[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retro Thread: Apple ][ Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Who out there is playing with their based Apple ][s? Any model. I need to nostalgia.
>>
>>45487170
Nobody cares, macfag.
>>
>>45487188
Protip: It's not a Mac, goatse.
>>
Mine broke. My collections still small. Have a functional TRASH-80 and a functional ZX Spectrum, 8 or 9 broken iconic home computers that I have a good idea of what's wrong, my Apple ][ being one of them. I have an Altair 8800 that's completely FUBAR.

My dream is to fix or have fixed all of those and then buy a minicomputer or some bread
>>
>>45487282
I'm actually looking to make my own reproduction Altair, only kits I can find are awful emulator in cases

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/altair/d/88opman.pdf

tells you literally everything you could want to know about it

It's so fucking cool to see a computer manual from the days when just operating them took lots of prerequisite knowledge.

When the hacker community was kept free of idiots and lusers because of the skill barrier.
>>
>>45487373
The Internet used to be that way as well.
>>
>>45487443
It sure did, honestly wish I had never experienced at all, instead of coming on the cusp of its commercialization and seeing it get taken away.
>>
>>45487373
Yeah look at this MIT hacker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjilaoJWsms#t=343

But I get your point, learning how to use a computer was a hobby onto itself
>>
>>45487543
>>45487373

the hacker community is still very alive and well, go to a lug or a hackerspace, join sdf, participate in the open source community, it's still all there with proportionately as many members as it had in the day, relatively unchanged, and I don't think it will change, as the most fervent members and the strongest sticklers to the ``old ways'' are the younger members, myself included. of course there will be more stories of the old days because that's the origin and it's still around, we're living in what is still around 50AD for the community, if you will. In the long, long run, we're just as much founders as the original members of the model rail club, of the timesharing communities, of the short-wave radio communities and of the early microcomputer hobbyist and phreaker communities.

enjoy your rich heritage
>>
I pared down my collection to a //c and IIGS. I hope the floppies didn't go bad, probably haven't touched them in over a decade.
>>
>>45487679
Depending on conditions the probably wouldn't have, but if that software isn't archived anywhere I would get that somewhere safe, and use a trash floppy drive to read them because they're good for one use, if you say you haven't used them in that long, and then they go brittle and break apart. Depending on conditions it's possible that they've already become brittle, so I wouldn't use them on my period hardware, I'd get whats on them off if need be and then just use a more recent floppy to transfer data
>>
Funny how the Appple II lasted for a decade while today's apple products are replaced every 8 months
>>
>>45487630
They're still hobbyists. That's fine, I don't care. They wrote a program to do what they want. They're hackers as far as I'm concerned.

It's all these unideal programs people deal with because they don't know how to write something better, and don't have the ability to improve it even if they had the skill to.
>>
>>45487635
Is Stallman Jesus in the parallel?
>>
>>45487853
yes
>>
WOW!
>>
>>45487282
If it doesn't work, take a day and gently reseat any socketed chips, Anon. (You probably already know that, but for any Anons who acquire similar hardware on the cheap and who want to try and get it running: first, connectors/cables between large componenets like motherboard/power supply, second, reseat any edge cards, third, reseat all socketed chips)
>>
>>45487796
That's pretty much goes for all tech, not just Apple.

Also, Apple is pretty much the only consumer computer company from the microcomputer revolution that's still around making hardware.
Atari: dead
Commodore: dead
Tandy: dead
IBM: sold that shit to Lenovo
>>
>>45489850
It's planned obsolescence a build your own PC is the best route.
>>
there are no nostalgic computers you can browse 4chan with
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>45490389
You're wrong
>>
>>45487170
>muh hipster garbade
>>
File: IMG_1861.jpg (229 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1861.jpg
229 KB, 1000x750
Sorry I'm late.

From last night, Battle Chess on the Apple IIGS and Frogger on the Apple IIe Platinum.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.