[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux (or GNU/Linux) Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: flt4.jpg (79 KB, 391x515) Image search: [Google]
flt4.jpg
79 KB, 391x515
Previously on: >>52500298

Read the picture.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic [it's reddit-tier] -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse/puke-inducing like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

Check out this page for any updates on the OP
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
Recommend me good Android programs from F-droid.
>>
>>52510909
so my therapist wants me to make a blog, after a talk we agreed I could make a blog that's stored locally but since I have to read the entire thing at our sessions I want something eye friendly (similar to a real blog) is there any software that can do this? I was thinking write in markdown then it outputs interlinking pages to html
>>
>>52510981
what kind of therapy is that?
>>
>>52510981
Look up static site generators
>>
>>52510995
it's meant to help me see why some of my thoughts are paranoid
>>
>>52511005
you are paranoid, and we are not real.
>>
>>52511036
nice1 anon
>>
>>52511005
I hope your therapist isn't pressuring you to use proprietary software, anon.
>>
>>52511059

this. that would be unethical
>>
File: 1452868507895.jpg (608 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1452868507895.jpg
608 KB, 2560x1600
Fedora 23 on 6700K
Steam/KeePass/VM work
what now?
>>
>>52510909
I wanna try out other DE/WMs. But I'm afraid that I'll fuck up my configs and it'll never go back the way it was before.
If I type in
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Will it go on a full rampage and replace things like thunar with some backwards ass file explorer even if I switch back to xfce?
>>
Running Arch Linux w/ a GTX 750 Ti.
What 32bit driver package am I supposed to download for this GPU? I thought it was just lib32-nvidia-libgl but when I tried to download Steam, it just hung on "Installing breakpad exception handler...""

The wiki says it's probably due to
>"mis-matched lib32-nvidia-* packages"
But I have the right drivers installed for my GPU, don't I?
>>
File: 1431782708705.png (12 KB, 530x492) Image search: [Google]
1431782708705.png
12 KB, 530x492
>no code signing required to install kernel-mode rootkits
>"Linux is the safest operating system"
>>
>>52511364
fuck off stupid frogposter
>>
Trying again in this thread, since I got no answers in the last one. I'm using a bheringer uca202 usb dac on the fedora 23 kde spin. I already got sound on deadbeef and mpv, but I still get no sound from firefox. I searched on google and found that firefox itself cant use audio, that its a flash or html5 thing. How do I get audio in firefox?
>>
[blog]

So apparently, you really, really shouldn't run Xscreensaver and a different screenlocker at the same time (even if you're not using Xscreensaver's locking function).

I had used slock and didn't disable Xscreensaver. When I unlocked slock, I was back to my desktop, as usual .... except my keyboard didn't work (my mouse did, however).

I did some Googling on my phone to figure out the problem, but it didn't give a clear solution. So, brute-forced a solution: most keyboard input didn't work, but for whatever reason, I could switch ttys with Ctrl+Alt+F2.

I did that, logged in as root, and opened up htop. I first tried killing Xscreensaver and seeing if that would fix things. It didn't. And because I'm running bspwm, I had no mouse-only way of safely ending my session. (it should be noted that I found a thread about this for xmonad, and someone with Gnome had the same problem, so it's not WM/DE-specific)

So, I did some more googling, and I found that you can effectively kill a person's session by:
1) Finding the shell process (bash, zsh, etc.) that starts with a dash in your process monitor. In my case, "-zsh".
2) Sending the kill signal "SIGHUP" to it.

And now I've locked back in, and I know a bit more about screensavers/lockers and how some kill signals work. All in all, not a bad learning experience.

[/blog]
>>
>>52511349
Nouveau
>>
>>52511444
I dont get it, so you have audio in firefox with html5?
>>
>>52511444
gstreamer?
>>
>>52511466
Isn't nouveau shit?
>>
>>52511509
no, I don't. I just know that the problem has to be solved with html5, since every article I've read says that flash processed firefox's audio. But I don't use flash, so I guess it's html5.
>>
>>52511315
It won't uninstall things you already have
>>
I'm using Arch, firefox can't play any webm file (I get the "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt." message), mpv plays them just fine.

Starting firefox from the terminal whenever I open a webm I get the following message
[vp8 @ 0x7f52cadda000] Discarding interframe without a prior keyframe!

Any ideas?
>>
>>52511521
Sounds like the one you're trying to use is shit
>>
>>52511511
Nothing on fedora except alsamixer detects the usb dac. I had to set it up manually with .asoundrc
>>
>>52511619
kthx
>>
>>52511599
https://www.youtube.com/html5

go there to have funfacts about your browser with html5.
>>
How do I make a device like /dev/null? I want /dev/image to give me a random file from a directory each time it gets read for example, or /dev/password to spit out a different password each time I cat on it.
>>
File: 4.gif (1017 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
4.gif
1017 KB, 500x281
So I moved from stable to unstable on Debian and there is a problem which I cannot solve: installing Krita on it.
Apt and aptitude don't wanna install it because of dependencies that they can't install. Tried installing it with .deb file also installing dependencies alone and it does not work too.
Someone already did it?
Ps. I am not using kde if it changes something.
>>
>>52511666
everything is ok according to it
>>
What's the best notebook calendar avaible for Ubuntu?
>>
>>52511675
Look at:
man 4 null

