[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/ I have to install windows on my mom's new computer.(she
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: xpspyware.jpg (148 KB, 801x603) Image search: [Google]
xpspyware.jpg
148 KB, 801x603
Hello /g/
I have to install windows on my mom's new computer.(she doesn't want ubuntu...). How to avoid self install malwares, junkwares, etc...? Any dns ? Software ?

Thanks
>>
>>45524929
Install gentoo.

Make her think it's windows
>>
>>45524929
Max up UAC, and give her a non-admin account.
>>
you cant'
force her to install ubuntu, show her lots of alternative DEs. IMO, LXDE is the closer one to XP in terms of looks, KDE is good too
>>
>>45524929
>doesn't want ubuntu
>wants to avoid malware
>>
>>45524960
>>45524957
"Muh photoshop" she said.
>>
>>45524929
>How to avoid self install malwares, junkwares, etc...?

Are you installing pirated Windows? Tell her that, say the police can find out or something.

Other than that, tell her not click on ads or open e-mail attachments.

Tell her ubuntu is like Mac or try to push elementary OS
>>
adblock and hosts file
>>
>>45524974
can't you wine photoshop?
>>
>>45524974
tell her about freedum, show her gimp
>>
>>45524981
Even if she gets a genuine Windows copy, she'll get malware anyway. Interwebnets is a dark place.
>>
>>45524974
use virtual machines
>>
You can't OP, short of giving her read-only access to everywhere but her home folder.
>>
>>45524995
>>45525015
>New pc + Not a mac (for Photoshop) = Shitty cheap pc

Her last laptop was full of shits in only 3 day.

I'll try with adblock & hosts files
>>
Hello, I've posted the solution already.
Kindly read the whole thread.
>>45524947
>>
Ghost her drive so every week it's a 10 minute restore.
>>
>>45524995
why does your mom need photoshop? i highly doubt anyone that old & incompetent with tech who uses ps for their profession doesn't own a mac.
>>
>>4552505
>>only legitimate answer
>>
>>45524929
genuine windows 8.1
don't install any shitty antivirus, the default one is good
don't install java acrobatreader or flash player addons (no need for an other browser)
configure it so that she can't install them
put glue in all the usb ports so that she won't plug an infected key
secured shit
>>
>>45525071
Honestly... I don't fuckin' know. She's weird.

>>45525053
Nice solution.
I'll mix it with >>45525092

Thanks Anons
>>
>>45524929
Just install windows. Malware/viruses really aren't a big problem with Windows these days. It should be pretty simple and easy.
>>
Install Xubuntu and say it's windows
>>
>>45524929
install linux mint

she will like it more

also dont force her on firefox, just give her chrome
>>
>>45525053
>anon this computer won't let me do anything. It keeps telling me something about an administrator.
>anon why can't I install this game?
>"Oh, I don't know. Anon did something with my computer and it keeps doing this weird thing. I can't get into anything...hold on I'll call him"

There is literally nothing you can do other than give her admin access and image the drive before the PC gets fucked up.
>>
for fucks sake create an admin account

with a limited user account for her daily use

it's the only way
>>
>>45524929
Give her no root permission.
>>
just force ubuntu down on her. Just tell her "i cant install windows it doesnt work" make her use shitgmp
>>
>>45524929
Guest account so she can't install spyware, Chromium x64 with uBlock with all features enabled, uMatrix in a ALLOW ALL/BLOCK EXCEPTIONALLY config, but properly configured, and Https everywhere.
>>
>>45525092
>put glue in all the usb ports so that she won't plug an infected key
don't forget to jizz on the DVD laser
>>
>>45524929
> not wanting to win a free lobster dinner
>>
>>45524957

or you could just not be a faggot and put windows on her computer like she wants
>>
I have had great luck with adblock plus/edge + noscript
>>
>>45524947

I've done this for a machine before, and it worked fine, although I just didn't give them the admin password. If something absolutely needs to get installed, they have to ask for my permission (which rarely if ever happens) and that's the end of it. I've set it up so that certain programs can update without needing admin, like firefox and flash, but that's about it. As such, I rarely if ever have to attend to it and no malware browser toolbars are installed. Shit's great.
>>
>>45527568
>+ noscript
what?
this is the worst fucking idea

>"anon, why doesn't x site work?"
>>
>>45527701
True.
>>
>>45524929
give her all the software she needs and then some so she doesnt have to install anything
firefox,flash,adblock,silverlight,office,drivers,vlc,cleaner,pidgin,email client,pdf reader,decent image editor,dropbox? thats about it?
worst comes to worse can just grab nod32 or w/e to clean naughties then get rid of
>>
Unchecky. Stops all that shovelware garbage by unclicking the "I agree to install RapeComputer" boxes, and prompts when you choose to "accept" similar things. Good for stupid users. Probably not perfect, but it helps.
>>
Install Mint, or Debian with IceWM and the win95 theme.
>>
chrome + ublock + windows defender + automatic updates
>>
>>45524957
>>45524997
>>45525177
>>45525015
>>45525263
>>45531274
How about he just gives her the OS she fucking wants instead of forcing/tricking her?

Since when was freedom about forcing people to use GNU/Linux when they don't fucking want to? I say this as a GNU/Linux user myself

If all she knows is Windows and she dosent want to learn let he fucking stick with it, don't force the change
>>
>>45531351
Because that would be like giving your teenage son cigarettes when you know better.
>>
>>45531381
Do you think she really wants to spend time learning a new OS? I know Mint is pretty much Windows Lite, but she still probably wouldn't like it as much as what she's comfortable with

That's just how old folks are
>>
>>45531475
I just now taught my grandmother how to use the built-in spellchecker on her web browser. I doubt any old person is used to Windows enough to develop baby duck syndrome like wintards and archfags have.
>>
Web of trust can help
>>
>>45531538
Windows is easier to use in every way to any Linux distribution and is also compatible with more hardware and peripherals with minimal issues.
>>
>>45531351
How about the bitch install it herself if she wants shit
>>45532589
bullshit
>>
>>45532589
>has never actually used a Linux distribution
That said my grandmother's refusal to buy another printer leaves me with little hope of actually installing a decent OS on her machine.
>>
>>45524929
you cant, best bet is to set it up once then make a restore img of said setup. Once you need to re-install again, just use your restore instead.
>>
Do an image-based backup. Tech-averse people will never learn, so don't even bother.

I just do what schools and businesses do. Nuke and restore.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.