[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ - employment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: smart-office-furniture-image-2.jpg (98 KB, 960x350) Image search: [Google]
smart-office-furniture-image-2.jpg
98 KB, 960x350
What do your work with? what did you do to get there? (certs, major etc.)
Are you happy?
Tips and trick to get out of mum's basement and have a life.
>>
>>42787470
bamp
>>
>>42787470
Cubicle with a shitty toshiba laptop, random Dell 24" monitor, and generic microsoft mouse and keyboard, and a VoIP Phone
That's literally everything in my cubicle

Spent 4 years getting a computer engineering degree to earn this rather empty cubicle. They do pay me a shite load of money, though, especially for a new grad
>>
>>42787470
>tfw you will never work at IBM on it's golden age

Lift up our proud and loyal voices,
Sing out in accents strong and true,
With hearts and hands to you devoted,
And inspiration ever new;
Your ties of friendship cannot sever,
Your glory time will never stem,
We will toast a name that lives forever,
Hail to the I.B.M.

Our voices swell in admiration;
Of T. J. Watson proudly sing;
He'll ever be our inspiration,
To him our voices loudly ring;
The I.B.M. will sing the praises,
Of him who brought us world acclaim,
As the volume of our chorus raises,
Hail to his honored name.
>>
i3 with two hard drives in RAID1, dual monitors, mechanical keyboard, generic mouse, and a private office with a locked door and large windows. Feels good to be a sysadmin.
>>
>>42787493
I missed the happy question.
At this point, yes, the money is enough to get me through the monotony. I don't necessarily enjoy my job, but I'm not even close to wanting to blow my brains out yet

I guess, I'm kinda "meh" right now. Although, that's been my primary feeling for 5 years. Also I'm working in damned Telecom when I want to digital systems design
>>
Workstation PC, 2 monitors, 3D mouse. I intern at a company that makes military helicopter & jet engines.
>>
Thinkpad laptop, and some generic Dell desktop, a Lenovo monitor, and just a plain Microsoft mouse/keyboard. The best part of my cubicle is that the person in it before I came left their lava lamp.
>>
I do smt kitting working for an aeronautical company I get paid well and its basically a stock room job can wear headphones but the work is a bit repetitive. Overall p good
>>
Three desks, seven monitors, a waterbath, a relay board, a server, two computers, four thin clients, eight temperature sensors, and two barcode scanners.

Nepotism.

It's pretty fun.
>>
>>42787511
If someone wanted to be a sysad, what certs other than CCNE/CCNA and MSCE would they need?
>>
Ubuntu gaming rig,3 Dell monitors, logitech trackball mouse and Leopold Otaku keyboard. I have CIS diploma, 13 courses away from graduation uni now. It's alight, really don't like the open floor plan as it's noisy as fuck.
>>
>>42787647
Also curious.

Do you need a degree, or can you get by with certs?
>>
>>42787667
>ubunto gaming rig
>ubunto gaming
>ubunto
>gaming
These jokes on /g/ are getting really good hahaha
>>
>>42787806
That's what I'd like to know. I'd -assume- you could do it with certs and professional networking, at the cost of less pay.

I'd just like to be sure about which certs to invest my time into.
>>
>>42787497
I work with a guy who used to work at IBM (left a couple years ago to join our company). Apparently it's a pretty crappy place to work now.
>>
im going into computer programming, what has the bigger job openings - Java or HTML?
>>
>>42787902
>This nigger thinks people want to pay for HTML design
shiggy diggy do
>>
>>42787902
lol
>>
>>42787647
Guy you're replying to here. I don't even have those. I have a few shitty CompTIA certs and some experience with a home lab and as a datacenter ops tech.
>>
>>42787922
Holy sheeit.

Which CompTIA certs? I'm assuming A+ for the, "I know how to not be a Bastard to dumb users" and their networking cert?
>>
>>42787902
Anyone competent can learn html in a few days.

What makes you think it could be valuable?

You need to at the very least also know css
>>
Why don't workplaces let you bring your own shit to work with? Why do they expect you to do shit on some shitty TN monitor, generic mouse, and a membrane keyboard when it would cost about 1/100 of a year's salary to get a decent setup?
>>
>>42787899
> now
It's practically always been a bureaucratic, stale place to work, besides the pay.
>>
>>42787902
>>42787952
Even if you know HTML, CSS, Javascript, Ruby, PHP, and Ruby, you can't do shit in the real world. They are good as experience stuffers, but alone they don't do anything.

Even Java is useless these days.