It should list the steps to create /dev/null.
>>
>>52510981
I decided on tiddlywiki, simple enough formattings ok and I can run it on my TAILs installation
>>
>>52511675
Either by writing a kernel module (harder) or using FUSE (easier).
>>
What would cause mouse buttons to give off different assignments. Each time i logout/reboot my mouse buttons are giving off a different character
Exp
Press 1 get KP_1
Logout/reboot
Press 1 get !
Press 2 get @
>>
>>52511786
Any guides to getting started on kernel driver development or should I just start reading through files related to the null driver?
>>
I recently installed Arch on an older pc I had lying around in the attempt to learn about it so I could later be comfortable with it on my main pc. I finished the install and it worked fine for a few days while I set it up. I turned it on a few days ago and ran the pacman command to install mpv, but an error message was shown: "failed to init transaction". I tried a few other installs, read some forum posts about the issue, but I have not been able to find a working fix. Any advice?
>>
>>52511806
Why not use FUSE?
Anyway, the kernel has a documentation, there's also LKML.
>>
>>52511832
You have a lock on your pacman database
Delete /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
>>
>>52511855
>Why not use FUSE?
None of my systems have FUSE yet and I want to get into driver development. Maybe someday I'll be able to fix the fucked up mwifiex driver so Linux won't crash when I try to use wifi on my SP2.
>>
>>52511715
so can you hear webms sounds?
>>>/wsg/889003
>>
How do you change the default playback device on the fly with Arch Linux like you're able to do on Windows? I actually can't figure it out.
>>
>>52511895
>>52511666
>>52511511
>>52511509
Thanks guys, got to solve it using https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=178242
>>
>>52511908
Probably with pulseaudio or another sound server.
>>
>>52511908
echo "options <sound driver> index=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
>>
>>52510909
I have recently rented a VPS with Debian, i did some fun stuff with it(TS server, fucking around with SSL/TLS, nginx, various stuff) and i think a career in this field would be fun to pursue. Can you recommend me mandatory literature/sources to study if i'd like to delve into administrating/maintaining Linux in the business/IT sphere in general? I don't mean fucking around in bash writing scripts to open your CD drive so you can masturbate with your fleshlight, but something like maintaining AD, backups etc. Also, is LPI a good cert to get?
>>
>>52511981
Comptia Network+ Linux+ Security+
>>
>>52511790
>Press 1 get KP_1
thats dial pad 1

>Press 1 get !
thats number row 1

whats the issue?
>>
>>52512032
They change everytime
I have everything set to KP_
It changes and keybinds do not work.

cat >/tmp/xkb/symbols/custom <<\EOF
xkb_symbols "remote" {
key <AE01> { [0xffb1] };
key <AE02> { [0xffb2] };
key <AE03> { [0xffb3] };
key <AE04> { [0xffb4] };
key <AE05> { [0xffb5] };
key <AE06> { [0xffb6] };
key <AE07> { [0xffb7] };
key <AE08> { [0xffb8] };
key <AE09> { [0xffb9] };
key <AE10> { [0xffb0] };
key <AE11> { [0xffad] };
key <AE12> { [0xffab] };
};
>>
How can Linux be considered secure if anyone with root access can mount kernel mode code? On Windows, you need for that code to be signed and tied to its creator, so this kind of shit doesn't happen.

I'm not against GNU/Linux, I'm just wondering.
>>
>>52511623
>any webm
really all webm? sure it's not just the ones with 10 bit color?
because that's a common issue right now and fixes should exist soon.
>>
>>52512070
You dont give everyone root access?
>>
Would it be good idea to buy raspberry pi and installing linux on it?
>>
>>52512085
Anything from 4chan, webm.land, gfycat..

Youtube works fine though.
>>
>>52512099
> buy raspberry pi and installing linux on it?
well what else would you install on it
>>
>>52512070
>anyone with root access
that's the most important key phrase in your question.

