[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /g/ backup it's data? Or are you a tough enough dude
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: chap.jpg (11 KB, 229x261) Image search: [Google]
chap.jpg
11 KB, 229x261
Does /g/ backup it's data? Or are you a tough enough dude that takes RISKS.
>>
File: 400px-ObiWanHS-SWE.jpg (28 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
400px-ObiWanHS-SWE.jpg
28 KB, 400x534
Who cares. This thread is now about Obi-Wan.
>>
>>45322832
Do you think he'll make an appearance [spoiler]in spirit [/spoiler] in Episode 7?
>>
>>45322821
Dropbox for little things that don't really matter.
Everything else - laptop and external hdd
>>
>>45322835
[spoiler]He continues to whisper into Luke's ears until Luke goes completely mental and destroys the galaxy in the process.[/spoiler]
>>
>>45322835
Oh god, how would they even do that? Would it be similar to the whole 2pac light show they did?
>>
These aren't the posts you are looking for.
>>
>>45322821
>2014
pretty sure os x has automatic backup built into the computer.
>>
>>45322821
I use zfs
>>
>>45322821
there are two types of people in the tech world, those that have backups and those learning why to make backups. For me, i crontab rsync nightly to my nas. my nas has a tape drive for worm backups. 400 lto 2 tapes cost 20 usd, so totally automatic and worth it
>>
Are you as paranoid about your data as this guy:

http://youtu.be/BVJPGyijGFw
>>
I used to have auto backup to another drive for music and code and shit. Should set that up again. Also Dropbox and drive for some random stuff.
>>
>>45322903
what a boring video
>>
>>45322902
I kind of want to have a backup tape drive. Any recommendations to get started?
>>
Yes, of course I do. I do three levels of backup:

1. Copies of everything on another hard drive in randomly named multi-gigabyte archives (their large sizes and names with no extensions give me time in case a dumb ransomware tries to encrypt them: I can hear the hard drive grind and stop it).
2. Once in a month I burn a DVD containing copies of the most important files in tightly compressed RAR archives.
3. Weekly DropBox dumps of 25-50 MB double AES encrypted archives of the most important of the most important files.

Only takes 1-2 hours in a week to do all this, I've streamlined the processes.
>>
>not backing up with snapper, OpenSUSE's greatest contribution to FOSS
>>
>>45322821
I'm sort of inbetween. I don't have an actual backup but my data is on a RAID5 array. I guess I'll need a tape ... holy shit they cost how much? I'll need at least 2TB! More like 4! And ideally 6!
Oh well, guess I'll need to make a second server and sync all the changes over the net.
>>
I do a full backup to an external drive three times a week.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.