[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small/Stupid Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 29
File: Question.jpg (158 KB, 1126x844) Image search: [Google]
Question.jpg
158 KB, 1126x844
>>
what
how
when
why
>>
>>45658800
that
thow
then
thy
>>
I need a more portable laptop than my 15" 3+kg elitebook beast,

I can get a barely used Macbook5,2 (mid 2009) with great battery almost for free. If I upgrade the RAM, will it serve me well for just doing Webdev/Python/LateX/Reading PDF's/Watching 720p video/maybe matlab on the road?

Will probably install Ubuntu or something as it doesn't want to go further than OSX Leopard as far as I know. Also I have the Elitebook on the side for the heavier work

Do/Don't for about €70?
>>
>>45658739
I have some bcrypt hashes, is it realistically possible to decrypt them without using a million word dictionary attack?
>>
>>45658910
Examples:
$2y$10$tvVkjjql.w2CkWSqI2eHZujqErLCsBeCRyqoLo/7avI7twl0Pxv4O
$2y$10$CTQPsLSlvyvNtu3Nf4SbF.tFuKdHCiVKC9Lgntm9pDsRP3GSG4pzS
$2y$10$7Dj0d1qLxvkJ0xEgpUqBU.OU8cW3jYKZ.7.Q6zkWWjf6Kx2v3mBy.
$2y$10$h3RgS49v...iaUKrMsqZUO.3fx1xFOXZdyO0ko0hsroUUnyFAz7
>>
>>45658739
Not really programming but I couldn't find a QTDTOT thread and you guys always help me with programming stuff.

How do I get openvpn to work on mint? I've watched several youtube videos and have searched.

I've put the config files in the openvpn folder, I've also put the certificates there, I renamed one of the .ovpn files to .conf because I read that somewhere. What do I do now?
>>
Hi /g/, just installed Arch Linux.

Had no problems during the installation, but now I'm trying to establish a wireless internet connection (I used wired connection during the installation). I've spent the last hour looking for a driver for my wireless card, which I have now located but it's not in a repository but on Broadcom site.

So the question is: is there some way to download the driver from there? I don't have a GUI on my system yet.
>>
>>45658739
Whats a good monitor for a $300 price tag?
>>
How do you prevent music from replacing lock screen wallpaper(kitkat)?
>>
>>45658739
Has anyone ever run Damn Small Linux from a cloud like OneDrive or GoogleDrive on Windows? I want to try to do it. I bought a 64GB flash drive for $29 today. I am going to dedicate it to DSL because clouds have made flash drives obsolete.
>>
I'm looking to upgrade my laptop, BUT how do I know how much it can be upgraded (without changing the motherboard). ie can I put in any CPU, RAM etc?
>>
>>45659195

Depends if anything is soldered on. RAM is sometimes upgradable but CPU is mostly soldered onto the motherboard. You need to look up the technical manual for your laptop.
>>
Is there any way to sort folders based on the size of their contents in Windows 7?
>>
My fan's rattling almost every time I boot my pc. What could be the cause? Usually I just hit the side with the fan and it stops.
Opened up my tower our of curiousity etc after the first occurance, but as I have no clue about hardware, I ended up closing it again after some dusting and putting in a hdd.
>>
For some reason pip is only working in one virtual environment that I have. I tried re installing without being inside the venv, but no dice. Thoughts?
>>
New build. Just installed windows, and then I started installing some drivers.
After a few restarts, now nothing USB related works after the BIOS. Not in safe mode, Windows installation disc, etc. Only works in BIOS

How fucked am I? How am I supposed to fix this shit when I can't even reinstall windows?

(this might be beyond the scope of this thread, but /g/ hates tech support threads)
>>
Just out of curiousity, what was the first Nvidia GPU EVGA manufactured?
>>
At what speed should I burn Dreamcast games to CD-Rs?
>>
>>45659109
nvm, solved it myself
>>
>>45659374
Around 8x should be fine. It's not as finicky as old CD consoles from the early 90s
>>
File: 2014-12-17_04-17-25.png (41 KB, 1400x554) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-17_04-17-25.png
41 KB, 1400x554
I reinstalled ShareX and lost my old settings. So it used to go through the process of giving me a mp4 output and then run CLI after to convert to webm. Problem is I don't know what to put for Path and Arguments here in pic related for webm conversion.

help?
>>
I have an awful old video that has duplicated frames all over the place. Sometimes there are ~100 duplicates for a single frame.

Is there an automated way to remove duplicate frames from a video?
>>
Hey /g/, is it a good idea to invest in one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418819082&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+duster
>>
>>45659431
is it an investment, or a purchase?
>>
what is the equivalent of Alt + Shift to change language on Fedora(Korora). I can't seem to find it on google. I have both languages activated on keyboard layout.
>>
>>45658866
bumpy ;( Also, better non-thinkpad options under €100?
>>
Can anyone recommend a good bookmark manager for Firefox?
>>
File: 1390658559497.jpg (20 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1390658559497.jpg
20 KB, 640x480
Is it possible to install Nvidia's GeForce Experience and disable everything but the FPS counter?
>>
File: 1418279346903.png (23 KB, 426x304) Image search: [Google]
1418279346903.png
23 KB, 426x304
How do I git gud at Linux?

