[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought this little qt. What shall we do with her, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: nexys2_octal[1].jpg (164 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
nexys2_octal[1].jpg
164 KB, 1280x960
I just bought this little qt. What shall we do with her, /g/?
>>
throw it in the trash
>>
>>45279213
gentoo
>>
>>45279213
Step 1: Install GNU/L00nix
Step 2: Install ssh
Step 3: put on DMZ
Step 4: Give /g/ the username/password
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
>>
>>45279270
Lewd. I'm starting to create my own CPU from logic gates right now.
>>
File: 1407184477143.gif (329 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1407184477143.gif
329 KB, 500x667
Bitcoin miner
>>
Plug a $2 camera and an Ethernet cable in it and broadcast the video flux.
>>
>>45279270
>GNU/Linux
>On an FPGA
Does that actually exist?

I mean...I get that you could just use the FPGA to build a custom ARM or x86...but would there happen to be a version of Linux that could just straight up run on an FPGA?
>>
File: dolan_boner.jpg (39 KB, 472x645) Image search: [Google]
dolan_boner.jpg
39 KB, 472x645
>>45279313
what the actual fuck
>>
>>45279539
Sure. It would be slow as fuck though.
>>
>>45279573
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0POwEtiqE
>>
>>45279213
see what you do is you program it to crack wifi faster than a GPU can crack wifi
>>
Holy shit, I'm working on the exact same board right now. It's a bit old though OP, digilent has stopped production.

Do you have the 500 or the 1200 fpga.
>>
>>45279539
You would still need to implement a microprocessor on FPGA, how else are you going to boot the kernel? You need instructions and all that jazz or else no software is going to run on it.
>>
>>45279539

umm, no you do have to get a cpu synthesized in the fabric first. But that is pretty straight forward, and running linux on a soft cpu is easyish.

The last time I played with one, on OP's erra fpga it was running at a couple hundred MHz and felt like a 486. Xilinx has a newish family with dual arm9 cores in it.

The cpu's though are not important, it's the cpu's with the fpga fabric that is interesting. You can interface the cpu to just about anything easily.
>>
>>45279551
It's like you've never seen a fake vagina on a wall with dish towels hanging out of it before.
>>
>>45279636
>running linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU + Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
OP, design your own 8 or 16 bit cpu. Use the psram in async mode (doing sync mode at 80MHz was a bitch for me).

Look at bigmessofwires.com for inspiration.

Design your own instruction set, Maybe 1 dozen instructions total, hack up an assembler and count in binary on the led's. That's a good little project that will take only a few % of that fpga.
>>
>>45279687
Hey mister pasta, I was wondering, what was this "peculiar turn of events" RMS refers to?
Mere curiosity, that is all.
>>
>>45279539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCX03bU8TSM
>>
>>45279213
Build 12 hour clock. 12:00 -> 1:00 rollover on the hex displays, use timer interrupts to keep track of real time, then have pushbuttons adjust hours and minutes.
>>
>>45279213
I've used that one. It works good.

>>45279301
MIPS?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.