[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I just like the feel of a real book.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: eFook.jpg (30 KB, 400x486) Image search: [Google]
eFook.jpg
30 KB, 400x486
>I just like the feel of a real book.
>>
File: scent bottle plain gilt.jpg (47 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
scent bottle plain gilt.jpg
47 KB, 800x600
>I like the book smell
>>
I like papercuts.
>>
File: 1374610293169.jpg (58 KB, 457x381) Image search: [Google]
1374610293169.jpg
58 KB, 457x381
>use kindle
>battery barely lasts a day
>use ipad
>battery lasts weeks
>>
Books are obsolete. Welcome to the future.
>>
>I like to fill up my bookshelves

Also I've been posting for the past hour with this new captcha and it still makes me fill out the fucking words. I've tried disabling all my add-ons and it did not help. (firefox)

please help
>>
>>45531679
Which version? The paperwhite lasts pretty long unless you have it on full brightness, which is full retard for e-ink anyway.
>>
>>45531612
ebooks lack character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNWE17GqibI
>>
>>45531679
you're either using a shit-tier knock-off kindle or a magic-infused ipad
>>
>>45531687
>new captcha it still makes me fill out the fucking words
It means you're doing it right.
>>
The foundations of our society are strong.
>>
>>45531612
Anon leave these people.

I feel awkward when people are giving me crazy look for wanting laptop instead of tablet, keyboard instead of touchscreen etc. People are drawn to what they once liked.
>>
>>45531718
or he's just shitposting because all he has is an ipad
>>
File: 1417894171874.gif (946 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1417894171874.gif
946 KB, 400x300
>>45531612
I'm glad I don't know any hipsters that say this.
Also
>read a real book
>have to constantly shift from one side to the other when turning pages because the book isn't balanced.
Books are a hassle, I'm not a sentimental person it's the words on the page I'm interested in not the paper.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm liking mine. Already finished 2 books on it.
>>
I still like real books, but.. the kindle is so convenient, i can take its places, with a case i don't have to worry about damage, and in terms of size, it's smaller than most books i read.
>>
Large books are really nice. Lush, giant color photographs and drawings. They usually gimp the ebook versions really hard. Otherwise books are depreciated.
>>
Cant wait for the day that we get extremely sturdy/cheap replacements for paper in the form of crumpable/foldable tablets. They might even outlast an average book that could get rot or whatever from moisture.
>>
>books
literally why
it was understandable in middle ages since there were no movies
but why torment yourseleves nowadays
>>
>>45531612
I want an e-ink device that I can put arbitrary pdf's on, with an SD card, where I can download from whatever archive I want, without DRM, without all that worthless bullshit that makes it "feel like a real book" to the accounting firms who are running these shitty IP leeching companies.

Howabout that shit?
>>
>>45531874
>music
literally why
it was understandable in middle ages since there were no music videos but why torment yourselves nowadays
>>
>>45531679
thats physically not possible.
nice trole broo XD
>>
>>45531796
>2 books
wow you on a roll son!!! SUCK A BIG BAG OF DICKS YOU PIECE OF SHIT
>>
Add a dull razor to each edge of the ereader.
There, now you can enjoy your paper cuts with your text.
>>
Books are fucking terrible. They bend so you can't see the words near the crease, they tire your pinkie after a few hours and you never have the one you want with you.
>>
File: e-ink tablets 200usd.png (67 KB, 648x792) Image search: [Google]
e-ink tablets 200usd.png
67 KB, 648x792
>>
>>45531612
What would be the best windows tablet for ereading.
>>
File: 350332.jpg (46 KB, 428x283) Image search: [Google]
350332.jpg
46 KB, 428x283
ITT sci fi fags will never know the feel of a classic leather bound book
I honesty feel sorry for you fags
>>
>>45533282
If it feels anything like your leather-bound mom it'll be a huge letdown.
>>
I love physical books, but I care little for things like paperback novels. I use my Kindle for things like that and if I really love the book, I buy a hardback version of it.
>>
>>45531679
I know you regret buying an iPad, but this isn't the right way to handle that mistake.
>>
>not using both
>limiting yourself to new shit instead of enjoying everything technological civilization has to offer

For reference books I prefer a physical book. My dinged up carpentry and woodworking books can stay in the shop.

Novels on the other hand are great for an ereader.
>>
>>45531612
The complete transition would be possible with coloured displays for me
>>
File: Image 26.png (216 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Image 26.png
216 KB, 1536x2048
>>45533677
Not that guy but my iPad has some pretty good battery life, especially when reading books off of wifi
>>
>>45531679
Nook Simple Touch last about a month. Though sucks as you have to turn it off or it will drain 1 or 2% every day
>>
File: doom paul 7.jpg (69 KB, 599x761) Image search: [Google]
doom paul 7.jpg
69 KB, 599x761
>>45533927
>1 or 2% every day
OMG!!!!!!!!!!
>>
booksniffers are the worst
>>
>>45531683
>DRM shitware everywhere
>welcome to the future
no, fuckoff retard
>>
>>45531874
confirmed for street beggar
>>
>>45533002
>its so hard to hold a binding of paper up
just how much of a faggot are you?
>>
Plenty of books I read just aren't in any electronic form. Not all of us read harry potter or hunger of thrones like some manchild piece of shit.
>>
I'd really get one of these if they didn't cost around 400U$S in my country.
>>
>>45536734
>doesn't know you can remove drm
>>
But i DO like the feel of a real book. Plus, not all of the books I read are available as eBooks.
Also tablets are toy anyway. I don't want to waste money on them.
>>
>>45536965
>having to waste time doing that on a device that was meant to be a book reader
defeats the purpose for me. I rather not consume my media on a shiny locked down toy
>>
>>45533085
What the fuck does it mean by comfortable PDF reading?
>>
>>45537085
>hasn't read PDFs on a device ever
>>
>>45537085
Placebo shit that requires you to pay more money.
>>
>>45537085
le software gimmick marketing
>>
>>45537085
>>45537113
PDFs come in various forms on devices and are made for some devices over others. Manga and graphic novels (comics) are one example of this. Newspapers are another. Some require you to rotate the reader, some don't.

