[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fut/ - Friendly Unixoid Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: 1435044641891.png (168 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
1435044641891.png
168 KB, 630x354
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
File: 1424286197333.jpg (494 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1424286197333.jpg
494 KB, 1024x1400
What is GNU/Linux?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic [it's reddit-tier] -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse/puke-inducing like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

Check out this page for any updates on the OP
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
Is not OS X like a Linux distro? Why would you install dual bot when you have already a Unix system? Just asking, I have no idea
>>
Having a problem with firefox.
It wont load my profiles, and when i remove the .mozilla folder, it creates .mozilla but it dosent create a skeleton profile to load to.It says its inaccessable or empty.

I've backed up my profile and ive spent hours trying to get it to function again.I even reverted to v35, to no avail.
Im out of ideas
>>
>>52429163

New thread was made just as I posted my question
>>
File: 1431920915340.jpg (10 KB, 193x224) Image search: [Google]
1431920915340.jpg
10 KB, 193x224
>>52429154
No, it's raped unix.
>>
>>52429198
Could you explain it to me please?
>>
>1. It says on grub2 that my other os is windows vista when it actually is windows 8.1
probably you can just change that in the grub
>2. the resolution in the gentoo terminal is too small
change the font then
>3. it says "this is (mycustomhostname).unknown_domain" on gentoo login
make sure you set the domain correctly
>>
>>52429210
Apple took several unix systems and tore pieces of them off and assembled a frankenstein monster.
>>
>>52429252
So it is not like other distros that are based for example in Ubuntu and use same terminal comands? I mean, has OS X something of Gnome, Ubuntu, ...? Or it's just different?
>>
>>52429181
look at your resolv.conf for your hostname remove the localdomain nonsense
vista of 8.1 dosent matter
youll have to use a framebuffer to change the size.
>>
So, I'm having a weird problem. I have nitrogen installed to manage my wallpapers and I can't fucking open it anymore. I've reinstalled it several times and can't seem to find a solution. I keep getting the message "terminate called after throwning an instance of 'Gio:Error' follwed by Aborted (core dumped).

No fucking idea why its doing this.
>>
>>52429276
GNU and Linux have pretty much no code in common with OSX or any other Unix/Unix-like system. They implement the same standard(POSIX) so that's where the similarities come from but they're not really related. OSX takes code from several direct descendants of Unix while GNU+Linux were written from scratch and have none of that history.
>>
>>52429359
arch?
>>
>>52429403
Yes on Arch.
>>
>>52429424
memed
>>
>>52429433
So what is it just fucked? I've fixed it before by fucking around with GTK files but even doing that it still won't work now, so I really don't know what to do anymore.
>>
>>52429312
/etc/resolv.conf is just 3 commented out lines.
>>
>>52429459
Don't know, could be a bug. Try running it from strace to see if that gives anything.
>>
>>52429369
Thank you anon!!!
>>
>>52429473
Add a name then
>>
File: 2046-2004-11-g.jpg (127 KB, 1200x867) Image search: [Google]
2046-2004-11-g.jpg
127 KB, 1200x867
Easy question, is Funtoo easy to install compared to Gentoo?
>>
Dailyreminder

Cache your DNS locally with
Unbound

and secure your DNS by using DNScrypt with a dns server that supports DNSCrypt&DNSSEC and one that doesn't log anything
>>
>>52429588
Yes. Just like Gentoo.
>>
>>52429711
why?
>>
>>52429837
to prevent DNS snooping, spoofing and mitm attacks especially on your local connection

and unbound to massively decrease latency
>>
>>52429588
ok
>>
>>52429181
Got my Windows 8.1 grub problem fixed, and the hostname problem in gentoo fixed as well.

I'd rather not deal with framebuffers until later.

Thanks anons!
>>
>>52429588
Yes, however Gentoo was easy to install for me, just time consuming.
>>
I an issue with webbrowsers (tested both FF and Chromium) completely locking up the computer, forcing a reboot. It has something to do with input handling because it does not happen if I'm just watching a video or reading a long page. It also seemed much more common when I had a web of xmodmap/xcape setting applied, but it still occasionally happens without them.
If anyone has experienced something similar I'd love some advice, because this has been hell to debug.

