[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux UI Regression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: centos old.png (432 KB, 801x600) Image search: [Google]
centos old.png
432 KB, 801x600
Anyone remember when Linux used to have a decent, fully-featured UI, complete with window snapping, edge-reaching window control controls, and all of the functionality Windows had and more? Not to mention a total lack of screen tearing which is now the norm with everything except for Nvidia GPUs. What the fuck happened? Were tablets and shit so fucking important to the devs that we just had to transition to a horrible hybrid UI that NOBODY FUCKING USES ON AN ACTUAL TOUCH DEVICE? I'm finally jumping ship after six years on Linux because of this nonsense. I'll keep a low-powered Linux PC around for the odd task but I'm not going to deal with these constant regressions anymore. Linux truly is a server and workstation OS now. The only people who use Linux on their desktop anymore are NEETs with no jobs and teenagers who have nothing better to do and treat it like a hobby. RIP, my once-great OS.
>>
Blame GNOME. Fortunately you don't have to install it. You can use KDE. It's not perfect either, but it's a lot better than GNOME. At least it isn't designed for tablets.
>>
File: vomiting.jpg (8 KB, 170x173) Image search: [Google]
vomiting.jpg
8 KB, 170x173
>>45573587
>KDE
>>
>>45573587
>At least it isn't designed for tablets.
That is because it has no design at all.
>>
>>45573566
what about
>Mate
>Gnome3 in OldSchool Mode?
>>
>>45573566
Agreed
>>
>>45573566
Cinnamon, mate, kde etc, etc.
I find it hard to believe you've actually been using linux for 6 years, because then you'd know things have just been getting better.
>>
>>45573606
They're unfortunately both shit. MATE is buggy as hell and major features simply don't fucking work or crash the whole UI and require a restart (yes, on every major distro--these are upstream problems) and Gnome 3 is a hopeless mockery of Gnome 2's former glory.

>>45573618
You're full of it, man. What has gotten better? I'll answer for you: hardware support. That's it. If your hardware supported Linux 6 years ago, the overall experience was ten times better than what it is now. And if your hardware was supported, you had FULL support in a lot of cases, not just half-assed, barely-working bullshit support. They can't even get the most popular Intel IGPs working without major, unavoidable screen tearing which requires hacky workarounds that only work for "most" situations.
>inb4 works4me faggots
>>
>>45573566
>Anyone remember when Linux used to have a decent, fully-featured UI, complete with window snapping, edge-reaching window control controls, and all of the functionality Windows had and more?
If you're talking about Gnome2, and you are if you're talking about your screenshot, you can just install MATE. MATE is Gnome2.
or you could use KDE which has all those functions and more
>Not to mention a total lack of screen tearing which is now the norm with everything except for Nvidia GPUs.
Actually Gnome2 always had screen tearing issues unless you replaced its compositor with somehting else
Just use MATE with compton
>The only people who use Linux on their desktop anymore are NEETs with no jobs and teenagers who have nothing better to do and treat it like a hobby. RIP, my once-great OS.
Chill out. If you spent more time researching and less time whining you'd have found the MATE project earlier
>>
>>45573631
gnome 2 + compiz was GOAT and there's no going back. see also:
>>45573648

>hurr u didnt know about dis durr im so superior hurr
retard
>>
File: Screenshot.png (572 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
572 KB, 1600x900
>>45573631
>They're unfortunately both shit. MATE is buggy as hell and major features simply don't fucking work or crash the whole UI and require a restart (yes, on every major distro--these are upstream problems)
Works4me
You're doing something wrong and blaming it on the system.
>>
Cinnamon has all the features you miss.
>>
>>45573674
>tries to help, offers solutions based on screenshot
>gets shit for it
You're not good at this conversation thing, are you? Autism, perhaps? Don't worry, I'll guide you through this.
The proper response to that comment would've been to address the solutions brought up (MATE, KDE, compton), by either trying them out or pointing out the issues you had with them if you already tried them and they didn't work for some reason.
>>
>>45573631
>MATE is buggy as hell and major features simply don't fucking work or crash the whole UI and require a restart

Works perfectly for me save for a few minor hickups that seem to be fixed now anyway.
>>
>>45573701
>lol stop whining dummy, you're wrong here's why DUH you're an idiot for not knowing about this OBVIOUS SOLUTION
>this has already been discussed and your condescending ass just wants attention and validation of your unnecessarily huge ego
fuck off retard
you're part of why Linux is shit now too
>works4me
>rtfm!
>it's a bug not a feature
>the USER is the problem!!
lol
>>
>>45573631
>inb4 works4me faggots

Sounds to me like you're just assmad you're too dumb to set up your system properly. I've been using Linux desktop for years without major problems.
>>
>>45573710
Just get linux mint, it's popular because it works out of the box.
>>
>>45573678
has a million issues anon
>drag window to top of screen to maximize it
>occasionally the overlay which signifies the expansion will appear and take over entire display and won't disappear, preventing you from clicking anything underneath it and forcing you to try stupid workarounds to get it to disappear
that's a feature I use 24-7 and it's STILL a fucking bug in the latest build
absolutely mad
>>
>>45573722
w-w-w-works for me! d-d-d-dummy!
>without major problems
>major
yeah
here's the situation
1) this is a no true scotsman fallacy so anything I say will probably fall under "minor" problems by your definition
2) you're a fucking pleb and simply don't care about details and functionality, aka my standards are more stringent than yours
3) you're probably a NEET, a teenager, or a college student, as I said above, so naturally things apply to you differently (you have more free time and/or are a loser who can tinker or deal with less functionality for no real benefit)
>>
>>45573710
>tries to help even more
>still gets shit for it
I see your autism is going on a rampage right now
Don't worry, I'll give you one more chance to redeem yourself. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you after this so use this opportunity wisely. Try to calm down, take a breath of fresh air, and then do the following:
Point out, specifically, what issues you had with MATE, and what you were doing when that happened. Also your distro, if it's up to date, and, if needed, what release version (example: if you installed Debian, also specify if it's Testing or Stable, etc)
If we can work together maybe we can uncover some bug I didn't know I had myself neither.

