[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux-newfag here. Currently using Win7 and like it (except for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
Linux-newfag here. Currently using Win7 and like it (except for muh freedom).
Should I install Kubuntu on my Notebook?

I am using it for the following and need it to run perfect within it:
-Presentations at Uni (beamer)
-Watching streams and series
-Office (Well, I use LibreOffice anyway) /PDF reading
>>
Sure go for it.
>>
I'd recommend you use Mint instead. If you like KDE, then you can get that on Mint too, instead of Cinnamon. http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=22

Mint will come with wireles drivers and all those office suite things installed, just like Ubuntu variants do, but without the zeitgeist and geo bullshit installed.
>>
>>45434764
>Xubuntu or Gnome-Ubuntu are better

Install Kingston office instead also
>>
What's stopping, buddy?
Just make sure to change some settings after installing, KDE can be fucking hideous by default.
Hopefully they'll change this in the next version.
>>
>>45434764
should be fine libre office is grand just remember to save as in the right format
give it a 10 gig partition to see if you like it rather than a full format and take your time with the install
>>
>>45434764
if you intend to use netflix, you will have to use chromium and follow some online tutorials to get pipelight and a UA spoofer installed right
>>
>>45435475
Or just use Chrome. Works OOTB.
>>
>>45435475
If I recall correctly, chromium/chrome works just well with netflix out of the box. Maybe you need to install a certain package.

It has something to do with the DRM implementation in HTML5 or something. Firefox hasn't implemented it yet.

If you use firefox, then you'll need to install pipelight for now.
>>
KDE is not good. It is very slow and buggy and acts very strangely. I don't understand why anyone would use it.
>>
What's the best DE for someone who doesn't like using the mouse much and generally never even looks at the desktop?
>>
>>45435475
Chrome got the DRM html extensions by now, so netflix should work ootb
>>
>>45435625
GNOME 3. Pretty much everything can be done with the keyboard.
>>
>>45435547
>OP cares about muh freedoms
>You reccomend digital handcuffs to opress him

>>45435601
There's no way to make Chromium play netflix. It is a chrome only feature. The chromium devs have marked the inability to use the widewine plugin under chromium as "won't fix".
>>
>>45435651
>>45435651
I literally use netlix on chromium every single day. you need to use pipelight
>>
KDE was a disaster. I used to use it. It was so horrible that it made stick with Unity and stay away anything shiny and very customisable and even though once it looked futuristic it looks disgusting and scary. It is an effect from 2 and half years ago though.
>>
>>45435813
kde is still far behind in terms of stability, they are innovative though, in a way
>>
>>45434764
>Currently using Win7 and like it
Why change then?
>>
OP here:
>>45435475
I'm in Germany, Netflix is (not yet) an option.
>>45435616
>>45435023
Because I don't know anything, I'm asking you guys. From what I read, it seems to be good for Notebooks. I thought about going for KDE Plasma (not notebook).

>>45435056
Could you explain a bit more in detail please?

There are just some things I hate about many Linuxdistros (design-wise), KDE seems to be OK for me.
>>
>>45435625
tiling managers
>>
ask this kind of shit in the stupid questions thread
>>
>>45435954
>Currently using Win7 and like it (except for muh freedom).

Trying to go without Windows, Google etc. is possible, you know?
>>
>>45436040
it's not, really
>>
I use kde (4.3.13), usability wise its ok, however looks wise it could do better, what I mean is desktop looks nice >>45434764 but anything else has that bland grey look, icons look bad, nautilus/dolphin are terrible looking

also is there a way to make it aero style, windows bars being transparent(something similar to taskbar in ops picture, just make all windows have like like in win7)
>>
>>45436142
you can I think but it takes lots of work like pretty much all "self made" themes
>>
>>45434764
I prefer Ubuntu MATE.
>>45435024
Has Kingston office reached a Beta or release version yet?
>>
>>45435625
you're looking for a tiling window manager
>>
>>45435683
Why do people use Chromium over chrome?
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome
>>
>>45436108
Please tell me why not. I'm eager to hear your reasons.
>>
>>45434764
>Linux-newfag here

BAHAHAHHAHAH YOU FELL FOR THE MEME
>>
>>45436212
because botnet
>>
>>45436215
do you have a 4chan pass goy?
>>
>>45436215
with the exception of jobless neckbeards in their moms basement, we're at the point we can no longer do work without botnet
>>
>>45436258
I really hate moot for this shit. Thought about leaving 4chan, because of it. Still am unsure.
>>
>>45436239
>>muhbotnet.jpg
>>"Muh botnet" is what you hear a typical /g/ linux user mumble when they are confronted with something they don't understand ... ect ...
>>
>>45435475
Pipelight doesn't work on Chromium.

>>45435547
Or Chrome.

>>45435683
How do you make Pipelight work on Chromium?

>>45436212
Because Chromium is in the openSUSE repos already and Flash is packaged separately.
>>
>>45436613
im running 8.1 not linux
+ theres no need to repeat the same thing over and over again just because there will be plebs that question the same things over and over again. theres a /g/ wiki if you want answers similar to what most would say
>>
>>45434764
If you are at a uni then just dual boot, see if you like it. Use Linux at home and Windows at the Uni.
>>
>>45436613
>botnet
>linux users
no
>>
If I were you I would install it on a virtual machine and go from there.
>>
>>45434764
Dual boot, yer still gonna need windows for some stuff
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.