Every time I look up how to do something there's always some fucking beast in the forums who posts a list of shit to put into the terminal. How do I ascend to beasthood? How does one git this gud?
>>
>>45658910
>>45658920
>hashes
>decrypt

pick one.
>>
>>45659242
google "folder usage windows programs"
>>
>>45659431
just a gadget, regular dyson will work as well...
>>
I've got a new laptop and I need a new Torrent program, did you guys ever finish G torrent?
>>
>>45658910
>I have some bcrypt hashes, is it realistically possible to decrypt them without using a million word dictionary attack?

Um... no. That's sort of the point.
>>
>>45659702
Type out the commands, don't copypaste.

Never forget the prime command:
> $ man man
>>
newbie web/oracle developer here and i want to start using linux which distro is good for me? plus playing some games on steam
>>
>>45659797
obiously Ubuntu.

what hardware? Anything special?
>>
What's a GOAT portable charger you guys shill , I travel alot and i need one
>>
>>45659802
why not mint or opensuse? desktop i5,gtx650,8g ram
>>
Hey guys, I wonder if you could use a PS3 as a homeserver, basically storing music and movies on it's HDD and then streaming it on laptop.

From what I got, it certainly works the other way around.
>>
>>45659768
man core-utils
>>
>>45659831
I guess I'm biased. I've used Ubuntu for 5 years now (with unity, yea, shoot me).

To be honest here's the things I like:
>easy install
>PPA system
>Unity function ALT + search command (love this! pic related)
>big user base
>stable as fuck
>>
File: 1417396351397.png (273 KB, 560x452) Image search: [Google]
1417396351397.png
273 KB, 560x452
I'm trying to fix a toshiba laptop, it posts, bios loads, but always within 10 seconds of loading the OS it'll shut off and restart.

I've tried different ram, taken the hard drives out and tested them, I'm running off a live ubuntu usb, given everything new thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink and fans.

What else can I try?
>>
Best Thinkpad for 300-600€?
>>
How do I set up a LAN network for my bros? All I have is a switch, 1 computer running 8.1, and 2 running XP?
>>
So i'm going to send my phone for repair/inspection, because of some strange scratches which are not on the display, but inside it. It has to be in stock condition. Except factory reset, unroot and flash stock recovery, anything other I need to do to make sure it counts as in warranty ? It was reinstalled last week, rooted for 30 minutes in order to change some stuff in build.prop and then unrooted.
Thanks!
>>
Open Broadcaster Software crashed as I stopped the recording. I have an mp4 which I assume has the content, since it's over 1GB in size.
How do I recover it? VLC or MPC-HC won't play it.
>>
>>45659892
Take out the battery and run off the charger
>>
>>45660206
One of the first things I did, I figured it might be a heat problem and took it out. If the CPU or graphics were fried how would it act? I think it may be that because I'm pretty sure bios runs entirely on the mobo? so when it goes to run the OS that's when it starts using the cpu, but it takes a few seconds to die, so that makes it seem more like a heat thing.
>>
If I got an external simply to back stuff up so I only used it to be backing things up and not use it regularly, would it last longer?
>>
>>45660421
>If the CPU or graphics were fried how would it act?
You would get no response from the computer whatsoever

In your bios, is there a temp for the CPU to give you an idea? From what I can tell you, if three's a heatsink on the CPU then it's not a heat issue. It would go long past the desktop before shutting off. If it dies not long after turning it on, it's an electrical issue.
>>
File: IC_image.jpg (38 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
IC_image.jpg
38 KB, 1000x1000
I got myself an old AVR Classic prototyping board and I'd like to learn some microcontroller programming.

Should I start learning from Assembly language or go directly to C?

I've no previous µc nor or ASM/C programming experience.
>>
how do i take 60fps videos on my galaxy s5? ive been trying for a while now, but theres no setting for it.
>>
How do I Binary Count in C from 0 to 255?

Example:
0000-0001
0000-0010
0000-0011
1111-1101
1111-1110
1111-1111
>>
File: 1362842906504.png (169 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1362842906504.png
169 KB, 500x382
>>45659667

I know I have to activate shadowplay but is it always recording?
An FPS counter that uses too many resources defeats the point and recording video typically eats up a chunk of CPU
>>
>>45658739
How do I hide threads on 4chins using Clover?
>>
>>45660570
Set recording mode to smooth...
>>
What's the easiest programming language to learn and how would I go about learning it? What sort of math should I be able to do or if I need extensive math knowledge to even do programming?
>>
>>45660707
...ty
>>
>>45660490

The bios doesn't have a temp but it isn't too hot to the touch, not enough to shut down. I've also been through the bios to turn off anything that may be shutting it down automatically, not there are many options.

Would upgrading the bios be worth a shot?

