[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Woke up to find out I purchased a Sony Vaio Pro 13 last night.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
Woke up to find out I purchased a Sony Vaio Pro 13 last night. Oops. Seems to be a nice rig. Tired of MBAs and MBPs. Too bad it has 8.1.

Are Ultrabooks the future, or are tablets going to be the thing?
>>
Phones that dock and turn into desktops are the future.
>>
>>43325696
>Woke up to find out I purchased a Sony Vaio Pro 13 last night.

How do you buy a laptop and not remember until the next morning?
>>
>>43325696
>install start8 or classic shell
>enjoy windows 7+
>>
>>43325696
I like ultrabooks, but I've never owned one so I can't give a detailed use review.
>>
>>43325712

I'm not really sure. All I remember is grabbing my credit card
>>
>>43325709
Phones that dock INTO ultrabooks, which can also be converted to tablets, are the future. Also microwaves that can properly cook hot pockets.
>>
>>43325770
>microwaves that can properly cook hot pockets.
keep dreaming
>>
>>43325770

They have them already, its called Ovens
>>
Are you retarded?
>>
>>43325726
Typical case of a mindless consumer.
>>
>>43325824
You should thank him, Anon. Without people like him, where do you think our already-in-shambles economy would be?
>>
they are supposed to be "flimsy", and feel a little "cheap". but other than that it has some superlative features.

I was looking at them when I bought my MBA last year, seems like a good rig. Hope you enjoy.

also, install linux.
>>
>>43325824
>>43325854

I woke up to ASAP Rocky playing on my stereo and beer bottles next to me

help
>>
>>43325861

What made you choose the MBA? Battery life?
>>
Modular anything is the future.
>>
>>43325927
battery life was the big one.

I also couldnt find much if anything appealing in the same specs for weight, cpu and ssd at a $950 pricepoint (after student discount)
>>
>>43325988

Do you run OSX now, or a variant of Linux?
>>
>>43325996

Hey, international business requires something light, and I wanted something different, and at 999 USD it wasn't a bad idea.
>>
>>43325942
im not sure thats true.

modularity is cool, but its not easy for normies, its not cheap, and since external interconnects are so much more bulky, variable and cumbersome than internals ones it makes products bigger heavier and creates more waste.

even the trend in cars is to move from massive factories that put one part on at a time to smaller factories that each make some sub assembly and a few hundred sub assemblies are put together at a small factory to make a car.

if your spedo goes you have to replace the whole dash. if you burn out a headlight, you have to buy a whole headlight assembly instead of a lightbulb.

less modularity means a lower ticket price, and thats what moves product.
>>
I thought Sony stopped making Viaos
>>
>>43326070

Well, SONY did. VAIO is an independent company now, and is currently only planned to be sold in Japan for now.
>>
Where did you even buy it from?
>>
>>43326098

Newegg
>>
>>43326089
ah fair enough
>>
Go 17" or go home
>>
>>43325696
that things shit, shoulda just got a 15 inch with better specs
>>
>>43326143
>2013
>using something bigger then 13.3 on a mobile device.
>>
>>43326000
so first the one other thing that my friend said to me that put my foot in the door of the apple store was that he mentioned the resale value was very good, and it is. I've actually thought about selling this and buying a new one this fall (might wait one more year). Selling a two year old laptop at 50-60% of the retail when you bought it is unheard of, and looking on craigslist, not a totally unreasonable expectation.

so, your question, I tried at the start to put linux on it, and I thought I could figure it out, but they do make it really hard to boot to external media.

It was actually a big disappointment at first that I couldn't figure it out, but i think im mostly over it. I would like the piece of mind of having a free OS, but functionally the OSX terminal is totally functional and a trivial transition from linux.

macports is great, it runs pretty much anything that linux can run without the glitches and bugs that you get running some FLOSS packages on windows.

There are some other things that really bug me about the laptop, but overall i'm really happy with it.
>>
>>43325712
I woke up and realized that I spent some bitcoins on drugs but I don't remember doing it
>>
>>43326472
well hopefully they will encourage you to purchase more random things.
>>
>>43325712
Must have been a wild night.
>>
>>43325696
I did this but with a Thinkpad Yoga.

Cancelled it, but it ended up at my doorstep anyway and they still charged me for it.
>>
>>43325696
Display is medium bright.
To much reflection on the display (because of touch screen panel)
You can get vaios dirt cheap now, so they are good for the price atleast.
>>
>>43325927

MBA is best ultrabook
>>
What the fuck is this bullshit right here?
>>
>>43326639
an hdmi port, its labeled...
>>
>>43326639
Because of this it's quite nice to type on.
>>
>touch screen on a laptop
>windows 8

>>43326639
I think it's like that for heat dissipation and to type easier.
>>
>>43326186
What this anon said. It feels almost exactly like linux. I was looking into the newer thinkpad line, but comparing specs the rmbp came out cheaper. Ended up with the rmbp with no regrets besides the 128gb ssd which I am now getting a full refund for after 2 months thanks to a call from apple asking if I could trade it in for the new refresh.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.