[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Abandoned software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: xfce-logo.png (5 KB, 270x215) Image search: [Google]
xfce-logo.png
5 KB, 270x215
ITT: Abandoned software
>>
>>45463984
>xfce
>abandoned

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
Man, why is development so slow for this? XFCE is by far my favourite DE on linux due to its lightweight no bullshit approach. Are there any worthy successors in sight?
>>
>>45464016
vsync has been broken in xfce's compositor for... well, forever.
>>
>>45464020

Cinnamon is close.

Really... fucking close. It even uses less packages on install. It's still a bit too bloated in the resources department but give it another year and no one will need xfce.
>>
>>45464030
Cinnamon ain't no way as lightweight as XFCE. Cinnamon is more about doing gnome3 right, than crafting a true simplified lightweight DE.
>>
inb4 some smartass posts the crunchbang logo
>>
>>45464058

Xfce is far from lightweight other than you can run it without the compositor on.

That's about it. Other than that, LXDE is better for just about everything save for a few automated defaults.
>>
http://lxqt.org/
>>
>>45464076
>Xfce is far from lightweight

This has more to do with hardware releases since 4.10 than anything else. Lightweight is now somewhat subjective as a few hundred MB's of RAM don't really effect modern laptops and Desktops as much as they used to.

XFCE runs about as fast as Cinnamon on my machines these days. I notice no real difference but a few years ago on my old laptop, yeah.
>>
>>45464058
>Cinnamon is more about doing gnome3 right
Cinnamon is no longer based on gnome3. It's its own thing now.

...thank fuck.
>>
>>45464022
Well than just use Compton, works fine for me.
>>
>>45464080

Not like anyone needed it anyway.
>>
>>45464076
xfce is light as a feather. lxde is really just a panel + a few applications + openbox. lxqt is set to blow everything out of the water though.
>>
>>45464080
>>45464115
Will lxqt be compatible with most KDE applets and such? because if so, that would seriously make it one of the best available DEs around, granted it remains light.
>>
>>45463984
one guy maintains it but Xubuntu uses it's own version of XFCE and keeps it updated.
>>
>>45464030
>>45464100
Is cinamon even available outside *buntus and derived distros?
>>
>>45464058
cinnamon isn't as light weight. but it isn't very heavy. i had it on my other desktop that had 1 gig of ram and it ran fine.
>>
>>45464800
yes. runs on arch fine. on debian etc as well.I was actully thinking about adding it to my arch today
>>
>>45464176
>Will lxqt be compatible with most KDE applets and such?
Applets? If you mean plasmoids, then no. If you mean applications, then yes, but it wont be any better at it than any other desktop since it will still need Tier 1 KDE frameworks.
>>
>>45464020

>Man, why is development so slow for this?

Tiny userbase == tiny developer base.
>>
>>45464110

So, it is broken, but there's nobody to fix it.
>>
>>45464058
>Cinnamon is more about doing gnome3 right
Cinnamon is about doing gnome 2 with gtk3. Its desktop paradigm shares nothing with gnome 3. That's the entire reason it exists.
>>
>>45464100

>It's its own thing now.

Forking software and changing the name slightly doesn't make you your "own thing", especially when you're still pulling commits from the projects you forked. Cinammon still relies on GTK+ too.
>>
>>45463984
ITT: Epic memes
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8945
>>
>>45464020
lxde / lxQt are pretty lightweight and have good functionality
it's also actively developed
>>
>>45465086
well. the workspaces are pretty gnome 3ish. I like how they do it. gnome 3 isn't s bad either actually.
>>
You know. I did get xfce poe rmanger updates this week and just now. and it was updated. it now tells me my battery status on keyboard which is bad ass actually. xfce aint dead niggas. more to come.
>>
>>45465105

Cinnamon is ridiculous. I looked at their webpage and the name for their software like text editors, file managers, image viewers, etc. Literally everything is a fork of a GNOME package, but with a different name and maybe new colours.
What's the point of that?
>>
>>45465172

4.12 before Christmas this year.
>>
>>45465221

It's simple, they want to keep those programs as they were in whatever version they forked them from. What I don't get is why they fork something like gjs.
>>
>>45465221
For people who don't like gnome 3. And it is also very different. Come on. You know how gnome 3 works compared. cinnamon has a start menu and different layout. Not hatin gon either >>45465239
Good good. I started using xfce again on arch. I use it with openbox.
>>
>>45465221
>what's the point of that
preserving functionality
nautilus for example lost the ability to be split into two panes some time ago
give it a few more versions and they might remove tabs as well, or some other insane bullshit
>>
>>45464022
MATE's compositor does the same thing.
>>
Xfce is garbage and there's no reason to use it over a floating window manager. The only good application from the xfce project is thunar but even then ranger is superior.
>>
why is it so important with fast development & version numbers? how can an wm become useless just because it's 1 year old? by that logic openbox is kill
>>
>>45466862

>why is it so important with fast development

- bug & security fixes
- new features
- moving to a toolkit that's not on life-support like GTK 2
- Wayland
>>
What's the best DE between Xfce, Mate and Cinnamon?
>>
>>45466911
>- bug & security fixes
Is there any bug you can mention?
>- new features
suggest some, or implement them and submit them. For the rest of us it's fine as it is.
>- moving to a toolkit that's not on life-support like GTK 2
Fair enough.
>- Wayland
Xfce, X...
>>
xfce is ded why you live in the past guise?
gnome 3 is best futur only futur

back on topic i still use opera 12 its dead but its a happy place for because it just werks
>>
>>45467773

No major bugs, but occasional mini bugs causing annoyances and that Ubuntu report bug window to pop up.

X doesn't really stand for the X in X11.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.