[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you give up a part of your body in order to replace it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12
File: tumblr_o02u4zkR6s1uk6apho3_1280.jpg (51 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o02u4zkR6s1uk6apho3_1280.jpg
51 KB, 720x1080
Would you give up a part of your body in order to replace it with bionics?

I'm talking full-on human augmentation.

>Never have to work out that body part
>Ability to upgrade
>No health problems from that body part
>But no feeling in that body part.
>>
Yeah. I really want to replace my teeth with lifelike implants but whenever I bring this up people give me funny looks.
>>
>Have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life
>Manufacturer forces you to have a new one surgically installed every year thanks to planned obsolescence
>Telemetry means that all your movements, utterances, and maybe even video are recorded
>Can be powered down by a kill switch by authorities/companies
>Needs to be recharged frequently
>Women find it hideous
>Have to pay huge sums to get it fixed if broken
>TOS clause where manufacturer not legally responsible for injury due to its failure/malfunction

and best of all

>Plays ads over speaker constantly
>>
>>52502295
Help me write a cyberpunk.
>>
>>52502240
Put my brain in a robot body and give that body a vibrating penis so I can still please my sexual partner.

Fucking please.

>>52502295
None of this shit would happen. Not even the need for anti-rejection drugs.

The only reason people take anti-rejection drugs with implanted organs is because that is foreign biological material entering your body. Anti-rejection drugs suppress the fuck out of your immune system until it's safe to let it detect the new part.

With bionics (Meaning: no actual biological material as seen in OP's pic) rejection couldn't happen.
>>
I would replace those little pinky toes so I couldnt feel tha pain after kicking accidently a table or chair
>>
>no feeling

Grats, you just made it literally useless for limbs.
>>
>>52502396
Not really.

The only reason you would truly need feeling is for pain, and when it's a robot arm that can be repaired at any time, pain isn't needed.
>>
>>52502343
I was going to write something but basically this.

We have plenty of materials with no rejection issues; the challenges are mainly in durability and other mechanical properties. I recall reading a few pretty interesting articles last year about how the main problems with current BCI electrode designs might not even be about biological rejection, but the nerve tissues getting fucked as they move around more than expected and the stiff electrodes don't match that, leading to "scarring". Some of those new polymer materials might be better in this regard.
>>
Bionics don't work. Play some deus ex.

You'll literally be forced to buy anti-rejection shit just so your arm doesn't fall.
>>
>>52502343
>none of this shit would happen
Are you retarded? Read a book for once
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2327202/
>>
>>52502429

ill take what are the now well established routine of hip replacements for $500, alex
>>
>>52502265
I'd do that if they were perfect implants, as in they wouldn't potentially reject years later and/ or cause dry socket.

>>52502424
So you don't like being able to feel fluffly blankets or some girl's sweet tits/ ass?
alright
>>
>>52502343
Why would you care about sex if you had a robot body? Unless you were put into a Data-tier android body, you wouldn't be able to feel anything on your skin.
>>
>>52502432
>The foreign body reaction composed of macrophages and foreign body giant cells is the end-stage response of the inflammatory and wound healing responses following implantation of a medical device

>INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE FOLLOWING MATERIAL IMPLANTATION

Would not occur. Robots don't do that.

>MONOCYTES, MACROPHAGES, AND FOREIGN BODY GIANT CELLS

Would not happen. Robots do not have cells

>Protein adsorption

Would not happen. There would be no protein to absorb.

>Macrophage adhesion
>Following blood-material interactions, platelets and the clot release chemoattractants, such as transforming growth factor

Would not happen. There is no blood-material interaction.

>Integrin receptors
Would not happen. Any receptors of nerve signals would be artificial, and therefore no able to be rejected by the immune system.

Poof: Does your immune system destroy a splinter when it enters your finger? No.

>Device failure

It's a robot. Fix it and you're done.
>>
>>52502497
True, but eliminating all sexual function wouldn't let me have any real relationship. I would still need something in order to please a partner whether or not I felt anything from the action.
>>
>>52502502
What the fuck are you talking about

The human you attach the robot part to is what has an immune response, not the robot you retard

We're not talking about your stupid robot idea you ignorant slut, the conversation is about bionics, not your stupid sidebar
>>
File: i never asked for this tea.jpg (214 KB, 1136x1584) Image search: [Google]
i never asked for this tea.jpg
214 KB, 1136x1584
>>52502265
>no augmented teeth that never need brushing or cleaning
>>
>>52502265
>>52502491
They already do this for people who lost their teeth. They just drill a socket into your jaw and they screw some porcelain replicas in place. A guy I know had it done after a bunch of his teeth were knocked out in an accident.

