[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Ncube2.jpg (48 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
Ncube2.jpg
48 KB, 500x446
So /g/, I've been thinking of creating my own satellite

I'd do a test run with like a weather balloon but if I could do it it'd be grand.
>use raspberry pi connected to cameras, altimeter, thermometer
>record data and video of launch
>send it into orbit then which now costs about 8k
This is a great idea /g/
>>
>>45245110
sun bounces out electrons and shit, your computer will fuck up because all the 1's and 0's will bounce around and get mixed up outside the atmosphere.
space is expensive
>>
>>45245110
what are you going to do about radiation flipping the bits in your sat, What are you going to do about temperature controls. What are you going to do about communication.... Who do you think you are going to fly with?
>>
>>45245110
>>45245700

>Temperature controls
so much this. I was helping to build a computer to send into the upper atmosphere, it was a nightmare. The first computer was put in a vacuum chamber to test it, it got over 60 degrees Celsius. The second got down to 30 degrees, and the third got to a 25, which was the one we sent up. It worked pretty good, though managing heat sinks and weight is killer.

>radiation shielding
I don't recall having to deal with this, but I probably did.

>communication
this was no issue for us, we'd be getting our hdd and backup drive back. But we put in an antenna and software defined radio and sent bits back and forth, this was mostly just for reading temps and shit, not all the data it was supposed to gather.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend anyone that isn't a team of physicists and computer scientists or someone with a lot of money to blow to do this, there is more testing and problems than you'd think...
>>
Why raspberry pi? Why does everyone have a fetish for this?
>>
>>45245996
I don't know. OP would be much better off with a full PC with an i3 or i5 (minus unneeded utilities, such as sound card and graphics processors)
>>
>>45246016
How so? Yeah it'll be more powerful but it also draws far more power and has way more mass than a basic raspi.
>>
>>45246071

for OP's purposes, you'd be right. For a research team, you might want the extra power for cameras and all the sensors with any calculations you might do. Also, a full pc like this would have usability or resale value after you're done with it.
>>
>>45246071
If I were smart, I'd probably learn how to launch satellites. Just so I could launch them at other satellites.

Is it a crime to crash into other people's satellites? What's the jurisdiction on that?
>>
>>45246123
just remember, satellites coporations put up there are multi-million dollar projects, if you somehow lose a lawsuit, you will go bankrupt
>>
>>45246123
By the way you ask your questions I am 100% sure you will never even get to your first prototype.
>>
>>45245110

I worked for the software on these OP.

They're basically still in the "toy technology" stage.

IIRC it's around 50k for a launch (commercial, might be less for student/private).

You'll need a really powerful groundstation to be able to do anything remotely useful, and even then the company I worked for was barely able to get more than 25-50 KB/day of data, if they could even contact it at all.
>>
>>45245110
use Minnowboard instead. Send a fully working x64 machine in space with whatever lin distro or OS on it and don't worry about hitting the cpu limit on the shitty pi
>>
>>45245636
ECC memory and correct casing will usually be enough
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.