I've had an idea though, tomorrow I'll go to the local pc repair shop and see if they have a compatible mobo in their "freebie bin". That way I can isolate the cpu to see if that's the problem, and if it isn't then I might as well use that and make a pc for the workshop.

The cpu is an Intel core 2 duo P8600 @ 2.4ghz.
Just fast enough to play on my mind every time I see the laptop sitting idle in the top of my cupboard. also 4gb ram.

As for if it's an electrical problem with the laptop itself I've made sure I'm using the right charger, but if it's a short I wouldn't know how to go about finding it.
>>
I've been having a problem with the arch install on my laptop, which started happening recently.

I normally start i3 through startx, but now sometimes when X loads I can't use either my keyboard or mouse and have to reboot.

Tried reinstalling and haven't had this happen with other distros, so I think it might be an arch specific thing.

Anybody have any advice on where to start looking?

Looked at Xorg's log but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
>>
good resources for learning php (any format is acceptable)
>>
>>45660774

I just tried disabling the 2nd core and now it hasn't restarted, strange. I'll try running a heavy program to see if it restarts under load.
>>
What's an alternative to mayhem's 4chan X since it seems to be dead?
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-12-17-14-31-23.png (405 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-12-17-14-31-23.png
405 KB, 1080x1920
I got the WiFi and GPS disabled and yet all my navigation programs still know my exact location. How?
>inb4 botnet
serious answer please.
>>
>>45660854
Discovered ccd0's 4chan-x yesterday, and it's a great fork.
>>
Is microsoft in any danger of losing everything?
>>
>>45660854
ccd0
>>
>>45660891
Menu > Google Settings > Location
Access Location off

and if you want delete all your location history go to https://maps.google.com/locationhistory
>>
>>45660703
You can't. You could ask the dev to put it in though.
>>45660714
Probably python if you are interested in just learning a language for fun. It really depends on what you are planning on using it for and what you want to do in the future.
>>
>>45660992
Yea but I mean who do my phone knows when it is despite WiFi and GPS being switched off.
>>
Should I build a DDR4 Beast PC now or should I wait until it's more field tested?
>>
Looking to upgrade my shitty 8 year old dinosaur of a router. Any suggestions around the $50 price range?
>>
>>45661075
>Only DDDR4
>PS4 has DDR5
>>
How is the LG L40 as a budget smartphone? (Same processor as the L70, just a smaller screen and twice as cheap here)

Thinking about replacing my samsung galaxy y
>>
If I got an external simply to back stuff up so I only used it to be backing things up and not use it regularly, would it last longer?
>>
>>45660990
>>45660981
thanks been looking all over.
>>
Is the Nexus 9 worth getting? If no, why, and what would be better?

I was thinking of getting an ebook reader, but why on earth would I spend money on a tablet I can't use for anything else than books?
>>
I'm slightly deaf (only slightly, but it's noticeable) in one ear so listening to music is a pain in the ass if I'm using earphones or headphones.

Are there any decent portable music players that can change the audio levels of each ear bud independently? I only have a shitty iphone 3 right now and I can't afford anything high end.
>>
File: arch linux for lesbians.png (755 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
arch linux for lesbians.png
755 KB, 1080x1920
>>45660798
Anybody?
>>
>>45661378
Great, just overpriced in the sense that you don't get much back. Great battery and display, but only 32 GB options really goes fast with the space. Been using as an eBook reader and its great. I would recommend it, if it was 100-50 dollars cheaper. Go for the shield tablet instead
>>
>>45661460
Is it true that the plastic on the back "pops" slightly off and that you can push it back in?
>>
>>45661479
Mine doesn't do that, although it does bend inwards if I really apply some pressure. I've seen the videos, but its probably a rare defect. Mine does have slight backlight bleed, but it isn't very noticeable
>>
>>45661529
So you'd say the build quality is -ok-?
>>
I'm currently installing Linux mint on my laptop how do I go about dual booting it with windows 7? I would like them to be on the same HDD since it's the only one in there but it is not very clear on how to do so.
>>
Just did a distro reinstall and i cannot get mpd+ncmpcpp started, usually don't have troubleFailed to create pid file "/home/kupo/.mpd/mpd.pid": Permission denied
[/code]