Why do people think that just because they have never experienced something before, it's stupid or useless? Fucking plebs.
>>
>>45537012
It literally takes 5 minutes and iPads can be used for a lot more than just books?
>>
>>45531612
They could make a double-screened kindle
>>
>>45537161
>iPads can be used for a lot more than just books
Like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Clash of Clans?
>>
i like my nook simple touch but it really REALLY makes me wish that e ink general use tablets were a thing

>a month of battery life
>compact
>low energy
>attached physical keyboard
>easy to read
>read and write emails/documents
>basic web research

perfect for camping, travel, you name it

toss in a battery pack and you've got the perfect tool for writers
>>
>>45537153
It's just zoom in/zoom out/rotate/stretch, all basic pdf functions that a pdf reader must have.
>pay more money to get basic functions
Dude, really?
>>
>>45537672
nice meme

you obviously don't own an iPad
>>
>>45537728
I used to.
Then I realized it's fucking useless so I sold it to buy some PC parts.
Now I can do real work.
>>
>Read colour comic books
>Listen to audio books

Eink tablets are useless to me.

I have contributed nothing to this discussion and only talked about myself.

[spoilers]btw ima grill[/spoilers]
>>
>>45537728
Not even once.
>>
>>45537754
I get all of my work done on my iPad, works pretty well for me

I can write all of my papers for college, manage my websites, web servers, and pretty much everything else

It's not my fault you're too stupid to know how to use apps
>>
>>45537728
>the only Ipad I own is the one in a nerf case that my 3 year old daughter watches Disney cartoons on

They just work...for infants.
>>
>>45537785
It's sad when little kids know how to use an iPad better than you do isn't it?
>>
>>45537778
>using a crippled touchscreen abortion to do things that could be executed more efficiently on a laptop
>>
>>45537778
I have dedicated laptop for on the go works, and a desktop for heavy duties, also entertainment.
iPad is fucking restrictive. Also, my websites are real websites, not some Wordpress shit, so a real computer is needed to manage them.
>>
I prefer the iPad for consuming media.

Really, one device for music, youtube and books. Much better than some eink display.
>>
>>45537803
This is what people who have obviously never used an iPad before say

There's nothing cripped about apps like Pixelmator, Transmit, Prompt 2, Notability, Pages, Keynote, or even Photoshop and Autocad

But I guess it's nice never having to leave your room right?

>>45537829
>laptop for on the go works

Yeah, I so enjoy carrying big laptops around

What about iPad is restrictive again? What can't you do or are you repeating le epik apple maymay ad nauseum?

> my websites are real websites

And somehow using apps specifically made for iPad and web management invalidates my websites? What are you, 12?
>>
>>45537860
>What about iPad is restrictive again?
Debugging websites on iPad is the worst nightmare, almost on the level of debugging on IE.
Touch keyboard is a fucking joke.
No real text editor/project browser.
Oh, and the shell. Nothing beats a real shell like zsh.
I have nothing against Apple, I own an iPhone. But if you tell me to waste my money on an iPad, you will get a slap in the face.
>>
I prefer real books for studying so much more than e-book it isn't even fair. However, I love reading novels and that kind of thing on my kindle
>>
>>45537853
>Confirmed Mac Employee or Macfag

Any laptop is better than an ipad in function and performance
>>
>>45531679
>>use ipad
>>battery lasts weeks
Same, I used it for 5 seconds and when I turned it back on a week later it still had battery!
>>
>>45537853

Have a MBA here to do some real work and a Kindle to read.

I think it's better, at least with the kindle you can only fucking read and not being distracted.
>>
>>45531999
Got it like 5 days ago dick fuck
>>
>>45533085
What's the price of each one?

