and a lot harder to accidentally fuck up.
>>
>>45681082
>arch can't do x
>except it can
>b-but archfags don't do it!
>>
>>45681088
The point of the thread is to guide a newfag away from Arch AIDS, not fuck him in the ass with it.
>>
File: copy of 1411263386671.png (933 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
copy of 1411263386671.png
933 KB, 1920x1200
arch master race reportan

pros:
>pacman
>aur
>wiki
>performance
>rolling release
>good for newbs to introduce them to CLI instead of babying them

cons:
>i heard a rumor that a system update could break your system but its never happened to me
>>
>>45681067
I don't see what a .jpg has to do with the OS.
Spell it out for me like i'm stupid.
>>
>>45681109
>is this retarded
>>
>>45681102
Oh, and how many people do you think you have guided away from Arch in this thread with your amazing arguments?
>>
>>45681119
No, because that isn't the Arch Way.
>>
>>45680315
Yes in 2006.
>>
>>45681130
I was doing quite well until you fags showed up.
>>
>>45681120
>shitposting
>>
>>45681136
So...Being to lazy to make an installer is a good thing?
>>
>>45681136
>the Arch Way
That shit was dead the moment they moved from BSD style init to systemd. Seriously they changed the wiki article dramatically after that.
>>
>>45681149
>I was doing quite well
Yes, sure.
>>
>>45681170
>hasn't read the thread
>>
>>45681109
Which aur manager do you use? I started using packer because it is simple and just werks. I've used a couple others, but I'm never satisfied.
>>
File: 1337981.jpg (184 KB, 750x574) Image search: [Google]
1337981.jpg
184 KB, 750x574
>>
>>45681098
>arch linux server
>discontinued lol
>>
>>45681263
?
>>
>>45681167
>caring about the Arch Way
>>
>>45675565
I've never EVER used or installed any linux distro.

I was expecting to encounter horrible problems and a needlessly over-complicated install process.

I had none other than making a novice mistake of using GPT partitions with BIOS and having to restart because GRUB needs a 1-2mib sector if you do that.

I don't understand why anyone would cry about installing arch when the wiki is so well documented. The kind of person that would would be the same kind of person that can't follow basic instructions in general.
>>
>>45681314
>same kind of person that can't follow basic instructions
>4chan
>>
>>45675603
LFS MasterRace.
>>
>>45681314
>The kind of person that would would be the same kind of person that can't follow basic instructions in general.
Unfortunately, that seems to be most people.
>>
Fedora master race.
>>
>>45681314
you need a little historical perspective to understand, people wanking about arch are doing the same shit everyone had to do and hated circa 2000, and it comes off extremely hipster
>>
>>45681377
I consider installing Fedora sometimes, but then I remember I'm not a faggot.
>>
>>45681314
>why anyone would cry about installing arch
Nobody does. It's simply needlessly complicated. More reputable distros have moved on from such foolishness.
>>
Arch is shit.
If you want a simple and lightweight OS just install Debian minimal.
>>
never been able to get arch working with a uefi motherboard, every other distro works fine on one though
>>
>>45681400
>refusing to use the de-facto upstream Linux workstation
>not a faggot
>>
>>45681605
SUSE?
>>
>>45681540
>It's simply needlessly complicated

But it isn't unless you consider editing like three configs to be overcomplicated.
>>
>>45681605
>the de-facto upstream Linux workstation
*tips fedora*
>>
>>45681645
>inappropriate use of understatement
>>
>>45681667
I just fucking installed it yesterday and as I said I have never even used any linux distro before.

Everything about it is straightforward.
>>
Why don't you faggots just install arch with the lution installer?
>>
>>45681692
You still had to type a lot of shit in. You haven't had to do it like that since Ubuntu's creation.
>>
>>45681605
>Using Linux at all
>Not dead
>>
>>45681711
>use an install script
Problem solved.
>>
>>45679542
>Violates UNIX vision and principles.
If people want UNIX systems, they would use BSD or OS X. Linux isn't even UNIX.
>>
>>45681718
>having to pull from a third party what competent devs just give you
>>
>>45681711
Yeah, you have to type in a whole lot of shit that you would use for general navigation and file editing.

You have to use real difficult editors like nano and know the paths to a few conf files that are already filled in a need to lines changed.

It was a real nightmare. I had to look at the man pages for ip and everything. I think you even have to use the cp command at some point.
>>
>>45679542
>Violates UNIX vision and principles.
Good thing systemd isn't on Unix.

>Devs force it a requirement in other software, so it gets spread around, because you can't use X without it (see Gnome DE).

>In November 2012, the GNOME Project concluded that basic GNOME functionality should not rely on systemd.[52] However, GNOME 3.8 introduced a compile-time choice between the logind and ConsoleKit API, the former being provided at the time only by systemd. Ubuntu did provide a logind binary that is separate from the rest of systemd, but this became a de facto dependency of GNOME on systemd for most Linux distributions, in particular since ConsoleKit is not actively maintained anymore and upstream recommends the use of systemd-logind instead.[53] The developers of Gentoo Linux also attempted to adapt these changes in OpenRC, but the implementation contained too many bugs, causing the distribution to mark systemd as a dependency of GNOME.[54][55]

>GNOME has further integrated logind.[56] As of Mutter version 3.13.2, logind is a dependency for Wayland sessions.[57] There are plans to replace gnome-session with systemd, but systemd would not be running as PID 1 and gnome-session would remain available on non-Linux systems.