>the USER is the problem!!
The user is very much the problem if you're not specific about what issue you're having and just whine and yell about it. So, work with me and tell me what's wrong. One chance is all I'll give you.
>>
>>45573729
Try using compton, it's what I'm using now and never had any problems with drag to maximize.
I didn't even bother with MATE's built in compositor.
Besides that, what's another of those "million" issues?
>>
>>45573750
>types an essay in response to being called on his bullshit
>calls someone else autistic
lol wow. Here's a quick tip, kid: you're a fucking idiot. Try not being a condescending cunt who actually doesn't know shit while acting like a know-it-all and you might get more respect.

You might be a genuine retard
>inb4 same shit "hur i tried 2 help u durr autist.."
>>
>>45573746
>w-w-w-works for me! d-d-d-dummy!

Well yeah, if you declare something to be total shit it's kinda implied nobody had any luck with it, which is super wrong.

> 1) this is a no true scotsman fallacy so anything I say will probably fall under "minor" problems by your definition

My only problems were with the proprietary Nvidia blob, I managed to find a workaround but this is not the fault of the DE developers.

> (you have more free time and/or are a loser who can tinker or deal with less functionality for no real benefit)

No I'm just not fucking retarded like you.
>>
>>45573566
everything is regressing, not just linux. degenerate hipsters calling themselves designers despite being talentless could not even design something functional and productive anymore.
>>
>>45573787
Having criticisms of something doesn't imply that "nobody had any luck with it", you mental midget. Why are you trying to debate when you're so bad at logic? This is almost cringeworthy to behold. See also: >>45573746
>>
Gnome is terrible as you said, KDE is even worse and all the other DEs are trying a wrongly understood minimalism.
>>
>>45573812

I see you're still awfully mad that other people are mentally capable of using Linux but you're not. It's ok you'll get it some day. Maybe you should have finished high school after all huh?
>>
>>45573775
Sorry anon, I told you you would only have one chance. If there's something I learned from dealing with people with autistic tendencies on the internet, that would be that sometimes there just isn't a simple way to make them cooperate.
You'll have to work on your problem on your own or just use something other than GNU/Linux.
You can always use Windows or OSX if so you desire, they seem to be more your speed since they offer business versions which come with paid customer support people who are already used to yelling and autism rampages instead of people who are willing to be cooperative to solve your issue.
I hope you have a nice life.
>>
>>45573837
Oh, look, he's back to that. That's all you can do--repeat yourself because you've gotten wrecked over and over. You're mentally-deficient and an asshat to boot. What's it like having such a huge ego despite having such a hilariously low IQ? You're a "that guy". I actually feel a little sorry for you, because despite whatever goes wrong for me on a daily basis, at least I'm not you.
>>
>>45573849
>irony
Please, type another essay and bump the thread one more time while trying to prove how superior you are
>b-but I'm saging...!
>autist autist autist autist autist autist autist autist!
>>
>>45573566
>used to have
It still does with xfce.
>>
>>45573870
You seem to be awfully mad about this specific type of situation that involves people trying to help you. You even show signs of strong self delusion by actually thinking I care about the bump state of the thread.
I'm no psychiatrist, but if I was the person responsible for you (and I am indeed suggesting your mother should be the one taking care of this issue, which shouldn't be difficult since you probably still live with her and you'll be able to communicate with her today when she's back from work) I'd take you to one to work on these severe communication issues you're having until they're sure you're, at the minimum, able to properly and efficiently communicate your issues to other people and be able to communicate with strangers without going on autistic rampages.
Trust me on this, your OS and desktop environment of choice are the least of your concerns here.
>>
>>45573566
Muh Pantheon. Why haven't you joined the elementary os master race? It. Just. Werks.
>>
>>45573928
>you're mad
>I'm helping you!
>autist!
>why didn't you just do [thing already mentioned, addressed, and dismissed above]?! You must be stupid. Stop whining.

hahaha
Please, type another essay and bump the thread one more time while trying to prove how superior you are
>>
>>45573928
Not the guy you're responding to, but you've got issues, dude...
>>
>>45573566
>Anyone remember when Linux used to have a decent, fully-featured UI, complete with window snapping, edge-reaching window control controls, and all of the functionality Windows had and more?
I also remember changing vm.swappiness to 0, reducing menu delay in conf files, system lockups because the theme system was thrashing the disk, esound, bonobo, metacity, throwing metacity out the window to install fucking compiz, mono, gsettings, language bindings that didn't use GIR and were always out of date, libglade, actually needing to run Xorg -configure because kernel mode setting didn't exist, and the other raft of shit people like to forget when they convince themselves that GNOME 2 was the greatest thing since LaTeX.

And that's just shit that was around in the 2.4 days.

