[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/... I come forth to humbly ask for guidance on how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 14
File: 3UjWEcS.jpg (205 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
3UjWEcS.jpg
205 KB, 500x333
Hey /g/...

I come forth to humbly ask for guidance on how to torrent music, and how to do so safely. Long story short, a couple of months ago, I broke up with my fiance and unfortunately, he was the technologically inclined one. One of the casualties of our breaking up was he got the home theater PC he built, which, unfortunately contained all of our combined music libraries and I'm now utterly music-less...

I'm not utterly hopeless with computers, but I'm certainly not going to partake in any web development or programming any time soon either. So, I humbly ask, what steps do I need to take to start downloading music? I'm going to acquire a 1-terabyte external hard drive and I am vaguely familiar with the uTorrent program, but, I have NO idea what sites to use (I know I need to avoid Demonoid like the plague) and how to go about this safely.

Any and all help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. I realize how obnoxious us "lesser technologically inclined" may be, but I'm simply asking how to do this, not for someone to do it for me, if that helps my case any.
>>
Also, I realize this post treads a fine line as far as what is permissible to post here, but I don't entirely believe this is a tech support question so much as it's a "how to" sort of post... I'm not sure if that's still in violation, anyways, but, my apologies if it is. I just don't know where/whom else to ask about this.
>>
>>43037899

>download qbittorrent
>go to any torrents.to since I don't want to tell you where any better ones are
>look up your file
>look at the amount of seeders / comments. no problems? good to go
>run the torrent file, select file path
>music acquired

How hard is this?

>torrent
>safely

There's always risk unless you are more technically inclined.

If it's too difficult for you, go to mp3skull or something and just straight download the music. You can listen to the file before you download it.

Enjoy your "Cease and Desist" letter.
>>
>>43037965

I realize "safely" is a bit of an oxymoron, but, in my case, I'm just trying to figure this shit out and in such a fashion that I'm not going to receive a cease and desist letter within a week.

Do you have any recommendations as far as torrenting sites go? I recall my ex using The Pirate Bay at one point, but, I have NO idea if that's still safe or questionable or not, or where I can keep up with this online independently as it appears from my woefully ignorant perspective that these sites are taken down with regularity and brought back up to entrap torrenters...
>>
>>43037965
Also, do you have any recommendations as to where I can lurk to gain more knowledge and insight into the technological realm in general, one that isn't deliberately elitist and e-penis stroking for the sake of e-penis stroking so that I might become somewhat less hopeless in these matters?
>>
>>43038065
E-penis stroking sites are where you learn the most.
>>
>>43038123
To clarify, I have no interest in creating an obscure linux system or following bitcoin (where I've seen most of this phenomena), I'm just trying to find a site conducive to me becoming self-sufficient in these matters.

I am open to suggestions should you have them though.
>>
File: GTAGentoo.png (55 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
GTAGentoo.png
55 KB, 250x141
>>43038065
Technology is elitist by design.

/g/ is pretty much the best tech community. We may be a bunch of meme spouting paranoid faggots but we can help you and we will, we just won't sugarcoat our advice.

If you don't like it >>>/out/
>>
>>43038185
Sugarcoating isn't necessary, perhaps just some understanding on where I'm coming from would be helpful as I could use help figuring out how to keep track of which torrent sites to avoid or not as I don't yet have any means of following this aspect of the internet.

I get that I need to find a site that seeds torrents, clearly, my issue is, where can I go where I'm not asking for trouble, that's all.
>>
File: trackers.png (301 KB, 1393x1705) Image search: [Google]
trackers.png
301 KB, 1393x1705
>>43037899
get into private torrent trackers, top tier for music is what, but you'll have to pass an interview. Whether or not you decide to get into what,
www.whatinterviewprep.com/
is a good read.
>>
>>43038345
By passing an interview, I imagine they'll require some degree of proficiency with the torrenting process and in doing so, does that ultimately mean I'd lose my anonymous (mostly, within reason, I know they can track down IPs, etc, they're just mostly interested in the offenders offering the torrents in the first place I've been led to believe), "downloader" status and place me in legal jeopardy of any kind?
>>
>>43038462
Any tracker you use has your IP, that's by design.
You'll have to trust a tracker and it's staff to use it, at least private trackers are somewhat sheltered and don't let copyright trolls in (both by restricting who gets in and by legal voodoo).
The interview is done in IRC, so all they'll have is your IP, your nick and any email adress you decide to give them for your account.
I haven't done the interview myself since I got directly invited, but I'm told that if you read the site I linked you should be pretty much perfectly prepared.
>>
>>43038015
Your best bet is to use a seedbox. Find one in the NL, it's a hurdle for the MPAA/RIAA to jump through to locate you. It's not 100% safe but I don't think people have had an issue with them. You torrent from the seedbox and then securely download them to your local computer afterwards.