in the grand scheme of things the only people with root access are the system administrators and noone else.
and as a system adminstrator there's absolutely no reason why wouldn't you be allowed to make modifications to the kernel.
>>
>>52512118
i only have the issue if i skip to a part of the webm that isn't already loaded. update to aurora?
>>
>>52512148
Is it stable enough for daily usage?
>>
>>52512212
mozilla have a really weird definition of stable, icewesel aurora/firefox dev should be stable enough for everyday usage.
>>
>>52512229
get firefox-esr
>>
>>52512137
The root password can be stolen very easily. Once it's stolen, you just mount your shellcode as a kernel module and establish persistence.
It's far easier to achieve privilege escalation of Linux than on Windows.
>>
>>52512320
Use OpenBSD then.
>>
>>52512320
2 step password protection
Private+public key
Sysadmin has it on his person all the time
It is required, plus the correct password
Sysadmin changes password every week as well as generating a new keyfile
Protip:you arent going to win.
>>
>>52512320
what about SELinux and the like?
>>
>>52512070
Uh, what prevents one on windows from self-signing?
Also, on Linux there's better control over what software is ran.
>>
>>52512320
If someone has an admin access on windows they can install as much botnet as they like, what is your point exactly?
>>
File: 50f.jpg (32 KB, 579x570) Image search: [Google]
50f.jpg
32 KB, 579x570
>>52511683
Nobody know the solve of my problem?
>>
>>52511364
dumb fucking frogposter you aren't welcome here
>>
>>52512371
Source for my claim:
>A company can choose to sign their own drivers rather than go through the WHQL testing process. These drivers would not qualify for the "Certified for Windows" logos, but they would install on 64-bit versions of Windows and install without a warning message on 32-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7.[2] However, it will not install without a warning message on Windows XP.[3]
>>
>>52511855
>>52511786
Not that Anon. But FUSE sounds pretty awesome. I have this Diceware password generator. It would be awesome if I could do something like
 cat /dev/diceware 
to get a password. I mean, it's even more work than just
 diceware 
(if I put it in /usr/local/bin). But I wanna try, damn it.

Any places where I can get a tutorial?
>>
>>52511980
I said on the fly. Changing that requires a restart for it to actually take into effect.
>>
>>52512397
Post full output from apt/aptitude while installing krita.
>>
>>52512431
easy way and probably newb enough for you
Install pulseaudio and pavucontrol
Go to output devices
mute/disable what you wan
Pulse is horrible though
>>
Is there any reasonable way to change
>user@got:
to
>fag@got:
on console? Xubuntu 14.04.
>>
>>52512458
Change your user name
Or permanently change your ps1 to have it in there
>>
The reason I stopped recommending Linux to "normal users" is _because_ of the concept of distributions.

Coupling the updates of single apps with the updates of the whole desktop or framework and libs, is just plain wrong. Having to upgrade the whole distro (including all the other installed apps you dont want to upgrade) just to install a new version of one single app you _want_ to update is a nightmare. Total bullshit. Users. Dont. Want. That. Users dont want one update to trigger another update, or even to trigger the upgrade of the whole desktop.

The blog post by ESR is one prominent example: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=3822

He basically wanted to upgrade just one (obscure) app, and the process triggered the automatic removal of Gnome2 and installation of Unity. Just _IMAGINE_ how nightmarish this must look for normal users. You simply dont remove somebodys installed desktop sneakily from under their feet. You simply dont. That feels like the total loss of control over your computer.

I personally had, during the last 10 years, people go from Linux (which I talked them into trying) back to windows, _precisely_ of this reason, of having to upgrade the whole distribution every few months just to be able to get new app versions. They dont have to put up with this insane bullshit on Windows, why should they put up with it on Linux?

This "distribution" bullshit is not what is killing desktop Linux, it is what _already_ killed desktop Linux.

The other reasons why desktop Linux never made it (no games, no preinstallations on hardware) are imho just consequences of the distribution concept and the 6-month planned-obsolescence cycle. Nobody wants to bother with something which will be obsolete half a year down the road. Nobody wants to develop for a target that moves _that_ fast.

If anybody _ever_ really wants to see Linux succeed on the desktop (before the desktop concept itself is gone), he will have to give up on the distribution concept first.
>>
>>52512458
Look up PS1 variable
>>
>>52512472
Didn't work. Will try the PS1.
>>
File: 1453003731557.png (124 KB, 328x486) Image search: [Google]
1453003731557.png
124 KB, 328x486
>>52512475
>>
>>52512427
LibFUSE has some examples and doxygen documentation: https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse
>>
>>52512475
Arch don't do that. You're talking about Ubuntu.
>>
>>52512454
>Pulse is horrible though
Why? Haven't use pulse since I moved from oobantu, but is it still buggy?
>>
>>52512438
Czytanie list pakietów... Gotowe
Budowanie drzewa zależności
Odczyt informacji o stanie... Gotowe
Nie udało się zainstalować niektórych pakietów. Może to oznaczać,
że zażądano niemożliwej sytuacji lub użyto dystrybucji niestabilnej,
w której niektóre pakiety nie zostały jeszcze utworzone lub przeniesione
z katalogu Incoming ("PrzychodzÄ…ce").
Następujące informacje mogą pomóc rozwiązać sytuację:

Następujące pakiety mają niespełnione zależności:
krita : Wymaga: calligra-libs (= 1:2.8.5+dfsg-1.2) ale nie zostanie zainstalowany
Wymaga: libexiv2-13 ale nie da się go zainstalować
Wymaga: libilmbase6 (>= 1.0.1) ale nie da się go zainstalować
Wymaga: libopenexr6 (>= 1.6.1) ale nie da się go zainstalować
E: Nie udało się naprawić problemów, zatrzymano uszkodzone pakiety.

