[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/, Apple's just made Xcode 6 free, so anyone can s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: Apple_Swift_Logo.png (26 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Apple_Swift_Logo.png
26 KB, 256x256
So /g/, Apple's just made Xcode 6 free, so anyone can start using Swift

When are you going to start learning?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/11/5891247/apple-engineers-are-now-blogging-about-swift
>Apple's done away with the need to be a paid member of its iOS or Mac developer programs in order to download a beta version of Xcode 6
>>
>>42942838
As soon as
a) I'm either compensated for it or
b) the infrastructure becomes open source and runs on other OS than FagOSX. and even then, it's optimistic. Guess, I'l rather use another modern language like D or Julia.
>>
>>42942838
I don't have a Mac
>>
>>42943183
>>42943100
>I don't own a mac but my opinion matterns in a mac-specific thread
>>
have they fixed swift being slow as fucking balls unless you use -Ofast (at which point there's no point to the language at all)?
>>
>>42943100
>a) I'm either compensated for it or
So you're going to wait until people want work in Swift done, instead of learning it pre-emptively? You're going to be late to the party instead of staying ahead of the curve? Seems pretty dumb to me.
>b) the infrastructure becomes open source and runs on other OS than FagOSX. and even then, it's optimistic. Guess, I'l rather use another modern language like D or Julia.
This is meant as a language for OS X / iOS, numbnuts. It has no other purpose. It will never be open sourced, and it will never come to another platform. Stop being so bloody retarded.
>>42943183
My brother doesn't have a mac but he still develops for iOS (by running OS X in a VM). Why? Because $$$.
>>
Just installed it and libquvi works now. Yay
>>
>>42943510
>This is meant as a language for OS X / iOS
Why should OSX/iOS have its own special language?
>>
>>42943568
-7/10
>>
>>42943599
If you are >>42943510 then you're being a cunt and I'm going to leave this thread
>>
>>42943568
Because Apple wants to. Their platform, they can do what they want. And if it makes good business sense for them to do it (which they seem to think it does), then all power to them.

Why should Microsoft have .NET and C#?
>>
>slower language than fucking python unless you disable everything
No thanks.
>>
>>42943391
I don't own a Mac but I am the iOS developer at work. U mad?
>>
File: Capture.png (5 KB, 602x90) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5 KB, 602x90
>>42943614
That ain't me.

Go ahead bub. Dunno why you even joined it.
>>
>>42943618
>Why should Microsoft have .NET and C#?
They shouldn't. The biggest downside to C#, which is a wonderful language, is how Microsoft-centric it is.

>And if it makes good business
Again, everything just revolving around money. Why should I use a language if its sole purpose is for Apple to make more money?

>>42943644
Okay I'll argue a little longer
>>
>>42943614
no Im not that guy, I was just responding to
>Why should OSX/iOS have its own special language?
You cant even be serious about asking that...hence the -7/10
>>
>>42943510
>So you're going to wait until people want work in Swift done, instead of learning it pre-emptively? You're going to be late to the party instead of staying ahead of the curve? Seems pretty dumb to me.
If you were a slightly experienced programmer and knew two or three programming paradigms you'd know that learning another language of one of those paradigms is pretty much trivial.
And besides iOS is not that relevant that you must be "ahead of the curve".
>>
>>42943654
>You cant even be serious about asking
I don't see what's so absurd about the question. C, C++, D, Javascript, Python, Perl and many more programming languages work on multiple platforms and are general purpose and aren't intended to be confined to one specific operating system. Why should Swift be?
>>
>>42943648

Do you even make iOS/OSX apps? If not, why do you even care about this thread?

>Why should I use a language if its sole purpose is for Apple to make more money?

Because you can also make money by helping them make money.
>>
>>42943726
I didn't realize this was a "mac-fanboys only" club, I'm sorry.
I guess the idea of developing for iOS on non-Apple operating systems is too absurd of an idea. I'll leave you to jerk off Steve Jobs' corpse by yourself
>>
>>42943712
Jesus dude, how dumb are you??
Apple has historically always been a company making special snowflake products. In the past their shit worked with literally nothing else, printers, displays, fucking everything was Apple's own special thing. So why WOULDNT Apple make their own special programming language? They have been doing shit like since the very beginning, and continue to do so to this day. Hell, they even did it to themselves with the switch from the 30-pin connector(itself a special snowflake) to the Lightning connector(another special snowflake). You are fucking stupid.
>>
>>42943670
>iOS is not that relevant that you must be "ahead of the curve".