>>52502240
>no feeling
Well that would fucking suck. I'd only get it done if I was old and frail.
>>
>>52502343
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1230696-overview Not exactly a quality website, but I've heard of it before myself.

Continuing on my original post, how would they even work? Can you imagine planned obsolescence if they're anchored to the bone? Every few years you'd need to have metal severed from living bone. I
>>
>>52502525
Does the body start attacking itself when you lose a limb? No.

That would be exactly what it would be like. You lost a leg, and now it's a robot leg that has no connection to the rest of your body other than receptors.
>>
>>52502525
He's 100% correct. It's foreign proteins that the body reacts too. There's millions of people walking around with screws, plates, supports, joints, pacemakers, and other artificial bits implanted into their body. If it's not biological and properly sterilized, then nothing will be rejected. There's no need for Deus Ex anti-rejection drugs. That was just a plot point.
>>
>>52502531
I know, my dad had one and for some reason unknown to me he ended up having to take it out.
If there's a guarantee that that can't happen I'd consider them.
>>52502526
You'd still need to brush/ floss for your gums.
>>
>>52502555
You are literally retarded

"Adherent macrophages and foreign body giant cells in the foreign body reaction are now known to lead to degradation of biomaterials with subsequent clinical device failure."

You're done, goodbye
>>
>>52502572
>biomaterials
Not him, but you have terrible reading comprehension.
>>
>>52502583
YOU'RE DONE, GOODBYE
>>
>>52502543
>Continuing on my original post, how would they even work?

More than likely a rechargeable battery. Solar would be fun, but that would still drain over time and need to be charged conventionally.

>Can you imagine planned obsolescence if they're anchored to the bone?

Just make the implant itself a universal socket. Then legs/arms are interchangeable.

The implant itself could just be a connector. Then buying a new leg would just be like buying a new pair a shoes.
>>
I guess some of you haven't seen the bone anchored prosthetics.

http://www.popsci.com/fda-approves-prosthetic-legs-anchor-directly-bone
>>
>>52502588
There are no biomaterials.

You're done. Goodbye.
>>
>>52502622
YOU'RE DONE

GOOD
BYE
>>
>>52502240
So why exactly would some super advanced bionic part feature no feeling at all? We already have the technology to build pressure and other receptors into the prosthetics and then signal their readings to the user with things like electrode pads and vibrating things near the socket, etc. I imagine if we had the interface technology to make the limb fully functional otherwise, we could easily just connect this stuff straight into the peripheral nervous system.
>>
>>52502629
>let me just use this final trump card while ignoring these perfectly valid points so I can sleep better at night.
>>
>>52502612
>Fall hard on your bionic arm
>Poor materials engineering/rigid structure means the kinetic energy is transferred up the line
>entire humerous shatters into a million pieces
>>
>>52502707
There's no point trying to have reasonable discourse with someone who doesn't even have the sense to do a literature review before engaging in a discussion on a topic which necessitates a great deal of background knowledge to hold an informed opinion on

YOU
ARE
DONE

GOODBYE
>>
>>52502645
Feeling would be possible, but wouldn't removing that functionality allow for more utility in the limb?

>>52502714
So then don't get a shitty knock-off chinese arm? What's the problem here?
>>
>>52502724
Whatever helps you sleep better at night.
>>
No feeling, huh...

How about an augmented nervous system? You already don't feel your nerves, you feel WITH your nerves. I think technology can generate, transfer, and interpret electrical signals already.

You'd have perfect response time, and detect certain things. You'd basically have augmented senses.
>>
File: Onepunch-man_5.png (1 MB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
Onepunch-man_5.png
1 MB, 1600x899
Just turn me into genos senpai.
>>
>>52502727
You think we'll have magic, soft, bio-arms first gen? You'll be dead and skeletonized, possibly fossilized, before we have bionic implants with mechanical properties similar to, or more resilient than human organs and limbs.
>>
>>52502727
>Feeling would be possible, but wouldn't removing that functionality allow for more utility in the limb?
Having some feedback would probably be one of the more useful utility features.
>>
>>52502837
Hell no. I'm talking about limbs like OP's pic.
>>
>>52502380

Kek this
>>
File: 1451538230858.jpg (26 KB, 306x342) Image search: [Google]
1451538230858.jpg
26 KB, 306x342
>>52502295

>Have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life

This is false, the only issue with subdermal implants is scar tissue accumulation; this is negated by proteins derived from spider webs that the body doesn't react to. (Google it.)

