[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
howdy guise. i'm being sued by a movie company for torrenting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: producer.jpg (37 KB, 374x380) Image search: [Google]
producer.jpg
37 KB, 374x380
howdy guise.
i'm being sued by a movie company for torrenting a movie. my lawyer suggested settling because if i deny it they might be able to 'create a profile' based on my internet activity (e.g. how much i torrent and such) to show that i'm full of shit. does anyone know what exact info they have access to?
>>
File: 1422410486384.jpg (183 KB, 472x668) Image search: [Google]
1422410486384.jpg
183 KB, 472x668
>>46841358
>does anyone know what exact info they have access to?
1. Ask you're lawyer, not a bunch of computer nerds on an anime image board.
2. It's a law thing, not a technical thing. You're ISP may or may not keeps logs of everything you do. It's entirely up to them. Call and ask about there data collection and retention policies if you really want to know.
3.It's a legal matter. If you're ISP does keep logs and the prosecution files a subpoena they may hand over all, some or none of the logs depending on the situation.
4. I am not a lawyer and none of this is actual legal advice. In fact I pulled most of this out of my ass.
>>
Your lawyer's an idiot. If they're suing you it's because they saw you torrent their movie. They don't need a "profile," they have their logs of the torrent swarm showing you uploading their content to them.
Your only chance is if your state courts agree that an IP isn't an identity, so you may be able to get the case thrown out based on the fact that they can't link the infringing activity to you.

Considering you're on the hook for a few hundred thousand dollars, you might want to look into settling. It'll probably be a few grand.
>>
>>46841534
he actually seems to know what he's talking about though. they've apparently done it in the past.
>>
>>46841554
all the more reason to listen to him, and not anonymous people on an anime image board.
>>
>>46841554
And?
>>
>>46841600
>>46841466
>I don't know anything
Then leave.
>>
Was it an old movie? Declare the CTEA a violation of clause 8 and go to the supreme court.

>To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.
>limited times
>CTEA: life+70
>violation of the spirit of the law

Was it a new movie? You're fucked and have no legal precedent over the jews, only a philosophical one. And they are creatures of man-made systems, not the inherent rights and mutual respect natural to most non-psychopathic/autistic great apes. Move out of this totalitarian shithole that doesn't even respect your natural property rights (muh shekels tho!). Skip court. Go to chile or somewhere. Forge a new identity. Live free.
>>
>>46841628
>>>/pol/
Bye
>>
>>46841358
Talk them it was CP disguised as their movie.
>>
>>46841643
>hurr bye

Sorry for posting politics in an inherently political thread. Some loser's legal advice isn't on topic in the first place.

Would you cool your kvetching if I let you know that I am also a jew and therefore have the social right to casually use jew, kike, hooknose, heeb, and schlmo as insults, or are you a muslim/fundie christgoy that will only kvetch more now? :^)
>>
>>46841728
>>>/pol/
Bye
>>
>>46841358
What movie did the movie company claim you torrented?
>>
>>46841358

LGTSS >OP

You deserve it. First cause you actually took the bait and responded to movie company and secondly cause your lawyer is dumb as fuck.
>>
File: 1412228817239.jpg (258 KB, 989x1484) Image search: [Google]
1412228817239.jpg
258 KB, 989x1484
Just out of curiosity, what movie was it?
>>
>>46841842

i have not actually responded. i'm pretty sure that my lawyer knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>46841854
i'm not sure if it's a good idea to say it here.
>>
>>46841839
This.

did you at least you a private tracker?
>>
>>46841869

How did they contact you? Via email or mail?
>>
>>46841883
mail.
>>
File: Sued by Kate Upton.png (268 KB, 772x845) Image search: [Google]
Sued by Kate Upton.png
268 KB, 772x845
>>46841901

Then it's legit. Move to eastern europe or pay them.
>>
File: 1423333707791.jpg (72 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1423333707791.jpg
72 KB, 1920x1080
check out die troll die.
>>
>>46841807
The OP itself is already /pol/.

But something tells me that you wouldn't be responding right now if I never used "jews" to refer to corporate fatcats and called them "purveyors of non-free software" instead.

For the record, I refer to actual jews as just "people", the rest as "non-jews", and the worst as "jews".
>>
>>46841959
>>>/pol/
>>
>>46841977
You mad. :^)
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.