Reinstalle dmpd etc like 3 times. same shit over and over. I have a pid file. and permissions are all fine.
>>
>>45661746
I haven't had any other tablets, but I can say its like a larger nexus 5, fastened together with a metal band on the edges, which make it feel solid. Speakers are OK, not spectacular but OK. I dunno about the camera because who uses cameras on tablets. I use it without a case or screen protector, and all it gets are fingerprints on the back (nexus 5 back). Its a little unwieldy with one hand but you get used to it
>>
File: 1336780410971.png (215 KB, 479x271) Image search: [Google]
1336780410971.png
215 KB, 479x271
If i want to unlock a telus 4s and a 5 iphone, is there a way or a program i can get that doesn't cost anything to do so? cause for real; i am not paying 30 or 50 bucks to unlock this shit, and i am positive that there is a way out there that don't cost me shit.
>>
What's the general consensus on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro? It seems like a steal for what you get, but does it fall short anywhere?
>>
So I finally switched to Chrome even though there are probably better browsers out there. I want to alter the new tab page to use a list of websites I frequent but on Chrome there doesn't seem to be a way to manually change them
>>
what is best looking 11.6in taplop I can get that I can put a normal ssd in for anime and shit, maybe some coding.
>>
How do I disable suid from running shit as another user from the kernel? I don't want something stupid like a buffer overflow in ping to lead to privilege escalation on my Tor box.
>>
hey guys, I am an idiot and I want to set up a vpn for my house, what do I need? Keep in mind I am an idiot, not sure even where to start. I already read some tutorials and I am confused. I have an old laptop and have VERY little experience with linux, what do I need to do? Is the vpn shit in windows 8.1 any good? I want to surf the web securely/download shit securely. Thanks
>>
>>45659939
anyone ?
>>
>>45659504
Get the Macbook. I have the 5,1 and it's lasted me 6 years of obscenely heavy use. If it's $70 that's a legit deal
>>
>>45658739
What's a FOSS alternative to AutoCAD? I can't stand Windows, and even less AutoCAD.
>>
>>45658739
is Jewtube being retardedly slow for you guys as well these days?
I have a 10mbit connection and cant watch 1080p vids without it buffering every 10 secs.
>>
File: Cinebench.png (282 KB, 1881x723) Image search: [Google]
Cinebench.png
282 KB, 1881x723
Hey /g/ is that right? Shouldn't everything be at 100%?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (188 KB, 1344x658) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
188 KB, 1344x658
Which is the better option?
>>
>>45663161
Both are garbage
>>
Is there any way to download all images in a 4chan thread? I'm on Xubuntu by the way.
>>
Is there a way to have num lock always on? I have a k70 and the led annoys me. After looking on the net the only results I get are to turn it on during the post. Willing to read/learn if you know how to find material on said issue, or take advice on keywords to search.
>>
>>45662946
dont use cinebench its a useless benchmark for reasons in your pic
>>
>>45662946
Not if CineBench isn't heavily CPU-based
>>
File: image:.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image:.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
How mucj voltage should my 4 pin power connected plug have? I'm confused everywhere states it's two yellow wires@12+v and two grounds. Multimeter shows like 18.4 @the plug and 18.4v at the power supply. Is it supposed to be this high? It trips something in the psu and I have to "reset" it. Dont think its shorted anywhere as it only trips when I plug the 4 pin into the mobo

I was trying to just replace the mobo in my alienware x51with an Asus mobo, but even after death it still wants to fuck me over.
>>
I'm a longtime m235 user and I really like it. I'm getting a new rig though, and it's time for an upgrade.
What's a good gaming mouse thats:
-either black or red or a mix of the two.
-not too expensive think 70 dollaridoos max
-bigger then the m235
-not wireless
-not fucking Razer

Maybe the m525? Or is a gaming mouse really that much of an advantage?
>>
File: smartrgback.jpg (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
smartrgback.jpg
56 KB, 400x400
i have to use this shitty modem/router from my new isp (pic) but i already have an rtn16 configured the way i like it (port forwarding, dyndns, qos, static lease, etc) ...

what would be the best way to get around this? should i just connect my rtn16 to the isp router and then assign it to a DMZ? is there a better work around this?
>>
File: 20141217_145602.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20141217_145602.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
My phone's camera sucks how do i make tje images better?
>>
Anyone know how much power a gtx970 actually draws under load? I want to know if the throttling is going to be an issue with the one i buy if i decide to overclock in the future
>>
File: 1414882998774.jpg (77 KB, 650x443) Image search: [Google]
1414882998774.jpg
77 KB, 650x443
So I want to become more savvy about computers in general. I have never built one but I'm really interested in doing it. Any websites or youtube channels that have some good information on the subject? I just want to know basically everything about every part and why one would be better than an other.
>>
I accidentallty misconfigured a new network interface on Debian, using wrong subnet and address, so I edited it to use the proper configuration, but bringing it back up still seems to pick up the old configuration. Also using "ip a" while the interface is brought down, and doesn't exist in the config, still displays the interface, what gives?
>>
C++ Question :

I have a templated abstract class on type T, with two virtual functions that take in a value of type T.

Now I have a class that extends this abstract class, but specifies the template parameter to be an integer. The methods are implemented, but with integers instead of T as the type.

But it's saying that this subclass is still abstract, and thus I can't instantiate it, even though I'm overriding the methods.

