[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people still so hung up on being able to have massive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: img_7857.jpg (24 KB, 700x546) Image search: [Google]
img_7857.jpg
24 KB, 700x546
Why are people still so hung up on being able to have massive amounts of local storage? These days, it's feasible to have a relatively inexpensive home server box on your LAN. Home servers are more than just an alternative, they're an improvement. It's simply a better idea, for many reasons, including:

1. Stability. Instead of relying on a Windows install to hold up and allow you to access files, you can install whatever Linux distro you want on your home server, to manage your files. You can still play all the Windows games you want, and still have all your files stored on an ext4 filesystem.

2. Compatibility. Windows only likes to play nice with other Windows machines. A Linux (or even a FreeNAS, really) install plays nice with just about everything.

3. You can turn off your desktop PC. You don't have to depend on your desktop PC to be on in order to access your files anymore, nor do you have to leave your desktop PC on to seed torrents. Instead, you can have a low-wattage Linux-based server handling those things (and much more, at your discretion) for you.

4. It opens up a whole slew of new computing options for you. It doesn't matter whether you're using an all-in-one, a nettop, or a tablet. You still have access to the same amount of storage capacity when you're at home.

5. Noise. You'll naturally experience drastically less hard drive and fan noise when all of your hard drives are in a closet down the hall.

6. Scalability. When you fill the six SATA ports in your desktop, you either shell out for an expensive and/or dodgy SATA card, or buy unsightly external drives, or you're done expanding. When you fill the six SATA ports in your home server, you simply set up a second server box and stack it on top of the first one.

Home servers are the elegant file storage solution of the 21st century. Rest in peace, local storage.

Pic related: It's the Fractal Node 304, a Mini-ITX case that can hold six 3.5" drives. ~24 TB, the size of a large toaster.
>>
>>42890929
Sounds cool, OP. How do I get started on this?
>>
Seconded how do I get started with a small home server?
>>
>>42891304
Also, if I wanted to make a beefy computer to stream steam games from, would it be worth it to have a separate server for storage and another one for gaming, or should I put them all in one box?
>>
>>42891002
Setup a cheap computer. Put linux on it. Enable SSH, FTP and install own cloud
>>
Sounds like a great idea for storing movies.
>>
File: file server.jpg (440 KB, 996x3019) Image search: [Google]
file server.jpg
440 KB, 996x3019
>>42891002
>>
>>42890929
Hi you're retarded.

Gigabyte ethernet has shit random access, not all files are just movies that can be access sequentially.

Stability and compatibility are problems that just doesn't exist when the disks are on the same system.

Why would I need to access my files anywhere when I just sit at my battlestation when I reach home?

Hard drive noise is overrated in a good case.

Why would I need more than six drives, and is a second server box cheaper than a sata card?
>>
>>42891477
>Gigabyte ethernet has shit random access, not all files are just movies that can be access sequentially.
These files are usually not big in size. You can store these on your normal PC and back them up on server.
>>
>>42891461
>copy these invisible text boxes in this jaypeg
huehuehue
who the fuck made this
let's make it impossible for newbie to set up samba shall we
>>
>>42891477
>Hi, I am an autist and I cannot understand how people could have different needs than I.
>>
>>42891580
KEK
I never read it thoroughly enough to notice that. That's a stupid guide.
>>
So, if I were to create a home server, would my parents be able to access it from their tablets and watch films from it?
>>
>>42891689
Not if you set it up right.
>>
>>42891718
You mean if I set it up wrong?

What would be the point of a home server if it can't be accessed and used?
>>
>>42891689
Yeah, if you set it up right.
>>
File: node304.jpg (706 KB, 2065x3202) Image search: [Google]
node304.jpg
706 KB, 2065x3202
just today mornning I had thread about case for my upcoming NAS / Torrent server

I found out about embeded intel CPUS mobos

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128698

$85
quad core pentium
10W
passive cooling
>>
>>42890929
My HTPC runs Windows 7 for media center TV recording of all the girly friends mindless crap. Is there a Windows guide for this?
>>
File: Lots of implications.jpg (335 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lots of implications.jpg
335 KB, 1920x1080
No point running a NAS as I'm more or less constantly rendering something, either for myself or for others. Currently, it's a better way of turning electricity into cash than mining.
>>
>>42891933

Rendering?

