[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DAW General: Inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: FL studio.jpg (45 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
FL studio.jpg
45 KB, 250x250
What is a DAW?
Digital
Audio
Workstation

>What DAW is yours?

>How long you been on it?

>How long have you been into music?

>What genre do you play with the most?

>What Genre do you think you are best at?

>Have you thought about changing up to something else?

>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?

>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?

Bonus points:

>Who is your biggest inspiration to why you make music?

1 simple rule I hope you can guys do, please don't be assholes to those who
have a different perspective on another DAW, no matter what it is or how shitty
it is. I know there are some very laughable ones out there but ya know...
So please just be as helpful as you can.

>this is /g/ not /mu/ gtfo

We do not talk about the music as it is but how it's created and what we use and how to help
others get better

Also David Bowie is in Heaven. RIP you amazing bastard!
>>
>>52367911
MilkyTracker, because too poorfag/unmotivated for recording...
Pretty long.
Even longer.
Chiptune horror music.
There isn't one single genre.
As soon as I get a better job/flat maybe I'll invest in a small home studio + Reason, because muh physics based cable simulation.

>bonus
There isn't one single biggest inspiration.

Bonus question: How comes music software tends to have small shitty custom GUI elements?

Also Dwayne Static is in Heaven. RIP you amazing bastard!
>>
>>52367911

Uhh, like Reason 6 and a decent AKAI controller with some shitty pads.

Like 4 years?

Like, most of my life.

Jazz

Jazz

No, jazz is the best contemporary mode of musical expression.

MINIMOOOOG

Yeah, I'm a hobbyist. Musicians don't make money these days, period.

Don't care about the other questions.
>>
File: Capture.png (21 KB, 388x115) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
21 KB, 388x115
I'm interested in getting into production, so I started playing the Piano, studying music theory etc, but I can't wrap my head around all the stuff that FL can do.
Is there a guide to what these Knobs do and what these terms mean?
I've fucked around a bit with them, but some of em' don't seem to change the sound..
>>
>>52368645
would you like my crash course?

Also, I will tell you this much
Music theory is cool to learn, but if you can't make it work for yourself in something, it's just not ever going to happen. Like me with wanting to draw and make comic books, I have great ideas, but I can't draw for shit.
>>
>>52367911
Ableton Live for playing, Cubase for production.
>>
>>52368770
I'd appreciate it, anon.
And I'm ready to spend a lot of time to fuck around with and create something, so I'll stick with it for now.
Also, what makes you think you can't draw? I though so, too, until I started doodling in Latin classes during HS, now I'm bretty gud at drawing
>>
>>52368645
Look up ASDR, that's the most basic knowledge. All the others, make a simple square synth and you'll hear what they do.
>>
Ableton Live and FL Studio are for meme teenagers who thinks they will be the next Skrillex or Mike Will Made It. FL Studio has reigned faggot supreme for over a decade, but now it's becoming like MySpace where Ableton is Facebook.
>>
>>52368849
What does ASDR stand for?
I'm retarded, sorry...
>>
>>52368853
Funny cuz people are moving away from Facebook as well.
>>
>>52368837
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuurZmz_hg
I hope I helped. I try to help people learn what I know too. I'm no genius but what I do know I will try my best to pass on what I know.

eh, I don't know, sometimes I do try. but i am more of a writer. Always have been

>>52368853
I can get that.
I don't want to be like either if them.
As I've come to the conclusion, /g/ hates anything overly simple convenient to use
"It's not complicated enough! So it's something I can't use cause I don't want someone making music is a program I like and they make it bigger than me cause I worked harder to make music!"
Could be worse, you could making million off of animals for making a simple tune dude. Which would you like to be?

There's nothing wrong with making music from any daw as long as it sounds good and people like it. That's all that matters. I've seen Ableton, I've compared the 2. As Deadmau5 said, the reason he likes FL for certain work is due to the playlists. It's easier to work with, then he ports it over to other Daws. It's how you use them that matters.

>>52368936
to what? Diaspora? LOL
>>
>>52368906
Attack, Delay, Sustain, Release.
But looking up ASDR will get you to the right context. Sorry I cant explain it here, the Hüllkurvengenerator is something I can only talk about in German.
>>
>>52367911
>>52367911
Fl Studio
5 years
Long time (since I got my first cd player)
Trance, drum and bass, funk/jazz
DnB
I've tried hardstyle a bit as something new
Sylenth1, Nexus 2, z3ra+
Yes, I just like to make music and don't care much about publicity
>>
>>52368955
Twitter
>>
>>52368983
Twitter is simple and fun. Tried out Discordapp yet?
>>
>>52368963
If you could explain it in German, go ahead, I'm fluent, and I'd really appreciate it.