They're fairly cheap monthly and worth the price. You'll want one anyway if you want to get on private trackers.

If you want music, go interview for what.cd. There's an interview preparation site that tells you everything you need to know. But if you don't know anything about how torrenting or private trackers or audio file quality works, then it may be tough for you to pass.
>>
>>43038345
You could also beg on /mu/ (or here) for an invite to mutracker. The selection is considerably smaller, but you'll get in easier.
>>
soulseek
>>
>>43038654
whatyearisit.bmp
>>
>>43038611
Hm... Audio file quality shouldn't be much of an issue and I'd be willing to research it/I know that's something within my scope of abilities...

Otherwise, how involved will these sites generally expect me to be, should I pass such an interview?
>>
>>43037899
>pirate
Ektoplazm.com
Get yourself some creative commonst music.
>>
>>43038462
They require you to understand the simple concepts of seeders, leechers, and ratio. Anything else they ask is related to music formatting.
>>
>>43038690
Fair enough, that makes sense... I assume it's fair to say they're going to want or will require a decent ratio of seeding to leeching? (I confess I hadn't considered the seeding portion of this endeavor much as I've been concerned about how much my involvement will make me culpable for should shit hit the fan)...
>>
>>43038672
I'm on several trackers and don't give two shits about the community. Usually you'll have to login once a month or so, and you'll probably be required to keep some minimum ratio. Other than that they tend not to care what you do or do not (as long as you don't cheat, sell invites etc.)
>>
>>43037899
If you want to be truly safe, get a good VPN. Otherwise just don't overdo it and you should be fine.
>>
>>43038752
Might I inquire as to what a VPN is?
>>
>>43038672
It's all in
http://www.whatinterviewprep.com/

If you can understand everything in there, then the interview will be really easy. Take some notes on the particular file format stuff for reference during the interview.

>>43038736
Yes, what.cd is strict on a 1:1 upload:download ratio (after you download a lot) and it is extremely hard to get much uploaded since everyone uses a seedbox and you'll never really be able to upload much. Which is why you need your own seedbox.

Or fulfill bounties. People pay something like 20GB for $10 of music you can buy and upload for them.

>>43038791
Just look up torrenting seedbox or torrenting vpn, there will be lots of resources on how to do it safely.
>>
>>43038791
Virtual Private Network, it helps you because it is essentially a proxy server you'd connect to for all of your downloads so your ISP can't see what you're downloading. Pay $10 a month or less, safely download as many torrents as you want. Just make sure the VPN is outside of the US and trustworthy.
>>
>>43038737
Another question I have as well, is, are various trackers slanted more towards various music genres or torrent types? Some of what I'd like to download is more obscure at any rate and I'm not sure how to figure out which tracker would be best for what or if that's readily apparent.
>>
>>43038736
If you plan on downloading more than 30 GB of music from what.cd, get ready to work to maintain your ratio. Or get a fast seedbox.
>>
>>43038843
Do you personally have any recommendations of a VPN to go with from your own personal experiences/reviews?
>>
>>43038854
Fair enough... Might I inquire as to what a seedbox is and how it functions then? Are they something you download or is this a service I acquire through a particular site, etc?
>>
>>43038876
Not really, I've been meaning to get one but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. A quick google search should point you in the right direction though, or maybe someone with experience here will answer you.
>>
>>43038844
What has the biggest library when it comes to music, there are some more specialized trackers around, but they generally serve a subset of what what offers. Here's some numbers:
Torrents: 1,941,664
Releases: 811,004
Artists: 674,984
"Perfect" FLACs: 576,090

You can also put up requests and have other users upload what you want
>>
>>43038736
Yes, private trackers will require seeding. On What.CD, the system is very simple; it's amount uploaded / amount downloaded. Because everyone is trying as hard as they can to seed, people with faster internet connections naturally seed more. Average American internet might be quite difficult to get a decent ratio with on What. The solution to this is either be patient with slow seeding, or to get a seedbox (essentially a private server somewhere that you rent which is designed to have fast upload speed). Whether you want to pay to pirate is your call.