"but can not be installed"
>>
>>52512483
Didn't notice new thread.
Old thread didn't even reach bump limit wtfrudoin OP.
>>
>>52512523
Pulse brings so many problems to audio. Every update you're most likely going to have broken audio
It just piggy backs on alsa anyway.
>>
>>52512458
Add PS1=fag@got: to ~/.bashrc.
>>
>>52512475
now you just need a reason to kill yourself
>>
>>52512534
Nigga we cant read that shit
>>
>>52512537
You install it and use it?
>>
>>52512534
Masz prawdopodobnie skopane sources.list.
>>
>>52512577
Yeah no, it still has xterm as the default.
Already have the one I want installed.
>>
>>52512534
kurwa
>>
>>52512534
It tells you the packages you need and the version required
You need to fix those deps first
>>
>>52512595
what "default" are you talking about?
If you want to use uvrxt you OPEN it and use it?
You arent changing your shell, just the terminal you're using
>>
>>52512534
Możesz spróbowac zrobić apt-get install -f
>>
>>52512617
I think he means what terminal opens by default from hotkeys or whatever
>>
>>52512320
>The root password can be stolen very easily.
So? If we're talking about remote access just disable ssh to root and make use of RSA keys + password.

As for the physical access, the most basic rule of security is that once someone gets physical access of your computer it's compromised.
There's no way around that, save for full disk encryption on a powered down computer that's as secure as the password you used for it.
>>
>>52512617
When using awesome pressing mod + enter opens an xterm window by default.

Want it to open a urxvt window by default.
>>
>>52512708
edit your .xml for awesome
>>
File: 1446156993015.jpg (21 KB, 248x292) Image search: [Google]
1446156993015.jpg
21 KB, 248x292
>>52512534
>apt
zabij siÄ™
>>
>>52512588
deb http://ftp.pl.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.pl.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

sources.list, but everything else is fine
>>52512651
apt-get install -f po zainstalowaniu manualnie zależności z paczek .deb usuwa mi je z dysku
(it removes manually installed .deb dependencies)
>>
>>52512687
>>52512320
Only one computer has root acces, and it is secured behind a biometrics scanner requiring both iris and handprint scan to gain access, which has no constant intranet connection.
System admin needs a keyfile + a password that both change weekly.
>>
>>52512714
Thanks.
>>
>>52512475
Just use gentoo and re-emerge an app you want.

:^)
>>
>>52512320
>The root password can be stolen very easily.
Not really. Not on up to date systems. The login information of everyone is stored in
/etc/passwd

But the actual (hashed) password is stored in
/etc/shadow

The only way you can read /etc/shadow is by already having root privileges. I mean sure, you can get some information from /etc/passwd. But I don't think it'll be **that** much of a security threat. The only information available to you will be in the form of
postfixadmin:x:1005:1005:PostFixAdmin,,,:/srv/www/postfixadmin:/bin/bash

Which is pretty much nothing to you. The only thing you know is that there's a user by the name of postfixadmin, who has his home directory in /srv/www/postfixadmin, and uses bash.

And even if you do get into shadow somehow. Maybe some newbie made its permissions 666. The only information available to you, is

ddouthitt:$6$QR3drPrQ$JLolPKyiVuXvea1F2IpbPx9F9PEV0s/IGcNCpm6ZrBA6AFDvwHPQG7EsTQHuUqxfCvlsuKRb.O7w5RLPyj8nS/:15119:0:99999:7:::

tl;dr You already need to have root privileges to get the hashes which then require computation. Most security threats to a system is where users bypass authentication. Things that have permissions 4000 and shit.
>>
>>52512732
That's Debian for you.
>>
>>52512732
what's the point in using sid instead of unstable in the sources?
>>
>>52512871
It has less letters.
>>
>>52512733
and you're describing what right now?
>>
>>52512871
5 characters shorter I guess.
>>
>>52512934

>>52512687
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-19_21-12-00.png (76 KB, 551x805) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-19_21-12-00.png
76 KB, 551x805
>>52512320
you mean this?
>>
Now that gentoo portage tree is git based is there any reason to use funtoo over gentoo?
>>
So I was able to put the elementary Operating System on a USB try the live desktop version thingy. I quite like it but the mail client it ships with doesn't support pop, exchange or any kind of encryption. I've also read that Geary development was discontinued. Why the bloody Jesus zombie Krista are they using it? Are either Outlook or that Mozilla client available on Linux? What do most Linux users use?
>>
>>52513185
Easier install I guess.
Use Gentoo, but was thinking of installing Funtoo just for that reason.
>>
If you could use one and only one shell for basic stuff. Would it be zsh + oh-my-zsh or bash?
>>
>>52513227
>Why the bloody Jesus zombie Krista are they using it?
elementary os is a fork of ancient ubuntu release with outdated packages. It's not a very good distro.
And the UI is basically a chinese OS X ripoff so nothing redeeming in this regard as well

>What do most Linux users use?
Thunderbird, Evolution, Claws
>>
>>52513185
funtoo is the real gentoo.
>>
>>52513242
Fish.
:^)
>>
>>52510909
Are there any Linux distributions that actually manage to get significantly better battery life for laptops than winblows? I always hear people complaining about how Linux doesn't properly handle battery power or something like that.
>>
>>52513242
bash because it's de facto the standard.