>>52368955
Thanks for that video, anon, I'll check it out.
writing's bretty cool desu
>>
File: studio one.png (149 KB, 1920x1039) Image search: [Google]
studio one.png
149 KB, 1920x1039
>What DAW is yours?

Studio One - 3 has completely replaced my cubase 7.5 installation

3 years

2 years

House

shitty music

Sort of but I always come back to house grooves

I believe I use Diva the most

No reason to change what I like
>>
>>52369000
DUDE!
YOU ARE OVER 9000!
>>
>>52367911
>Pro Tools 11&12
>1,5 years
>10 years
>Death metal, stoner doom.
>Death metal, hard rock, stoner rock.
>No, never.
>Xpand2
>No, usually only using my DAW for mixing and recording other people's stuff.
>Motörhead, Thin Lizzy, Cynic, Mister Space Cool.

Also have Reaper, but since I got Pro Tools, I have started to hate the shortcuts. I know I can change them, but doing that will take som time.
>>
File: IMG_20160105_233041.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160105_233041.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>52367911

>What DAW is yours?
Cubase Elements 8/Ardour 4.
About two years. A week on Ardour. Shit's fucked, though because there's no HiDPI scaling.
Since the age of 14 (I'm 20 now).
Progressive rock.
Progressive rock.
I wanted to produce some ambient, but the costs are insane, and I dislike producing loops in my DAW. I'm more hands-on with my equipment.
My trusty Roland GR-30, and Synth1 softsynth.
Of course.
Bonus points:
>Who is your biggest inspiration to why you make music?
Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.
>>
>>52369013
From Pic
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pxK7hyvUkR
>>
>>52369000
https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=ADSR&redirect=no
Diesen Link würde ich vortragen, wenn ich es hier in 3000 Wörtern erklären würde.
ADSR sind die 4 phasen der Dynamik in einem Sound, Attack, also Anstieg zu Maximumlatstärke, delay, abfall zu normaler, sustain, die lautstärke und zeit für die der Ton bleibt, und Release, der Abfall nach Loslassen der Taste.
>>
>>52369110
Wenn meine Erklärung nicht reicht, bau einen Square-synth und drehe die 4 Effektregler. Der Effekt wird dir SOFORT klar sein.
>>
>>52369144
Vielen Dank, werde mal nachlesen!
>>
>What DAW is yours?
REAPER
Switched a few months ago and loving it.
At least 5-6 years.
Things with guitars. That said, my main instrument of choice is my lovely Nord Stage 2.
One of them hopefully.
Nope.
Massive probably, don't need anything else - most of what I use is sample based, think Kontakt, Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys etc etc.
Definitely. It keeps me sane.
>>
>>52369013
Studio One looks pretty fantastic. How would you say it compares to REAPER for example?
>>
>>52369171
Nicht nachlesen, probieren! Da hat man so ein richtig schönes "Aha" Erlebnis.
>>
>>52369178
try out Serum. It's amazing.
>>
wow finding this thread was ironic cause its exactly wht i was looking for but can anyone give me information on getting FL Studio on a mac. I know there is a beta verson but I heard it has a lot of flaws. I also know that people use programs like wine bottler to open it but the license.reg file is empty and the installer isnt really working :(
>>
>>52369205
I have never really used Reaper
There are people who decided to use more than 1 DAW

So I imagine it depends on how your workflow is.

I can say that it uses almost all the exact same cubase keyboard binds and the layout is almost exactly the same

I am not sure what about it, but It has completely replaced my paid cubase 7.5 to the point where it isnt even installed
>>
>>52369265
I have to guess most people in this thread are Winwang but even with Wine you will find bugs

maybe look for a free version of another popular program in the meantime?

if you could get your hands on Protools it is pretty much an industry standard
>>
>>52369265
If you have a legitimate FL Studio license you can download the Mac beta from the FL Studio website.