Was thinking about getting an Aura HD for it's screen and don't really care about built in mp3 player.
>>
>>45537672
I take all my uni notes on it. Works pretty well
>>
>read a lot as a child
>out of HS suddenly just not picking books up any more, feels bad man, too much TV
>start reading on cellphone before bed, when I wake up
>suddenly mowing through novels like their nothing
Using the power of not wanting to get out of bed for good.
Also you don't need the perfect device to really enjoy literature
>>
>>45531612
My dad said that. Then I got him a Kobo Glo for Christmas two years ago and he can't put it down.
>>
>>45539778
*they're
>>
I prefer reading real books. Tactilely they're more enjoyable in a few ways, its easier to flip between pages or skim, they don't depend on a charge, there are never formatting issues or DRM to worry about.
They're all minor concerns, but if I have the choice between reading a physical book and the same book on my kobo I'll read the real book.
E-readers are so fucking ridiculously convenient though. If I want to read something I can find and download it in 30 seconds for free, then carry it around with dozens of other books that weigh nothing and take no space. Mine is even waterproof, so it takes getting dropped into a hottub or something better than a real book. No more going to public libraries, finding they don't have a book in stock, placing an order for it, waiting a week for it to get in, going back to pick it up, reading it, and going back to drop it off.
Unless you work in a library or a bookstore or something and can get basically anything you want, there's no reason not to own one if you like to read.
>>
How long do these things last when using the built-in mp3 player
>>
>>45531711
>Sho's voice
VAs pls
>>
>>45531897
Kobo aura hd + koreader
>>
Will the e-readers ever get bigger? I just want an 8-10 inch E-reader and 99% of them are sub tier 6 inch tabs,

Yeah I know that Sony one exists but nigga do you really think I'm gonna shell out 1k+ for a god damn e-ink screen
>>
>>45540581
Why exactly would you want them that much bigger?
>>
>>45533282
I have a leather bound Kindle.

Checkmate.
>>
>oh boy, I have all these ebooks!
>Amazon bans you/their system goes down so you lose them all
>any other provider does this
>your battery dies
>your device dies
>you don't agree with their DRM shit

Then what? You are forced to download PDFs to read on your tablet from #bookz?

Granted this is a troll thread but I would only use epub or mobi files I downloaded on an eBook reader.
>>
>>45541032
Who even buys books from the built-in store anuway?
>>
>>45531710
>>45531752
In all seriousness, this is a PaperWhite. For some reason it lasted well over a month the first charge. On the second charge and beyond it barely lasted a few days, and that's with me not even using it.
>>
>>45539973
Sounds like a PBS narrator.
>>
ebooks only exist to make money off of retards by giving them a false sense of superiority
>HURR MUH CLUTTER
>>
smartphones only exist to make money off of retards by giving them a false sense of superiority
>HURR MUH CLUTTER
>>
File: dank.png (4 KB, 74x96) Image search: [Google]
dank.png
4 KB, 74x96
>there are people on this board that read chinese comics on an e-reader
>>
>>45541157
Contact Amazon, could be a faulty battery.

It's best to sort these issues out rather than just sulking and going "hurrr, it sucks"
>>
>>45537853
I have both, and the Paperwhite is much nicer for reading. its perfect for late night reading, and it strains the eyes much less than the iPad display.

Plus i can carry both + keyboard and it's still more convenient and lighter than taking my laptop on short trips.
>>
>>45541221
Oops, I meant Choe (forgot the minor character's name). Makashima's voice isn't terrible; it's edgy, and he's an edgy character.

But for a character who's supposed to be a Gibson hacker, Choe sounds like some kind of chain-smoking biker.
>>
>>45541417
It affords me the look of paper without spending $8 on each volume
>>
>>45541849
I'm considering the Aura HD cause reading all my unlocalised manga on a square laptop screen is awful.

Might start reading some actual books too.
>>
>>45531679
bullshit, and also why would I buy an IPad to only read e-books? I have a laptop and a smartphone, I don't need a tablet for mobile phone apps.
literally the difference between £50 and £450
>>
I like the improvement in content recall provided by linking the act of page turning, relative thickness of page stacks, and actual book content.

Our brains did not evolve for imaginary buttons. They work slightly better with physical objects.
>>
>>45537778
>buying ipads
>giving money to a company that won't even let you install your own software
>"hurr, doesn't effect my lifestyle"

americans are fat, stupid, shortsighted, and selfish
>>
>>45541859
>I'm considering the Aura HD
Don't forget to consider that there isn't a good ereader the same size as most of the manga you want to read on it, so everything will be scaled down to fit the screen. It's a right pain in the ass when the typesetter crams everything into one box and shrinks the font down to fit it all in.
>>
meh, I rarely read books, but every time I've tried reading an "ebook" I just loose focus and think "I could be surfing the internet right now, playing video games or do some work".
Also the backlighting strains my eyes and no, turning it off is not a fucking alternative.
Guess I'm a bookfag.
>>
>>45542178
Not that Anon but what's the best e-reader for reading manga?
>>
>check amazon
>almost all e-ink readers cost as much as a console

Sucks being a poorfag.
>>
>>45531612
For textbooks, physical > digital. Come back when an affordable 11"+ e-ink w/ color comes out.
>>
>>45542815
I feel more obligated to pirate books the more expensive they get.

Have about 150 bucks saved up right now and I might get an Kobo Aura HD.
>>
>>45533085
Everyone complains about the software and touch controls being shit on the t68.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdVPDoJiwyY
>>
>>45537798
But they can't even go into settings... without being able to read, they can't do shit on their own. Plus they know nothing about tech in general.
>>
The feel of a real book is better and having the cover and everything is an added bonus.

