[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are internet communities dying? almost everywhere I go is atrocious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: le reddit army.jpg (1 MB, 1834x2792) Image search: [Google]
le reddit army.jpg
1 MB, 1834x2792
Are internet communities dying? almost everywhere I go is atrocious - it's near impossible to have a serious discussion about technical matters without getting epic-trolled or just having really dumb vicious fanboys destroy any chance of rational discussion. Where do all the smart reasonable people hang out?
>>
>>45635284

Not Youtuber
>>
Completely serious here, try some of the more specialized subreddits.
>>
>>45635284
Youtube comment sections are the absolute worst standard for internet communities as a whole.

Places that are hard to access like inconvenient/outdated web forums still have good people. Really specific niches of interests generally do well too in most places.
>>
Dude it's always been like that.
>>
File: 1410555715055.jpg (78 KB, 496x496) Image search: [Google]
1410555715055.jpg
78 KB, 496x496
>nobody focuses on the important stuff, like respect for elders
>>
>>45635297
This. The typical reddit circlejerk bullshit is basically nonexistent in specialized subreddits
>>
The only Toys related forum I can stand is /toy/ here on this board. Maybe you have already found the best community.

Just remember Tripfags are a bunch of fucking shit and the reason these boards are best is because there is no drama over who is who.
>>
>>45635284
IRC is a great place for serious discussions and all kind of help
>>
Maybe there should be a link to a space of http://yourworldoftext.com/self-evident truths that is always patrolled so the epic trolling, vicious fanboys, and other degeneracy, is completely out of that space - at most, only on its borders.
>>
>>45635303
this
youtube comment section is literally the worst place on the internet. even worse than /b/ or reddit.
at least in those places you know what to expect and the people there all generally know what they are doing.
the youtube comment section is overrun by many different people of different ages and beliefs, and the clash is vile.
choose almost any video arbitrarily and i can almost garantee that the first few comments will always be about religion, racism, homophobia, calling the creator a retard, or whatever other atrocities you can come up with.
it is really just a cesspool of all of people pent up hate.

people are not meant to be able to share ideas without the consequences of doing so face to face.
>>
I wouldn't say so, just public communities are prone to retardation more so.

For me, the good ones are:

Sub-reddits
Some threads on here
Arma 3/ Battlelog which led to Xfire and Steam/Origin/Teamspeak chat groups
/k/
/out/
/diy/
/sci/
My google+ community (people with similar interests and likes etc.)
IRC channels

But it seems that with the widespread use ofthe internet, its really different tothe 90s/early 00s where it seemed much more innocent.

>that feel when yo uread the outernet books and go2outer.net was brilliant
;_;
>>
File: 1413418635553.jpg (29 KB, 267x140) Image search: [Google]
1413418635553.jpg
29 KB, 267x140
Wait, so the Reddit comments on Youtube are legit? I thought it was /b/ or tumblr or /pol/ doing that.
>>
>>45635598

At this point, I'd say it's almost impossible to know .
>>
>>45635598
Some are legit, the majority like Taylor Trilby are /b/tards
>>
>>45635505
that was Youtube a few years ago, nowadays it's mostly a hivemind
The google+ thing that ties it to your identity and the mechanism to push unpopular comments to the back have turned what once was a free cesspool, to a shitty hivemind.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>45635629
What am I looking at
>>
>>45635598
majority are from /b/ or /r/circlejerk
>>
>>45635598
Essentially >>45635612 but I think a lot of it stems from r/redditarmie and similar places.

It's like r/circlejerk but full of tryhards with no comedic taste. At least circlejerk was parody, this is straight up annoying bullshit.
>>
>>45635635

No idea, not the image I posted.
>>
>>45635635
Degeneracy
>>
>>45635652
How so?
>>
>>45635648
Post the correct one then
>>
>>45635657

Not him, but grown men talking like that with the middle one obviously being a furry does indeed = degeneracy.
>>
>>45635657
Weebs would be my guess
>>
>>45635681
How can you tell he's a furfag?
>>
When humans are social, they tend to do or say things in order to gain respect from their peers. The more broad the audience, the more bland the most liked things become. This is why niche forums have more unique and intelligent discussions, while forums with more general discussions like reddit are bland.

4chan is unique however by making people both 100% anonymous, and their posts unfiltered. So instead of people relying on their persona or getting imaginary points, you get unique opinions from all sorts of different backgrounds, making it both difficult to intelligently parse, and interesting to read.
>>
>>45635581

> G+

They have not shuttered that failure yet?
>>
>>45635728
Upboated :^)
>>
>>45635728
You're right. After so many years here, I can't fathom going on a standard message board regularly. Anonymity spoiled me and I don't think I'll ever go back to having a username. Sure, this place is pretty shitty most of the time but it's still better than other places where it's shitty ALL the time.
>>
>>45635750

Personally, I find G+ really quite decent. It's more open than Facebook, but only if you want it to be. The fact it ties inwiththe rest of my botnet works well, and it recommends me interesting shit from time to time that matches my interests. The only thing I truly hate is it's layout and editing accessibility, I still don't understand it fully and it's hard to keep track of what's private or not.
>>
I just block the comments. I don't want to read their bullshit.
>>
>>45635776
>>45635728

I would interject with the board.