Noone will bash you (pun not intended) for publishing a bash-specific script, but anything else is considered "non portable".
Also literally every memeshell (fish, zsh etc) has to be bash compatible to be ever considered usable.
>>
>>52513282
lubuntu maybe.
>>
>>52513282
Not unlless you install tlp and all the proper drivers for your system. Hardware support is hit and miss even in 2016. Want good support, buy a preinstalled machine..
>>
>>52513282
get a laptop with only intel graphics, use a recent kernel, a lightweight DE/WM and tlp.
>>
>>52513282
That's entirely hardware-dependent.

I own a very old laptop and after setting up tlp properly i manage to get ~20 minutes more battery life out of it compared to windows vista (which laptop originally shipped with). On idle with wlan turned off and screen to minimum it's like 40 minutes more.

You will have most luck with laptops running purely on intel's hardware (ie cpu, igpu, wlan chip etc) since intel actually puts some money in linux development.
Forget about weird and obscure stuff cheap chink manufacturers like to put on their devices.

The general rule is for battery life you ought keep the kernel as new as possible, since for recent hardware drivers might be updated thus getting better battery optimizations.
>>
>>52513282
Because most laptop manufacturers dont follow apci standards.So it dosent send the proper signals, and since its closed source, no one can get the right calls
>>
File: Cattura.jpg (147 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Cattura.jpg
147 KB, 1366x768
:)
>>
>>52513273
Correct. That was a trick question. Glad to see someone paying attention

>>52513292
Well that's why I said "basic stuff." I didn't mean anything revolving scripting. At the very most, you'll just have to change /bin/sh to /bin/bash for some scripts whose authors confused the two.
>>
>>52513375
why is your screenshot in .jpg? and why are you using non-free software?
>>
File: 1445457536268.gif (929 KB, 264x320) Image search: [Google]
1445457536268.gif
929 KB, 264x320
>>52513375
>windows
>facebook
>qtorrent
>>
>>52511908
pavucontrol is what you want
>>52512475
copypasta
>>
>>52510909

What's the difference between pytyle, pytyle2 and pytyle3?
Which one would be best for use with openbox?
>>
>>52513382
If you use the meme shells for anything beyond a login shell, you'll have a bad time. System scripts will fail to run since they depend on the bash syntax.
>>
>>52513375
>.jpg
Winniggers stay retard
>>
File: 2016-01-19 15_46_10.png (3 KB, 482x81) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-19 15_46_10.png
3 KB, 482x81
>>52513502
B-but... just look at the autocomplete. It's so much faster on zsh.
I haven't had problems yet with scripts. So I'll keep it for now.
>>
>>52513560
Just use gui.
>>
>>52512475
look bro, this is why you compile your software build packages and stop the dependency resolution bullshit, build a stable system and let it run, don't fix shit that aint broke.
>>
>>52513596
plsgo normie
>>
As a Debian user for few years I'm looking for some other distro, what should I get if I expect new updates like on unstable, also I'm looking for stability and old pc support?
>>
>that OP image
More like passive aggressive linux thread
>>
>>52513680
Tumbleweed
>>
I have to install ubuntu for a class in the upcoming semester. Is there anything else that is guaranteed to run whatever ubuntu runs and won't get on my nerves?
I'm a die hard winfag for the past 10 years and couldn't find a reason to install linux on my pc until now.
>>
>>52513741
xubuntu or debian
>>
>>52513741
Why do you NEED to install it?

Also debian is an alternative.
>>
>>52513680
If you're coming from stable to unstable. Get ready to pop your first boner because shit will get srs.

I don't know much about debian. But just updating from 14.04 to 15.10 made a world of improvement. There's no doubt it'll be the same for Debian.
>>
>>52513741
Just install it on a VM and keep using windows.
>>
[sudo] password for _:
how the fuck do i enter a password that does not exist
>>
>>52513780
I am already on unstable for ~2years, I'm asking for some another distro.
>>
>>52513770
idk. I think it's because they use ubuntu and the newline is different from windows and code written in windows never works for them.
Or probably some shit they want us to install. The class will teach us to make OSs and is called Operating Systems.
>>
Exclusive Arch Linux user reporting in.
>>
>>52513685
>picture says get the fuck out
>passive aggressive
bruh i think you have no idea what passive aggressive means
>>
>>52513741
You could also install ubuntu and get a different desktop or window manager.
>>
>>52513802
Same thing we always recommend to people. xUbuntu. Although I'll probably be testing out other stuff soon. Probably bunsenlab's crunchbang.
>>
When i switched from windows a few years back i just dropped in and installed slackware, you'll take a learning curve but things like ubuntu don't really give you an understanding of what linux is. If your serious goes balls deep, its not that bad.
>>
>>52513825
Holy shit, just use fucking notepad++.
Your department should have a linux server you can login to, just ssh in with putty then you can build whatever you need.
>>
File: 1426948777401.jpg (65 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1426948777401.jpg
65 KB, 403x403
>tfw 2cool4arch
>>
File: 1451769544037.jpg (36 KB, 350x299) Image search: [Google]
1451769544037.jpg
36 KB, 350x299
>>52513825
>he will be THAT GUY running currysoft wendys on a gaming laptop in cs classes
>>
>>52513899
Install Gentoo
>>
>>52513914
Already did.
>>
File: 1434679878182.gif (800 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
1434679878182.gif
800 KB, 245x184
What is the BEST linux?
>>
>>52513928
Same here, just wanted to make sure you are 2cool4skool
>>
>>52513928
reinstall gentoo
>>
>>52513935
The one i use
>>
My entire SSD just failed with my long-running Insider Program W8 to W10 gone forever. Needless to say I'm currently running Ubuntu and am facing a crisis of being unable to play obscure weeb games.