>Most distros have been coerced to switch to it therefore.
Conjecture. No one has been forced to adopt systemd.
>>
>>45681789
>real difficult editors like nano
>it literally has the keyboard commands displayed on the screen
>>
File: arch.jpg (225 KB, 750x574) Image search: [Google]
arch.jpg
225 KB, 750x574
>>45681211
assuming the chain is long enough.

wait, are you saying that yes, this is exactly how difficult arch is, but people just think it is?
>>
>>45681789
now do it with lvm+luks, now do it again after a few months, and realize how pointless it is while you're reading those man pages all over again
>>
>>45681818
>What is sarcasm
Linux is still shit, though.
>>
>>45681818
>> I think you even have to use the cp command at some point.

>not noticing le joke
>>
>>45681845
I don't see why knowing things like how to configure your connection through terminal is pointless.

Now I know how to configure with ip if I were to set up a server.
>>
>>45681845
NAME                 MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 223.6G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot
└─sda2 8:2 0 223.1G 0 part
└─lvm-crypt 254:0 0 1.1T 0 lvm
└─cryptroot 254:1 0 1.1T 0 crypt
├─cryptvg-root 254:2 0 20G 0 lvm /
├─cryptvg-var 254:3 0 12G 0 lvm /var
├─cryptvg-swap 254:4 0 5G 0 lvm [SWAP]
└─cryptvg-home 254:5 0 1T 0 lvm /home
sdb 8:16 0 931.5G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 931.5G 0 part
└─lvm-crypt 254:0 0 1.1T 0 lvm
└─cryptroot 254:1 0 1.1T 0 crypt
├─cryptvg-root 254:2 0 20G 0 lvm /
├─cryptvg-var 254:3 0 12G 0 lvm /var
├─cryptvg-swap 254:4 0 5G 0 lvm [SWAP]
└─cryptvg-home 254:5 0 1T 0 lvm /home

No problem.
>>
>>45681829
Why do all of that retarded shit when the result is the same with a regular chain lock?

I think that's the point. It doesn't even feel like arch gives you more control over anything.
>>
>>45681891
irrelevant because that's not arch specific
>>
>>45675691
It's harder because waiting for shit to build every time there's a security update is rage inducing.
>>
>>45680706
I bet your systemd is 5 major versions late.
>>
>>45681185
i use yaourt.. never seen a reason to switch maybe ill give packer a try
>>
>>45682096
One thing I don't like about packer is that it doesn't tell you how recent a package is, or how many votes it has.
>>
>>45679804
I use Arch with KDE and have for years. I'm open to trying Chakra. What improvements would I see? Does it work with AUR/ABS? I assume so since Pacman, but it's important.

I like the description of Arch as experienced-user friendly.
>>
>>45682128
Chakra is forked from Arch and should theoretically have all the cool Arch-type things, but openSUSE has Zypper and rpmfusion compatibility, and Sabayon has Portage.

>I like the description of Arch as experienced-user friendly.
But that's the most retarded thing to come out of any of these tweens' mouths.
>>
>>45680990
iktf. Was using Mandrake back in 2001 as a college freshman with an AMD T-bird 1.4ghz with a gig of RAM and a GeForce2 mx400.

Shit sucked back then, you kids have it great with PCs these days
>>
>>45675603
kek'd hard
>>
>using a disro that lacks basic things

Why suffer on purpose?
>>
>>45682594
>lacks basic things
Like what?
>>
>>45682753
You know exactly what. Now fuck off.
>>
>>45682766
I really don't.
It just werks 4 me, and has everything I want.
>>
>>45682779
>has everything I want
Because you put it there.
>>
>>45682788
And?
Do you expect a distro to ship absolutely everything anybody could possibly want by default?
>>
>>45679920
:^)
>>
i like arch. it was my first distro after using windows for years and years and it was not hard to install, and it shouldn't be hard for anyone as long as you can read and follow instructions. i prefer arch over gentoo/lfs type stuff because i honestly don't care to configure most backend stuff entirely from scratch. imo arch has the perfect amount of control given to the user without expecting you to do a bunch of tedious stuff that you don't care about.
>>
>>45682829
Every other one does.

>>45682930
But there's no control given to the user. You only set up the thing, otherwise it's just another OS. Why should you have to set it up?
>>
>>45675565
>he went from Debian to Arch
hehe, look at this retard
>>
>>45682964
i like to set it up so it has only what i want on it
>>
>>45682998
>only what i want
You don't know what you want, or you would have compiled everything yourself.
>>
>>45683017
i know what i want as a somewhat low-level linux user. arch fills a specific niche for being (semi-)user friendly and allowing an average user choose what software they want on their computer without coming with a bunch of software that they'll end up uninstalling or replacing later
Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.