[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into cassette ripping, I'm trying to foll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Tdkc60cassette.jpg (16 KB, 298x188) Image search: [Google]
Tdkc60cassette.jpg
16 KB, 298x188
I want to get into cassette ripping, I'm trying to follow the guide on what.cd but I'm still unclear on some things. I asked this on /mu/ but didn't get any good response so I'm trying here.

Mainly, where can I find a cassette player that fulfills all of the requirements that I could possibly need? And plus, http://www.endino.com/archive/cassettes.html says that for correcting the azimuth that I need a mono switch, so how do I go about finding a cassette player with this?
And on this note, how do I make sure that a screwdriver that I am using is demagnetized and safe to use for this purpose?
And in terms of the environment for the ripping, would being in an apartment be at all harmful for the resulting quality of the rip? How can I ensure that nothing in any of the small rooms of my apartment will interfere with the quality?

How can I be positive my soundcard is good? Is there somewhere I can go to find out my specific sound card and then specifically see if it would be good for ripping with?

And can somebody explain "noise reduction"? The what.cd guide makes it sound like there is a set "standard" for this but I'm kind of unclear, just what is the procedure for this? The guide says the following for this:
>Noise Reduction Level - 75%, FFT Size - 8192, Reduce by - 24dB, Precision Factor - 10, Smoothing Amount - 1, Transition Width - 10dB, Spectral Decay Rate - 65%
So are all of these settings something that will be specifically reoccuring settings in every recording programs or is it just the one used in the guide?

And how do I rip so that the finished product is 24 bit FLAC/lossless?
I believe the what.cd guide only tells you what to do to get to 16-bit and I am unsure the point of the guide where I would differentiate my procedure as to make the finished product be 24-bit and not 16-bit.

Is there anything else I should know?

If anybody could help me with this at all I would be much appreciative!
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 450x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 450x240
>>
>how do I rip so that the finished product is 24 bit FLAC/lossless?
>magnet tape

you fucking moron.
>>
File: Akai.jpg (680 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Akai.jpg
680 KB, 2048x1536
>>52385098
I still see decent cassette decks at thrift stores once in a while, but if you really want a good one to start with and you're willing to spend around $150, you should be able to just snag one off eBay and get started. I found a fairly high end Hitachi at an antique store once, I believe for around $18, which was an incredible deck and absolutely mint and perfect working, but I ended up reselling it for around $150 and keeping my Akai. I made a lot of recordings with that deck, but eventually my car cassette deck failed and I just never bothered to fix it or take up cassettes again.

I have had issues with cassette deck speed in the past, but I can't recall ever hearing any azimuth issues. I don't think you have to worry about screwdriver magnetism as long as it doesn't seem to be magnetic. There are magnetizer/demagnetizer devices available, if desired.

As far as the sound card and digital specification stuff, I really don't have a clue about any of that.
>>
>>52385098

>fooling yourself into thinking that cassette is worth listening to compared to digital

>all of these stupid questions

You fucking hipster kids are the worst kind of deluded faggots...
>>
>>52385718
I'm doing it for cassette releases that have no releases on any other medium that I wish to digitize the best that I can
>>52385362
I know it's pointless but if I can choose between 16 bit and 24 bit and if storage isn't of issue then why would it not be technically better to do it this way?
>>52385493
Thanks, I will look into my thrift store near me because they had one last time I was there but if it's not good I might do what you're saying
>>
>>52385098
>And in terms of the environment for the ripping, would being in an apartment be at all harmful for the resulting quality of the rip? How can I ensure that nothing in any of the small rooms of my apartment will interfere with the quality?
WTF? Are you retarded? Just get a decent cassete player, plug in 3.5mm (male-male) into headphone out, other end into your soundcard line in and fucking hit record.
>>
File: Cassette Ripping What.CD.png (59 KB, 578x322) Image search: [Google]
Cassette Ripping    What.CD.png
59 KB, 578x322
>>52385881
I read this on what.cd
>>
>>52385920
Interesting... can you send me an invite?
>>
>>52385823
>>>52385718(You)
>I'm doing it for cassette releases that have no releases on any other medium that I wish to digitize the best that I can

Oh. Well that is reasonable.

I'm sorry I let my hate blind me and posted a nasty message to you then
>>
>>52385098

try one of these, they connect via USB and are under $20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391347905966?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
>>
>>52385098
>And can somebody explain "noise reduction"?
it's built into the tape deck, just flip the right switches
>>
>>52385997
sent :)
>>
>>52385920
It might be a good idea to keep the cassette deck away from your computer, phone, networking gear, or whatever other electronics and possible noise sources you can think of. If you're worried about interference through electrical lines, you might want to make sure you don't have any non-incandescent lights turned on, and don't have anything aside from your computer that contains motors running, especially if there will be any starting/stopping. In my house I can get noise through audio equipment from the bathroom fans, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, etc. If you really want to go all out, you can use a power conditioner, or at least an affordable but good power strip with a bit of power conditioning like a Tripp Lite Isobar.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.