>Manufacturer forces you to have a new one surgically installed every year thanks to planned obsolescence

3D printers already can make rocket engines from scratch, IP laws are on their way out.

>Telemetry means that all your movements, utterances, and maybe even video are recorded

You carry around a supercomputer in your pocket every day that does precisely this, except you literally tell it what you're fapping to.

>Can be powered down by a kill switch by authorities/companies

See point two.

>Needs to be recharged frequently

Putting aside increasing energy density in batteries, you sleep eight-ish hours a day don't you? Okay then, problem solved even with current tech.

>Women find it hideous

Opinions.

>Have to pay huge sums to get it fixed if broken

See point two.

>TOS clause where manufacturer not legally responsible for injury due to its failure/malfunction

Caveat emptor clauses only work in very specific situations. Not being able to sue a company due to defects in the goods they sell you does not apply. Assuming, again, you are purchasing your own limbs and not just homebrewing them.

2/10. Apply yourself.
>>
>>52502240
Me and my wife both agree on something regarding your picture OP.

Those robot parts are sexy and while we are extremely closed in our marriage we would 3 way fuck the shit out of her.

That shit is hot as fuck. It just is.
>>
>>52503615
>hey look I can hand wave all your criticisms away because my crystal ball tells me IP law is on the way out and it's not like major corporations will control a product likely to be heavily regulated

>thinks that people willing to do R&D on such complex devices will give it away for free like retards

>somehow it's okay to be watched or controlled even more intimately than through our telecommunication devices because hey, it's already done with telecommunications devices.
>>
File: lure.jpg (304 KB, 2824x1277) Image search: [Google]
lure.jpg
304 KB, 2824x1277
>>52503615
Either obvious bait or a complete moron.
>>
>>52502240
I don't want to spend the rest of my life dependent on Neuropozyne
>>
I would move my consciousness to a full machine body if there was some way it could be guaranteed it would actually be me in there and not just a perfect copy.
>>
Cutting your legs off below the knee would be worth it to replace your ankles with Cheetah prosthetics
>>
File: myartsmileyface.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1890) Image search: [Google]
myartsmileyface.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1890
>>52504369
fucking furries...
>>
Is it bad if I want to pop my brain into a female robot body and function as my own Waifu?

[spoiler]With built-in fleshlight[/spoiler]
>>
File: tumblr_lk1or6iUEJ1qabdo5[1].jpg (24 KB, 500x423) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lk1or6iUEJ1qabdo5[1].jpg
24 KB, 500x423
>>52504404
>>
>>52504431
This may sound odd but I could probably deal with a body like that if it moved smoothly enough and didn't have other huge disadvantages.

Maybe it would not itch _every fucking second_ at least. Fucking nature and its immune disorders.
>>
My eyes are shit, so would love to replace them, also shitty joints in my feet and knees.

Also eyes = AR and VR modes build in
>>
>>52502240
Why wouldn't we be able to have tactile, temperature, or pressure sensations?
>>
>>52503615
>>52502240
>>>But no feeling in that body part.
nope. Especially with current prosthetics. Current prosthetics don't last as long, are weaker, are painful to wear and use, susceptible to infection, and are in general worse than their biological counterparts.

here is an example of some problems:
http://www.amputee-coalition.org/resources/osseointegration-pros-cons/

>>52503615
do you have a single fact to back that up?

>>this is negated by proteins derived from spider webs that the body doesn't react to. (Google it.)
google is not a source. The only sources I can find relate to using the spiderweb as a cell scaffold. IE it gets absorbed by the body. For 'bionics' this does not solve the problem of bio-compatibility or implants getting infected.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/03/tech/innovation/spider-lessons-how-to-mend-your-body-with-silk/

>>3D printers already can make rocket engines from scratch, IP laws are on their way out.
with extensive post processing. As in removal by hand of METAL supports, and manual polishing of all components. Not to mention simply removing the powder requires a special inert gas hood to prevent the powder from exploding. A 3d printer capable of printing a metal rocket engine in this manner is unlikely to be in your home in less than 20 years.

If anything

3d printers also can't print computer chips or precision mechanical components. IP laws are most certainly not on their way out.

In fact, for consumer 3d printers things could get really bad. Microsoft just released a new 3d printed object format that supports DRM.
>>
>>52505217
source for file format: http://www.3mf.io/what-is-3mf/3mf-specification/
>>
>>52502240
teeth
knees
back
>>
>>52502240
I want SAO type virtual reality before bionics.