I can't fathom going on /tv/, it's just 100% retardation.
>>
>>45635802
>for you
>if I took your x off, would you die
>it would be extremely painful

geez
>>
>>45635284

>Are internet communities dying?

No, they're actually growing stronger and stronger nowadays.

It's just that they're often filled with people that you don't like.
>>
I can imagine a future onion article
>"computer enthusiasts leave Internet and start socializing in real life after normal fags take over net. "
>>
>>45635828
for fuck's sake, if I mention the word rape there's bound to be someone who's gonna act like a retard about it
>>
>>45635861
Outside of here and a few other places, you can expect the PC brigade to come cracking down quicker thank you can say "triggered".
>>
File: 1410869687647.jpg (56 KB, 650x739) Image search: [Google]
1410869687647.jpg
56 KB, 650x739
>>45635598
It originates from subreddits such as this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditArmie

Any video posted on the frontpage will have comments (usually the fedora-type) by ironic reddit posters. It's really exhausting, mostly because I always feel the need to scroll down to the comment section on any type of website.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-fedora/

Some specialized subreddits are okay, you can definitely read better discussions and learn more stuff than on 4chan but I never post on reddit while I post daily on 4chan. I only started browsing reddit when I started watching Hotshotgg though since I was really into League at the time, this was like what 2010? There's too much circlejerk but it's a good content aggregator.

The smaller the community the better it usually is. That's why the best boards on 4chan are the small ones like /out/, /diy/, /vr/, hell even /jp/.
>>
>>45636030
/p/ is okay too, right?
>>
>>45636092
Don't know I never visit. Another board I found to be okay is /gd/, if you're into that sorta thing.
>>
>>45635505
>Watching youtube video of Chomsky talking about how the singularity is science fiction
>First comment, mr. nobody says: "Oh, yeah, Chomsky has some cute ideas, i wish he would study instead of speaking from his ass"
>The guy is the best professional to ask for a serious opinion on the matter but his ideas are "cute" and he is "uneducated on the subject".
>Mr. youtube commenter is more intelligent than chomsky.
>After him the comments where all the same, saying how Chomsky had one points but was mistaken, while repeating things that the guy from google, or kurzweil, or any of the other shills has said. He literally is listening to big businessman who want to overlook the problems that Chomsky is presenting in order to keep selling computers and their actions being regarded as ''the natural way of humans'' so as to make big changes.
>Mfw no one in youtube can follow this chain of things
>Mfw everybody in the world is allowed a vote but at the same time they are allowed to remain ignorant
>Mfw callings of ignorance are answered with "thats your opinion man!"
>>
They did a study that showed like most people on the Internet troll. I think about 40% for responders said they did it for the LOLz
>>
>>45636168
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

The internet allows for everyone to have an opinion, as evidenced by the fact that I'm posting this right now, and most people have uneducated opinions so now the internet is overflowing with ignorant comments.
>>
>>45636179

I was trolling before most people even knew what the internet was.
>>
well thanks for the thread guys

lots of interesting posts but I still don't know where to spend time
>>
>>45635385
Sounds like storytime! What nightmare toy forums did you check out.?
>>
>>45638108
Small forums based around specific interests with active chatrooms are probably your best bet in this day and age.
>>
>>45638108
>>45639201
did not mean to quote you but cool
>>
>>45635284
Youtube has always been terrible.
>>
I would say a majority of the forums are filled with autism. It's the closed off groups that are the good ones.

Basically cool people hang out with other cool people.
>>
>>45635714
>:3
>>
>>45635284
>all those people taking the bait
My god. It's like salmon season.
>>
>>45635284
Unfortunately, most serious technical discussions happen on private invite only sites now and it can be a pain to get an invite if you aren't working in SF or SV. Everyone basically moved to private sites after Hacker News turned to complete shit.
>>
What happened to something awful?
>>
>>45639842
go to bed grandpa
>>
>>45635297
>>45635332
At least now we know where the apple shills came from.
>>
>>45636168
>Chomsky
>knowledgeable about technology

I can't tell if you're joking or you just guzzle down anything Chomsky tells you without critical thought.
>>
>>45635284
Did you just seriously ask whether "internet communities" are dying because youtube comments are bad? Really?
>>
>>45639917
what happened?
>>
Follow the right people at twitter. Some of them are kind of cool and really try to get into a debate but the platform itself is not ver fond of long conversations
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.