Any ideas?
>>
>>45663787
Install gentoo
>>
>>45662270
bump for /g/entoo users.
>>
>>45663958
it comes with time and google... first step would be to stop calling friends for help when you have an issue...
>>
Is there a way to steam FLV files to a video player?
I know there are one or two for youtube.
But I would love one that is more universal and works with a lot of sites since most web players are disgusting.
>>
list = []
list.extend(range(2,101))

for x in range (2,101):
for i in range (2, x-1):
if x % i ==0:
list.remove(x)
print list

Why doesn't this work? error says x is not on the list but it clearly is
>>
I just borrowed my dad's iPad for some days. I think it's pretty comfortable for a student, it helps me read my books and they look great in it.
What else do you use in your iPad/Tablet? What are the basic Apps?
I'm a CE student, if that matters.
>>
>>45664359

porn and more porn
>>
I wanna build a small HTPC with OpenELEC on it, preferably MiniITX size. I already looked into some stuff for it, mainly the motherboard the case and some AMD A-Series APUs but it still seems to get quite expensive for being essentially just a media center. I wanted to get a RasPi at first but I'm afraid that it won't play some of my files/won't be good for anything else beyond OpenELEC should I want to switch things around a bit. Any recommendations on which Mobo, CPU and maybe which Case I should look into?
>>
>>45664340
I don't know what language that is, when does it say that? on the first iteration?

every time you remove an element from the list the array shrinks, the index of all items after the one you removed change down by one.
So if your last element has index 100 and you remove 1 at the beginning it is now 99.
When you iterate over them now after removing a few eventually you reach a point where your iteration index is bigger than the items left in the array.
>>
Hey guys, quick question, i just set up dual monitors, and im watching Kibi on one screen while the other screen is my desktop, however its very annoying, is there anyway i can put my desktop moniter to sleep whithout fucking with my playback on my other screen? Also the power button on it is broken.
>>
>>45664340
protip 1: look up the sieve of eratosthenes
protip 2:
x = 6
x % 2 == 0, remove 6
x % 3 == 0, remove 6
>>
>>45664514
not without a power button on your desktop monitor.
>>
Can a PNY gtx 580 and AMD Phenom X4 955 black edition run GTA V with no OC?
>>
>>45664558
is the game out yet?
>>
What is a trustworthy/FOSS tool for remote access/control for linux mint?
>>
File: 1411514245952.gif (2 MB, 528x292) Image search: [Google]
1411514245952.gif
2 MB, 528x292
>>45663161
Well, the one on the left has a video card unlike the right one.
>>
>>45664614
ssh
Want a remote desktop? Fuck you, this is linux.
Do you actually, really want a remote desktop? VNC, I guess. It isn't fun.
>>
Is a 144Hz IPS panel possible?
>>
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheapest graphics card of a given chipset? Probably something by gainward or galax
>>
>>45664637
the one on the right has 2 video cards...
>>
>>45664566
No.
>>
>>45664905
then how should we know!
>>
All of the free web hosting services seem to only offer "PHP support" amongst others. Does that mean I won't be able to test my Python/Django stuff on it? Now when I think about it, it makes sense (their servers don't have Python/Django installed). Is that right or am I missing something?
>>
>>45664913
Guestimation. I don't know much about the power of a 580. I know it's old and decrepit but I figured in an xbox 360 can run it so could mine, I just want to know if there will be an improvement.
>>
Are all 144hz 1ms panels actually 1ms(GTG)
>>
>>45664965
https://wiki.python.org/moin/FreeHosts
>>
I am having a problem setting the refresh rate on elementary OS, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>45665019

Nice, thanks.
>>
I'm trying to make bowtie display info of the music I'm listening to in mpd on OSX but for that, I need to install this: https://github.com/sgentle/MPDTie

How do I install that thing? I didn't understand the installation process.
>>
>>45664005
Nvm, after reading the manpages for a bit I figured it out by using:
ip link set dev eth1 address <address>

And so on.
>>
>>45664724
probably, but it will cost a lot and nobody will buy it
>>
>>45665047

Ask yourself: do you really need Elementary Os? Which version are you currently using? The old one based on Ubuntu 12.04?
If it's for the looks, you can easily make a proper, newer Ubuntu look like it. Install Ubuntu (or one of the flavors, I like Xubuntu) and then just install Plank for the dock. Voila, you have Elementary Os, but not buggy and actually supported.

As for the resolution, doesn't Elementary Os have a front-end to Xrandr? Install LXrandr, should be easier to set it that way (it doesn't have that many dependencies).
>>
Is it possible to make it look like a folder with a bunch of files in it, is actually a virus that invaded my computer?
>>
>>45665047
I think you need the .0
>>
>>45665136
I'm on Freya
>>
>>45665136
Also LXrandr does not work
>>
>>45665159

Is that version even out or considered "stable"? Either way, I think you might be luckier with a standard, "mainstream" Ubuntu.
Download the ISO and try the live session, to see if it's indeed an Elementary Os issue or something else.
>>
Tried dual-booting arch alongside my Win7 install on my laptop, but it stays stuck on the BIOS boot menu (grub bootloader doesn't seem to have been installed). My hard drive does show up under the boot menu, but whenever I select it, all it does is start the menu right up.

Anyone know a way around this?
>>
>>45665308
Install the bootloader if it hasn't been installed? Duh.
>>
>>45665136
Good advice.
>>
I want to buy a new ssd for my laptop. I currently have a 120 GB one and I have my eyes on a 240 GB one. What's the best way to clone my current one with the new one in about to buy?