My best route to accomplish this is to install a virtual machine of XP or something right? And this is something that is easily google-able I assume.
>>
>>52513878
This, honestly.

If you stick with distros that can be called "Linux for Windows migrants", you don't really learn the power of Linux.
>>
>>52513799
You didnt setup sudoers
>>
File: 1443978605879.jpg (45 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
1443978605879.jpg
45 KB, 419x249
>>52513935
The one I'm using
>>
why is linux mint so shit with batteries?
i barely get 4:02h with 9 cell, while on windows i got around 6h?
>>
>>52513826
*salutes*
>>
>>52513890
we have a building with computers we can use. there is a total of 150 computers out of which probably 5 have ubuntu and run on pentium 4. the rest are 4th gen i5 that run windows 7 pro. Besides our website I have only heard about our file servers on the whole campus.

>>52513905
i always wanted a gaming laptop. i have a trusty t61.
>>
>>52513960
>My best route to accomplish this is to install a virtual machine of XP or something right?
Either XP virtual machine or PlayOnLinux (aka more elaborate wine setup).
Try playonlinux first since it will allow you for gpu acceleration, something that virtual machine doesn't do
>>
>>52513988
install tlp
>>
>>52513988
You're probably running a DE that uses the GPU and not your integrated card.
>>
I installed debian and I get a command line when I boot after installing the Radeon drivers. What should I do?
>>
>>52514008
startx
>>
>>52513960
unless you only play old as shit games go with win7 or later in the vm, cause lot's of shit won't run on xp

>>52513969
>>52513878
don't listen to these chuckleheads, if you need your distro to force you to learn shit, you aint gonna be happy, you'll just come back here and bitch about how much better windows is. get a distro that just werx, I mean just cause it works out of box, doesn't mean you can't learn shit on it
>>
>>52514008
startx, fag.
>>
>>52514008
>using closed source drivers
>>
>>52514001
Thank you lad.
>>
>>52513935
ARCH

The other niggers are simply using the wrong one.
>>
>have now used bspwm for more than a week
>very comfortable with it

>try using some LiveCDs for unrelated purposes
>absolutely hate the DEs/WMs for most things

i now understand why tiling window manager users are so elitist. it's because they're right.
>>
>>52514046
Does Arch respect my freedoms?
>>
>>52514036
Unfortunately, if you need the best performance you can get, the proprietary drivers are the only sensible choice. If you're not gonna game or run intensive OpenGL applications, and would rather have stability and compatibility across the board, then yeah, the open source drivers are your friends.
>>
>>52513969
That's fucking bullshit that you only propagate to rationalize countless hours wasted to fix shit that other distros do right out of the box.

I started with debian, gradually moving to *buntus ending up on fedora.

Just because I didn't have to learn how to patch broken™ software by hand putting ones and zeroes with a magnetic needle on a HDD platter because some dumb neckbeard said "that's the Unix® way" doesn't make me less able to maintain a linux system.
>>
>>52514071
No, because it allows non-free software in a small amount of its official repositories (the AUR doesn't count), but that's the only problem there's with it. Same reason why Debian and many other perfectly valid distros don't respect yer freedums.
>>
Does a window manager like i3 run independently of a desktop environment like Gnome? In other words, could I use a window manager without having a desktop environment installed?
>>
>>52510909
You misspelled Mach in your pic.
>>
>>52514071
it can respect your freedumbs or it can respect your freedom of choice
>>
>>52514096
Is there any downside with using Parabola instead of Arch?
>>
>>52514098
Yes.
>>
>>52514098
sure
>>
>>52514118
Yes
Shit mirrors
>>
>>52514118
your hardware will not work in most cases
>>
>>52514118
if you don't need non-free drivers, no, if yes, you're fucked with parabola.
>>
>>52514098
Yep, you should actually do this to try out other WMs. Install it, CTRL+ALT+F1, start a second session.
>>
>>52514124
>>52514127
Cool, thanks. I've thrown myself in at the deep end yesterday and started using Arch. Really liking it so far.
>>
>>52514079
Well, as a user of both user-friendly and minimalistic distros, I'll tell you there's nothing wrong with using Ubuntu, Fedora or Mageia with a nice-looking DE and software suite of pre-installed software that just works.

However, when shit hits the fan it's always good to have that low-level experience you can only acquire with DIY distros.

