[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long until it pops, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12
File: bubble.jpg (624 KB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
bubble.jpg
624 KB, 5184x3456
How long until it pops, /g/?
>>
>>45501396
until I pop your mom pussy
>>
>>45501396
>Uber is now valued at more than the entire taxi industry combined
>it's just a smartphone app
>>
>>45501839
Really?
How the fuck do people make this kind of money?
Why do I have to slave away at a 9 year long degree just to get a shot at maybe making a decent living.
I've lived in NYC my whole life and somehow my neighborhood is now apparently the most expensive place to buy a home in america. Where the hell do hipsters get this sort of money?
If I can afford to live off expensive fast food everyday by growing a shitty beard and wearing a gay scarf I'll fucking do it.
/rant
>>
>>45501396
bitcoins?
>>
>>45502111
>make

if i tell you my shoes are worth 1 billion, would you buy them? do i have 1 billion?
>>
>>45502111
>How the fuck do people make this kind of money?
They're like a slightly more intelligent version of entertainment personalities. Thanks to the internet, cyber-hipsters are really good at telling other people about how smart they are, even if what they do is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>45502176
I hate using white privilege bullshit as an excuse butni doubt I can do that.
Doesn't help that I'm the most rated race and religion in the fucking world and I usually have to prove against stereotypes with every new person I meet.
I bet even /g/ would hate me if this were real life
>>
>>45502327
Why do you think /g/ is racist? Just because we mostly don't like SJWs? Idgaf what color/religion/gender you are.
>>
>>45502606
Thanks anon.
But that usually isn't the popular opinion in the world
Being a sandmonkey STEM major is suffering
>>
>>45501422
rekt
>>
>>45501839
>valued at
Doesn't mean it's worth that much, or that there's anyone willing to pay that much given the opportunity to buy. All "valued at $x" means is that people (read: mass media) are currently experiencing x amount of hype about it.
>>
File: sheeeet.gif (3 MB, 180x175) Image search: [Google]
sheeeet.gif
3 MB, 180x175
>facebook valued at $200 billion
>snapchat valued at $10 billion
>uber valued at $40 billion
>>
>>45502783
>facebook bought whatsapp for $20 billion
kek
>>
>>45502770
It means you have more worthy assets bro.
And that means you can take out bigger bank loans to buy actual assets with.
>>
>>45502783
Yeah, I don't understand company values much less product values most of the time.

Where does the money come from to support such values?

I don't think our planet has enough trees to compensate for all these extremely high dubious values of some of these tech or app companies.

It is honestly kind of depressing.
>>
I bet the Jews did this
>>
Fun fact:

Facebook's $21 billion acquisition of Whatsapp would have been equivalent to buying five space shuttles after adjusting for inflation.
>>
>>45502935
Fun fact, everything about technology is cancerous right now.
>>
File: 1363702706171.png (84 KB, 1653x782) Image search: [Google]
1363702706171.png
84 KB, 1653x782
>
>>
File: euphoria_enlightenment.png (94 KB, 485x294) Image search: [Google]
euphoria_enlightenment.png
94 KB, 485x294
this goes to show you how much people value stupid shit. I know this sounds like I'm stroking my own ego but have you ever felt that small feeling like "yeah the mass media is fucking retarded" but then you instantly shoot it down because you think everyone feels that way. Yeah... they don't. They're fucking retarded and even on /g/ the average person is light years ahead of the general public that uses "puters to upload muh pics to book face."

My goal starting out in programming and creating software was to help the medical field but I develop a lump in my throat thinking about how skewed venture capital is these days. If you're not making an app that caters to the gay community, vegan community, or social justice warrior community then you're absolutely fucked. If your app has any sort of intellectual depth then you can fuck off with your idea of ever being funded.

I know I sound like a complete fucking fedora right now but this topic just fucking rustles my jimmies too hard. I mean computer science and mathematics students from top universities are going to work for fucking instagram and twitter. Think about that for a second. Some of the brightest people in the USA are working for companies that perpetuate the sharing of butthole pics with the hash tag #YoloDoe

pic related: It's how I feel after typing this.
>>
>>45502856
Yes, what assets do facebook actually own? A couple of server rooms, employees and offices. Nowhere near $200 billion. Of course there's data, but if facebook's data were put up for auction, you'd find that it's not really worth much.

Again, valuation is hype.
>>
>>45503088
fedora too tight there
>>
>>45502875
Protip: most of the money in the economy doesn't exist, i.e., it is neither backed up by real assets or currency. It's backed up with debt.