How far away are we from putting our minds in a different world with a controllable character? Could it happen in the next 50 years?
>>
>>52505322
very far.
>>
>>52505322
>How far away are we from putting our minds in a different world with a controllable character?
We could probably make a pretty convincing virtual world in a decade or two, but achieving complete immersion in it is going to be hard. Maybe if wearables become super popular and then through some miracle it develops into an implanted cyberware fad...

Then again, if we could arbitrarily signal stuff into the brain (no displays with pixels, just forced perception of light/patterns, etc.) we probably could get away with a much less "realistic" world. Once the mind got used to it it might not feel very strange at all.

>Could it happen in the next 50 years?
That's even more fucking far away so I'd say yes.
>>
>>52502240
>But no feeling in that body part.

Fuck that. We're getting good at haptics and sense data. Bionic limbs go hand in hand with improved senses. I will be having my vision widened to include infra red and ultraviolet, my hearing widened to sub sonic frequencies, my sense of smell tuned up better than a dog's, hearing like an owl, echo location like a bat, magnetic field detection like a shark, radar, sonar, fucking wi-fi telepathy. Fuck you no feeling.
>>
>>52502295
But we never asked for this
>>
>>52502240
eyes
no point in feeling your eyes anyway
>>
File: image.png (16 KB, 188x205) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16 KB, 188x205
Id give up both my arms
Pic related
>>
>>52502240
>getting killed by your backdoored arm
>>
>>52502572
if it works for peacemakers, I don't see why it shouldn't work for a leg or an arm, you just need a proper surgery.
>>
>>52502472
>hip replacements for $500
That's exremely cheap, actually.
>>
>>52507346

>new arms
>women find it hideous
>can't fap
>fap anyway due to loneliness
>need prosthetic penis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOwsQEw7_I
>>
>>52502240
brain augmentation when ?
Discrete augmentation is the best augmentation.
>>
>>52502240
I would replace bad teeth.
And bad organs if there is a decent bionic substitute.
I'd keep my own limbs though, unless of course I lost one involuntarily.
>>
>>52502526
Just eat sugarless food and no grains
>>
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it's worth it.
>>
definatly fingers and or toes bc obvious choice, i wouldent go as far as to get rid of an arm or leg but yeah fom its lit
>>
>>52508241
I second this
>>
>>52502240 hmm my bad eyes (fuck you astigmatism)for working ones with hud ? Where do I sign ?
>>
I'd be down to volunteer one of my eyeballs for augmentation under the condition that I get free upgrades as an early adopter
>zoom in/out
>take photos
>view different waveforms
>easily pop it out to scare kids
>can wear an eyepatch if it's too freaky
>HUD for my life
>>
>>52502429
I'd be willing to be broke if I had augmentations like Jensen

>sir you have to pay for this parking ticket
>"fuck you"
>activate typhoon explosive system
>leave
>>
>>52502555
if it has no connection how are you supposed to use it retard
>>
>>52509286
>all those photos immediately uploaded to the cloud
>take picture of your own children playing in the garden
>get visit from the police because algorithms identified you as taking pictures of children, meaning you're a pedo

or

>DRM prevents you from being able to see videogame you pirated
>software automatically prevents you from viewing any copyrighted material
>can't watch movies at friend's house because /they/ own the movie, not you
>bow down to corporations that now own our bodies
>>
>>52502240
>>But no feeling in that body part.

Then no.
>>
I'm slowly going deaf (I have a condition that makes the tiny bones in your ear slowly fuse together), so I'd gladly get bionic ears. I expect this to happen in my lifetime.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1334
If the tech was better than my real shit, maybe.
>>
>>52507474

>prosthetic penis comes with vibrator and clit-tickler
>totally a hit with the ladies
>still have to change your penis batteries
>>
>>52510222
There are already things like cochlear and auditory brainstem implants with Bluetooth support and everything. Their sound quality isn't amazing but it's possible to understand speech and recognize noises after some adaptation; they'll probably be even better than that when you really need one.

I think they were trialing a similar electrode based device for retinal degeneration or something just a while ago. Just imagine receiving mememedia straight into your nervous system.
>>
I was going I say dick since mine is small as fuck, until I read the no feelings part.
>>
>>52509358
Neural implant
>>
File: kill.png (856 KB, 1280x980) Image search: [Google]
kill.png
856 KB, 1280x980
>>52502240
Ill take eyes because mine are shit and I just want to wear a trench coat and sunglasses all day and night.
>>
>>52510060
augmented teeth
>>
Eyes, ears, teeth 100%
>>
Fuck yes i would. And there being no feeling is stupid, we'd have sensors still.

Ghost in the Shell up in this motherfucker!!!!!!!
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.