Being able to get your entire library in your pocket for free is a much bigger advantage, though.
>>
>>45545020
I don't give a single shit about that if I have to sacrifice the feeling of actually holding and reading a book.
>>
I love my ebook reader for traveling but live in constant fear it will break in buttfuck third world and I'll be sol for something to read.
>>
Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Aura HD?
What do I buy??? Someone help.
>>
I have a Kindle 2 that is still going strong and it has a text to speech feature the newer ones don't have that I use one car trips, the only problem I have with it is that the battery is starting to fade.
>>
>>45545303
I heard the Paperwhite can't turn off the backlight.
That'd be really bothersome and bad for the battery, one of the reasons I like ebooks is the clarity of the screen without actually needing a backlight at all times.

Otherwise, I don't really know which one would be better.
>>
What was that reader with the bigger screen for my cartoons.
>>
>>45531612

Reading an actual book really is a bit more nice than reading on an eBook reader.
But I don't like having a light on. Once I got a Paperlight I started reading so much more. And with the super Prime rent a book each month for free thing I got to read quite a few books I would have never checked out just like that but boy, I enjoyed reading them a lot. And bought the actual, physical book afterwards.
>>
>>45531848
>Lush, giant color photographs and drawings.

What kind of books do you read
>>
>>45545991
I only read books for the pictures
>>
>>45546033

So you look at the cover and say "That was a nice read"?
>>
>>45545303
The kobo is the easy choice.
>>
>>45545808

It can't turn it off completely, yes. I only read in the dark so I don't mind but my first Paperwhite got a scratch in the display which wasn't noticeable at all when the light was off (in the standby mode), but as soon as the light/the device was on, there were huge streaks of light across the screen. So, yeah, that sucked.

Anyway, with an unscratched display I don't care about the backlight being constantly on
>>
>>45544984

so it's like your everyday apple customer.
>>
>>45531687

I do love filling up my bookshelves, but I don't buy physical copies until I read a pirated version on my kobo. No point buying a book you end up not liking.
>>
>>45537153

>manga
>pdf

What kinda retard are you reading mangas as pdf files? If you want it on your kindle or kobo or whatever, just zip the images up as a .cbz file and voila.
>>
Any one know if the Aura H2O is much better than the HD? Except for the waterproofing I think I read that it had a whiter screen
>>
>>45546519

I can't tell you how well it compares since I only got the H2O, but its a great step up from my paperwhite.

Supposedly the H2O feels better to hold for left-handed people compared to the HD, since the HD had a non-symmetrical back.

Protip: Don't hold your H2O under a running faucet. It's waterproof if you submerge it in the bathtub, but a jet of water will still get into the cracks around the power button. Mine randomly turned on and off for a few days after.
>>
>>45546555
Thanks, might get the H2O then. Still can't decide because the Paperwhite is a fair bit cheaper
>>
>>45546648

Do you read manga?

Yes: Buy the H2O
No: Buy the Paperwhite
>>
>>45546660
I might, but probably not much
>>
I bought a kindle keyboard for 20 bucks off my university's free and for sale facebook page, installed duokan instead of kindle OS, and use it to read manga. No ragrets.
>>
It's like the difference between sitting next to a real fire and reading a real book as opposed to sitting next to a fake electric fire and reading a kindle.

I also like going out to bookstores or libraries and reading through books, I'm just THAT kind of fag.
>>
>>45533282
One leather bound book costs more than a used kindle, with unlimited options on titles
>>
>>45546679

How can you even read anything with that resolution? I had to go for an HD reader to be able to read most manga.

>>45546677

Just saw that they released the HD Paperwhite, so I don't think it actually matters then. But you should check file support, unless you plan to buy all your books from amazon.
>>
>>45546721
Yeah, the file support is fine. Buy all my books off Amazon... Good joke
>>
>>45546721
it looks fine to me ¯\(°_o)/¯
>>
>>45531612
That seems like a perfectly valid reason to not use an ereader to me, that's as retarded as complaining about something like
>I just prefer the sound of vinyl
>I just prefer the feel of a mechanical keyboard
>I just prefer the feel of a manual transmission
>>
Hi guys. I am not really around here much, so I apologised if I make any mistakes in this post.

I just wanna ask: will there realistically be a colour e-ink ebook from the big companies (Amazon, Sony? etc) anytime soon? I really want a good quality device that can read colour pages but tablets are hurting my eyes.

I heard somewhere that they are not doing it because it is not profitable, I just wanna know if they will figure out a way to use that incredible technology which is colour e-ink.
>>
I do like the feeling of a real book. Paper between your hands just feels better and no resolution will ever be equal to actual printing. Being able to put your finger between pages is something an ereader can't provide.

And I still have an ereader for both books and mango. It's a different feel, not a worse feel. It depends a lot on where you are and what you read imo.
>>
>>45547387

They haven't found a way of doing it properly yet. Maybe in 10 years? Or maybe we'll get a hybrid or something, e-ink display in front of an OLED screen or something.
>>
>>45536734
I removed the drm from the only book I ever bought. I injected an empty account into the sql database of my kobo so that I can use it without an account. I update it manually. I can get any book DRM free that I want from a russian website. Literally any book. You have the library of congress at your finger tips, why would you want to avoid that?
>>
wait , what about nexus 7 it'S fuckin great !!!
>>
>>45544984
Give her a year or two and you'll see her using it better than you, making programs for it, learning stuff you didn't know existed and posting nudes of herself online without your knowledge.
>>
>>45533898

>reading books on a non e-ink display

How is that eye cancer going?
>>
>>45546555
Just because it's "water proof" doesn't mean you should actually regularly submerge it on purpose. Are you retarded?
>>
>>45536734

thats only for kindle sheep
>>
>>45546555
"waterproof" usually means against rain or short exposure.
>>
>>45546414
What kind of retard are you that can't into reading and grammar comprehension.

