[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. I'm a very anxious and cautious person building
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1453050138074.png (423 KB, 758x568) Image search: [Google]
1453050138074.png
423 KB, 758x568
Hey /g/. I'm a very anxious and cautious person building my first PC. I bought some high end parts; a 4790k, NH-D15 for overclocking, r9 390 (inb4 meme), and 16g RAM.

The problem is that I'm very afraid of fucking up the install. I've read/watched instructional material, but still, I don't trust myself not to fuck it up. I think it has to do with the overall cost, and my unfamiliarity with the process.

Two things worry me most: flimsiness/fragility of materials (i.e. motherboard snapping from too much pressure when pulling down the CPU clamp) and fucking the plugging in of the various power leads. Since I have four case fans, a graphics card, the two fans on the CPU cooler, I figure I'll be a retard and mix things up. It's still unclear to me how I'll be able to even control the fans if I'm plugging them into the PSU directly, considering there doesn't look to be enough jacks on the mobo.

Am I a retard for worrying? Any reassuring words, or foolproof guides?
>>
1. PCBs are made of fibreglass and are really quite tough.
2. Touch something metal before working on parts
3. Handle PCBs by the edges to help reduce risk.
4. Most common way people break things is by dropping them and knocking them off tables.

You don't need four case fans. Use two.
When you plug fans straight into the PSU they get a flat 5 or 12 volts and you can change that.

Don't be retarded and you'll be fine. It's expensive lego.
>>
>>52504296
>they get a flat 5 or 12 volts and you can change that.
and you CAN'T change that.
Sorry about that. If they're not plugged into the motherboard they won't receive control at all and will run at full speed.
>>
>>52504312
Will there be some wires that just don't plug into anything? I had a friend who fried his mobo by accidentally plugging in the floppy drive power on an old mobo (his words).

Is it easy to accidentally misthread the CPU when putting the die on the mobo? That's another fear of mine.

And when I apply the thermal paste, it's just a little bit, right? I don't want it dripping over the sides, I figure.

>If they're not plugged into the motherboard they won't receive control at all and will run at full speed.

Does this vary from one mobo to the next?

What I really need is someone to hang over my shoulder and tell me not to do obviously stupid shit.
>>
File: 1452964775555.jpg (179 KB, 590x454) Image search: [Google]
1452964775555.jpg
179 KB, 590x454
>>
File: 1453146824898.png (2 MB, 1112x844) Image search: [Google]
1453146824898.png
2 MB, 1112x844
Please, someone, assuage my distress.
>>
>>52504384
Thermal paste: there are differences of opinion, but my technique is a tiny blob in the middle, size of a grain of rice. That's it. It's only to fill in the microscopic voids/cracks between the CPU and cooler that would otherwise be tiny (insulating) air pockets: you're not making a jam sandwich here.

Don't panic. Sit down, have a cup of tea, read the manuals. Most of it is a piece of cake!

Plugging the LEDs and buttons in to the bottom was the hardest bit, and they label that nowadays. You don't have to worry about floppy drives anymore, or soldering RAM expansions, or SIMMs, or IDE, or SCSI termination, or anything.

Fans: Motherboard can control fan speed, PSU just blindly powers things. Doesn't vary as far as I know.

Motherboard: Ensure the risers (stand-offs from the case) line up with the motherboard's mounting holes. (Some people really do just throw it in there so the whole board is touching the metal case. Don't do that.)

RAM: Read the motherboard manual carefully as to which slots it is supposed to go in. If you have two sticks, sometimes it's 0 and 2, sometimes 0 and 1, sometimes the pairs are colour-coded but sometimes you're supposed to put one in each. Motherboard manual will tell you, and doing that wrong won't break anything, it just won't POST, recognise all the memory, stay stable (particularly Skylake) or work in dual-channel.

Use a magnetic screwdriver if possible, so you don't drop screws. If you do drop screws, pick them back up, don't leave any loose when you apply power.

You'll be alright. Stay patient, have fun.
>>
>>52504384
keep your calm, have tutorial videos open on another device of possible while building, build naked for extra static protection, and for god's sake read the fucking manuals

do you have a modular PSU? It's legos, just read the labels on A and plug it into slot B.
>Mobo power
>CPU power
>GPU power
>fans on headers
>front panel on the connector pins (asus makes this easy with a riser if you bought their brand)
>>
this is the most evil motherfucker, have fun when you get to this part.

bne sure to test everything outside of the case first too, build on your motherboard box (DO NOT SIT IT ON TOP OF THE ANTI-STATIC BAG)
>>
File: 6ioshield[1].jpg (109 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
6ioshield[1].jpg
109 KB, 800x600
>>52505433
forgot pic
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-19+at+04.00.53).png (46 KB, 339x320) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-19+at+04.00.53).png
46 KB, 339x320
The Bends
>>
>>52504210
protips:
1. Have grounded metal near you at all times and touch this before touching computer parts
2. READ THE FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS
3. CPU and cooler first, connect the PSU to the motherboard (outside the case) and test if the computer turns on (with a screwdriver spark the power pins)
4. dismount PSU and place screw motherboard into case
5. connect RAM, Vidya card, case cables, mount PSU, connect fans.
6. connect monitor
7. test if setup will boot and gives display
8. fix your cable management

cannot go wrong
>>
>>52505376
>have a cup of tea and read the manuals

Can't emphasize this enough. it's very important that you understand what you are doing
>>
>>52504210
Just Read the Manuals and do it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.