Explain this, if you would
>>
I'd like one but I can't justify the cost
>>
>>42892757
Looking at the image, probably rendering 3d images.
>>
What I'm wondering about is the interface.

I'd really rather not use ftp to grab stuff from the server. Also I would want access from android tablets.
>>
>>42893079
By "use ftp" I mean on the command line.
>>
I have a Synology NAS next to my router/modem/etc setup. It's nice to have. I can stuff all my movies on it and access them anywhere in the world, whether I'm on my phone, tablet, laptop or PC.

I think tomorrow I'm going to start using it as a sync tool for my laptop and PC, both syncing up with the same files so I have all my documents, pictures and music wherever I take my laptop, even offline and if I don't have my laptop on me, I can still access all my files anywhere.
>>
>>42893079
Google WebDAV. It's a great protocol.
>>
>>42893102
>any file transfer protocol usable from the shell is "ftp"
Kill yourself.

Ironically enough, FTP and SFTP are the best way to get stuff off a fileserver to Android, via Ghost Commander.
>>
File: ftp+windows+explorer[1].png (116 KB, 795x600) Image search: [Google]
ftp+windows+explorer[1].png
116 KB, 795x600
>>42893079
You can ftp from explorer and it looks identical to accessing any other folder.

Alternatively you have smb etc.
>>
>>42893193
Very nice...
>>
My HTPC is my torrent box/home server. Lack of noise and heat at night are welcome.
>>
>>42890929

>Why do you have local storage? Instead store your data on your LOCAL area network.

u wot m8
>>
>>42890929
So uh, should give my friend 100 bucks for his Poweredge 2950? Are they pieces of shit? Am I an idiot for wanting it?
>>
>>42891461
Worst infographic ever made.
>>
>>42893798
>Poweredge 2950
Fine but prepare for fans. Servers don't come quietly!

You can put SATA drives in it, but make sure to ask your m8 what caddies he has.
>>
>>42893835
It's okay, I'll shove it somewhere the noise won't bother me.

What do you mean caddies? I looked online and it seems there's 2.5" and 3.5" hot swap trays. How bad are these on power?
>>
>>42891789
>quad core pentium
>integrated
WHAT
>>
>>42893233
Can you stream from that?
>>
>>42894006
>How bad are these on power?
A nightmare. This would be great for VMs, webserver, etc, but total overkill for a fileserver.

That said, $100 is a total steal, especially if it comes fully loaded, so get it anyways
>>
>>42894298
BGA package.
>>
>>42894344
To clarify, probably 200 watts on a low load
>>
Of course it's good enough if you just watch movies
But it's not fast enough for other stuff
>>
>>42894344
So when you asked about the caddies the only difference is 2.5" and 3.5" drives, right?

It's not fully loaded, it's missing drives, but it's got 16GB of ram and 2x 2GHz Xeon quads.

I have a couple of the WD Enterprise drives I could hook into it. They're only 7200rpm, is that going to be a problem? I'm pretty new to servers at all, but I've been wanting something for a while. I'd use it for a web server, maybe setup a VPN and some game servers for me and my friends.

Thanks for your polite advising!
>>
>>42894562
>So when you asked about the caddies the only difference is 2.5" and 3.5" drives, right?
yeah, pretty much. That will be a sweet server. I have an almost equivalent IBM server (x3550 M2) If you need a good OS, Slackware is great on mine
>>
>>42894600
Thanks, dude.

Do I actually need to mount this in a rack?
>>
>>42894659
No. Mine sits on a table.
I plan to make a little mount (a pair of 2X4s) under my workbench for it soon so it stops taking up so much space though
>>
>>42894698
Neat.