Also, how often do you guys reformat your hard drives/partitions?
>>
var uw = null,
loc = null,
con = null,
ytcenter = {},
yt = {};
uw = _unsafeWindow || (function() {
var a;
try {
a = unsafeWindow === window ? false : unsafeWindow;
} catch (e) {} finally {
return a || (function() {
try {
var e = document.createElement('p');
e.setAttribute('onclick', 'return window;');
return e.onclick();
} catch (e) {
return window;
}
}());
}
})();
ytcenter.unsafe = {};
uw.ytcenter = ytcenter.unsafe;

what
>>
Should I get an ASUS Strix GTX 970 for $290 or wait for AMD's 300 series?
>>
>>45665657
javascript.
Fun fact: it's almost certain that somebody actually went and typed that into a text editor as opposed to having it codegenned
>>
I've never torrented anything. Where do I start?
>>
>>45665731
I would get the 970
>>
>>45665776
Download a torrent client
>>
/g/, I am looking for a program, I dont know if it exists. Basically I want something that replicates the filesystem of my harddrive without actually being able to access the files, so I would just have like a catalogue that shows the entire drive's layout without any actual files in it. I want to have a record of what the drive contained so I can replace any missing items I might have forgotten about in case of drive failure.

Does something like this exist?
>>
>>45665937
Just put something like a tree diagram of the files inside a text file. But either way, you will always have to have access to all the files
>>
>>45665937
find / > indexes
>>
>>45664703
"Lol what's X forwarding????"
Go back to >>>/b/ pleb
>>
What is /g/'s recommended way of installing Windows 7/8.1 from a USB drive. I Own a copy of Windows 7 if that helps.
>>
>>45665986
I used to keep a spreadsheet inventory of my stuff and which harddrive it was on but it's getting way too troublesome to maintain, so I want something I can just run every once in a while that will just draw up a skeleton view of my filesystem I can look through.
>>
>>45665937
make a spreadsheet bruh
>>
>>45666114

I don't know about the /g/ consensus but this is what I did

>get windows iso from http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/
>format your USB following http://bootableusb.net/install-windows-7-usb-drive-easy-way/
>set the bios to boot from usb drive
>use Daz Loader

so easy even an idiot like me could do it
>>
>>45665889
Which one?
>>
>>45666112
you mean "what doesn't work correctly
>>
>>45666141
tree >file.txt

Something like that. Works on both linux and winblows
>>
>>45666198
I use rufus for the bootable usb and mstoolkit to activate
>>
File: 1417968791038.jpg (218 KB, 584x1110) Image search: [Google]
1417968791038.jpg
218 KB, 584x1110
OSX question here:
I want to make bowtie display the music I'm currently listening to in mpd and I found that:
https://github.com/sgentle/MPDTie
But I didn't understand how to install it.
>>
>>45666198
>>45666235
Great, i'll try these
>>
File: OCOSMO-32-Inch.jpg (169 KB, 1500x1038) Image search: [Google]
OCOSMO-32-Inch.jpg
169 KB, 1500x1038
I got an Ocosmo 32" 720p tv on the cheap, but I can't seem to get the colors right. Hooking it up to my laptop, everything appears fine, but when I use my Chromecast or watch regular tv, everything looks much darker and maybe even lower quality then I should be getting.

How can I go about fixing it without paying someone to? None of the help online has been useful.
>>
Anyway to browse the content of a Facebook group without actually having a Facebook account?

Can't be assed to make one, and Family devices already logged into it via an App or whatever can't search for the group in question
>>
File: 1397398717525.jpg (49 KB, 427x418) Image search: [Google]
1397398717525.jpg
49 KB, 427x418
>>45666200
Doesn't really matter, I yes qbittorrent myself and kinda like it.
>>
>>45666217
Thanks, not exactly high tech but good enough for me.
>>
can someone give me the gist of chromecast and similar shit (android)?

i want to be able to display media to my tv but it seems like i see a lot of 'x app now supports chromecast!' posts around the internet. my phone, while old, just plugs into my tv and displays whatever is on my screen. thats what i want, but without plugging it in. why does it seem like chromecast seems to need per-app support? does it?
>>
>>45665748
I'm sure he wrote it
>>
>>45666323
Chromecast used to only run with supported apps, nowadays you can just cast your sceen directly.
>>
>>45666270
+1 for qbittorrent
>>
>>45658739
Can you guys give me tips on running Linux inside Windows from a flashdrive?
>>45665799
>>
>>45666390
transmission

>>45666393
use yumi, it'll let you make a live usb and if you want you can put a couple of different distros on there
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
>>
>>45666368
makes sense. maybe i'll pick myself up one for xmas. thanks.
>>
>>45666216
Ever try the man page? Never had issues in 3 years using a thin client as a "desktop".
>>
>>45666420
You misunderstand me. I don't want to "boot" anything. I want to run it inside Windows on a VM.
>>
>>45666445
ah, then what you need is a virtual machine software, and wincdemu to mount the iso
>>
My Gigabyte 280x makes shit like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvkwQY1c3po
but if i run the card on 100% fanspeed it doesnt happen same goes if i stick it in an pcie x8
>>
>>45666468
Is it possible for me to overwrite my hard drive or screw things up after DSL is running on the VM?
>>
Are there any tablet SoCs capable of playing 10bit Chinese cartoons without frame-drops or corruption?

