[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had it with Libre Office. For University it is impossible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: LibO_Logo_Highres_Color.png (76 KB, 1600x407) Image search: [Google]
LibO_Logo_Highres_Color.png
76 KB, 1600x407
I've had it with Libre Office. For University it is impossible to survive in non-CS major with Libre Office (mine is chemistry)

Excel chart from professor came out wrong, power point notes all have wrong formats (superscript and subscript format is messed up in Libre Impress), I work in .ods spreadsheet then when I export to xlsx the chart came out altered - messed up axis

This is some bullshit. After all these years, why can't I have office that just werks on Linux
>>
>>44342192
>just werks
literally blame microsoft for using nonstandard formats
>>
Yeah, I can really get behind LibreOffice in principle, but in practice it fucks all kinds of formatting up and one of my instructors just flat up told me "I won't take assignments from you using this program" so I've basically been railroaded.

Try OfficeOnline, OP. I gave it a test drive the other day and it actually worked pretty well. You need a M$ account to use it, but it's all the functionality of Office without being hooked entirely into the botnet.

...entirely. Sorry, Stallmanu. Some sacrifices must be made.
>>
>his college doesn't fully support the Open Document formats
>>
Yup, Just suck it up and Wine a version of MS Office, or do your work in the school computers.
>>
>.*office
>not R and LaTeX

What a shitty university
>>
Microsoft Office is free for College students now.
>>
>>44342192
It's like you've never heard of Kingsoft Office before.
>>
OP sound like an entitled piece of shit.
>>
>>44343199
This. This. So much this.

WTF OP? How are you doing science with *Office and not LaTeX?
>>
>>44343199
how to spreadsheets?
>>
>>44343282
>spreadshits

Why you need them?
>>
>>44343282
R data frames and tables
>>
File: wps-office-ribbon.jpg (88 KB, 867x468) Image search: [Google]
wps-office-ribbon.jpg
88 KB, 867x468
>>44342192
>not using WPS office

So you can use free software, made by a few people who want to read some .docs sometime maybe (but mostly use ODF)

Or you can use proprietary software that is the official office suite of the whole of fucking china, which includes people who want to and have to view, edit, and share MS-formatted files
>>
>>44343324

>Chinese bonnet
>>
>>44343463
>Le closed source botnet meme

If you're worried, run it in a VM and monitor network traffic and disk I/O. Tell us if you see anything out of the ordinary. Set up decent firewall rules if you're still paranoid.

Nobody's noticed anything so far though
>>
Didn't the city of London set FOSS formats as an official standard? MS Office is by far the finest office suite, but its formats are fucking cancer.
>>
>>44343292
Engineering companies use them extensively.
>>
>>44343199
This. Im a chemist too and couldn't be happier with these two.
>>
>>44343495
or just run a VM and don't connect it to the internet or your network
>>
Kingston office? It's not "free as in freedom" but it's free!
http://www.wps.com/linux/

I think.this might have better compability with microsoft office.
>>
>>44343695
Yup, but as a student you can choose the best tools for the trade. You have the rest of your life to cope with all that office shit which can be literally learned in seconds so why bother torturing yourself with them at this stage. Excel is good only for listing things, matlab and R are superior alternatives if also you have to do calculations.
>>
>>44343026
No, Office fucks shit up.
>>
I only care about two things. Writing and doing spreadsheets. Which are the better options in terms of quality? And in terms of compatibility (because very few people would be using the best option, as usual, thanks to Microshaft).
>>
There's an Emacs command for everything M$ Office does.
>>
Or just export your shit to .pdf and turn that in. You know, like a literate person. What, are you your grandparents?
>>
>all problems literally caused by Microsoft's monopoly and blatant disregard for standards along with a retarded university
>"I'VE HAD IT WITH LIBREOFFICE"
>>
>>44342192
>turning in your shit in fucking odt or doc(x) format
dude
We invented a format for this shit
It's called PDF.
>>
>>44342192
>I work in .ods spreadsheet then when I export to xlsx
Why would you do this though? Microsoft Office supports .ods
>>
>>44344585
Office 2010 does not support the proper odt/ods
It supports version 1.1 and not 1.2.
>>
>>44344599
Then tell your professor to upgrade already.
>>
>>44344620
But 2013 is cloud cancer.
>>
>>44343282
who the fuck uses spreadsheets in 2014?
>>
Stop being poor, Office is free for University. Office 365 is like $6/year/person if you know four other people that want it.
>>
>not using LaTeX
wow, you deserve everything bad that's happened to you.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.