[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: examples of shit tier coding languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
ITT: examples of shit tier coding languages
>>
PHP
>>
>blaming a language for a shitty implementation
Find a better JVM then.
>>
>>43805755
and pics please
>>
applescript
>>
>>43805772
>classes
>garbage collector
wow, look at this faggot
>>
>>43805700

>coding languages
>JVM

how is comp sci 101 going so far?
>>
>>43805700
C
C++
C--
Objective-C
>>
>>43806032
C-- isn't a language meant for human use.
>>
File: 1409034860437.jpg (217 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1409034860437.jpg
217 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>43806043
Fine. Ignore that one. I don't really think something loosely based on C is a decent idea for an intermediate language, but whatever.

I stand by the rest.
>>
>>43805785
That post gave me PTSD.
>>
File: we need more woymn programmers.png (36 KB, 801x727) Image search: [Google]
we need more woymn programmers.png
36 KB, 801x727
>>
>>43805700
>coding
Kill You'reself
>>
>>43806152

What the fuck is this from?
>>
>>43806193
Swift™
>>
>>43805785
What? Applescript was God tier.
>>
>>43805755
A fractal of bad design
>>
>>43805789
Just because the language has a feature that contains the word "garbage" in it doesn't mean the language itself is garbage you fucking moron.
>>
>>43805789
How many dicks did you suck today?
>>
>>43806326
But anon, the average /g/eveloper thinks he's the best dev ever because he's managed to write an entire 1 file C mini-application and managed to use raw pointers without the whole thing segfaulting!
There are no memory leaks either - at least he thinks so, because he has no idea how to check that.

So this makes him an expert developer and he totally can't understand why there'd ever be a need for garbage collection.
>>
>>43806511
Not him, but I'm glad I'm not the average developer.

Who wants to manage their own memory today? That would get in the way of the interesting stuff.
>>
>>43806095
It's based on C in the same way LLVM-IR is based on CISC assembly. It kind of shares a syntax but that's just for the sake of easy readability without having to learn a whole new language.
>>
php and windows
>>
>>43806631
Me neither. The performance cost is negligible. For the average application, it doesn't matter anyway.
But the amount of time you save debugging is insane. People who think these errors are easy to find probably never worked on a big application.
>>
>>43806669
Pretty much all GC languages also build in the assumption of non-failure, making them effectively useless on anything that hopes to provide QoS.
>>
File: Smug.jpg (32 KB, 480x531) Image search: [Google]
Smug.jpg
32 KB, 480x531
All of them are shit-tier
>>
>>43806688
Lisp has been used for space projects.
>>
>>43806669
>People who think these errors are easy to find probably never worked on a big application
Funnily enough, most big applications use custom garbage collectors unless they specifically require manual management. Definitively, they haven't worked in big projects.
>>
>>43806743
>Lisp has been used for space projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp1e505TBHI
>>
>>43806743
So has Comic Sans.
>>
>>43805776
I think he means to reference 4chan as example.
>>
>>43805700
Your mom
>>
>>43805700

JavaScript
C++ Obfuscated through inexperience
JavaScript
Swift
PHP
JavaScript
>>
>>43807190
>Not mentioning JavaScript
Kek.
>>
>>43807219

JavaScript is the only esoteric language in widespread use.

'What would happen if we made a language designed to make compiler optimizers want to kill themselves?'
>>
>>43807323
JavaScript: the only scripting language that can't ever be compiled sanely. Runtime "optimizations" only.
>>
>>43807323
This is what happens when a language that was developed in one weekend under heavy alcohol influence fills an important niche.
We are in urgent need to introduce another language that web browsers can understand. Preferably one that can transpile into Javascript for older browsers that can't interpret it.
>>
>>43807493

Its called Dart and if Google released the Dart VM under a GPL compatible license it would take off.

But then Google's ownership of the internet would be complete.
>>
>>43807493
Some Anon suggested using LLVM bytecode, which could be nice in case browsers had completely isolated virtual machines because that would mean pretty much any language could work, but a whole new language altogether or Dart could be nice, too.
>>
>>43807593
I don't think that would improve it. Adding LLVM sounds like just another layer of bloat to maintain.

Browsers and the web shouldn't be this fucking complex.