other trackers can be much easier to seed than What, especially if they use a point system that gives you points over time for having your files /available/, even if you're not actually the one giving people data. On What and elsewhere, there is often "freeleech", which is generally a torrent you can download without it counting towards your downloaded files, but still have anything you seed from it count towards your upload. Carefully using freeleech and uploading new content are excellent ways to improve your ratio.
>>
>>43038916
Makes sense, and I thank you tremendously for your help.
>>
>>43038961
I have a mutracker invite if you want it. None of my friends give a shit about it. They are pretty new but have built up to about 10,000 artists and 16,000 releases.
>>
File: rutorrent_index.gif (35 KB, 904x546) Image search: [Google]
rutorrent_index.gif
35 KB, 904x546
>>43038844
Actually, the easiest way is to just use rutracker. It has most of what what.cd would have, and doesn't have a ratio requirement which is a pain to fulfill without spending a lot of effort. It's in Russian but your browser can autotranslate it.

I'd recommend using a seedbox. It'd cost around $10/month for a cheap one and is generally safer and easier to setup than a VPN. It can be easy for a VPN to leak traffic if you don't set it up 100% properly. Seedbox is a bit more hassle since you have to download the files off of it after torrenting, but it's not a big deal.

The seedbox runs a torrent client and you manage it with your web browser. The interface is similar to utorrent but slower. Then you grab the files off it using an FTP client. Here's a screenshot example.

If you do use a seedbox then you can build up a ratio on private trackers like what.cd fairly easily, by downloading and seeding freeleech torrents.
>>
Note that if you pass the What.CD interview, upload five new torrents of which at least one is a perfect flac rip (you'll learn what that is on the interview site) and stay for a certain period of time, you can get Power User status. This gives you access to the Power User forums, where many other private trackers have invite threads. Basically by showing you're trustworthy, you can get invites for free to other trackers (What.CD is recognized in the community for having strict standards, and its users are generally welcome elsewhere).
>>
>>43038937
That brings up another unfortunate point in my plight haha... I have your average, run of the mill, shitty American internet provider with no hopes of really working around it (and for that matter, I'm not sure there's another internet provider within the area that's any better).

What torrents generally fall under the "freeleech" category on a site like What.CD?
>>
File: power1.png (69 KB, 862x631) Image search: [Google]
power1.png
69 KB, 862x631
>>43039032
I just looked at the Power Users forum on what.cd. You sure it talks about invites? All I see are 80% drug threads and blogs.
>>
>>43039047
Usually the staff picks them or users donating a lot of money. It's not a specific genre, and no matter what your taste is, you'll most like find something you like from time to time. To me, it's a great way of discovering new music.
>>
>>43039032
Holy shit I should boast my e-peen on other trackers
>>
>>43039103
There's the PU forum and then another Invites forum
>>
>>43039103
> "Anyone I invite Sucks"
Serves you well for inviting people
>>
>>43039047
They change constantly. Freeleech status usually last for about a month or so on a given torrent. All kinds of genres are represented. I found when starting out that I would just download all formats of all new freeleech regardless of if I wanted to listen to it, just to get the upload. pic related, current top freeleech.

>>43039103
Forums > community category > last link in the category
>>
>>43037899
>2014
>not using you tube to mp3
>>
>>43039161
Oh, neat. Maybe I should finally get an tracker with American TV/movies. What's the recommended one? PTP?
>>
>>43039185
PassThePopcorn is movies, no tv is allowed
BroadcastTheNet (BTN) is tv. I'm not on it so I can't tell you much about it.
>>
>>43039184
>implying I don't
>implying I've downloaded anything from what or anywhere else for years
i log in every now and then to stay active, I use popcorntime for movies, and grooveshark for songs
>>
by the way, OP, popcorntime is a godsend for tech illiterate people who just want to watch relatively known movies at 720p or 1080p for free without a headache

