[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there something wrong with Xperia phones? Why don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (27 KB, 756x231) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
27 KB, 756x231
Is there something wrong with Xperia phones? Why don't they sell well?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07/30/sony-mobile-has-worst-quarter-in-three-years-as-xperia-sales-plummet/
>>
>>52387467
>Is there something wrong with Xperia phones?
They shouldn't have bothered with the Premium. It was a useless gimmick device that probably had a shitty return where people who bought it would have bought the Z5 if it didn't exist.
>>
>>52387467
Because Sony still thinks that they hold the same "premium brand" recognition they had a decade ago.

This isn't the case anymore. They are just like any other company, objectively worse in many ways.

The Xperia line are phones that are not worth what they are sold for, exactly like iPhones, but without the premium status. If they were to drop the prices about $150-200 on each Z phone, then maybe advertise a little bit, it would definitely sell more.

Anyways, I am glad they are closer to dying. They need to get their head out of their ass. That is for Sony as a whole, not just the Xperia division.

They have potential. They just have to accept they aren't premium anymore.
>>
>>52387467
Because they run android, and there are many choices of android out there and nothing really makes sony stand out.
>>
At least Windows Phone sells well :^)
>>
Sony have an iterative design approach which means they don't radically change the designs of their devices 'just because'. Combine that with a extremely neutral design language in a market full of loud design and customers simply don't notice the devices.

Put it this way, if you're a consumer standing in a phone shop and "don't want an iPhone" (because lets be honest; that's why most android flagships are bought by normies) are you going to pick up the galaxy with a screen so oversaturated it gives you seizures, the HTC with the sexy eye-catching design or the anonymous black slab by Sony?

I love my Z5, it's a great device. But it's totally understandable why people aren't buying them.
>>
>>52387467
Non-competitive prices, they're not adapting
>>
>>52387536
I don't follow the mobile market but Sony televisions are no doubt superior to their Samsung counterparts in general.
>>
>>52387600
>the anonymous black slab by Sony
So I'm the only one that thinks it looks cool as fuck?
>>
>>52387652
They aren't only competing with Samsung.

They are competing with much lower priced companies as well, with comparable products. The TVs might be doing fine, and their cameras are Phenomenal, but none of this has transferred over to their Smartphone success.

The general public also does not see them as the go-to top-of-the-line brand that it used to be seen as.

They charge to much for what they give, on smartphones, relative to other smartphone manufacturers. (Sans the overpriced iPhone).

They are not adapting to the current market, and that will keep hurting them.

I want them to do something drastic. I have a Z3c, which I love, but I got it for much less than asking price. I would not have paid MSRP for it. I also think it has issues that a brand like Sony simply shouldn't have.
>>
>>52387689
Probably.
I like the way it looks, but I my Xperia is the only phone that i prefer WITH a case rather than without. There is nothing to admire about it.
>>
>>52387689
I love myself some nice anonymous black slabs. My Z3c would've only been better with no Sony/Xperia branding at all.
>>
They didn't jump on the subsidy train in the US, they rely mostly on selling their phones unlocked in stores in Europe, Asia, etc. Market is saturated.
>>
>>52387730
I agree that they're certainly not premium for phones, but I do see them as a premium company for televisions. I know that the masses don't care about that and just go for a simple 50 inch full HD TV for the cheapest price, but if you're actually looking for certain features and are willing to pay extra for them you'll often find that Sony TVs are fucking splendid. The thing is they need to change their business strategy because most people just don't give a fuck and don't want to pay that much extra for a TV.

But yeah, for phones they're not premium at all compared to the competition, no doubt.
>>
File: nokia_lumia_800_white_live_sg_7.jpg (603 KB, 1400x1023) Image search: [Google]
nokia_lumia_800_white_live_sg_7.jpg
603 KB, 1400x1023
>>52387689

Nope, I absolutely love it. I wish there was more understated design with consumer products; but when you have a second to make an impact it's not useful.

It's why Apple released a white iPhone 4 even though the black one (in my mind anyway) was basically flawless. It's why Nokia released bold colours even though the black / white models are still unrivalled in terms of expression (pic absolutely fucking related).

Sorry rambling a bit, but when even Apple has gone shit-teir when it comes to design and is adding more colours you know it's all fucked.
>>
>>52387802

Well they can either change business model, or accept a niche, and in mobile / TV there's really not the margins for that sadly.
>>
>>52387467

Cause sony sell them for too much
>>
>>52387845
all companies overcharge for these smart phones. £650+ for a new iphone or samsung model phone is a total joke.
>>
To be honest I've had bad experience with Sony products in the past that I simply ignored them untill I wanted a more compact phone with good specs. Took me a while to decide to give them another chance and I must say that I really liked the Z3c, I've also purchased a bluetooth headset from them that I enjoy. And looking at their TV's and camera's.. doesn't look bad at all. It might be too little too late.
>>
Stop complaining. Samsung has won the Android battle a long time ago.
>>
>>52387689

yeah but what about the 4 other Chinese equivalents anon?
>>
>>52387467
Because they are cuck phones.
They are ugly their bloat ware is ugly
Wannabe Apple gaudy ass design.
They suck bbc
And lagdroid
>>
>>52387960
i think it looks cooler than the edge desu
>>
>>52387874

>Huawei
>OnePlus
>Motorola
>Xiaomi
>Maizu

Blessed be our chinese overlords
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.