Having said that, I run Arch on my laptop and couldn't be happier but on my next rig I'm going to install Fedora (the KDE spin, I think Plasma looks absolutely gorgeous these days) and I know I'll be happy.
>>
>>52514151
I'll write this down, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>52514118
No proprietary drivers, even if you need them. Actually, no proprietary anything. I, for one, can live without, but don't need the distro preventing me.
>>
>>52514136
>not installing based parabola and switching to arch repos
there
>>
>>52514079
>I started with debian, gradually moving to *buntus ending up on fedora.
>I started at a decent distro and gradually became more casual.
>>
>>52514023
>>52514030
>>52514036
I guess I fucked up, it's giving an error
(EE) no screens found

is there any way to roll back?
>>
>>52514098
Yep.

Desktop environments are simply collections of software: window managers, desktop grid, display managers, panels, some software for the panels (launchers, start menus, wifi connectors, etc.), and other default programs (settings config, etc.).

To start a session, you only actually need a window manager: everything else is extraneous. Of course, you'll probably like to add some of those things back (particularly, panels). But otherwise, the WM is all you need.
>>
>>52514254
Xconfig backup, but before that, did the driver configure your xconfig? If not, do it.
>>
Is debian good if you want something that just werks once you learn how to use it, but also isn't babby tier?

Would use arch but I don't want to devote too much time to maintenence and shit
>>
>>52514136
Just use the official parabola.nu one. No problems.
>>
>make Xfce look like Windows 98
>have presentation
>hook it up
>people start laughing

Why
>>
>>52514254
Did you change your
xorg.conf
? Or just
.xinitrc
?

If you fucked up
xorg.conf
best thing you can do is delete it (or just move it somewhere else/rename it) and force Xorg to use a default one. Be careful if you have any additional files in xorg.conf.d, as those might interfere too if they're wrong.
>>
>>52514257
Good to know! I've got this small netbook with an Intel Atom N270 and 1GB of RAM that I use to watch movies. Knowing that I can get rid of the Xfce and just use a WM is going to increase performance surely.
The term 'desktop environment' has always suggested to me it's imperative that one is used to have a GUI.
>>
>>52514285
>Is debian good if you want something that just werks once you learn how to use it, but also isn't babby tier?
That babby-tier bullshit is retarded. What the fuck is wrong with having an operating system that just tries to make your life easier? Just use any flavour of Ubuntu that's not Ubuntu itself (avoid Unity like the plague), Fedora or something like that.

>Would use arch but I don't want to devote too much time to maintenence and shit
Install Antergos. It's a friendlier flavour of Arch.
>>
>>52511458
>safely ending my session.
just send a SIGTERM to each program you need to safely close from in htop (press F9 to bring up the list of signals), it's the same signal programs get when you "click X" or "alt+f4", or whatever graphical equivalent

you also could launch an onscreen keyboard from another tty by simply setting the DISPLAY variable for it, like;
DISPLAY=:0 xvkbd
>>
>>52514096
You're welcome to not install 0.000001% of the arch official repo's for your "MUH FREEEEEEDUMS" argument
>>
>>52514411
I don't give a shit about "muh freedum" as much as I do about having a working system. I was just answering his question. He asked whether Arch respects his freedom and according to the FSF it doesn't. Now, the amount of shits you give about the FSF condoning Arch or not is a different story. I personally don't give one but the fact that Arch is not a 100% proprietary-free distro remains true.
>>
better question:

what is the BEST fat desktop environment?

http://strawpoll.me/6587597

(hint: there is only one correct answer)
>>
>>52511908
open up pavucontrol, under the output device tab, select the "set as fallback" button on the device you want
>>
>>52514283
>>52514309
Rolled back to before, going to install the free drivers. Also, would it be a problem if the laptop has switchable graphics?
>>
>>52514523
>Also, would it be a problem if the laptop has switchable graphics
Yes. This is the sole reason your xserver breaks when installing propietary drives.

Install *buntu/Mint and install the drivers using the GUI, it configures everything like black magic.
>>
>>52512070
because they have root access?

root isn't the same as "administrator", in windows, SYSTEM is the ultimate user, in linux, root is, root can do anything, no question

so the question is wrong, if you don't want a user to be able to do everything, don't let them have access to root
>>
>>52514523
Maybe. It certainly does with Nvidia's cards but I have no idea if that's the case with AMD. Just be careful I guess. Look it up.
>>
>>52514555
>>52514544
Oh, I see, goibg to take a look at it
thanks for the help
>>
>>52514157
>Fedora (the KDE spin
don't.
unless you're waiting for 24 and kwin working under wayland.

F23 + KDE feels like half-assed beta.
F23 + gnome3 or mate feels aight.
>>
Gonna build an actual PC soon, but I'm pretty broke as fuck.
Probably a stupid question but I should have no problems running linux w/ an AMD gpu & cpu, right?
I've been memed so hard before on intel & nvidia that I feel inclined to ask.
>>
>>52514209
>debian
>decent distro
>>
>>52514651
Depends on drivers available, especially GPU one.
>>
>>52514625
So, correct me if I'm wrong: Fedora runs under Wayland by default as of now but migration across the board is still incomplete. Qt 5 and GTK3 should be Wayland-ready (although the apps themselves won't) and the last major component to migrate is KWin, which is doing so in the next release. Right?