security is so-so, would recommend reading up on it, but basically the program is a torrent tracker that streams the movie so you can watch it as you download it. Assuming you don't have anything against YIFY encodes - you probably don't - you should enjoy it.
>>
>>43039299
torrent client* not tracker
>>
File: Limewire_pro.png (70 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Limewire_pro.png
70 KB, 300x300
>>43037899
>>
>>43039103
OP here... Uhhh... I won't lie in saying that while I'm sure it's going to happen anyways, I do NOT in any way, shape or form, want to be affiliated with a tracker that's partly or mostly drug trade or black market related...
>>
>>43039396
OP here, and, no real hard feelings but... Fuck you.
>>
>>43039434
don't worry about it. they don't sell drugs on what, lol. it's just that the power user forum has a culture of having forum threads about drugs. a bunch of people talking about how high they are. maybe drug discussions aren't allowed in the regular forums? idk.
>>
File: titsorgtfo.png (100 KB, 1254x261) Image search: [Google]
titsorgtfo.png
100 KB, 1254x261
>>43037899
you know the rules op

tl;dr
tits or gtfo
>>
>>43039592
Well, again, my ignorance is glaring through haha, but I thought I had caught, at one point, word of a super shady "silk road" drug trafficking site/internet/thing that was recently taken down? These private trackers don't function in a similar fashion do they?
>>
>>43039703
It's just people sharing experiences on a private forum. I mean there's drug threads on /g/ all the time too.

what.cd is pretty popular and widely used so I don't think you need to worry.
>>
File: 1398557840785.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1398557840785.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>>43038015
>>43038015
>Piratebay going down
i like to seen them try. Whats the longest its been down for? 1 hour?
>>
File: cZrr3bS.gif (988 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
cZrr3bS.gif
988 KB, 444x250
with the right torrent client you can just get all your shit from thepiratebay.se or use to flvto youtube downloader to rip shit straight from YouTube, been doing both for a while and yet to receive a cease and desist letter
>>
>>43039972
>piratebay
>flvto youtube downloader

Why are you posting here?
>>
>>43039691
Lost this ages ago. Thanks anon.
>>
>>43039703
you are sounding more and more like a troll from the questions and answers you are posting but as long as the answers are easy...

the silk road and site like it were marketplaces designed for transfer of real goods using currencies like bitcoin.

no private tracker does real good transfer. they are all about downloading things for free. (this is aside from donating, buying merchandise to support the site, etc)
>>
I'm serious, checkout popcorntime. It's literally netflix for free.
>>
>>43040078
>yifi
I'd rather watch cam rips with russian audio
>>
>>43040078

>not even paying the 10 bucks or whatever a month for Netflix

I don't understand, you want everything to be free but somehow still want to get paid once you get a job?
>>
>>43039000
I'm not op but I'd love an invite to mutracker, any chance of me getting it?
>>
>>43040332
You'd have to post your email first...
>>
File: blahblahblah.jpg (49 KB, 885x559) Image search: [Google]
blahblahblah.jpg
49 KB, 885x559
>>43040078
>>
>>43040385
please. http://www.time4popcorn.eu/
>>
>>43040447
DO NOT TRUST THAT.
popcorntime.io is the safe one.
>>
>>43037899
the somalian docks and who disc
>>
>>43040447
>>43040460

>collecting all your service because you fucking don't know what they're doing
>giving it all over to the authorities for some money
>"But they said it was totally ananamouse!"
>>
>>43040447
>built in vpn
legit as fuck
>>
>>43040224
epic
>>
>>43040447
>>43040460
Why would you not just use XBMCtorrent or something similar
>>
>>43040369
Yes this. Hurry I'm about to leave.
>>
>>43038015

Most torrents site will have a comment and rate system to let you know if a file is safe or not, you have to let your common sense guide you here. On sites like PirateBay dedicated and "safe" uploaders will have an icon next to their username, you can trust those without the majority of the time but be careful and check comments.

Honestly, the easiest way to find torrent sites and torrents for music is just searching Google
for like "britney spears torrent" and it will bring up results from various torrent tracker sites.

If you can get an invite to What.cd or register on
Rutracker that will probably be enough for your music needs.

As for the idiot saying she should get a seedbox, are you high on autism?
>>
>>43040588
>autism
OP clearly said she's interested in security and that she has slowish internet. So, we recommend What.CD and other private trackers, and we recommend VPNs and seedboxes. All we're doing is pointing her to the things she needs to accomplish her goals.

read the thread.
>>
>>43040588
>As for the idiot saying she should get a seedbox, are you high on autism?
Only if they feel like being able to download as much as they want. It's not easy seeding on a private music tracker from most home connections. And why would you want to be slowing your internet speed when you could just host it somewhere else for $10/month?
>>
>>43040549
are you retarded? OP doesn't want to learn how to learn linux, set up XBMC, etc, etc. She wants to watch movies. That's the point of PT. It's EASY. It's EASY, /g/tards. Install and push play.