>Were tablets and shit so fucking important to the devs that we just had to transition to a horrible hybrid UI that NOBODY FUCKING USES ON AN ACTUAL TOUCH DEVICE?
GNOME supports touch devices. Desktop is still the primary platform. Unless you somehow forgot that for more than a year you needed to use a keyboard just to make the shut down button appear.
>>
>>45573954
>>why didn't you just do [thing already mentioned, addressed, and dismissed above]?! You must be stupid. Stop whining.
First of all, if this was an attempt to make fun of me proposing a solution to MATE issues, then I'd say you didn't even read my comment since I didn't propose any. UNLESS you're talking about people proposing you go to a psychiatrist immediately, to which i highly recommend you do.
Second.
>thing already mentioned, addressed, and dismissed above
You haven't brought up a SINGLE issue related to the MATE desktop environment in the entire thread. I read the entire thread.
I found exactly zero mentions of these so called severe, UI crashing issues you're talking about, except in a comment not made by you, mind you, >>45573729, to which another anon suggested him a solution.
I wouldn't blame it on you, though. This chaotic episode of autistic cholera has probably impeded you from mentioning the issue you're so desperately trying to communicate, since it's evident you're trying to because you though you already did.
You've touched my heart, made me feel pity for you. I changed my mind. I'll give you one more chance to mention any issue at all you've had with MATE, to which we can probably work out together.
>>
I've always just used XFCE. Is there a reason why it's hardly being mentioned in this thread? IF you need a DE, it has everything you need, without the bloat of KDE, and actually functions unlike Unit/GNOME
>>
If I'm new to Linux and want to start ricing, what's a good combo to use?
>>
>>45573566
Enlightenment does not have this problem.
It has lots and lots of other problems, but this isn't one of them.
>>
File: ss5.png (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss5.png
408 KB, 1920x1080
>>45573591
>>
>>45573631

Perhaps your system is just broken? Considered that?

I have no screen tearing on ANY of my machines and I have 3. Nor do I have any issues with crashing at all.
>>
>>45573618

no, no, no, no. I've use Linux since the 90's and yes, right now things are going backwards.
>>
>>45574598
>not using lxde
>>
File: 1403647087389.jpg (25 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
1403647087389.jpg
25 KB, 398x500
>>45574706
bretty gud
>>
>>45573591
>I don't know how to change the default theme.
>>
Just use a tiling wm like i3

I used to be pissed off too but now I'm happy. I know this shit won't get axed
>>
Cinnamon and MATE boyo.
>>
>>45574598
Isn't xfce dead though?
>>
>>45574789
Hey OP. Did you get too buttblasted to stay with me on the conversation here? :) >>45574116
>>
>>45575270
no?
>>
>>45575282
The last release was 2012 bro
>>
>>45573566
Just use xmonad, problem solved.

Also, it's not like the situation is any better elsewhere - all the OSes are moving to kiddie touchscreen shit.

Just look at the disaster that was Windows 8 and tell me you seriously prefer that.
>>
>>45574706
Not bad at all. A full featured DE with taskbars and crap isn't my taste, but I could use that without wanting to kill myself (that's how I feel whenever I use GNOME 3).
>>
File: 1416357306472.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1416357306472.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>45573566
Gnome is Linux?

TGEN WHAT AM I USING? I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE?!?!??!?!11

WAOOHHAHHAOHAHOO.
>>
>>45575301
Xubuntu 14.04 LTS is good until 2019 :^)
>>
>>45575301
Is there anything they needed to release since then?
>>
>2015-1
>not using dwm
>>
>>45575340
Tiling/snapping is shit and unconfigurable
>>
>>45575366
Why with a workspace switcher right there would you ever need to tile?
>>
>>45575394
God forbid that I want to look at two windows at once
>>
>>45575410
Why would you want to do that? Each window would just be small and unreadable.
>>
>>45575431
>>
>>45575474
Now try reading the one next to it and under it at the same time.
>>
>>45574706
i came. jesus christ is that sexy. have you tried the caledonia theme suite for KDE?
>>
>>45575410
Then use a tiling wm like a normal person.
>>
>>45575541
Fuck you, Archfag.
>>
>>45573952
Elementary is based on Ubuntu, which is patched to fuck for their Unity disaster. No, thanks.
>>
>>45575340
Yeah, they need to fix their bullshit compositor.
>>
>>45575558
>use a hammer when you need to hammer in a nail instead of your smartphone
>"hurr fuck off autist"
If you refuse to use a better tool for the job, you're literally stupid.
>>
>>45575627
>compositing
>>
>>45575653
>best tool for the job
>reads 'Archfag' as 'autist'
Fuck off, Archfag.
>>
>>45575653
>using a twm
>not just making your own tiling scripts for when you need
>>
Gnome 3 + tweak tool >>>>> everything
period
>>
>>45575606
Whats a gud os not based on ubuntu? OpenSUSE?
>>
>>45575709
How does it compare to jewnity
>>
>>45575709
>installing a DE that needs extensions to be usable
No thanks.
>>
Gnome 3 was and still is a disaster. I never have seen anyone use it on a tablet out side of gnome devs.

Mate is nice but still needs a lot of work and gtk 3 support.

Cinnamon has been nothing but buggy for me. Tried it on three different computers. Last time I tried it, it had one of my cores maxed out at 100%.

KDE is kde. Last good kde was 3.x stage. Way to out dated now and the lack of decent qt apps is sad.