So since this is mounted on the rails, and the rails just screw into the rack, I can just ghetto rig a rack out of 2x4s and screw the rails into the wood?
>>
>>42894718
That's more or less what my plan is, use the 2 table legs for one side, something else for the other. Except my rails will probably be 1/4" sheet steel from home hardware
>>
File: indiana bones.jpg (68 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
indiana bones.jpg
68 KB, 640x960
>>42891461
holy shit this is the worst infographic I have ever seen
>>
File: mouse+glue+trap.jpg (58 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
mouse+glue+trap.jpg
58 KB, 500x332
>>42890929

Why not just take it to the next level and pay peanuts for cloud storage at a data center.

You cannot beat the uptime of a data center solution. The only excuse for not doing this is being a NEET who never leaves home. Of course this being /g/ you guys never even crawl out of mom's basement. Which explains your desire to come up with convoluted justifications involving Jews and reptoids being behind cloud solutions.

pic related, you're the mouse, and the glue trap is the baggage of being a neckbeard NEET stuck in the past
>>
>>42890929
bump
>>
File: comon now.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
comon now.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>42894838
>cloud

please go die
>>
>>42894809
Thanks, m8. What do you use your server for? How difficult is it to set one up?
>>
>>42894838
>I can't do anything myself, but I can pay others to do it, and I'll call people who are more competent than me neckbeards. I'm gonna look look such a professional mom!
>>
>>42894867
Mine will be for VMs once I finish setup (I've been really lazy lately) It's really no harder than setting up a computer, just set up SSH and then after that you can do everything remotely. Gotta know a little CLI though
>>
>>42894909
Neat, I can manage my way around a CLI. I can always Google what I don't know, right?

In case I can't find my RE4s, do you think WD Red 7200RPM drives would be suitable for a home server?
>>
>>42890929
I don't have a lot of monies is why.
>>
>>42890929

OP, I have had such a setup for the past year and a half. In a 304 too. Really is an outstanding setup.

I will note though, that boxes like the q08 (as well as the similar types that lack the optical bay) are small and can hold even more drives
>>
>>42895001
I run a file and plex server off a 5 year old netbook, it literally costs nothing

1) install debian with a lightweight desktop environment like XFCE
2) apt-get install samba
3) configure samba
4) ????
5) home server
>>
>>42891461
>config needs to be scrolled
>>
>>42895074
All I have is a 5 year old netbook.
>>
>>42895144
problem solved
>>
>>42890929
How much would it cost for me to power this thing a month? I like the idea of extending of my e-penis but I'm a poor fag
>>
I know, right? I just delete shit and shitpost whenever I want my files again.
>>
>>42894986
Reds or seagate NAS drives are best, they have low power draw and are good for long runs
I'm gonna get an atom NAS box, so I plan on getting Seagate NAS (1 watt less power per drive). My big server has 4x73GB 10K SAS drives which will hopefully fit all my VMs
>>
>>42895154
but this is my primary use comuter
>>
>>42891789
Did you really need the small form factor?
>>
File: IMG_0654.jpg (2 MB, 3196x2886) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0654.jpg
2 MB, 3196x2886
>>42890929
I have a LAN server with lotsa storage, but It's nice to have lots of space for programs 2doe.
>>
my job is providing me with a NAS for home use. my budget is roughly $500.
I'm not allowed to purchase a HTPC, has to be a true NAS due to purchase restrictions.

I'm considering the DS 412+ or the TP-469L
anyone have experience with either?
>>
>>42894868
>more competent than me

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you personally responsible for the uptime of your home ISP connection? Explain how you're able to make that beat the redundancy and reliability of Amazon S3 or Rackspace. You've made a revolutionary discovery that has rendered a huge industry obsolete.
>>
Ffs i have only 1mbit upload, there's no point of me making a home server
>>
>>42900315

The point of a home server isn't to serve to the world. It's to serve to your home. It's a centralized repository of all your files so that you don't have to muck about with having them all on separate machines. Instead, any and all machines you own all have access to them.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.