From http://www.syncios.com/blog/tag/apples-app-store/

>Since its introduction, the App Store has grown by leaps and bounds. As of June 2014, the App Store had seen 75 billion total app downloads, a massive number compared to the 1 billion apps downloaded milestone Apple hit in 2009.
>75 billion total app downloads
>>
>>42943497

Yes. -O and -Ofast are now basically the same (very fast) speed. -O0 also got quite a bit faster, although still ~5x slower than the preceding 2.
>>
Does this mean anyone can sideload iPhone apps now?
>>
>>42943648
>They shouldn't.
Why? Just because it personally offends you?
>Again, everything just revolving around money.
The world does revolve around money, after all.
>Why should I use a language if its sole purpose is for Apple to make more money?
So YOU make money. I could just as easily say "why should I get a job if its sole purpose if to make my employer more money?" or "why should I ever purchase any services or goods if the sole purpose of such a transaction is to make the transactor more money?"
>>42943670
>pretty much trivial
Except its not. If you want to develop for iOS or OS X then you have to learn it. Unless you learn Obj-C. But that'll be deprecated within the next couple of years. And it's horrible.
>>
>>42943642
no you're not
>>
>>42943800

No. Jailbreaks mean that.
>>
>>42943841
How the fuck are you supposed to develop apps if you can't load them onto your phone and test them?

Do you have to wait 5 business days for Apple to approve every test build you make?
>>
>>42943847
>being this fucking clueless
>>
>>42943847
iOS emulator
Part of the SDK
>>
Only runs on mac.
>>
>>42943847
Also you can put your own apps on your phone, my brother has apps he's currently developing on his phone and they're not in the app store. And he's not jailbroken.
>>
>>42943847

You can with an iOS developer account. Otherwise, you're stuck with the simulator.
>>
>>42943886
So jailbreak is for everyone now then?

1) Get free SDK
2) Sign unsigned exploit with your key
3) Load to phone
>>
>>42943778
>From http://www.syncios.com/blog/tag/apples-app-store/
Most of those apps are quite trivial to implement. Remember they're supposed to run of tablets and phones.
And the number of downloads to me is irrelevant. I think the fact the distinguishes the app story to google play or whatever that is called is that even with less market share, there are more payed apps being sold for ios than for android

>>42943811
>Except its not. If you want to develop for iOS or OS X then you have to learn it. Unless you learn Obj-C. But that'll be deprecated within the next couple of years. And it's horrible.
of course you have to learn it but after you have experience with other similar languages and the frameworks you'd use it's pretty much trivial. There's nothing in swift that there isn't already in other languages. You just have to learn the syntax and the names of the keywords and some few specific details of the language.
Come back after you've done anything relevant.
>>
>>42943847
You have to VM an image of OSX and then emulate and iphone within that.
>>
File: yo dawg 31.jpg (19 KB, 741x487) Image search: [Google]
yo dawg 31.jpg
19 KB, 741x487
>>42943958
>>
>>42943510
>So you're going to wait until people want work in Swift done, instead of learning it pre-emptively? You're going to be late to the party instead of staying ahead of the curve? Seems pretty dumb to me.
Learning shit like this takes me 1 - 2 weeks max.
It's an industry lang, it's designed to be groged fast.
>This is meant as a language for OS X / iOS, numbnuts. It has no other purpose. It will never be open sourced, and it will never come to another platform. Stop being so bloody retarded.
So I can skip to superior solutions right on. Nice.
>>
>>42943811
>Except its not. If you want to develop for iOS or OS X then you have to learn it. Unless you learn Obj-C. But that'll be deprecated within the next couple of years. And it's horrible.
Or: I just copy the template swift file to run linked C/c++ code and resist being a fag.
>>
>>42943922
That's pretty much how Pangu and gba4ios work, although the former still requires a computer to exploit some hole in the sync feature of iOS to send payloads to the device. They use an expired enterprise certificate which for some reason the device doesn't reject. Who knew setting the clock back could be so effective?

>>42943886
To expand on your point:
To test your own apps on iOS you need a developer account, and then request a certificate profile from Apple which they sign and is valid for x days, which you then load onto your device. Your device then accepts any apps that you sign with the signed cert from Apple. There's still a chain of trust from Apple to the device. The app you load onto the device via Xcode is still technically signed code, it's just not loaded via the app store.
>>
>>42944163
>An operating system that is signed code only
>The signing party is profit-driven, and beholden to third parties (carriers) with their policies of what gets signed (Angry Birds) and what doesn't (tethering apps)

Why are iOS fags allowed here on /g/? They have less than no freedoms.
>>
>>42943510
>This is meant as a language for OS X / iOS, numbnuts. It has no other purpose. It will never be open sourced, and it will never come to another platform.
this is not true, Objective-C is open source and runs on the LLVM backend as does Swift. Objective-C is also part of gcc. There is nothing stopping anyone from using Objective-C on other platforms except no one has written GUI libraries for it like Cocoa for other platforms
>>
>>42943391
>mac
>relevant
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.