>>45539471
Both are about $200

>>45537683
>nook touch
>attached physical keyboard
??? you mean the bluetooth keyboard cover

also,
>Android 2.3.4
It only it could support 4.0
>>
>>45547590

>not testing the durability of your device so you can return it if necessary

I think you're the retard mate.

>>45547608
It actually says "waterproof up to 3ft" on it. So I put it to the test first thing. It did stay functional after 30 minutes in the bath.
>>
>>45531612
I do. But I can enjoy both. Ereader is too convenient and comfortable.
>>
>>45547622

>PDFs come in various forms
>Manga and graphic novels (comics) are one example of this

More like your wording is terrible and now you're trying to not look like an idiot.
>>
>>45547590
then they should market it as water resistant
>>
I like to read sci-fi on my Kobo, helps get me in the spirit of it.
>>
>>45547644
I'm not that guy but it's obvious what he was trying to say.
You're just interpreting it wrong and acting like the other guy is the one wrong when you're the one who doesn't appear to understand nomenclatures.
>>
Well, I've decided on getting the Aura HD.
Will use it for both books, a bit of manga and some minor text-heavy PDFs.

The size is just right for me too, slightly bigger than an average e-reader but still quite portable.
>>
>>45547746

I just didn't give him the benefit of doubt and simply assumed he was actually reading manga as pdf. If you don't wanna look like a retard online then don't write like one.
>>
whats the best ereader for manga
>>
>>45547812
an iPad
>>
>>45547812

Kobo Aura HD or H2O
>>
>>45547812
For manga you really need a 10 inch screen, and color would help for those color inserts and covers. So, an iPad or equivalent android device.
>>
>>45547879
I use a 6 inch screen and it's fine, but bigger is definitely better for manga
>>
>>45547900
I'm basing it off trying to read one on a 7 inch once and it being awful.
>>
>>45547935

Size matters less than resolution. As long as you have at least 1000 pixel vertical (though preferably more) it's readable.
>>
>>45531679
>use book
>battery never runs out
>>
File: Mu1ZT3L[1].jpg (223 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
Mu1ZT3L[1].jpg
223 KB, 1944x2592
>>45547935
Most stuff is totally fine but really tiny text can be hard to read. That's thanks to my old reader having a low resolution more than a small screen size.
>>
File: 1383875513259.png (46 KB, 486x367) Image search: [Google]
1383875513259.png
46 KB, 486x367
Is there any good reading tablet that doesn't come with proprietary hurdles to jump over? Just something cheap with a good screen that you can load reading media onto in an organized fashion
>>
>>45548109
A lot of readers just let you drop stuff onto them with calibre
>>
>>45548015
That looks pretty good, is it yours?

One thing that bothers me about the Aura HD and other new ereaders is the lack of physical buttons.
I'm a sucker for physical buttons, don't really like touching the display I'm trying to read from.
>>
>>45548171
It's mine, I like it a lot. I never used an ereader before, so for $15 used it's a good entry level model even though it's old.
>>
>>45548202
>15USD used
w-w-where do I sign up? That's free. I don't even care if I have to charge it daily.
How often do you have to charge it? Any issues or complaints?
>>
I am waiting my voyage, amazon keeps changing estimated delivery dates, fuck
I do have kindle keyboard so its allright, I can wait few more days

e readers are great anyone who enjoys reading should get one
>>
>>45548140
>>45548109

A lot of ereaders work like USB sticks. Just drag and drop the files you want on it.
>>
>>45548140
>calibre
thanks will keep that in mind. Looks great. I want to get one of the older model like >>45548015
Seems great
>>45548363
Even the DRM ones like Kindle or only the older ones?
>>
>>45548397

My last kindle, the paperwhite, was still only drag and drop. My current ereader is a Kobo H2O and it's also just drag and drop.
>>
>>45548202
>I never used an ereader before
You did well to get it. The PRS-505 remains one of the best ereaders around in terms of construction and utility. It's a real shame sony moved to touchscreens, and then killed the consumer e-reader line.
>>
>>45533085
http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-BOOX-T68-book-Built/dp/B00KW4EJL0

why does it have such shitty reviews then?
>>
>>45548363
What about image sequences?
Can I just drop a folder with a bunch of black 'n white jpegs (numbered of course) in there and will it show them in the correct order?
>>
File: lewd.jpg (501 KB, 1483x1080) Image search: [Google]
lewd.jpg
501 KB, 1483x1080
kobo aura HD 6,8 inch screen. as long as they dont do micro text you wouldnt even be able to read on a normal pc monitor it works flawlessly.
>>
>>45548413

Here's how you should do it (if you got a kobo at least)
>make folder with images (numbered)
>compress into a rar
>rename to .cbz or .cbr (though I heard cbz works better)
>enjoy reading manga
>>
>>45548421
Not really ereader related but I honestly wouldn't mind learning to read sentences from top to bottom if it meant the localisers learn how to use the text bubbles correctly.
>>
>>45548309
I don't know from this one, but the battery of my Kobo is virtually infinite, and I use it all the time.