Xfce development is slower than a snail.

Only one I use now is lxde.
>>
>>45575712
Samefag, I'm asking because I'm new as shit to linux I've only ever fugged around with ubuntu, linux mint, and eos (so yeah all ubuntu I guess)
>>
>>45575727
>Xfce development is slower than a snail.

I am really tired of this meme

They commit almost daily, you don't get new updates because there isn't much to update
>>
Windows is free (I download whatever I want with zero fucks given) so anyone not able to use Linux to their satisfaction should abandon it and go back to Windows and stay there.

Users don't contribute anything to the OS either way so there is no macro-impact if you use Windows or Linux. It just doesn't matter.

I get along fine with stable, zero-bleeding edge distros and need zero fancy GUI features.

If you want a refined Unix-like OS buy a Mac.
>>
>>45575756
That and it doesn't really need changes. As long as you have the command line a minimal UI is all that's necessary.
>>
>>45575757
get a load of this guy
>>
File: rh8start.png (133 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rh8start.png
133 KB, 1024x768
I feel ya OP, don't listen to these autist faggots

>tfw no more that sweet warm UI in OP's pic
>>
>>45575727
>Mate is nice but still needs a lot of work and gtk 3 support.
Conflicts with
>Only one I use now is lxde.
lxde has no gtk3 support and will never have it, at least MATE is commited to start supporting it in the future.
>>
>>45575757
Ain't that right, Windows is absolutely perfect for computing efficiently using bash- oh wait...
>>
>>45575723
Tweak tool isn't an extension, is basically the "advanced settings" option of Gnome 3.
>>
>>45575789
OP's pic is just gnome2 you retard. I'm using it RIGHT NOW. I can install an old theme and it'll look exactly like OP's pic
>>
>>45575816

yeah and I can install RH9, you missed the point
>>
>>45573566
Stop using gnome.

There. Done.
>>
Gnome 2/Mate looks like fucking trash.

It's an even bigger disaster nowadays with 16:9 monitors being the standard.

The only thing worse than Mate is default KDE
>>
>>45575861
>16:9 monitors being the standard
That is the cancer.
>>
>>45575843
>le strawman face
I'm not using an old version of linux with gnome2, I'm using a maintained fork of gnome2 and can make it look and work just like the old days while also using modern software
>>
>>45575808
You don't need a GUI to use bash and you can keep a Linux or BSD install in a VM for anything you might want the them for. You don't need the command line much in Windows for a desktop.

People act as if you need to "choose" an OS when any modern PC can host all the OS versions you might want.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Use Windows for vidya and gayming. Use Unix-like OS in VMs for whatever dampens your vagoo. You have both available without effort at the same time.
>>
>>45575889
>maintained fork of gnome2

where can I get one?
>>
>>45573566
Well said mate.
>>
How about LXQT?
>>
>>45575928
http://mate-desktop.org/
If on Debian Testing
apt-get install mate-desktop

If you want an ubuntu derivate with mate out of the box
https://ubuntu-mate.org/
>>
>>45573678
He is not doing something wrong you're just a newfag who knows nothing about optimized software, you used to eat shit and take it for granted.
>>
>>45575926
But you can't manage files on a Windows machine from a Linux VM.
>>
>>45574706
Is that KDE5 already? Otherwise, what themes / icon packs are being used there? I'd switch immediately from XFCE if I knew =3=
>>
>>45575993
Read the console nigger
>>
>>45575978
>ad hominem
Ignoring the bait, how exactly is he not doing anything wrong if it works for me and the rest of the world running Debian Testing but it doesn't work for him?
>>
>>45573566

>m-muh secrit club
>>
>>45575977

thanks
>>
>>45574706
mein neger!
>>
>>45574706
Is it possible in kde(4 or 5 don't matter) to make:
1. Transparent panel.
2. Application menu inside title bar on mouseover like in late unity.
3. Align window title anywhere but center.
>>
>>45575366
Install compiz and replace the default compositor. That way you solve screen tearing and you get plenty of snapping.
>Inb4 compiz bloat blah blah blah
I have a recent graphics card so compiz is actually really fast.
>>
>>45576096
>recent graphics

need to have recent graphics just to use desktop

lol
>>
File: 1403536395287.jpg (100 KB, 625x501) Image search: [Google]
1403536395287.jpg
100 KB, 625x501
>>45574706
Why do you chose opensuse over debian?
>>
>>45573631

What are you talking about? Several of MATE's worst UX bugs are inherited from GNOME 2. GNOME 2 was crap in many ways, it's time to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

And metacity *never* did window snapping, so I don't know why you mentioned that.
>>
>>45574706
całkiem w czoko to wygląda anonie
>>
>>45576121
fuck you
>>
>>45576092
>1. Transparent panel.
yes
>2. Application menu inside title bar on mouseover like in late unity.
no. I like the global menubar idea
>3. Align window title anywhere but center.
Yes. Depends on theme
>>
>>45576112
Nothing worse than windows 8 memory wise.
And combined with xfce the memory usage isn't that big, about 153MB, still less than GNOME or KDE.
>>
>>45575811
I know, but GNOME 3 is terrible if you don't install any extensions like the one to hide the obnoxious top bar, for example.
>>
XFCE and LXDE for the classic no-bullshit desktop experience.
Tiling window managers for the elite among us.
>>
>>45575727

>I never have seen anyone use it on a tablet out side of gnome devs.