Yet I need all of this shit, just to shitpost on 4chan.
>>
>>43807593
That would be pretty clever. The llvm bytecode I mean. We'd just have to make sure the transition is smooth.

But I feel like web developers don't want to change. They like their javascript. They've gotten used to its shittyness, they know the workarounds, they know how to make the page render 50 femtoseconds faster.
Unlike other developers who need to know multiple languages and learn new things all the time, web developers seem to be happy with learning JavaScript. I don't see how we could get them to change.
>>
>>43807397
Let's not forget that retarded newline semicolon autocorrection feature that makes
return 
{ "fag": "object"};

return an empty value.
Or the lack of total block scope.
I don't think, having only four days to design a language is an excuse for JavaScript.
>>
>>43807642

The whole internet infrastructure could be happily scrapped and rebuilt from scratch because everything from HTTP to HTML right down to the ip system is completely outdated and no longer fit for purpose.

The problem is that the sheer anarchy built into the internet is essential to keeping the internet free and open. Its actually through a series of coincidences that the USA has managed to manage the internet so effectively, because through its own campaign of surveillance it stopped other countries from doing so.

Recently the USA started proceedings to move control over the internet over to the UN but I don't think the UN is actually capable of managing it.

The committees that manage the standards for key web technology are all raging freetards and some of the unsung heros of the tech world. Moving to something like Dart would give too much control to one entity.
>>
>>43807721
>I don't think, having only four days to design a language is an excuse for JavaScript.
That comma. Ouch.
>>
>>43807743
You need to learn the difference between the web and the internet, anon.
>>
>>43807747
Neat.
>>
>>43807721
And I barely see mentioned that object inheritance is supported but only if you change prototypes manually. It's that fucking crazy.
>>
>>43807766

One is software and the other is hardware but they function as a single entity.
>>
>>43807777
Thanks, and nice quads.
>>
>>43807787
I refer you to my previous post.
>>43807766
>>
>>43807789
At your service, numberfag.
>>
>>43807810

This is some recursive shit you've got going on.

I refer you to my response to your previous post.

>>43807787
>>
>>43807818
Numberwang, get it right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r6NY4Kl8Ms
>>43807823
Read these two pages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web
>>
>>43807785
OOP in Javascript is one giant hack. I mean, come on, you create a fucking FUNCTION instead of a class. You create an object out of that function by the "new" operator.
Inside the function's "members functions" you can't use the this pointer, you always have to make a "that" pointer. Stupid.
And then there's the entire prototype system, holy shit. And the fact that you make variables public and private by declaring them in completely different ways.
>>
>>43807864

> One is software

"The World Wide Web (abbreviated as WWW or W3,[1] commonly known as the Web) is a system of interlinked hypertext documents"

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web

> One is Hardware

"The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion devices worldwide. "

> But they function as a single entity

"system of interlinked hypertext documents that are accessed via the Internet."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web

"The Internet carries an extensive range of information resources and services, such as the inter-linked hypertext documents and applications of the World Wide Web (WWW), "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

So Again, I must refer you to my response to your previous post

>>43807787
>>
>>43807913
>While the Internet's hardware can often be used to support other software systems, it is the design and the standardization process of the software architecture that characterizes the Internet and provides the foundation for its scalability and success.

They aren't a single entity any more than gnu and linux are.
>>
>>43807940

They aren't a single entity when one is entirely dependent on and a consequence of the other?
>>
>>43807972
Are you and your mother a single entity?

Think carefully.
>>
>>43807986
hopefully the
>entirely dependent on
isn't that applicable here, but my point stands, I think
>>
>>43807986

I don't 'run' on my mother. I can exist separately.
>>
>>43808006
Are trains and rails a single entity?
>>
>>43808014

Rails didn't give birth to trains.
>>
>>43808034
But trains are pointless without rails.
>>
>>43808059

So they function as a single entity.
>>
>>43808034
We may have drifted from the point a little, but that was hilarious.

My point is that the web isn't the internet.

You can run your own "housewide web" without being connected to the wider internet.
>>
>>43808072
You heard it here first. Trains are rails.
>>
>>43808076

And my original point was that JavaScript makes me itch.
>>
>>43806511
>But anon, the average /g/eveloper
The average 'developer' here has 3 books and no chance of getting a job doing this in the real world.
>>
>>43807721
brotip: strict mode
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.