I would really like to have an ebook reader with support for MathML. Something like a rooted Kobo with a modded FirefoxOS would probably do the trick.
>>
>>45548421

>Have you already forgotten?
>Have you already forgotten it again stupid?
>some extra speech added to third panel

Which translation is more correct? I need to know.
>>
>>45548421
German is such a hard language to learn.
>>
>>45548476

It's actually easier than you think Anon.
>>
>all the new ebook readers have wifi, 3G, touchscreen; usb is only used for battery loading
>none have buttons, SD-card slots and usb-data connections

This is just really disappointing.
>>
>>45548516

>no SD card slots

Get a Kobo H2O, comes with a microSD slot.
>>
>>45548309
That was a pretty lucky find, generally they're more like 20 or 25 on ebay. I started looking for a deal after seeing someone talk about theirs on /g/ a while ago.
The battery lasts forever, you can put custom firmware on it (prs plus) for more features, and it uses regular SD cards along with the onboard storage. It doesn't have a touch screen, backlight, internet connectivity, or anything fancy really.
The interface isn't super fast, it takes a second or so to change pages or select menu items. There are no speakers, but it has a headphone jack if you want to listen to music through it, but I don't know who would really want that. You'll have to use calibre or something to convert non-book things to LRF if you want to read them, since it doesn't handle PDF or CBZ well.

>>45548407
It was a pretty good buy. I'd definitely recommend it to someone who doesn't know if they would like using an ereader. It's definitely better than spending $100+ on something with a ton of extra features that most people don't need.
>>
>>45548539
>waterproof* and dustproof
Oh hey, that's pretty cool; I wanted that anyway but never really expected any model to have that. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>45548421
>as long as they dont do micro text you wouldnt even be able to read on a normal pc monitor it works flawlessly.
"flawlessly" is an overstatement. Small text is readable, but not comfortably so. They can throw more pixels at the problem, but that's not going to help much at this point. I'm lucky enough to have elbows, so I can move my kobo closer to my face to compoensate for the smaller page area - but that doesn't mean that the reduced size is ideal. An 8 to 10 inch Kobo HD would be preferable.
>>
>>45548547
also check this out if you want more information:
wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505
code.google.com/p/prs-plus/
>>
>>45548462
Interesting, and here I thought ebook readers had no tweaks and added side functionality
Going to look for a cheap Sony
>>45548547
>It doesn't have a touch screen, backlight, internet connectivity, or anything fancy really.
Just what I wanted. 15 vs 20-25 is no difference.
>doesn't handle PDF well
how much effort would it be to convert to LRF? Are there any downsides?
What model are you talking about again?
Sorry, new to the ebook market but interested
>>
>>45548569
I think the current size of the Aura HD is quite convenient, any bigger would just make it more annoying to handle.

I had used an iPad for a while and it was just too big for comfortable reading.

At least, that's my opinion on things, I'm a sucker for small and portable.
>>
>>45548664
>I'm a sucker for small and portable.
I like it to be no larger than the average book
>>45548547
so is the PRS-505 really a solid choice? I really want one to consume pdfs and the barebone features and pricepoint is really appealing to me.
>>
>>45547622
i was describing a new type of device.

the nook is shit as a tablet
fucking 800mhz what the fuck
>>
>>45548735
>I really want one to consume pdfs
I had a PRS-505, they fucking rule but not for PDFs. Get an LCD tablet or drop a shitload of money on a large-screen e-ink reader like the Kindle DX
>>
>>45547456
What's the site anon?
Any book at my finger tips sounds amazing
>>
>>45541849
But then I don't get to look at a nice little collection on my shelf anon
I like my little collection surrounded by nendoroids ^_^
>>
>>45531874
>linux
literally why
it was understandable in middle ages since there were no MacBooks
but why torment yourseleves nowadays
>>
File: 505.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
505.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>45548735
I just use it for ebooks and manga. I don't think it would be good for PDFs, since it's slow and has a small screen. If the pdf is just text you could convert it into a faster format, but if it's image and formatting heavy it's not going to look good even if it's size is optimized, because the screen is small and low res. Most pdfs are pretty big too, which wont work well. Basically they're slow and unreadable, I wouldn't recommend it. The thing is from 2007.
>>
>>45542146
our brains didn't evolve for fucking books you absolute retard. they evolved for hunting and gathering. we have the capacity to learn to read books but it's a learned behaviour you stupid cunt
>>
>>45540939
text books maybe?
>>
File: Onyx Boox M96 vs Kindle.jpg (206 KB, 1000x817) Image search: [Google]
Onyx Boox M96 vs Kindle.jpg
206 KB, 1000x817
I'm looking into getting the Onyx Boox M96. The T68 has some issues, but from the reviews I've seen of the M96 in seems solid.

> 9.6" for reading my manga (Inb4 weeb) I find a larger screen were comfortable to read on
> Android 4.0 is decently modern and has good app support
> stylus input (no fingerprints!)
> Bluetooth so I can use a real keyboard and do writing on this
> 3+ week battery life
I've literally been waiting for something like this to come out. Just need it to be actually in stock somewhere or suck up the premium and buy one off fleeceBay.