Oh yeah, which GNOME developer did you see using GNOME on a tablet? GNOME is unusable on a tablet, because it's not designed primarily for tablets. It's designed primarily for laptops and desktops, like it has always been. Have you tried using the GNOME OSK? You get an OK experience on a touch-screen laptop, but that's about it so far.
>>
>>45576175
>Tiling window managers for the elite among us.

Be careful with the memes because some people actually take it seriously
>>
File: adorable.png (5 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
adorable.png
5 KB, 300x100
>>45573566

> ITT Microsoft fan OP detected.
>>
>>45576178
So was the whole idea to make it better for touchscreen laptops? I mean there was SOME interest in making it a more tablet-ish experience. Just look at the fucking lock screen that forces you to PULL IT UP before you can input your password to unblock
>>
>>45576165

You consider the presence of the panel to be obnoxious or render GNOME unusable? Extensions are a powerful feature, you can adapt GNOME to your needs without placing the maintenance burden upstream and leaving core gnome-shell as a straight-forward and simple environment that stays out of my way.
>>
File: a0PbAnX_700b.jpg (39 KB, 569x547) Image search: [Google]
a0PbAnX_700b.jpg
39 KB, 569x547
>>45576146
Why do you hate debian?
>>
File: JOEY.jpg (6 KB, 170x188) Image search: [Google]
JOEY.jpg
6 KB, 170x188
>>45576183
Newfags?
>>
>>45576214
>You consider the presence of the panel to be obnoxious or render GNOME unusable?
Yes.

I know that I could probably go through all the trouble and find extensions to make the thing fit my preferences, but that's just way too much trouble.
>>
>>45576210

>Just look at the fucking lock screen that forces you to PULL IT UP before you can input your password to unblock

Try pressing enter or just typing your password next time. The intent of GNOME is clearly to fit the needs of the hardware it's likely to be installed on, which nowadays means hi-dpi support and workable touchscreen support.
>>
>>45576218
Debian is maintained by SJW
>>
>>45576153
Thank you. And if I want to stick with a specific theme but it does not have window titles aligned to the left, for example, is there no way to change it? That sucks...
Yeah, global menu is great but not so much when you have more than one windows open and not maximized you have to move your pointer first to the window you want to make active and then to the global menu position.
>>
>>45576238

Please don't try to speak for everyone with your strange definitions of "unusable".

Extensions are not hard to find; they're all on gnome.org. Many computer users, yourself included I imagine, do just fine with finding extensions to make your web browser fit your needs.
>>
>>45576249

Now you are just being a twat.
>>
>>45576210
>Just look at the fucking lock screen that forces you to PULL IT UP before you can input your password to unblock
Typing your password brings it up. At least attempt to verify the shit you are peddling.
>>
>>45576247
>Try pressing enter or just typing your password next time.
Doesn't excuse the tablet/phonish pull up thing, and that's just one example, there's also the big icons, big titlebars
>inb4 saves up vertical space because integrates menubars
yeah it does NOW but it started with big titlebars without an integrated menubar, and even the integrated menubar is a bit unnecessarily big, the fact that you have to install extensions to have a taskbar and the obvious focus there is you NOT minimizing a window, etc etc etc
If it adapted to the hardware it wouldn't do things that seem more comfortable in a touchscreen laptop or tablet.
>>
>>45576249
What is SJW, please explain. And i heard that opensuse uses a lot of proprietary software too.
>>
>>45576273
>Please don't try to speak for everyone with your strange definitions of "unusable".
I never did. I think huge panels that never go away and take up space are goddamn obnoxious and I don't know how people stand them.

>Extensions are not hard to find; they're all on gnome.org.
Too much trouble. As for web browsers, you don't have a choice. They are all terrible out of the box.
>>
Unity exists so you won't hear any complaints from me.
>>
ITT: retards arguing about DE, which are a fucking matter of taste. What's here to discuss?
>>
>>45576267
>if I want to stick with a specific theme but it does not have window titles aligned to the left, for example, is there no way to change it? That sucks...
Not an easy way but you could probably hack the theme file to do it, it's probably just an XML shit with a property like align=left or something
>Yeah, global menu is great but not so much when you have more than one windows open and not maximized you have to move your pointer first to the window you want to make active and then to the global menu position.
I never though of that, you're right
An improvement would be enabling global menubar ONLY for the maximized window. that'd be neat
>>
>>45576291

Big click surfaces are more comfortable for both touch-based input and pointer-based input. Big icons != for touchscreens. See Fitts' Law.

Yes, the design is based around no minimizing, rather it's based around efficient workspace usage. Which tablet does that again? I think you're confusing things you don't like for things designed for tablets.
>>
>>45576301
>Impliying there are DEs good out of the box
>>
>>45576321

>An improvement would be enabling global menubar ONLY for the maximized window. that'd be neat
Isn't that how it works in Jewnity
>>
>>45576301

>GNOME 3 is terrible if you don't install any extensions

Speak for yourself.

>They are all terrible out of the box.

Again, speak for yourself.
>>
>>45576355
You can just install a WM.