What are the best tablet SoCs out there?
>>
>>45666531
nah m8, the entire point of a vm is to be able to fuck around with shit without worrying about doing any real damage
>>
>>45666553
That's what I thought. There were trolls in the other thread saying I could damage my main by running Linux in a VM.

Thanks for the helpful advice. You and Google are great troll filters.
>>
How do I merge multiple (10) .docx files into one document without copy and pasting?
>>
>>45666549
My TF300 can do it with a bit of stutter depending on the show; some shows are smooth, others not. Might be down to encoder settings, who knows. I figure the new Shield Tablet with the Tegra K1 can probably handle 10bit no problem. Best player is MXplayer; used to be Diceplayer but it went to shit at some point and got overtaken.
>>
>>45666607
That has a Tegra 3, right? I have shit luck with my current tablet (Sero 7 Pro) and it can't play it without shitting itself and desyncing.
>>
>>45666626
Yeah the TF300 is Tegra 3, and I still get stutter and sometimes desync like you described. But some shows are silky smooth. I think some encoders are just morons and use retarded settings that fuck with the mobile players; there's not much leeway for processing power on a tablet, unlike a desktop.
>>
>>45658739
i want to buy a good laptop for games, recordings and shit.
what's the best thing to buy with under $1,000 murrican dollars?
>lol, just buy specific parts and build it yourself, faggot
how?
>>
File: CPU test.jpg (767 KB, 3157x1029) Image search: [Google]
CPU test.jpg
767 KB, 3157x1029
Hey /g/, how come I can't seem to max out my CPU?
>>
>>45666549
Anyone have any opinions on octa-cores? I was looking at the Allwinner A80 and the new Mediatek MT8752 and figured that if it can't hardware decode 10bit, I should (hopefully) software decode that shit with 8 cores.
>>
I have z77 mobo. Can I have just a single ram dim in there or do I need at least two?
>>
File: 1415924786403.jpg (47 KB, 624x468) Image search: [Google]
1415924786403.jpg
47 KB, 624x468
>set computer to static ip outside the dhcp range (range is 192.168.0.64 to 250, static ip is 254
>router no longer recognizes what device it is, listed as 'unknown device'
>can't dmz the computer even if when typing in the ip manually because "entered ip address not found as a dhcp client and in the arp tale"
Any ideas? Do I have to have it in the dhcp range?
>>
File: stats.png (66 KB, 769x613) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
66 KB, 769x613
Is this acceptable in general?
>>
>>45666970
Why llano?
>>
>>45667002
I didn't build this PC. Is that a bad thing?
>>
>>45666970

If it does what you want it to do and you paid the correct price or less, yes it's acceptable.
>>
>>45667038
I only want it not to die on me for the next 2 years when I'm able to afford a change.
>>
>>45667016
It's just older, and a first gen APU, if it's fine for that's fine, but you could upgrade to AM3+ or FM2+ if you don't want a dead socket.
>>
>>45661043
3G/4G/Cellular masts.
>>
>>45667063
Probably gonna be hard since my country has been cutting down on all non-essential imports. Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>45667056

It should be fine if you take good care of it and the PSU isn't so bad it's dangerous.
>>
>>45667088
Taking good care of it would be blowing the dust off once a year and not be aretard with it in general? Any other precautions? I only started worrying about this last year so I'm not too knowledgeable about it.
>>
Right now I'm planning to buy a wireless PCI card, because I can't have a cable running from the router to my room. Is there an other solution to this? Like an external wireless receiver that then I'd connect to the PC with a UTP cable? Is that a thing?
>>
>>45667128

>blowing the dust off once a year and not be aretard with it in general?

pretty much.

Check your temps on a regular basis to make sure all's good inside. If you have to go into the case for whatever reason, take the proper precautions to get rid of static etc. If you wanna be super cautious you could change your thermal paste when you're getting all the dust out too.
>>
>>45667206

Powerline adapters.
>>
>>45667207
I never knew what the temperature is supposed to be so I just take >>45666970 as a reference of "ok". Is that really ok? Motherboard sometimes gets to 50C if I'm running a regular game or some other program. Thanks for your help by the way.
>>
>>45659154

You could probably PXE boot from a file stored there. It wouldnt be reliable though. Just throw it on the flash drive, 64GB is more than enough for the os an almost any program you'll ever want and you can then store your files online.

Youve basically reinvented the chromebook
>>
>>45667239

60C+ is a kinda high for an idle graphics card but if that's under load it's fine.

50C under load is fine for a mobo

Rest of the temps are pretty good & no problem Anon.
>>
>>45667295
>60C+ is a kinda high for an idle graphics card but if that's under load it's fine.
Shit, that's its idle temp. Should I be worried?
>>
So my new monitor from the cyber Monday sale landed today, so I shut down my computer, plugged everything back in, hit the power button and nothing happens.

