[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual server hosting -- Hey /g/ does anyone have any exp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: virtualserver.png (17 KB, 350x220) Image search: [Google]
virtualserver.png
17 KB, 350x220
Virtual server hosting --

Hey /g/ does anyone have any experience with paying monthly for a virtual server like this
www.1and1.com/vps-hosting#top

It says gives you root with a static IP. I basically want to use it to test programs/web dev stuff I like to jerk around with from time to time. I'm curious if you can actually install programs, have access to a desktop environment (though not required) So, anyone out there have any advice/experience with this? I will possibly turn it into a public facing web server down the road.
>>
fuck that scrub shit, use aws or google cloud.
>>
>>45427261

why?
>>
>>45427248
I have never used 1and1 but the website looks like a fake anti-virus scam site.

>have access to a desktop environment

Its a server anon not a desktop.
But yes assuming 1and1 is not shit you should be able to build your own web server.
>>
>>45427291
because fucking companies run on it and its dirt fucking cheap. play your cards right and you could become a real sysadmin. Looks great on a resume too.
>>
>>45427314

I dealt with a small business who was hosted on 1 and 1, appeared to work decently.

>>45427342
Not sure if trolling but I'm currently happy at my job, this is basically for a hobby/testing.
>>
>>45427248
digital oceam for vps or aws for vpc

/thread
>>
>>45427467

Ocean
8GBMemory
4 CoreProcessor
80GBSSD Disk
5TBTransfer

$80.00

6 vCores
6 GB Guaranteed
400 GB
Unlimited - traffic
$19.99

I know you get what you pay for (usually), but what am I missing? I have limited knowledge with virtual/cloud hosting.
>>
>>45427544

>second one is 1and1
>>
Hostwinds Linux vps. I use it everyday. Best $19 I spend every month.
>>
>>45427544
Do you need that much power?

You can find many $5/ month VPS's with basic specs.
>>
>>45427248
Why not just buy a server?
>>
>>45427672

large investment for hobby
have to buy other infranstructure(firewall ect.)
energy usage
requires business account for static IP

there are quite a lot of reasons for me to go with virtual hosting. If it was a business, I would probably go that route, but since it's just a hobby/testing, doesn't really seem to justify the costs.

>>45427668

No I probably won't, I just like the possibility of it existing in case I do at some point.

>>45427647

what Linux distro do they offer?
>>
File: 1409588237263.png (2 MB, 2048x1363) Image search: [Google]
1409588237263.png
2 MB, 2048x1363
>>45427544
>unlimited -Traffic!*123

Anon do you seriously believe that?

Also as I said before, I have never used 1and1 but I know that digital ocean has been amazing in terms of reliability and support.

It's like this:
DigitalOcean, Google Cloud and Amazon are all just charging 3-4 times more then 1and1 because they can.

Or 1and1 is making false promises.

Maybe the first is true. Who knows?
>>
How do I get started with these virtual server services? The only think I know is that I have some extra dollars to spend on one
>>
>>45427794

True statement, hell now I almost want to get that package from 1and1 to monitor and see if they're actually giving you what they say.
>>
>>45427408
>I dealt with a small business who was hosted on 1 and 1, appeared to work decently.
Pretty much this, but their provided/auto-configured mail service is unbelievably slow.
>>
>>45427760
It's not the static IP that you have to worry about, it's the fact that an ISP's TOS can state your only allowed to have a public server with a business account. You may have the same dynamic IP address for years unless you change your router.
>>
Word of Wisdom; anyone who claims to offer "unlimited" anything is lying.

Unlimited does not exist in our feeble existence, especially when it comes to greedy ass bandwidth infrastructure ownership. Most of the places that offer "unlimited bandwidth" are quite literally banking on the fact you won't use much, and if you do, they'll simply terminate your account, or significantly throttle your speeds.
>>
>>45427927

Yea, this is the conclusion I'm coming to the more I read. "significantly throttle your speeds."

>>45427913

Yea, or I could be unlucky and have it for two days. It's just a bit of a nuisance virtual hosting takes care of for me. Also, I already looked into it, I am allowed to have a public server on my account.
>>
File: lain.png (85 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
lain.png
85 KB, 251x231
>>45427861
If you do make a thread and tell us about it im curious as well now. The fact that they mask what they actually offer with stuff like "unlimited speed" and how they add "guaranteed" to some of the states makes them seem shady as all get out.

>>45427853
You can get a free $100 credit from github for digitaloceans servers if you have an email ending in .edu. digitalocean also has the best tutorials iv seen on any of this stuff. (Trying not to be to much of a shill, but its a $100 credit man.)

>>45427877
When I built my first mail server I drove myself crazy trying to "fix" it because the emails I sent would arrive 3-4 hours after I sent them. Turns out it was because of gray listing. Its basically the most evil thing you can ever do to a novice admin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
>>
>>45427927
They estimate that with a single core and 512MB of RAM your not going to have a multi-million user video site that uses terabytes of bandwidth running on it, so they offer "unlimited bandwidth" because it will just be bottle-necked by the performance anyway.
>>
>>45427544
They say you can have all of this because you won't actually use it. all the recourses are virtualised and they know that the majority of people running applications on vpses are on demand. meaning they can have one six core machine and have 16 machines all with "six cores on them" because not all 16 machines are going to be using those recourses.

get the plan and take advantage, if you paid for it then your entitled to it.
>>
How come nobody is talking about ovh for quality and ramnode for cheap services?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.