I downloaded a textbook from what the other day, hadn't used it from my current location before. I knew what settings to put on my client and how to find my router address and how to port forward to my computer, etc. A noob has to google every one of these steps; it will take them hours or days to get things working.
>>
>>43040577
any chance your still heree
>>
>>43040801
OP here: Sadly, yes, I am looking for a basic, simple solution that doesn't entail me setting up another Linux based HTPC like my ex put together (albeit quite poorly). I'm honestly just looking for something that will allow me to download music securely (or, as safely and low key as possible) and store it in an external hard drive my laptop has no issue finding files in or file paths (as I don't even want to TRY and sort out something with complex networking).
>>
>>43040903
To add, I have learned a HELL of a lot within this thread though and I'm looking into researching a few options first. I contacted an old acquaintance and in exchange for me buying him lunch, he's going to help me sort out finding a VPN and a couple of simple private trackers and show me how to do this in person so I can hopefully become more self sufficient in these matters. I do again, thank everyone for their input, help, explanations and advice though.
>>
>>43040953
are you guys going to fug?
>>
>>43038654
>soulseek
A lot more people should be recommending this ITT. There's some shit you won't find on what.cd or rutracker that's on there.
>>
>>43041457
May I ask how they differ or what one has to offer the others you've listed do not?
>>
>>43040894
Sent ;)
>>
>>43041518
It doesn't have as good quality control as most torrent sites and shouldn't be your primary place to download, but it's easy and by my knowledge (I could be wrong) can't be linked back to you. At least I've never heard of a case with soulseek.

It's a program that you select a folder (probably your music one) and it shares it. After that just search music under the search tab. It will show everyone who has the music you want, what quality it is in, and if they are online or not. If they are not online it won't download immediately but will start when they turn on their computer.

I don't recommend it for everything but it's ratio free, easy, and has a huge selection of obscure shit which is hard to come by in other places. Go to /mu/ if you have any more questions about sites to look at if you are still uncertain after this thread.
>>
>>43040801
Lol since when does using XBMC mean you have to use Linux? And do people actually think installing an add-on on XBMC is hard? I was just thinking it would make more sense considering you can watch whatever releases you want and you don't have to worry about using a service that goes down and gets a new name every week.

Either way, streaming transcodes is for plebs.
>>
>>43041621
so basically limewire? newer, I assume.
>>
>>43042344
>for plebs
yes. yes they are. that is what op is. I'm glad you understand this.
>>
>>43042344
*shrugs* Hell if I know... My ex had a helluvatime with the HTPC we had and it had network issues out the ass and it ran on linux, hence my association with it. Might I inquire as to what XBMC is then if it's not something my ex was using or something to that effect?
>>
>>43042563
If I'm a "pleb" so be it; I've no interest whatsoever in delving into the dark arts of linux and building shit I'll realistically never need or use.
>>
>>43042870
You're in the wrong place in this case
>>
Anyone have a PTP invite? The only thing I can trade for it is a what.cd invite.
>>
>>43042841
>*shrugs*
*unzips katana* YOU WANNA SAY THAT AGAIN BIG GUY? *slices throat*
heh, that's what I thought
>>
>>43042870
get out
>>
>>43043365
o_O...
>>
File: beta.jpg (30 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
beta.jpg
30 KB, 500x373
ITT beta faggots.

Read the wiki, filthy whore. I'm glad you ex-fiancée came to his right mind when he decided to dump you.
>>
>>43038015
>>43037899
Use rutracker org, can't fuck with them russians you know.
So what were you guys gay lovers in a union or what?
>>
>>43042841
*grabs by the throat* BACK THE FUCK OFF!?!?
>>
>>43043733
I assumed OP was a fedora wearing faggot, xe talks like one
>>
Where did all the faggots from this thread come from and why are they playing fucking tech support for a slut?

Google your shit, you worthless worm. There's much information about your stupid questions floating everywhere on the internet, like plebbit and those tech cancer forums.

Just look, we've got several tumblrfags performing their internet mating rituals and some faggot just used a fucking emoticon.
>>
>>43037899
Go usenet and use a SSL connection.

/thread
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.