[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so, I am going back to school with the fucking kids. I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: Surface-Pro-3.jpg (144 KB, 1210x673) Image search: [Google]
Surface-Pro-3.jpg
144 KB, 1210x673
Ok so, I am going back to school with the fucking kids. I want a good laptop I can take at work and take at school, so it has to have a good battery life.

I don't want a brick either, and handwritten notes. Is the surface 3 the best option?
>>
>>45529881
>so it has to have a good battery life.
>Is the surface 3 the best option?

lol no.
>>
>>45529916
What has a better than 10 hour battery life and isn't an underpowered piece of shit then, shitposter-kun?
>>
>>45530275
your mom is an overpowered piece of meat
>>
>>45530640
you're an underpowered autistic pre-teen
>>
>>45529881
Acer C720
>>
>>45530887
>Acer C720
Who in their right fucking mind would buy this steaming pile of shit.

I need to use windows software like anyone that has a job and/or want to be productive.
>>
>Surface
Yeah.
A competitor to it is the Dell Latitude 13 2-in-1 (E7350). The pen is separate though.
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/list-of-windows-8-and-rt-tablets-and-convertibles-with-stylus.52592/
Here's a list you can choose from.
The better ones are the ones with the intel core i's.
>>
>>45529881
A friend of mine here at uni has a sony vaio flip 13, it's pretty good, more ports than the SP3 (but also bulkier), but they were discontinued so that's something to keep in mind...
>>
>>45529881
I've used the Surface Pro 3s at work. They are great devices, but windows 8 is a pain to use in touch-screen-only mode. You expect it to work like an ipad (eg keyboard appearing when you tap in a text box), but it just doesn't.
I would buy one for myself for internet browsing / general fucking around on a computer duties but probably not for a device where I had to type shit in all day.
Have you considered a low end ultrabook (or even a macbook air) instead?
>>
>>45531235
Well I actually looked at

>>45531108
I don't see any competition in this price range. I am Canadian, so with that in mind the prices for some company are just not even close. Right now I can get student pricing(-10%) Paypal (-5%), Redflagdeals(-2%).

so ~875$ for the smallest surface pro 3 with a type cover. I looked up the benchmark for i3 vs i5, there's literally no point in getting the i5. The only gripe I have is only fucking 64gb hdd. But I won't install much and use a sd card for media.
>>
>>45531346
OP here, I know the pain of using it as touch screen as I own a Dell Venue Pro 8. However, on the other hand, using it with the stylus is a treat for me.

I tried the Surface 1 long ago, and actually returned it because it was a fucking brick. This one weight 800g, compared to 2 fucking pounds on the surface 1. My small as fuck dell venue pro 8 is 400g and it's nothing.

It's just that for only 875, I have something that has no compromise at all. And being a fucking microsoft laptop, I would expect fast windows 10 drivers. God knows how many digitizer laptop don't get decent updates and shit's all broken.
>>
>>45530640
That's what your mom said bout my dick m8
>>
>>45531415
If you're happy with Windows 8 on a touchscreen device, get a surface pro 3. It's bigger and heavier than an iPad, but that's the worst thing I can say about the hardware. Performance is great, the display is really nice and the build quality is fantastic. The only real competitor is the Lenovo Yoga 3.
>>
>>45531346
Yeah, the reason some textboxes don't work is because Windows doesn't have a unified GUI framework. A lot of people roll their own GUIs, and so the onscreen keyboard won't detect that you've tapped a textbox.
You have to swipe in from the right edge, press the keyboard and turn on the touch keyboard.
I just have a ThinkPad Tablet 2 with the bluetooth keyboard. It's more convenient, but bluetooth a shit.
>>
A thinkpad......
Cant believe no one suggested it yet.
>>
>>45531558
You can't suggest a thinkpad anymore.

Especially to a Canadian.
>>
>>45531235
>sony vaio
RIP
>>
Surface pro 3 = like $1200
Pen and paper = like $1

Are you going to school so you can eventually make more money?
It seems to me like you need to learn how to manage the money you have first.

What you want is to take notes in a classroom. you dont need to worry about battery life or windows 8. just write them down on paper like everybody else.

protip: 8/10 college students using their computers in lecture are NOT doing anything related to the class on it. they ARE distracting the people around them.

Man FUCK this captcha google, really. Why would you even ask if I'm a robot, its a fucking checkbox! Why would a bot not check that box, too? not that it seems to make any difference
>>
>>45531353
>thinks i3 is okay when i5 & i7 available
>>
>>45531684
It's literally a requirement. Might as well use it to get more out of it. You're probably like in your 20's, you don't have to lecture me.

>>45531765
Look up the benchmark. I'm not paying absurd money for an i7, and i3 vs i5 is barely noticeable.
>>
>>45531894
>It's literally a requirement. Might as well use it to get more out of it. You're probably like in your 20's, you don't have to lecture me.