I have a rooted Nook Simple Touch. Works well, but Android 2.2 is archaic. Also screen is way to small for manga.

>>45540581 see above
>>
>>45549119
>that kindle
Nobody really reads like that, right?
>>
You generally won't finish one book in a day so this technology is totally useless

Also reading lots of text on a screen just hurts my eyes, I can read books for hours
>>
>>45549194
But this isn't just a screen, it's motherfuckin E-INK!
>>
>>45549194

Spoken like a true basement dweller that has never traveled.
>>
>E-readers
I can't believe there are people this poor.
>>
>>45549220
>packing for travelling
>pack 2 books
OMG TAKES UP SO MUCH SPACE MUH HUNDREDS OF BOOKS!!!11
>>
One e-reader will always be more convenient than 2 books.
>>
>>45549236

Spoken like a true pleb that can't read at a decent speed.
On my last 3 week trip I read through both Hyperion and Endymion books, and three other books.
Just because you're too limited to understand the value it has to other people doesn't mean it's useless.
>>
I started to read like 10x more since I bought an ereader, really worth it.
>>
File: 1415409729192.jpg (37 KB, 470x365) Image search: [Google]
1415409729192.jpg
37 KB, 470x365
>>45549194
>You generally won't finish one book in a day

Not all books are door stoppers.
>>
I'm a real pleb with my Kobo Mini. It's so small and light, so it's just that little bit easier to carry around in a pocket and pull out while I'm waiting in line somewhere or whatever.
>>
>>45549046
>>45548808
I see. Thank you for your input. I will need to look at something with possibly a bigger screen that can into PDFs although I doubt I'm talking less than 100USD with that feature list
Hell, might just get the 505 for less demanding content (mango and books like you said)
>>
>>45549264
>literally rushing through the Hyperion series
And you call me a pleb. God forbid you ever read Gene Wolfe, you will unironically think it's shit because the value is in carefully re-reading and evaluating subtle hints in each scene
>>
>most comfortable (weight, finish, balance)
>best battery life
>cheap
>good screen
>kindlegen tool converts any format into mobi

is there a reason to get anything else?
>but muh obscure ereader!1! you can LITERALLY submerge it in a puddle!1So GOOD *devours own shit*

fuck off
>>
>>45549313

You just keep making yourself look even more limited intellectually. Some people might just be able to read faster than you and still understand what they're reading. You can read the first Hyperion volume on a 5 hour train ride. But please, keep believing everyone is just like you.
>>
File: 78456.jpg (84 KB, 700x532) Image search: [Google]
78456.jpg
84 KB, 700x532
>>45549291
>reading anything but doorstoppers
>>
I like the smell of books but I absolutely hate the texture of your average paperbacks pages.
It's like nails on a chalkboard. If my hands are the slightest bit dry every page turn becomes a chore.

I find that when I try and read a paperback I get 20 pages in and stop because I get so irritated that I can't be bothered. If it's a book with higher quality paper, like in a lot of hardbacks, I can read for hours without even thinking about it.

Kindle has made it a lot easier to read.
>>
>>45549330
>cheap
>>
>>45549348
>5 hours
No really, no matter how intelligent you believe you are, you rushed that book. People that literally read novels as fucking data books where they have to get to the next plot revelation are pure fucking cancer

5 hours? What the fuck seriously
>>
>>45549330
kobo Aura HD has amazing dot density.
>>
>>45549306
Look at the Onyx Boox M96, reviews are very positive about it's PDF capabilities. It's expensive for an ereader, but way cheaper than the Sony Digital Paper. If you need to read PDFs that much you're likely using it for work or academics, so maybe a tax write off.
>>
Currently on my third ereader, I prefer physicial books and the ereader is mostly for portability and the fact I can steal books.
>>
>>45549415

It's less than 500 pages mate. You can easily read 100 pages per hour without speed reading. I'm sorry that you can't understand that people read at different speeds.
>>
>>45549503
this, I'm an extremely slow reader and I do 100pg/hr
>>
>>45549415

>not knowing that feel of being immersed in a book and wanting to progress the story

I guess you're a joyless faggot.
>>
>>45549575
Immersion and fast reading are mutually exclusive for me
>>
>>45549503
>rates his intelligence on pages read speed
lol, continue believing you are actually enjoying these books, fucking pleb
If you're reading 100 pages an hour you are not fucking immersed, not even slightly. You are just taking in words. Did you even stop to imagine parts like the simulations of battles like Agincourt? Or were they just pages to be skipped through for you because finding out muh mystery was more important?
I put the book down at tons of points to simply imagine scenes playing out

Kill yourself
>>
>>45547978
>>45547935
>>45547900
>>45547879
I read manga on my kobo pocket
>>
>tfw wouldn't mind an eReader but I already have a MBPr and Nexus 7

I just can't justify an eReader.
>>
>>45549622
>I was so immersed
>harry potter ran down the corridor im totally imagining this its like castle walls or something who cares about the background lol
>when characters interact i literally imagine just them two with a black background becuz then i can focus on them talking im so in teh scene
>lel no i couldnt tell u any of the descriptions of stuff, who cares about that XD
>>
>>45549622

How could you get immersed in a fast paced scene if you read it slowly? I think it depends on the plot situation, some warrant faster reading than others.

