[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /g/ in ~30 minutes I will go offline to install arch got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: install_arch.png (58 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
install_arch.png
58 KB, 640x478
hello /g/
in ~30 minutes I will go offline to install arch
got a new ssd
I want to check the current plan with you

>installing arch from usb on to 512GB crucial mx100
use btrfs for the file system
create top level subvolume named @, the ID 5 one
then mount @ subvolume with mount flags
defaults, noatime, ssd, discard , ssd, autodefrag, compress=lzo, space_cache

create subvolumes inside @
/home /boot /var /tmp

install the arch in to this - pacstrap
finish the rest of the installation by the beginners guide
>>
>>45647857
>I booted in to to arch successfully

- create user and sudo and all with it
- install alsa
- install xorg stuff
- install xf86 inputs and video drivers
- install mesa

install i3, dmenu, termite

>DONE
Any objections?
>>
just install gentoo
>>
>>45649076

reiserfs for /tmp
>>
http://www.evolutionlinux.com/
>>
File: 1418755621.png (108 KB, 1043x664) Image search: [Google]
1418755621.png
108 KB, 1043x664
>>45649098
actually I much prefere helmuthdu
https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

and chunk of my installation steps I took right out of his script

Anyway, I want to do this one installation purely with all the stuff by myself
for the rest of them I will always use helmuthdu or antergos
>>
>>45649123
cool cool. sounds good.
>>
Installing Arch is like learning spanish in order to watch novelas.
>>
Manjaro has a graphical installer and you can enable AUR....
>>
>>45649486
Or you could install Ubuntu GNOME, enable multiverse repos and not need an AUR.
>>
>>45649148
learning about the system you use is useful if you want to fix errors.
>>
>>45649535
Very true anon. Sadly archfa/g/s won't like that kind of talk...for them it's either the Arch Way or the Wrong Way.
>>
>>45649563
But you're not really learning anything, are you?
>>
>>45649535
But Ubuntu GNOME still uses cancerous Upstart and it's practically impossible to remove Plymouth.
>>
>>45649705
Hmm. I don't have plymouth installed on arch with gnome 3 I remember that one from back in mu jewbuntu days.
>>
>>45649719
Even so, Debian Testing uses systemd sans Plymouth and outclasses Arch in everything except this 'AUR' thing. For what do you actually use it?
>>
>>45649076
I'm not going to spoonfeed you OP, but you need to do your homework with this. Some of those options and mount points are wrong.
>>
>>45649751
I like debian. I was on debian sid before Arch. I just use it for normal person shit. Nothing crazy.
>>
>>45649751
>outclasses Arch in everything except this 'AUR' thing
People really overrate this unsigned, barely maintained (if even), amateurishly coded collection of scripts.
>>
>>45649774
Care to give examples on what normal person shit is? In order to deem this AUR valuable enough to sacrifice a distro that has earned a reputation over 20 years of stability, one has to prove that it isn't merely an excuse for developers to be lazy.
>>
Just use Manjaro lol
>>
>>45649076
>>45649077
Jesus Christ, why do you tards always need to do so much planning to install Arch? I first did it with just reading the wiki on my phone during installation.
>>
>>45649829
>it isn't merely an excuse for developers to be lazy.
It's meant as a last resource thing to get binaries you want without the hassle of going to github and do the compiling yourself; certainly not an argument to fight off Debian but not completely useless neither.
>>
>>45649719
le jewbuntu xD arch for da win
>>
>>45649077
>i3
One object, it's shit.
>>
>>45649855
In that same sense, if Debian were to have the same package in its contrib repository if not its main, wouldn't that render Arch as a complete waste of time?
>>
>>45649887
Pretty much. Debian also have the possibility of using ubuntu ppas. Which actually means that it has more binaries than Arch.
>>
>>45649887
Indeed.
Pacman's pretty neat though, apt could do some performance and configurability improvements.
>>45649905
Not to mention they got package signing.
>>
Make sure to use grub instead of syslinux, syslinux has issues with btrfs
>>
>>45649919
Most people simply install aptitude.
>>
>>45649927
aptitude is a frontend for apt.
>>
>>45649932
And it works wonders.
>>
>>45649927
aptitude is awesome, but still slower than pacman, specially for searches. Also, the search syntax is needlessly complicated and searching by tag is cumbersome and not many people even know about it.
>>
>>45649941
Yes, but since it's using apt there's no performance increase by using aptitude
>>
>>45649955
I never noticed any real lack of performance.
>>
>>45649076
Antergos m80
>>
>>45649973
Try making a search with aptitude then do it with pacman.
The speed is similar if you use apt-cache search instead, but aptitude offers a lot of neat filters that pacman already has.
>>
>>45649999
It took 2 and a half seconds to update its cache then spat out a list of all programs it could find before I could blink. Apt-cache does not update the cache therefore one doesn't have to wait the 2 and a half seconds. Are you saying that pacman takes less time to update its cache and is more efficient? Still, I doubt it has an ncurses based interactive mode sort of like Synaptic.
>>
>>45650086
>It took 2 and a half seconds
That's what I'm talking about.
Looking at the pacman wiki, it appears I overestimated its search, it's less complete than aptitude. The search is similar in speed and features to apt-cache search.
>Still, I doubt it has an ncurses based interactive mode sort of like Synaptic.
Yeah, it doesn't.
>>
>audit pacman source in order to learn how to make apt run better
>contribution guidelines readme is labeled 'HACKING'
>>
>>45650310
Because that's what hacking means and that's a common practice to name these hacking. You're probably confusing the term with cracking.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
>>
>>45650331
Hacking has nothing to do with coding style though, neither the Hollywood conception of it nor the original (example: kernel hacker) conception of it.
>>
>>45650331
Name one other project whose contribution guidelines are labeled 'HACKING'.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.