>>45576362
I am speaking for myself. Shouldn't that be abundantly clear?
>>
>>45575727
>Way to out dated now
KF5 is fixing that.
>and the lack of decent qt apps is sad.
Nope, nope. KDE applications are the best. Dolphin is the best Linux FM ever.
>>45575972
It is almost there, anon. Soon it will be usable.
>>
>>45576338
>Big click surfaces are more comfortable for both touch-based input and pointer-based input
They're unnecessary for mice because you can just use the alt key. Not to mention they waste more space. So they fit right when you don't have a choice but to manually grab the titlebar (when you have a tablet) but when you have the choice to use alt, most desktops prefer to keep them small to maximize space (see every desktop ever except for gnome)
same applies for big icons
>Yes, the design is based around no minimizing. Which tablet does that again?
All of them? I never saw an Android tablet with an always-visible taskbar
>I think you're confusing things you don't like for things designed for tablets.
Are you actually offended or something now? lol
I don't mind gnome3, I simply don't use it. I'm arguing because the design choices puzzle me and find them more adequate for tablets or touchscreen latops.
I'm sorry you felt I was offending your precious interface
>>
>>45576388
>Nope, nope. KDE applications are the best. Dolphin is the best Linux FM ever.

Indeed, I'm not so fond of the whole package but individual KDE programs are top notch
>>
>>45576383

No, not at all. People love to speak authoritatively for everybody. This is /g/.
>>
>>45576405
Dolphin would be perfect if it opened a little faster. Otherwise pcmanfm for me. KDE does have other top notch applications though. Soundkonverter is something I've used a lot.
>>
>>45576356
Even Apple suffers from the same problem; a change like this would put Unity even above Mac
>>
>>45576397

>They're unnecessary for mice because you can just use the alt key.

"I don't understand usability."

>most desktops prefer to keep them small to maximize space

GNOME maximizes space by careful UI design and modern UI widgets, like GtkHeaderBar. Compare the space used by GNOME 2 applications, to the space used by the corresponding GNOME 3 applications.

>Yes, the design is based around no minimizing. Which tablet does that again?

Why did you edit what I said to change the entire purpose of the sentence, and then respond to it?

Why are you so intent on spreading your misconceptions and half-truths? I see very little solid arguments.
>>
>>45576356
Late Unity DE has a perfect way to handle application menu. You can choose whether to show application menu in top panel for not maximized windows or not. You also can have application menu integrated in window title bar and only be shown on mouseover. I think it is the best way to go around application menu because it saves me additional 24px of vertical space when windows maximized or not, but of course it is only my opinion, also it is the only feature I like about unity.
>>
>>45576450
>this entire post
Now I know you're just being retarded or trolling. Oh well.
>>
I don't get all the gnome 3 hate
>>
>>45575280

not op. (nor a robot)
>>
>>45576464
That's fucking fantastic. I'd use Unity if it was available outside of Ubuntu and if it wasn't so buggy.
Maybe when it switches to qt5
>>
>>45576445
>Even Apple
>Even
But everything good about mac os interface is stolen from either gnome or unity. Look at global menu or their "new" titlebars.
>>
File: 1403612131004.jpg (25 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1403612131004.jpg
25 KB, 480x720
>>45576501
>Maybe when it switches to qt5
Unity 8 is qt, too bad it has completely different interface targeted mostly(only) for touch-devices...
>>
>>45576511
I'm not a macfag in any way.
But I don't think Apple stole those thing from GNOME or Unity. Just look at their GUI of early OSX versions.
>>
>>45576511
I don't get what your point is. We're talking about improving the interface, doesn't matter where it came from.
>>
>>45576543
Yeah I think OSX did the global menubar before. I don't know what the other guy is saying.
>>
>>45576530
It looks the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbgzoTz3UY
Are you referring to something else?
>>
>>45576511
> But everything good about mac os interface is stolen from either gnome or unity.
100% true, just don't worry about those 10 years of OS X releases before GNOME 3.
>>
>>45576570
You watched the video until the end?
>>
I don't know what Ubuntu was using before unity but that shit was some good shit
Gnome 2 ?
>>
>>45576609
Yeah, it was gnome 2.
>>
>>45573618
Don't forget XFCE
>>
>>45576588
N-no
Damn I'm dumb
I though they were going to port the old Unity over to qt5, not make something entirely different
>>
>>45576609
Try this: http://ubuntu-mate.org/
>>
>>45576622
XFCE is dead, at least development is in a deep stagnation state for last 2 years.
>>
>>45573566
what are you even on about?

all those things are still things

hell, even your sshot, gnome2, has a maintained fork available (MATE), which you can use right now
>>
>>45574802
>your lxde a shit
>>
>>45576685
>repeating bullshit
sasuga 4chan
>>
>>45573808
>everything is regressing, not just linux.
this

>touch
>cloud
>tablets (the modern sense)
>HD (a clever way to make 15 year old resolutions acceptable again)
>software and os's becoming more locked down
>everything wanting you to "sign up" or "log in" or "subscribe" or whatever
>DRM getting more and more pervasive
and so on
>>
>>45575977
2nd for Ubuntu MATE. Looks better than Mint MATE imo.
>>
>>45576121
That image should have an autism [Trigger Warning]
>>
File: 1390877493708.jpg (101 KB, 464x665) Image search: [Google]
1390877493708.jpg
101 KB, 464x665
>>45573710
>works4me
>rtfm
>the USER is the problem
>implying those arent perfectly justified and useful responses

>lol
>>
>>45576685
It's reached near perfection for its purposes. Just use another compositor (like compton) and I have no complaints.
>>
>>45576121
is that even a human cutting that?

how can a human not be naturally compelled to cut along those lines?

i don't understand

someone hold me
>>
>>45576828
funny how most xfce complaints i hear is about xfwm

my solution is simply to not use xfwm

xfce + openbox erryday
>>
>>45576862
I prefer MATE now but Xfce works wonder with openbox and compton. I have no complaints aside from a very minor bug of my applications icon on xfce's panel sometimes dissapearing
>>
xubuntu 14.10 completely broke my amazing looking desktop theme, also fuck their MLP-tier feature advertising bullshit
>>
>>45575808
>computing efficiently
>bash
grandpa, choose one

>>45575992
http://www.howtogeek.com/189974/how-to-share-your-computers-files-with-a-virtual-machine/
>>
I like gnome 3 :3
>>
>>45576685
What is feature complete
>>
>>45576622
>Don't forget XFCE

That's about the only sane DE around but is too dependent on Gnome and is suffering from lack of updates.