With that said, if you're on a Mac I wouldn't bother. Instead get Logic Pro X - it's *stupidly* good value for money if you're on OS X. The quality of the included effects and instruments are better than many paid ones I've used.
>>
>>52369265
the license.reg and installer for the FL torrent i have atm*
>>
>>52369302
Honestly I find it really difficult to recommend Pro Tools right now. The only cracked versions are fairly old and hard to get plugins for, and I believe are still only 32 bit.

In terms of paid Pro Tools, it simply isn't good value for money at all. If you're on a Mac you're better off trying Logic Pro X and if you're on Windows it's hard not to recommend REAPER or Studio One.
>>
>>52369265
If you're on a mac just Parnell it dude. OR whatever. I recommend get Vbox and putting in like windows 7 or XP and then installing it there. Mac runs windows better than windows runs windows. Shit everything runs windows better than windows.

I have mint on a drive, with Wine and installed FL on it and low and behold, it works 10xs better on linux. Tells you something right there. But seriously anon, DO NOT get FL12. You will feel like a 10 year old with his new little toy cellphone and feel like a complete retarded. Get 11 and stick to it. FL12 switched SO much around and made it harder to use.

also I commonly make this thread around once a week. If you want to stay updated when I make this thread, you can join my discordapp. Do you want a link?
>>
>>52369309
im currently using Logic pro x but i am being told by a lot of people around me to switch over to FL due to it being easier to use. I also feel like there is way more tutorials and information on FL than logic
>>
>>52367911
Ableton Live 9

3 years

5 years

Some sort of melodic electronic music

See above

Yes. And failed.

Softsynth? Xfer Serum. Outboard? Moog little phatty

Yeah, it's more of a hobby for me.

Biggest inspiration is savant
>>
>>52369372
Can't argue with that, FL Studio is unbelievably well documented, especially for making EDM.

With that said, Logic Pro X is perfectly capable and you can easily achieve excellent results regardless of what DAW you use.

If you want something more commonly used for EDM which also supports OS X natively it's worth trying Ableton Live but really, there's nothing at all wrong with Logic Pro X. Make sure you install the additional content though - the loops and additional samples are massively useful.
>>
>>52369372
>FL due to it being easier to use.

While I cannot say anything about logic, I cannot recommend you switch just because something is easy

Try it out, you may like it or not, but don't give up
>>
>Parnell
parallel

>>52369372
>>52369414
Like I said anon(s), it's a /g/ thing to think that if it's too easy to use or too convenient, they don't want to use it.
>>
I want to make sound effects, mainly sci-fi weapons and such. What's a good place to start to learn about synths?
>>
>>52369431
FL has some good synths to fuck around with. Sakura and Nexus and there was 1 other. I've made some ambient shit people said that sounds like it could be in a spoopy game
>>
>>52369405
i am a huge hip hop head so i would mainly be making hip hop/trap beats which i found that fl has a lot of tutorials. I also have a friend that is a producer and if i wer to collab with him hes on FL aswell so I could learn a lot from him.
>>
>>52369208
Ich weiss, es mag sehr behindert klingen, aber ich hab mit Fl wirklich erst angefangen....
w-was ist ein "square-synth"?
Nochmals danke für deine Hilfe, is leider nicht üblich auf /g/
>>
>>52369422
Not really, someone once told me : " If it is the easy way, it is the wrong way"

So I've been trying to live by that
>>
>>52369564
I mean, if you have the talent, and there's an easy way to do it, take the road. Don't make it more difficult than it already is. I mean, there are child prodigies out there who are able to make it big because how easy life was for them in the first place. Take Beethoven for example, he was almost completely deaf, he could play the piano like no one else and look where he got? Exactly. So if there's an easy way to do it, then sure, take it while you can till it's no longer available. Too many kids want to make music while maybe the 15% of them stay with it and become something.

I want to become a Game Music Dev. So I'm looking for some Indie artists to work with. I mean, it's right up there with coding. If you want to work with the simplest of coding, then go for it. C++, C# 011010101010101 idk whatever floats your goat.

I recommend trying out FL mostly cause it's more of a stepping stone to music but if it works it works. I've gone to Ableton, and when I did, it was backwards to me and I didn't want to RELEARN something new. @_@
>>
well, incase any one is lurking, you are welcome to join here:

https://discord.gg/0jvjhB7u5ON0vpQB

I know some people on and off look for my threads and I try to help out as much as I am able to.
>>
>>52367911
>2016
>not controlling synths and 3d graphics with your body
https://youtu.be/IvUr8Bn--is
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.