Yes, you should be afraid.
>>
>>45503113
IT'S A TRILBY
>>
>>45503102
And that hype can produce a shit load of money.
It really pisses me off
>>
>>45503215
More like
>acquire a bunch of money that was indirectly stolen from the public thanks to the Fed's QE program
>>
>>45503393
Either way it's easy money.
If you don't perform a meaningful service to society you don't deserve your paycheck.
>>
>>45502637
Don't stratify yourself.
Stop hanging out only with people of the same race and religion, assimilate with the country, and people won't hate you.
At my uni, I don't know anyone that hates this saudi arabian guy because he doesn't seem like a fucking immigrant.
Stop acting like an immigrant and no one will hate you.
>>
>>45501422
it's so loose it's more of a wet squishing sound, like wringing out a sponge
>>
>>45503446
I'm not.
I have a qt corean gf and top grades in my major. Its just that I always see this little hint of "you'll never amount to anything anyway" in peoples eyes.
I was born and raised in Brooklyn btw
>>
>>45503482
human nature can be quite cruel.
>>
>>45503482
Sounds like its in your head...
>>
It isn't fair that I'm going to be working until retirement and people who put a chat client on your phone (a wheel that has been reinvented since the beginning of time) can wipe their butts with facebux.

I live modestly and I truly like my job, but I just can't imagine working for the rest of my life. When do you get to enjoy yourself?
>>
>>45503482
BOO FUCKING HOO get over yourself nigger
>>
File: 1343631900256.png (318 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1343631900256.png
318 KB, 500x281
>>45503439
time and time again I see the most awful people acquiring success for meaningless contributions to society
>>
>>45503570
I will when I get respect equal to the amount of work I do, not my race.
Black people have it hard, but us sandies have it way worse.
>>
>>45502111
>>45502875
>>45503088
>>45503439
>>45503567

Company value is the expected value of all future profits.

E.g. Google doesn't pay dividends but it keeps growing and creating new products and services, so people believe that its capacity for future dividends justifies its share price.

The market is fair, you should take some econ courses if you don't understand how the market works. Most of econ is just showing that our intuition that if A is willing to pay a certain amount for a good, then B deserves the profit they get from selling that good to A. All econ theory does is show that at a large scale, this intuition still holds.

Sorry you aren't all rich, but the reason you aren't rich is because you aren't producing that much value.
>>
File: not a fucking thing.png (48 KB, 757x419) Image search: [Google]
not a fucking thing.png
48 KB, 757x419
>>45503643
>Sorry you aren't all rich, but the reason you aren't rich is because you aren't producing that much value.
Hey look, it's this guy again.
>>
>>45503626
>Black people have it hard, but us sandies have it way worse.

fucking self loathing victim complex faggot. stop being such a bitch
>>
>>45503665
no idea why you think that's me (it isn't).

I'm happy with my salary and not interested in startups or business right now. I'm just saying what I think is true about the economy.
>>
>>45503626
if you really get as many dirty looks as you say you do you must wear full terrorist gear on a daily basis and have weird practices (i.e. kneeling in the middle of a crowded area to pray to allah or whatever."

This is America bro, we don't do that shit. You're free to do whatever you want but if you perform actions out of the realm of normality for Americans, expect to get a funny look.
>>
>>45503643
>because you aren't producing that much value.
Plenty of wage slave create great ideas that are pitched to management and turn into products and services and then they have the skill to work on the project and follow up. They see insane revenue gains, but they are still stuck in their salary because they didn't do it in their own startup.

And although whatsapp provides monetary value because of braindead tweens, it isn't valuable in any other ways other than having a ton of users.
>>
>>45503738
>wow, the economy rewards risk takers!
Yes. Risk takers and skilled participants. The ideas guy "wage slaves" don't tend to have the skills necessary to make up for their lack of raw capital, so any 1xE^-11% chance they would have had of ever seeing an idea through to completion isn't there. It's called the funnel of innovation for a reason.

That said, most of these companies are way overvalued, imo.
>>
>>45503738
People who have a major impact on a company tend to be well compensated for it. Not as much as if they had started their own startup, for sure, but a lot more than if they hadn't taken the initiative. In fact, the idea of pitching an idea to management is not very realistic. More likely, a project started small and grew big. But as it grew, the person who started it would get credit for the project, and probably stay as its leader.

>And although whatsapp provides monetary value because of braindead tweens, it isn't valuable in any other ways other than having a ton of users.

