[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/, newcomer to Linux here. Just wondering on what the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: snapshot1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
snapshot1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Sup /g/, newcomer to Linux here.

Just wondering on what the best alternative programs are and any must have programs I don't know about. Any definitive music player?

Also general tips for a new Ubuntu user?
>>
>>45549344
>Install gentoo
>Don't call it alternatives -Stallman

I've gotten them out of the way. You can now answer OPs post in earnest /g/
>>
Rhythmbox, Clementine and Banshee are pretty good. And do not expect Linux to be anything like Windows.
>>
>>45549587

Will look into those 3 now, thanks
I been using it a little in College, nothing major though. I already know how powerful Linux is already, just wanna get to grips with how things work fast and know my way around the system.
>>
If you like CLI, use mpd+ncmpcpp or mpd+moc

For videos, I like mpv, most people on /g/ like it, it's worth a try.

Personally, I like to browse my files in terminal, so try ranger or midnight commander.

Thunar and Nautilus have no split pane, so fuck them. If you like split pane, I think there's a file manager called Sunflower that supports that.

Torrents: Deluge, or if you're smart enough to set it up, rTorrent+ruTorrent. Fuck Transmission.

Text editing, entirely dependant on your preferences. If you like to edit via CLI, use vim, if you like a graphical editor, do some research on them, I like Sublime Text.

Editing: Fuck gimp, don't even try that shit. Just install Photoshop through wine.

feh for image viewing.
>>
>>45549344
>tips for a new Ubuntu user

Install something else.
>>
Ok, i'm gonna use this thread

I decided to install some Linux distro to my not so tech friendly father. What do you suggest? All i need is no glitches, bugs, and it should "just werk", also it would be preferable it weren't too resource heavy

Mint, Ubuntu, something else, what do you think?
>>
>>45549691
Literally Ubuntu
It's Linux for dummies. Don't forget to install a remote-access program for when he fucks something up and you need to fix it (unless you live in the same house).

>>45549344
Honestly I don't think you should use Ubuntu at all. I feel that if you want to get into Linux, you will become very fed-up with Ubuntu and how much it tries to pander to the lowest common denominator of tech knowledge.
>>
>>45549691
Debian Testing w/GNOME 3. Everything else is buggy or old.
>>
>ctrl+f amarok
>no match

Seriously, it's a must have if you are running KDE.
>>
>>45549719
>remote-access program

something like teamviewer? does it exist for linux?
>>
>>45549691
mint because its ubuntu + extra bloat which you probably end up installing anyway
>>
>>45549824
>ubuntu + extra bloat
Not hardly. It's an independent distro that makes its own DE and own repositories that tend to borrow .deb files from the same place Ubuntu does.
>>
File: sparky36-mate.png (853 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sparky36-mate.png
853 KB, 800x600
Anyone have any experience with Sparky Linux? Prericed Debian but Testing therefore not ancient like Crunchbang.
>>
>>45549983
Except Sparky is hideous and #! is beautiful (plus you can just update #! through the terminal).
>>
File: semplice.png (492 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
semplice.png
492 KB, 1280x1024
>>45550043
The upgrading from sysvinit to systemd is messy and ends up breaking if you try.

What about Semplice?
>>
Another Linux Noob here.
I had a lot of troubles with Ubuntu so I just went the way of Xubuntu, but haven't got myself to rice it yet because the main problem I still have is that the Nvidia card that I have is fucking up things, and everything shakes when browsing the internet.

Also, Open office or Libre office? keep in mind that I have to share files with people using Office on windows and OSX
>>
>>45549344
Deadbeef
>>
>>45550233
>everything shakes when browsing the internet.

Have you tried installing proprietary drivers? What do you mean by shaking?
>>
>>45549768
AHAHHA THIS GUY

Linux is made for remote access! SSH, maybe X11 forwarding (don't use firefox with x11 forwarding, it's x11 code is shitty and it lags)
>>
>>45550233
Libre office - I use it on my laptop and have only had compatibility problems with conditional formatting in excel. Plus I think libre office receives more regular updates.
>>
>>45551645
Yes, but the proprietary drivers fuck things up even more, to the point that in the ubuntu forums there is actually a section about logging into terminal from grub, to delete the proprietary ones, because they sometimes cause the computer to not be able to start, it happened to me too.

By shaking I mean that when browsing, if I scroll down a little, things don't stop, they have a rubberbanding effect of going up and down, I would try to capture it, but I'm anoob so CLI webm is way too advanced for me, I can barely do it on winblows
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.