[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How mathematically literate are you?It's really necessary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: mathematics.jpg (37 KB, 530x325) Image search: [Google]
mathematics.jpg
37 KB, 530x325
How mathematically literate are you?It's really necessary be good at math to become a nice programmer?
>>
Complete shit.
Without my calculator I can't even make simple divisions
>>
>>45468214

My degree is in Physics, so my maths skills are pretty good. Ultimately it depends what sort programming you're going to be doing, it's more necessary in some areas than others. The skills are particularly useful when developing algorithms or doing optimisation. It's never a disadvantage, put it that way.
>>
>>45468214
I'm okay at math. Trying to become better.
>become a good programmer
Lol I'm IT
>>
I took AP Calculus II in high school and passed with a 5 on the test.

In 'murrica this is very good. Got best senior in math awards from my school and district.
>>
>>45468259
BUT ARE YOU REALLY "The IT"?
>>
>>45468281
Well how are you doing in university? Not to belittle your accomplishments or anything, but AP calculus is small-time.
>>
>>45468251
How should I teach myself programming? I'm a physics and math double major, and classes take up almost all of my time.
>>
A certain amount of mathematical intuition is required, but mental calculation skills are not.
>>
Anyone ever learned calculus from a book?
>>
Pretty good, and getting better as CS has quite a lot of maths, programming doesn't have that much so far though.
>>
>>45468520
I think everyone has.
>>
>>45468520
yup. taught myself when i was 14ish. haven't really been interested in it since.
>>
I wish I had majored in Math or Physics, or at least had been more interested in Math when I was in high school. Spent too much time thinking I'd be a lawyer LOL
>>
>>45468281
>tfw took AP Calc 1 and got a 5
>tfw Hs never offered Calc2 so I had a year with no math
>>
I got fucked my murrican schooling

>middle school (grade 8) makes you take a placement test for highschool, B or better you get in the higher level course
>get a D on the placement test
good enough for the school apparently
>Have no fucking clue whats going on, but keep getting shunted through to the next high level math because I got D's
>do this all the way calculus 2 in college and get my shit pushed in

I wish I could have learned at a level actually suitable for me
>>
I am seriously so bad at Maths. Not even kidding. I struggle to factorise equations.
>>
>>45468615
My school only offered AP Calc AB, but I asked them to provide Calc BC one year for me and they let me do it.
I then took some classes at a nearby university that was barely a step above community college, but at least it had a math department
>>
File: 1231130557762.jpg (224 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
1231130557762.jpg
224 KB, 500x465
I have a degree in comprehensive mathematics. If you can't do algebra, then your parents probably didn't read to you or touch you when you were a baby. Following logical processes is what sets us apart from animals.

And yes, programming and mathematics and strongly related.
>>
>>45468214
I don't think it's about being good at math or how much math you can do. Some forms of programming require a lot of math naturally, but some just benefit immensely if you understand and are able to apply the concepts surrounding higher math,

I think I'm considered a decent programmer, good enough to be hired by a very well known company, but computation is not my strong point. I barely passed calculus!
>>
File: tumblr_nfzn75QNWG1qh8pbno3_500.png (137 KB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfzn75QNWG1qh8pbno3_500.png
137 KB, 500x454
>sucked at math in high school
>graduated with a B in pre-calc
>currently pulling my slack in community college, have to take 4-5 math classes in order to transfer
My sister took AP Calc BC in high school and transfered out of community in a year and a half. For all the underageb&s on /g/ currently slacking it in math, kick it into high gear if you ever intend on succeeding in life.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
>>45468281
>tfw failed Precalc A in HS
>>
>>45468214
I'm average. No you don't need to be good at math to be a good programmer, but you need the same kind of logical thinking that you'd need to be good at solving math problems.
>>
>>45469029
this.

thankfully i got out of community college though. good luck man. fight.
>>
>>45468520
my teachers were incompetent, taught myself calc , econ, and gov shit and scored 5 on APs without taking the classes. definitely possible, but it wont be easy
>>
The people making good money working at Google etc. and earning a good wage are all very good at math.

The idiotic codemonkeys making crappy money are shit at math.

If you aren't good at math, you won't be a good programmer. FUCKING FACT.
>>
>>45469064
Nothing makes succeeding more difficult than being surrounded by failiures, which is a big thing I hate in community college. Everyone there is depressed, smoking two packs of cigarettes a day, or always high-strung on adderall. There are people in my Math 3a class who are old enough to be my parents.
>>
>>45469094
>implying I want to work at google
>>
>>45469098
it's much worse being surrounded by people who are extremely gifted.. the suicide rate in my school is very high.
>>
>>45469140
I mean anything better than a shit job you utter dumb cunt. Google was an example. Do they not teach what 'etc.' means over there at Compton Community College for negro faggots?
>>
>>45469140
>not embracing the botnet
>>
>>45469094
Being a good programmer is far from a requirement to making money in software development, especially since the least paid roles are that of programmers.
>>
>>45469170
I don't want a stressful google-tier job. I want a comfy little dev position in an established firm.
>>
>>45469249
You can only get that in India
>>
>>45468214
>It's really necessary be good at math to become a nice programmer?

It depends. You don't need a lot of mathematical knowledge, but there's a reason all CS and derivate courses have a certain amount of math disciplines. Programming involves a similar tpye of thinking to that of solving math problems, so yeah, I guess if you are really hopeless at math you'll never be a good programmer.
>>
>>45469249
google isnt stressful m8
>>
>>45468214
I was never very good at the highly formalized and abstract math they teach you as a CS major but knowledge of Number Theory, Graph Theory, Complexity Theory and Linear Algebra are EXTREMELY helpful later on.
What I didn't really need later on was the excessive amount of logic theory they taught us (I haven't used more than simple boolean logic, as in implications, iff, &|! and xor) and mathematical analysis (I guess you could call it differential and integral calculus in America) but that might be because I don't really work in simulation or other areas where you would need approximations of stuff.
>>
>>45469249
>I meant anything other than a shit-tier job

Can you read?

Also, I doubt anyone here is able to offer a good retort to the FACT that the type of intelligence required for math is the exact same kind required for programming. It's just facts, retard.
>>
>>45469247
You know what I mean you dipshit. Programmer, engineer whatever, they're all fucking programming.
>>
So I'm a CS major... every programming class the professor expects you to be a huge nerd that spends all your free time programming, and I do great cause I am in fact a huge nerd, and I do in fact waste all my free time programming. But other people struggle and a part of me thinks "well that's bullshit... why are there classes for this if they just assume you know the shit?".

So I'm like wtf am I doing? Why am I taking classes where I know the material? And I decide the only thing worth learning at college is math. Sign up for some classes, shooting for math minor. Tfw cs classes happen in reverse

>tfw professors look down on you
>tfw they call you stupid
>tfw they don't teach you anything, just hand you assignments and pat you on the back if you do well, put you down if you do badly

WOOOOH EDUCATION. Rewards people who already know the stuff going in, punishes people who actually want to learn. Now my GPA's fucked and I can't even. The whole system's such bullshit, I should learn math like I learned programming, patiently, without comparing myself against my peers, and for the joy of it in itself. Too bad I have no time for that because I need to waste my time getting a bullshit piece of paper.

What? I'm not upset. Maybe a little.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.