The Linux desktop is a mess at the moment. It's never gonna be the year of the desktop for Linux.
>>
>>45576609
>I don't know what Ubuntu was using before unity but that shit was some good shit
>Gnome 2 ?

Yep was Gnome 2. Ubuntu 10.04 was a good release but that was nearly 5 years ago. Mate brings back the gnome 2 goodness I guess but the world has moved on. Having said that. I would prefer Mate over LXDE any day.

BTW - I'm not a robot.
>>
In my option, there is only one DE. My explanation

1) KDE is babby tier animations and shit. I didn't buy a computer to play Dora the explorer

2) GNOME 3 is shit. Can't get an idea of the windows open at a glance, go too far in the upper left corner and Menu comes out, it's shit and laggy and uglier than the average /g/ user. UI was designed by drunk Russian

3) Unity is shit. It's like GNOME 3, but heavier.

4) MATE is bugfestival

5) Pantheon is like MATE, with additional bugs and crashes

Then comes CINNAMON, that is like Putin of DEs. It's the saviour of humankind.

That was my explanation as to why CINNAMON is the best de ever. Exptrapulate your options
>>
File: Linux DEs.png (83 KB, 1292x616) Image search: [Google]
Linux DEs.png
83 KB, 1292x616
Come on people, there is so much to choose from.
>>
>>45577770
>Then comes CINNAMON, that is like Putin of DEs. It's the saviour of humankind.

+10 Internets to you good sir. I may have to try this cinnamon thing.
>>
Unity and loving it.
>>
XFCE (and soon LXQt), Mate, Cinnamon, and KDE are all traditional windows-like desktops with the features you mentioned.
>>
File: 1406473636476.jpg (689 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
1406473636476.jpg
689 KB, 1836x3264
>>45577770
This.
>>
>>45577770
I run Debian with Cinnamon on one computer and MATE on the other. Both run like a dream.
>>
>>45577770
>Then comes CINNAMON, that is like Putin of DEs. It's the saviour of humankind.
what? is this supposed to be sarcasm? why the hell do you bring politics into this?
>>
>>45577926
No.
Putin stronk.
Cinnamon stronk. I was comparing stronkness. Don't you say "hard as a rock"? Or "ugly as hell"? Or "smells like a French"?
>>
>>45577965
This is /g/. Please go to /pol/ if you want to discuss unusual opinions on geopolitics and please don't shill your opinion on here. You will not gain much sympathy with "putin stronk" here.
>>
>>45578041
/g/ here. Putin is stronk.
>>
>>45578041
Alright. Sorry.
>>
>>45577965
Putin isn't technology, he's a fucking loonie.
>>
>>45578060
>stronk
top fucking kek
>>
>>45578102
>>45578081
>>45578060
>>45577965
not /g/.
>>
>>45576844
Its called knife length you autismo
>>
>>45576146
>>45576810
>>45576844

Epic! Us geeky nerds, right? Must. Cut. Along. The. Line. He he, our OCD is just soooo geeky, let's pretend it bothers us so we can appear cool and quirky! Teehee.

That's how you sound.
>>
>>45577770
Cinnamon is slow as crap
>MATE is bugfestival
I love how everyone who bashes MATE for the bugs fail to mention even one.
If it is the compositor, then it's the same deal than with xfwm: replace it with compton
>>
>>45578182
Not him but you can clearly see the knife looks long enough to cut through the lines
>>
>>45578269
>cinnamon is low as crap
Maybe you should try it on a post-2000 computer, anon.
>>
>>45578182
Start at the middle and drag the knife towards you.
>>
File: 1418319136530.jpg (126 KB, 625x501) Image search: [Google]
1418319136530.jpg
126 KB, 625x501
>>45578305

I mapped out the 3D space in this image using linear perspective overlay.
It's clearly not long enough.
>>
>>45578334
I did. Opening the applications menu had an annoying delay that no other DE had, for instance
Are you saying they fixed that bug? a lot of people complained about it back then
>>
>>45578371
Maybe. It's opening instantly for me.
>>
>>45578370
That's funny.
Unfortunately, you forgot the fact you're not supposed to cut the middle part (notice how it wasn't cut for the pieces of the cake that were probably cut correctly). So the length is actually perfect
>>
>>45577842
what plugin for that traditional menu?
>>
>>45578400
That fucking plugin is a resourcehog.
>>
>>45576121
lol'd at the image, but I'm interested to know as well. To me, Debian is just too rock fucking solid to ignore
>>
>>45578371
I've only had that problem while booting from a live DVD from a year ago.
>>
>>45578385
That's nice. How's the ram usage?
>>
>>45578422
200MB.
>>
File: xeroxstar2.gif (6 KB, 352x277) Image search: [Google]
xeroxstar2.gif
6 KB, 352x277
>>45576511
I'm too good for this board.
>>
>>45578447
Then leave. It just keeps getting worse
>>
>>45573566
it just werkz for me
>>
File: 1405712603548.jpg (156 KB, 500x780) Image search: [Google]
1405712603548.jpg
156 KB, 500x780
>>45576511
>But everything good about mac os interface is stolen from either gnome or unity. Look at global menu or their "new" titlebars.