You should question the people who characterize teens as "braindead". Most of them are either conservatives who have been criticizing the new generation for the last 200 years, or are leftists who are trying to shame young people into focussing on social justice instead of enjoying life.
>>
World is transitioning into cyber-society. There won't be a bubble pop. Soon, machine learning and web of things will turn economy upside down.

tfw programmers will be the gods
>>
File: 1377561021675.png (146 KB, 948x543) Image search: [Google]
1377561021675.png
146 KB, 948x543
>>45503834
>learn to program or starve!
>>
File: New Paradigm!.png (40 KB, 875x568) Image search: [Google]
New Paradigm!.png
40 KB, 875x568
>>45503834
>>
>>45503878
Well half of service jobs will be automated
>>
>>45503928
Wrong field.

Engineers make automation. Programmers make shitty apps.
>>
>>45503948
lel

>engineers creating convolutional networks with rulers

topkek

pls educate urself
>>
>>45504036
Try cooking a hamburger with your big data.

Or for that matter solve any real world problem.
>protip: you can't
>>
>>45504076
imblying engineering ever solved any real problems

ayy lmao
>>
File: 1417431060200.gif (529 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1417431060200.gif
529 KB, 625x626
>>45504261
What are you typing on?
>>
>>45504076

Almost done, bro.

http://www.gizmag.com/hamburger-machine/25159/
>>
>>45501396
that buble is in balance between the internal and external pressures.

It will pop when the thin water surface get in contact with anything
>>
>>45502637
Blah blah blah. Try being black in the tech industry. When/if I start my owl tech startup, I know to hire a white guy to deal with clients in person.
>>
>>45503809
I'm a liberal 23 year old. I grew up with braindead tweens as did you most likely.
>>
>>45504402

I'm black. What issues have you had? I've had none.
>>
>>45503116
I like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/v/iFDe5kUUyT0

What do you think?
>>
File: 1352223507965.jpg (67 KB, 320x278) Image search: [Google]
1352223507965.jpg
67 KB, 320x278
yfw
>>
>>45503809
SJWs are mostly an internet and university thing.
>>
File: neat.jpg (81 KB, 662x579) Image search: [Google]
neat.jpg
81 KB, 662x579
>>45504481
>>
>>45504455
I had a long response but android ui crashed along with the Clover app.
>>
iFone users are pretty good goys.
>>
>>45504461
Thanks anon.
>>
Apparently Uber shills are raiding HN

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8711284
>>
File: no thank you.jpg (135 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
no thank you.jpg
135 KB, 800x800
I hate "tech" so much. Everything about it and everything involved with it is shit. What a worthless, cocksucking world we chose to be born into.
>>
with the tsunami of non asiatic minorities AND women of all ages economic backgrounds learning to code its gonna burst allrite.

programming will eventually become like art and math; anyone can do it for a hobby, prodigies/auties will make it a career, an entreprenuer will innovate and get rich, and philisophical movements will take place
>>
>>45506340
>learning to code

That's a very blanket statement. I think the general public will become more aware of what coding is and perhaps even learn to do simple shit like "hello world" programs but I highly doubt they would be able to stick with it past the initial learning. Once programming starts getting difficult or mathematical, the SJW's and hipster faggots will be scared off.
>>
>>45503088
what does #yolodoe mean?
>>
Hold on, what app are we all talking about? What bubble?
>>
>>45506488
Yeah but not the 3rd worlders
>>
>>45506488

just to let yall know,

one day in the future, there will be a bob ross of programming, with an afro, neckbeard, and a soothing deep voice and all, using a 30 min tv slot to write programs in various comp langs!!!
>>
>>45506619
god I hope so. That would be badass.
>>
>>45501396
For a second I thought this was a chocolate milk thread.
>>
WHAT BUBBLE

WHAT IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT

I FEEL LIKE I JUST WALKED INTO A ROOM OF CRAZY PEOPLE TALKING NONSENSE THAT ISN'T REAL

WHAT THE HELL IS ALL OF THIS WHAT DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT
>>
>>45506767
it begins
>>
Too long.
>>
>>45506797
what fucking begins
>>
>>45506887
Read the thread.

>shitty websites and apps are getting hundreds of billions of dollars in investment
>>
>>45506900
I got that but it really seems like something in particular happened.

And uber seems like a decent enough idea. I mean, it kinda reflects the "everything is about me and my phone and my consumerism" thing going on but I don't get what the problem is exactly.

like >>45503088 doesn't seem to fit a company that is just trying to one-up the classical taxi.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.