You need to know at least thirteen languages in order to be considered.
>>
>be 18, living with parents
>cashier with no certs (uni next year)
>making $16/h, $23/h on Sundays
>work hard and save everything for 6 months
>go live overseas until the money runs out
>escape family and shit weather

Done this twice now. Just got back from two months in the Philippines on Sunday. Don't know where I'll go in December.
>>
>>42787985
because no one would stand the oise the office would have if every neckbeard was allowed to bring his tenkeyless mechanical rices keyboard
>>
>>42788000
Is it worth it to travel? I am tempted to do that. It is fucking boring being a hiki.

First I need a job though.
>>
MBP with a decent monitor, shitty chiclet keyboard and a Logitech MX wireless mouse.

Webdev is fucking boring and I wish I had a job doing some actually interesting things.
>>
>>42787992
protip: they don't care about the languages so much as what you can do with them. You'll get further if you have mid-sized projects that work and you can demo.
>>
I was a pretty lazy compsci major and just got hired this week to work with embedded systems at a place close to home, I really lucked out hard
>>
>>42788069
Oh for sure. I live in a town with a population of 3000 people, and this place is boring as fuck. I just felt the need to get away from the routine of studying and working for a bit.

You learn so much, and you have a blast of a time. I don't know so much about traveling by yourself though. Each time, I've met my girlfriend over there. Separate flights due to work shifts and shit.
>>
>>42788110
I tried that once. It was a multi-language program that pulled content from several different sites and compiled it all into a readable database. It was rejected because the code was too difficult to follow.
>>
>>42788000
so you basically work a shitty job like a dog for half a year saving every penny, and then go overseas to live in some exotic place (even though yo don't live as a rich man).

sweet, I wish I was American, where i live shit you have to steal in order to survive if you have a shit job
>>
>>42788182

I've stuck around South East Asia so far, so I have lived pretty rich. I cam home this time with $1100 still (study reasons). I could have easily survived another month at least, even with the way I was spending. But yeah, you have the concept. Australian by the way.
>>
>>42788205
Sweet
>>
>>42788205
Do you pay your parents rent? If so, how much?
>>
>software developer
>shitty company, no start up like benefits but no big co like environment, basically the worst of both
>>
>>42788258
Also, how much does it cost to travel back and forth? Cost of living while away? Do you work there at all, or do you just live off of the money you bring? Do you get internet?
>>
>>42788258
I get Youth Allowance (for being a student) which is like $200 a fortnight, so I've set that up to be paid directly into mum's account. I buy my own food and shit, but I'll kick in $50 a week for bills and shit.

>>42788281
I tend to hold off booking until there's a decent sale on flights. Usually between ~AU$700 - AU$1000.
>>
File: EdLavaLamp.jpg (144 KB, 1024x797) Image search: [Google]
EdLavaLamp.jpg
144 KB, 1024x797
>>42787605
Why does goo float?
>>
>>42787940
A+, Network+ (aka "CCNA without the Cisco specific turdery"), and Linux+/LPIC-1.

I'd been running an entire LAN at home with a bunch of Linux systems, various servers, etc. and hosted my own email on a VPS running OpenBSD before I got the DC Ops job, so presumably experience and skill mattered more than the certs.
>>
>>42788281
Sorry, forgot to read the rest of the question. I don't work at all while I'm away, I live off the saved money. I usually look at short term rentals, which are typically around $1000 a month. For internet, I buy a local broadband SIM and put it in a portable WiFi hotspot. Usually where I stay, there's a restaurant near me that I can connect to if I need something more.
>>
>>42788321
>>42788296
That sounds complicated, anon.
>>
>>42788317
Ah, gotcha, and thanks - that's actually great to know.

Would I be expected to be good with Kali for any reason, or some other crazy kajiggery?
>>
Graduated a technical school (lots of hands-on experience with Linux, computer repair, and Cisco networking. No certs but I could knock out a few with a little effort. Now what?
>>
>>42788346
It's really not. I saved $5000, rented a house for 2 months, and then lived like a tourist. It's great fun. Until you have to come home at least.
>>
>>42788366
Not unless you're going for a pentester position. Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu, and *BSD are the server OSes to know. Windows Server takes like ten minutes to pick up on the job if you've already grokked unix.
>>
File: 1398421318065.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1398421318065.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
>>42787470
Software developer for a small company. (36,000 USD a year)

No certs, CS dropout.

I'm pretty happy, I have full creative control over what I develop.

Tips and tricks: Idk, be lucky I guess.
>>
>>42787985
My company allows us whatever peripherals we desire
> Brought my own mouse
> brought my own headphones
> trying to justify mechanical keyboard
> tfw can't justify spending that kind of money on a keyboard
>>
>>42788431
You can with an ergo keyboard.
>>
>>42788400
Badass. Thanks man.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.