A convertible tablet is part of your enrollment requirements? or just a laptop over $1000? Or does it specifically have to be a windows machine? You realize this is 4chan? I'm probably under 12 and you posted here asking if the surface 3 was the best option for you to take school notes on!
not only is the surface 3 a windows rt tablet (aka its not a laptop, you cant use it like a laptop), its the most expensive way I can think of to take school notes.

>I'm not paying absurd money for an i7, and i3 vs i5 is barely noticeable.
HA, you'd be paying absurd money for either of those three processors if you buy them installed in a microsoft surface.

What'chu think this is nigger? OP suggests what he wants and everybody builds support group around that? you've picked a SHIT laptop if your requirements are those of a normal student. you'll be paying about 400% more than you should be

What about when your tablet gets jacked in the first week? because it IS the most desirable tablet model on the market, and they're fucking expensive. Your average student tech thief would snag a MS surface any day over an apple computer
>>
>>45532299
Are you like... legit retarded?

No, I'm serious.
>Surface 3 is a windows rt tablet
No, it's not.
>Over 1k$
No, it's not.
>Absurd money to have an i3 processor installed or whatever
What?
>Someone stealing my shit
This is Canada. People are not savages.
>Student tech thief
? What are you even fucking blabbering about

This gets the seal of the most retarded post I've seen in a long time.
>>
>>45529881
I get good battery life out of mine. Not doing anything too taxing on the battery and it can last me 8 hours.

Also if you are going to buy from a retail store (i went to bestbuy) mention the microsoft student discount, they knocked off $100 for me.
>>
File: it's shit.jpg (60 KB, 412x539) Image search: [Google]
it's shit.jpg
60 KB, 412x539
>>45529881
not pic related. it's shit. get a macbook air or retina macbook pro.
>>
>>45533106
>I want handwritten notes
>get the MacBook air or retina MacBook pro
so not only are you a shill, but you're a shill that apparently can't read?

At least you have your shiny facebook machine I guess...
>>
File: an act.jpg (1 MB, 680x1671) Image search: [Google]
an act.jpg
1 MB, 680x1671
>>45532299
>thinks anyone was talking about the Surface 3
You're just being retarded and argumentative on purpose. Nobody is this stupid.
>>
>>45533200
the "surface 3" isn't even a thing... as in - it doesn't exist.

The RT line stopped with the 2, only the pro got a third iteration.
>>
>>45533193
kek
>>
just because the schools 'requires' you to have a laptop doesnt mean for a second you need it in something like a fucking math class or some bullshit. handwritten notes? use a piece of paper because the off chance you are getting something you need to write down like that it is better just to use paper. you can scan them later on if you try to be tough and make everything digital.

why do all surface threads use the same picture, and always end with the same general 'is it the best option'? i mean shit these threads ALL start out the same
>>
>>45533858
>scan them
Yeah, that has about the same chance of me going over my old projects and refactoring the code.
>>
>>45534002
then look at them on paper you dumb shit. the thing wont even last through more than 2 classes so you will have to be plugging in. much better to just get a laptop
>>
>>45534042
My current laptop (Sony, may they RIP in peace) barely lasts a class period though, so I'm usually stuck with the charging cable.
I take notes faster with a keyboard, even for math classes when I'm using LaTeX.
>>
>>45534002
>clearly never used a camerphone to photograph notes.

new phones produce crystal clear readable digital copies in seconds

Smartphone + pen and paper is way more useful than a tablet laptop. so many things you just cant write with a laptop, or even a pen input computer.
>>
>>45531765

Yeah its great when you pay out the ass for slow ulv i5/i7s when all they do is suck battery and throttle under the simplest work loads.
>>
>>45534810
>pen input
>can't write
Name one thing you can write with a pen and paper that you can't with a fucking digitizer.
>smartphone more useful than a real computer
Oh, you're 12. Never mind.
>>
>>45534949
>a receipt to give to somebody else
>a message to post somewhere, or leave somebody
>can write on objects that dont have digitizers
>can fill in physical forms or worksheets without batteries.
>>
>>45535752
>implying you'd be doing any of those things for class
>>
>>45530943
Wow. First suggestion and we get this. Already this train has derailed.
>>
>>45529881
It's good for a lightweight laptop. Win 8 UI can be quite wonky at times, though.
It's amazing for reading books/textbooks/papers/comics.
My experience so far is that it's so-so for taking notes. I still prefer pen and paper by far.

Overall: Good as a second laptop, not sure if I want it to be my primary computer.
>>
I'm going to get a Macbook Air.

>win7 pc
>not fan of win8
>inb4 faggot
>>
>>45529881
Get a laptop that actually functions as a tablet instead of a tablet that fails at being a laptop
>>
>>45529881
just bring an audio recorder to record the lectures
>>
>>45530887
Intel Celeron 2955U Dual-core 1.40 GHz

huehuehue
>>
>>45536183
It'll make a nice-looking paperweight for your vacation house, since you obviously never need to work and don't play games.
>>
>>45529881
Lurk more.
>>
>>45534859
my SP3 with an i5 has never throttled under use with the exception of bench mark tests
>>
>>45536280
Excuse me, dear nigger, are you being sarcasm?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.