[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just reformatted and dont feel like going through the bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: oo.png (67 KB, 640x395) Image search: [Google]
oo.png
67 KB, 640x395
I just reformatted and dont feel like going through the bullshit of installing MS office again.

should i use Open Office?

is Open Office /g/ approved?
>>
>>45336988
Nothing is /g/ approved. nothing ever will be /g/ approved.
everything is a botnet according to /g/
you are better off disconnecting your computer from the internet, dismantling it, pulverizing all compenents, incinerating the remains, then finally killing yourself for your own safety.

with that said, Open office is a fine alternative to MS office.
>>
>>45336999
>botnet: the post
>>
If you seriously need all the features that Open Office offers that equivelate to the advanced features of office then yeah Open Office is a good alternative (only alternative) really to Office, but if you just want to type and basic features why don't you just use Word Pad or some other basic text editor?
>>
>>45336988

Get libreoffice, an Office suite that is much farther in terms of compatibility and usage.
>>
Install Not-Windows 14.04 LTS
>>
>>45336999
Why i'm laughing so much?
>>
>>45337022
Why does it look shit on Windows compared to Open Office?
>>
>>45338818
because your eyes are full of gay
>>
OP, the main development branch is now called LibreOffice. That-s the one you should be getting.
>>
>>45336988
Was in the same situation, reinstalled Windows and said fuck it , I'll try LibreOffice since i rarely use Office at all. I only ever use it to open and view some files and for that it's good
>>
>>45336988
Just had to boot to my windows partition to use word because my groupmates cant into latex. Id rather use libreoffice. The computer has been booting for 10 minutes and has restarted twice... fuck
>>
File: why.png (221 KB, 692x552) Image search: [Google]
why.png
221 KB, 692x552
>uses Windows
>doesn't want to use MSO
>>
>>45338936
wow so you use linux, but cant properly maintain a Windows install...kill yourself
>>
>>45336988
Nothing else is better than Microsoft® Office® 365™
>>
>>45339014
I maintained it when i used it. Now its just damn slow because i boot into it maybe twice a year.
>>
>>45336988
use libre office.
open office is not free, and thereby not /g/ approved. OO is harmful software.
>>
>>45338967
>ever wanting to use MSO
>any year

it's such bloated shit, I'm surprised they don't include an entire LaTeX distribution in it; I forgot though, that would actually make MSO semi useful....
>>
>>45339315
>I can't learn how to use babby tier MSO
Retard
>>
>>45339383
It can be learned in literally 5 minutes yet everyone seems to use it wrong (manual numbering on section headers etc).

This doesn't mean it is the right tool for every job, i prefer to typeset all my school stuff with LaTeX or markdown if it is a really simple thing
>>
>>45339483
Congratulations for being a special snowflake
>>
>>45336988
It's really not that hard.

Install the first one you see on pirate bay, 2007 or 2010. Then apply the crack.

If you don't want to, get LibreOffice over OpenOffice.

Kingston Office is closed-source but better than both those two.
>>
>>45339383
you're right, it's so shitty and convoluted that writing in a markup language is easier (implying this is a good thing).

The only one that really gets Office suites right is Applel anyway but that's because they realized 99% of the garbage in MSO is useless and at that point you're likely going to use *TeX anyway.
>>
>>45339620
I'm not the only one:
https://www.google.com/search?q=why+word+sucks&gws_rd=ssl

Why is word so good in your opinion? It doesn't even have basic things like auto-completion or built-in citation manager. Everything is hidden deep in some stupid menus and every keystroke can explode your document's formatting completely.
>>
>>45339655
Confirmed for manchild loser. Come back when there exist something other than excel that allows simultaneous spreadsheet editing by 20 people.
>>
Just install Microsoft Office. The freetard office "equivalents" are anything but equal.
>>
>>45339694
>excel
>not knowing about matlab/octave/r
>>
File: 1404603652197.gif (419 KB, 250x140) Image search: [Google]
1404603652197.gif
419 KB, 250x140
>>45339694
>simultaneous spreadsheet editing by 20 people

next you're going to tell me you use spreadsheets as your "database" too.

jesus christ, office plebs scare the shit out of me. It's a miracle companies can even make money.
>>
>>45339683
>I'm from 2003
OK kiddo
>>
>>45339791
>anyone other than me is a slave
Tipped over my fedora shelf
>>
>>45339776
>harmful proprietary software
>>
>>45340017
>can't into reading
>has a fedora shelf
>manages to tip it over
>>
>>45340017
never said that faggot

I just called cubical monkeys what they are; monkeys that fling shit everywhere.
>>
>>45340038
matlab was there just to encourage these kids who believe only in Enterprise Quality Software
>>
There's literally no reason to use OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice.

LibreOffice is LITERALLY Stallman approved. I don't think you understand how autistically hard it is to get Stallman approved.
>>
Why is OpenOffice shit now and some offshoot (Libreoffice) good?
>>
>>45340253
OpenOffice is devellopped by lots of private devs (Oracle). LibreOffice devs get some new code from the post-fork OpenOffice and add their own, but for licencing issues, OpenOffice can't use LibreOffice code.
>>
>>45339483
>i prefer to typeset all my school stuff with markdown
cool
>or LaTeX
full-retard.tiff
>>
>>45340451
why so mad? If you have a LaTeX template for your department's report specifications it's damn easy to just start writing.
>>
MS Office one of the few reasons
to use Windows. The freetard equivalents are all pretty shit.
>>
>>45338557
becouse secretly you want to kill urself
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.