kek

>not knowing about earlier versions Mac OS
>not knowing about System 7, 8, & 9
>not knowing that Xerox made the first GUI
>not knowing Apple bought the rights to it and never put a copy write on it so everyone could use it
>not knowing that generally almost every OS GUI was based off of early Mac OSs
>showing this much hatred towards a company that you believe so much that they can't possibly do any good

You just scream modern PC gamer fag.
>>
GTK3 is shit, Qt is the future.
>>
I must admit, i tried couple of linux distros in vmware and elementary worked the fastest for me, after giving them all 1gb ram

i didn't bother with resource light distros tho
>>
File: 1418147862868.jpg (50 KB, 524x700) Image search: [Google]
1418147862868.jpg
50 KB, 524x700
>>45573566
Just use Cinnamon like a sensible person.
>>
File: 1374424520820.jpg (114 KB, 362x347) Image search: [Google]
1374424520820.jpg
114 KB, 362x347
i just love unity.
i always had the windows taskbar in vertical mode, and the top manel integration is fucking neat, 0 vertical space wasted

gnome3, cinnamon and kde all fail if I prefer my panels vertical
>>
File: 1413829824392.jpg (46 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1413829824392.jpg
46 KB, 408x439
>>45578729
>Uses taskbar in vertical mode.
>Speaking about waste of space.
>>
>>45573566

>loonix before 2007: decent UI

>2007: Vista came out

>loonix after 2007: LOOK AT THIS AERIAL GLASS THEMED TRANSPARENT MENU IT'S SO COOL

>loonix fans: hurrrr winblowz sux cox
>>
>>45578559

>1.2GB of ram

>just werks

Kill thy self
>>
>>45579388
>firefox
>>
>>45573566
>implying Linux is an OS
>>
>Using a bloated DE
I understand that everyone experiments when they're young, but it's time to settle on a nice lean, mean WM. Cut the crap already.
>>
>>45579751
>being a child and/or manchild
>>
OpenBox+tint2+conky+compton+nitrogen

WM, panel, fancy text display, screen-tearing-preventer, wallpaper manager

Use this instead of GNOME/KDE/Cinnamon/LXDE/XFCE/Unity
>>
>>45579766
>conky
Bloat

>nitrogen
It's okay but pcmanfm-desktop is better.

Everything else you listed is good though.
>>
>>45579814
I just use conky to show temps and stuff. I guess I can see how you'd consider it bloat.
>>
>>45573566
What's stopping you from just using cinnamon?
>>
>>45578269

How about the fact that vertical panels are broken?

https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/157

You have the option to have a vertical panel, but it just amounts to a "break my desktop" checkbox. This is amateur hour.
>>
>all that no love for LXDE
>>
XFCE is best
>>
>>45581788
xfce hasn't been updated in forever
>>
>>45574706
spoko mirek zajebisty pulpicik :^)
>>
>>45581788
so? What needs to be updated?
>>
>>45581880
meant to reply to
>>45581814
>>
>>45581880
Wayland support.
>>
>>45573587
Or Xfce. Or MATE. You may not like them, but they're not tabletified and work pretty much like desktops worked back in the days.
>>
File: schemes.png (519 KB, 1670x1016) Image search: [Google]
schemes.png
519 KB, 1670x1016
I really hate that UI toolkits and window managers are entirely separated on Linux because it makes it difficult to perfectly match the window frame and window interiors in some situations. GTK and Qt are a little too limiting in their theming capabilities to.

If only someone created a WM and UI toolkit where the drawing the window decorations and interior widgets were drawn in a unified way and as much control as possible as given to the theme artist. This is how Kaleidoscope was and I miss it (pic related).

As far as DE design goes I think maybe the biggest problem is that their designers think in terms of absolutes. Instead of providing a nice middleground they veer towards one extreme or the other which creates a product that's unbalanced in several ways.
>>
File: it joost werks.png (120 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
it joost werks.png
120 KB, 1000x800
>>45573723
Install Mint, it just works!
>>
>>45578559
What program do you use to generate this info on the terminal?
>>
>>45579766
Openbox is deprecated as fuck
>>
>>45582787
It just werks.

Well, the only reason to switch would be for Wayland.
>>
>>45573566
>2014
>using Linux instead of BSD
Kill yourself, plebian.
>>
>>45578629
>putting words in people's mouths
>>
File: 1417819482139.jpg (91 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
1417819482139.jpg
91 KB, 1024x764
>>45584071
>putting words in people's mouths
The post I did was quoted from that guy. There was no words being put in anyone's mouth.
>>
Can't you write your criticism of the shitty direction desktop environments have taken without filling it with insults?
>>
>>45581924
Fedora release that will be shipped with Wayland = current release + 1
>>
>>45573566
KDE/Cinnamon
GNOME a shit
>>
File: 1315311697457.jpg (38 KB, 500x523) Image search: [Google]
1315311697457.jpg
38 KB, 500x523
>>45577770
cinnamon a shit
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.