[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decent touch typing resources
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: touch-typing.png (413 KB, 729x491) Image search: [Google]
touch-typing.png
413 KB, 729x491
/g/ents

Have been meaning to learn to properly touch type for a long time. Do you think you can equip me with a decent guide and/or tool through which I can learn?
>>
>>42893310
If you need to relearn to type anyway, learn a sane layout like Dvorak or Colemak.

Colemak is easier to learn, it keeps more keys the same as qwerty.

I personally use Dvorak, it's comfortable as fuck.
>>
>>42893310
I taught myself this way:
I forced myself to ALWAYS keep both my index fingers on the nubbed keys. Then I'd look at the keyboard if I had to from time to time, and things came naturally pretty quickly.
The key is to FORCE yourself to always keep your indexes on the nubbed keys.
>>
>>42893310
I used www.typing-lessons.org
Liked the little flash tool that yells at you if you make a typo.
>>
>>42893705
but what about my shortcut keys?
>>
>>42893780
Which ones? Colemak preserves the bottom left 4 keys for copying, pasting and things of that nature.

I have no problem using them with Dvorak though.

One of the harder things to get over when switching to a new layout is text-editor muscle memory. I use default Vim bindings with Dvorak and it works great. It's a bit of a challenge, but it's not that bad.
>>
>>42893820
don't listen to this NEET.
just learn the standard keyboard for your country and you'll be fine.
If you jump into the special snowflake bandwagon you'll be wasting everyone's time
>>
>>42893898
Top kek,

The only time you'll be wasting is your own if you continue using a worse than random layout.

I guess you got butt-devastated by your lack of will power, huh?
>>
>>42893925
well, I actually have a job, and I'd be looked at as a retard if I had to spend time switching to obscure keyboards every time I have to use somebody's keyboard or when somebody else wants to use mine.
But I still love you for being a special snowflake <3
>>
>>42894040
Keep telling yourself that's why you couldn't do it, kek.
>>
>>42893310
http://klavaro.sourceforge.net/en/
this is all you need
>>
>>42894068
>kek
>kek
kill yourself.
>>
>>42894131
Top jej
>>
So Dvorak or qwerty?
>>
>>42894230
dvorak if NEET/hipster
anything else if you're a normal person
>>
>>42894139
jej there m8
>>
>>42894253
Hahahah, enjoy your objectively inferior keylayout.
>>
File: dude whoa.jpg (46 KB, 550x481) Image search: [Google]
dude whoa.jpg
46 KB, 550x481
>haven't looked at the keyboard since 9th grad
>see people talking about "touch typing"
>wtf is that
>apparently it's just normal typing
>it even has its own wikipedia article
>mfw
>>
>>42895948
enjoy not being able to use any keyboard but your own, you might as well make your own custom layout if you aren't using qwerty

also
>objectively inferior
[citation needed]
>>
>>42896078
>enjoy not being able to use any keyboard but your own
Every major operating system since 1995 (and most before) supports Dvorak. It's apart of ANSI. You're clearly incredibly ignorant about this, maybe you should reevaluate how valuable you consider your opinion to be.

QWERTY wasn't designed to be reduce awkward strokes. Other keylayouts were.
I recommend you look into what hurdles and double hurdles are. (Try typing "minimum" with the proper finger position)

Not to mention that QWERTY only has a single vowel on the home row. Most of QWERTY is not typed on the home row. Other layouts are designed to fix that.

There's plenty of other reasons as well, like the fact that QWERTY has a poor distribution of finger/hand usage.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.