>>45549630
>rates his intelligence on pages read speed
I never even said that, I just said you're too stupid to understand that people have differing reading speeds. But I guess you're also too stupid for basic reading comprehension. You not only read slow but fail to understand what you read too?
>continue believing you are actually enjoying these books
So what I'm considering "enjoyment" is actually not enjoyment? Are you the enjoyment police?
>Did you even stop to imagine parts
Do you also have to stop and remember to breathe? Imagination happens automatically while you read. You don't have to stop and force imagination.
>Kill yourself
babby mad
>>
>>45549630
can you literally not comprehend that people are different
I imagine stuff as I read
>>
>>45549671
Yeah I imagine up to a point whilst reading. If I'm powering through the book those images aren't going to be around long, replaced by the next. I really doubt you are actually getting a full grasp of each scene doing this

Actually stopping and imagining the scene at the pace it occurs is how to actually read a book

>babby mad
So basically you're just a dumb speed reading faggot. Good to know, as if I didn't already
>>
File: 1346188530935.jpg (15 KB, 203x251) Image search: [Google]
1346188530935.jpg
15 KB, 203x251
>>45549492
At those pricepoints I'll just read PDFs on my Chinkpad. Damn, why hasn't eink gotten cheaper. I mean, what's so special about it? The only advantage I see is reduced eye strain + dedicated reading device.
Eh, anyway, I think I will get a 505 for my general purpose reading and read PDFs somewhere else. The only pluses for me is that it is a portable reader with a good battery life and the more eye friendly eink
>>
>>45549732

>acting like pace is a universal measure of time
Pace is subjective. What some people consider slow paced is normal pace for others.
>you're just a dumb speed reading faggot
babby really mad. Don't worry, when you grow up you can learn to read fast as well.

Btw, speed reading is about 1500 wpm, while my reading speed is maybe 550 wpm. Your 50 wpm reading speed is not normal.
>>
>>45546710
>>45540965

>wow anon what a nice collection you must be really smart

>wow anon what a nice kindle you have there you must be really smart

What do you fags think a girl is more likely to say if you bring her over to your house
>>
>>45549119
>no light
Fucking Dropped.
>>
>>45549792

That'd depend on the girl.

>grab some girl from South American jungle
>Wow Anon, you got a lot of dry leafy stuff, is it for heating?
>>
>>45549792
I wasn't planning on ever bringing a girl over.

It's not like she'd be impressed by my collection of chinese comic books anyway.
>>
>>45549792

>wow anon this is the best sex I've ever had

That's usually how it goes I swear.
>>
I'm really in doubt what to get. I was eagerly waiting for the new big nexus product, but after reading a couple of reviews, it seems like a hunk of plastic compared to the ipad air 2 and pretty much as the same price point.

I don't really consume that much media, maybe i'd like to browse the web or play your casual game on the can once in a while but that'd be about it.

I need a device I can read on, and I can store some books. I don't travel a lot, and I think I will prefer a bigger size device (8-10"), most of my books are PDF textbooks, some with some rich pictures in them.

I can see the pros and cons of both ways, I'm just really not sure. Is the black and white screen bad for textbooks and shit?
>>
>>45550015
I really like my Nexus 7 for what it's worth. It's 7" though.
>>
>>45541032
> there are people who buy books from Amazon
I have backups of all my important books so even if my Kindle blew up I could just buy another one and get back to where I left off.
>>
>>45550082
What about the aspect ratio thing? Isn't the Nexus 7 16:9 and the new 9 is 4:3

what's best to read on?
>>
>>45549415
you're just not le enlightened intellectual
>>
>>45550126
I haven't had any problems but I don't read on it too often. It has a really nice IPS panel and 1920x1080p resolution so that's good. I really like how narrow it is too; it's super easy to palm and read one handed.
>>
>>45550198
Could you take your stupid somewhere else, please?

We don't want you here.
>>
>>45549395
holy shit, your autism is showing
>quality of pages actually stop you from reading something
fuck, does someone wipe your ass as well?
>>
>>45550545
I'm an android fanboy, but I kinda wish we had ipad tier tablets available to us
>>
>>45550015
fwiw, plastic is a superior material for handheld computers. It's more flexible than metals, lighter, and non-conductive. It can also be naturally non-slip easier than a shiny metal surface.
>>
>>45550603
Why do something for pleasure if it isn't pleasurable?
>>
>>45550635
So Im looking around for them now, it doesn't even look like they have the N7 in stock anymore. And the ipad mini retina is just about the same price
>>
>>45550650
how is turning a page even a factor in enjoying a book?
I mean seriously...
>>
>>45550015
I bought a tablet because I read a lot of textbooks and I disliked reading on my friend's old kindle.

For textbooks, specially pdfs, a tablet is supposed to be better.
>>
>>45531845
This about sums it up. For a while I tried to not carry my kindle where I went and bought hard copies. It wasn't too cumbersome, until I travelled for 3 weeks one summer. The amount of books I normally read while traveling filled up half my carry on (I was visiting family, space wasn't too big a concern). Once I got back I bought the new version (paperwhite?) and only buy hard copies for any standard edition of a book a professor is using in discussions.
>>
>>45550631
Yeah Android tablets with Apple build quality would be nice
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.