Also, how's Wayland overall in Fedora right now? Do you get crashes or weird shit going on often because of the half-assed upgrade? Does Fedora use weston or does it use xwayland or some other X compatibility layer instead?
>>
>>52514487
>no xfce
dropped
>>
>>52514770
What part of "fat DE" don't you understand?
>>
>>52514651
just don't get an apu, I had abysmal performance when I was using linux on an A8
>>
>>52514778
the part i overread desu
>>
File: 1452283692460.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1452283692460.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>>52514487
>http://strawpoll.me/6587597
>That ONE negro who chose Unity
>>
>>52514696
>Fedora runs under Wayland by default as of now
no
It's scheduled to run wayland by default in gnome session with the release of Fedora 24.

Right now running gnome wayland session is optional, you can download packages and try it out.
I have no idea what's the state of support on plasma5.

>Also, how's Wayland overall in Fedora right now?
eh i don't know it's been a while

>Do you get crashes or weird shit going on often because of the half-assed upgrade?
Nah thats not the case. Last time I tried it it mainly lacked HID-related stuff, keybinding, middle mouse stuff and such.

>Does Fedora use weston or does it use xwayland or some other X compatibility layer instead?
Wayland is a protocol.
Under wayland each window manager (mutter for gnome, kwin for kde) is basically it's own display server.
And yes, for compatibility with older applications there's the XWayland compatibility layer (and surprisingly the performance overhead is almost nonexistent)
Most gnome applications have already implemented native wayland.
>>
>>52514676
>>52514782
Looking to pick up an R7 370 & x4 860k.
Think I'll have problems with these?
>>
>>52514487
>no cinnamon

Faggot. That said, I voted KDE on general principles despite having never used it.
>>
>>52512320
>stolen easily
Passwords are a joke in windows:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/authentication_and_encryption/How-Cracked-Windows-Password-Part1.html

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/30654/why-doesnt-microsoft-implement-salt-on-users-passwords-in-windows

Besides the only benefit windows has in tying code to its creator is to keep control of its market. Implement whatever security measures you want in linux the point is that you can. Beyond that opsec is about the biggest problem with any security system.
>>
>>52514800
I was the 2nd one to vote and the 1st vote was for Unity, so... strawpoll's OP is either a fag or a troll.
>>
>>52514816
will be fine
>>
>>52513227
i use the integrated mail client in seamonkey, but before that i used evolution, which is excellent
>>
File: 1453212298651.png (332 KB, 1900x1078) Image search: [Google]
1453212298651.png
332 KB, 1900x1078
Can someone please tell me what dock this guy is using in gnome?

Thank you!
>>
>>52514813
>Wayland is a protocol.
I know Wayland is a protocol. I was just asking if it uses Weston, the full Wayland implementation or uses some an X compatibility layer by default.

Anyway, thanks for the other info. I guess I'll just wait for F24 then (I just read beta comes out in May).
>>
>>52514487
Cinnamon
>>
>>52511683
> So I moved from stable to unstable

This is the start of the problem. Debian unstable is for when you REALLY don't care if some packages or package dependencies are broken. What you have now is exactly this situation.

Suggest building Krita from source. Chances are the package version mess propagates to infinity if you start hunting for correct versions.

Another option would be that you didn't really update correctly and some old packages remain and were not upgraded to unstable. If this is the case, you might try forcefully updating them (possibly one at a time).

BTW: If you don't use aptitude yet, use it.
>>
Hey, I'm looking for a distro to install on both my desktop and laptop. I'll use it on my desktop just to do uni work, but on my laptop it'll be my main OS. I want it to be pretty stable, updated packages are a bonus, but stability is critical.
Currently thinking about Xubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuse.
>>
>>52515094
install gentoo
>>
>>52515094
just install arch with the lts kernel and read documentation before updating/don't update shit that works just fine
>>
>>52515094
If you want a good stable distro try Fedora.
Of the "bleeding edge" distros, Gentoo seems more stable than Arch.
>>
>>52515094
>I want it to be pretty stable, updated packages are a bonus, but stability is critical.
fedora it is
>>
>>52515198
>>52515213
Fedora it is then
>>
File: UagSWhh.png (16 KB, 669x557) Image search: [Google]
UagSWhh.png
16 KB, 669x557
>/etc/passwd
>doesn't contain passwords
>>
>>52515711
back in the day it did
>>
File: 1445671774634.gif (101 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445671774634.gif
101 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>52515931
>>
>>52514889
isnt that the default dock with custom icons?
>>
File: 1452287351771.png (94 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1452287351771.png
94 KB, 320x320
>>52516011
>Someone actually took the time to make this
>And it's .gif
>>
>>52516011
I skipped this entire thing and went straight to debian. 8/10 would reccomend
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.