I took my computer out to the hallways thinking it might just be a fuse problem, but nope, still nothing. So I took off my side panel to see if anything was loose, after this I tried that power button, and my fans whir around for a second or two, but then stop.

Does this mean my PSU is fucked? I don't have another PSU lying around to test this with, but at least if I know it's probably just the PSU I can rest easy knowing my wallet won't be too hurt.

Also the PSU and everything in my computer was bought brand new and it's overall no older than 6 months, I don't overlock shit or anything like that
>>
>>45659311

check ~/.pip if you have run
sudo pip

It can change the owner / perms of the directory blocking it.
I work on Openstack for a living and pip is the bane of our existance with its stupid settings and defaults.
>>
File: gx280.jpg (105 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
gx280.jpg
105 KB, 1000x1000
i have a pentium 4 laying around doing nothing

>2.2ghz
>2gb ram
>40gb hdd

what should i do with it?
i already dualboot with Debian on my main machine
>>
>>45667319

Depends how high it goes when gaming
>>
How the fuck do mpd/ncmpcpp work?
I cant get either to launch! ncmpcpp just shows up w/ no ui
and a shit ton of cpu.
I've looked it up and tried dicking around w/ various config to no luck.
>>
>>45667343
Once playing Shogun 2 at rather high settings it got around 72 C or something, so I panicked and have been playing relatively less graphics heavy games.
>>
>>45658739

i7-4790k or i5-4690k? Wanna play games like Civ5, GTA5, Eve Online, etc.
>>
>>45667374

Well that's pretty safe, you wanna start really worrying when it gets towards 90-100. Still, you should look at what's causing the high idle temps. Take a look at the airflow setup in your case also see if there's a shitload of dust in the GPU heatsink or something. If nothing helps then a 60C idle will suffice, it's not ideal but it'll do.
>>
>tfw you want to join anonamouse
>tfw you're too socially awkward and nervous to join the irc for an interview

>>45667342
>company has spare gx280
>try to set it up, golden flashing power button of doom
>crack it open
>every capacitor is popped like your mama's cherry
so much for a server...
>>
>>45667424
I'll make sure to double check next time I open it up for dusting, thanks a lot!
>>
>>45666704
go with lenovo and get either a yoga or a thinkpat t440

>>45667349
get a gui client for mpd, like sonata
>>
>>45667433
>so much for a server...
a pentium 4 would use way to much power for as server

i thought of using it as a home server for music 'n shit

Also, your bait is shit
>>
>>45665937

tree / > filesystem.txt

Probably better to do trees of seperate areas so not to be really slow.
E.g
Do a master for / weekly
Then a 7 daily/4 weekly/2 monthly of /home/documents or whatever.

Logrotate and cron are your friends here
>>
>>45667321
Have you tried turning it off and on again
>>
File: anon.png (119 KB, 1362x499) Image search: [Google]
anon.png
119 KB, 1362x499
>>45667433

Got a junk email?
I got invited through /lit/ a few years back and its served me well. Even got into BTN through it.
>>
>>45667577
[email protected]
I'm a member of two other mid tier trackers, both with very good ratios. I'll try not to fuck it up for you
>>
What even is the difference between the fractal R series and their Core series?
>>
>>45667577
Got a spare invite? [email protected]
>>
What 2TB drive would you guys recommend?
>>
>>45667786
>>45667759
>>45667577

and it begins...
Sorry about this anon
>>
Would an h81m-h motherboard be able to handle the 4690k without shitting out?

I originally bought it for the Pentium G3258.
>>
I need a large number of cute cat pictures for a project. . .

Like maybe 4K-10K. I'm not quite sure how to go about getting these pictures, any help?

Also interested in dogs and birds for the same project.
>>
>>45667863
Oh, and preferably no watermark either.
>>
File: mopimoth.gif (3 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
mopimoth.gif
3 KB, 300x237
I might should be asking on /lit/ but a while back I finished reading the metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. I'm curious if you guys know of anymore stories like that. It was pretty damn good.
>>
>>45667795
pls help
>>
>>45667577
>>45667759
Thanks loads anon, I won't disappoint. I've got a bunch of Ebooks I can hopfully upload myself.
>>
>>45667863
Write a script that downloads all the pictures from archived /b/caturday threads, go through them yourself and delete the unsuitable ones, and then find a program the finds and deletes duplicates. Or ask /an/.
>>
I just bought a sager np6678 with a SSD and HDD hard drives. I'm unable to play games through steam; when I try to the screen goes black and I have to hard shut down. Any potential solutions?
>>
>>45658739
Really stupid question

My HDD is not showing up alongside my SSD in the BIOS boot order. What do?

I did a bunch of tinkering over the past few months attempting to solve a few problems and said fuck it. Bought new hard drives and they end up having the same problem I've been trying to fix.

Updated BIOS did nothing.
>>
How can I symlink the Documents folder from my SSD to an HDD?
>>
>>45668188
>>45668188
right click, properties, location
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.