I'm using x64 Void-glibc on a Thinkpad 420. I did not have this issue in Gentoo despite having much the same software installed.
>>
>>52429588
I've installed funtoo but not gentoo. It was p easy.
>>
File: 2ULIZBf.gif (2 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
2ULIZBf.gif
2 MB, 280x210
How can I type moonruns with Arch linux?
>>
>>52430092
Enable UTF-8 and install anthy.
>>
Installed Slackware 10 days ago and I love it.
>>
>>52430135
Thanks. How can I start ibus by default when I turn on my computer?

I have to do
ibus-setup
, then click on the dial box for starting ibus. Then I can use ibus with anthy to type japanese characters.
>>
>>52430217
install linux mint
>>
>>52430217
Hello. I dropped out of middle school and fail to understand even basic HS math. I have been using FreeBSD and GNU/Linux in my computers for ten years without a difficulty. Please cheer up.
>>
>>52430217
You're not too stupid, many parts of the OS aim to be simple to learn about if you want to take the time to do so.
If you just mean general use, then it's even easier with most distros, you just need to stop thinking in Windows terms.
>>
I am only using linux on servers to run my server aplications.

So: why does sometimes on my installations of linux, when I am logged in in ssh, the windows of eg data input are all x's? Like there is supposed to be a diolog, there also is but it is rendered wrong and I cant paste data. Is that a problem of my ssh client or of the server installation?

>Debian 7/8
>>
>>52430243
If you're using XFCE4 you can startup that at login in its settings. Otherwise add the program to X server startup file.
Protip: Google how to do that
>>
>>52430290
poast example
>>
>>52430384
I will later. It is early in the morning here and I am preparing for work. Will post in next flt or sqt.
>>
>>52430318
Oh... I was just typing ibus-deamon instead of daemon in openbox's autostart...
>>
I've been redirected over here from the SQT:

I'm having trouble resuming from hibernation on my laptop. Everything works great up until the last few moments and I get a black screen, i've configured the grub and mkinitpcio correctly as far as I know. I've been able to trace my problem back to this:
Jan 14 23:17:54 arch kernel: [drm:radeon_dp_link_train [radeon]] *ERROR* displayport link status failed
Jan 14 23:17:54 arch kernel: [drm:radeon_dp_link_train [radeon]] *ERROR* clock recovery failed
Jan 14 23:17:54 arch kernel: [drm:radeon_dp_link_train [radeon]] *ERROR* displayport link status failed
Jan 14 23:17:54 arch kernel: [drm:radeon_dp_link_train [radeon]] *ERROR* clock recovery failed

I've googled around and it sounds like i'm shit out of luck. Any other anons run into this problem and solve it? I'm running the open source drivers and I prefer to keep it that way because the closed source are crap at rendering muh waifu
>>
>>52431596
Weird issue. Which kernel version? Did it work on 4.2.5?
>>
>>52429154
No, it makes no sense at all to dual boot OS X and Linux unless there's some specific must-have Linux-exclusive solution.

You can use OS X exactly like you would Linux. You can even install an X11 window manager if you must.
>>
What's the Donald Trump of Linux distros?
>>
>>52432276
I've had the problem for a while. Never really decided to dig into it until now. I am running kernel 4.3.3-2
>>
>>52432432
Seems like an issue with your GPU driver actually. Search a solution to the problem again but with GPU-model as a keyword, or submit a post to the Arch forum.
>>
No fglrx for 15.10 still, ATI could not suck more cock if they wanted to
>>
>>52433992
>2016
>using non free drivers
you got any valid reason for this?
>>
>>52434001
Not him but I do. My laptop's GPU card malfunctions in the sense that the fan doesn't spins when not in use, so it overheats, and the most convenient way to solve this is to have the propietary drivers installed so the GPU runs X with them.
>>
>>52434001
Steam only runs with fglrx, how else will I procrastinate?
>>
>>52434058
on older laptops you are probably right i give you that.
>>52434082
it actually runs fine on the open drivers. (the 200/300 series at least)
>>
My server is being a bitch and I don't have physical access right now. feels bad man
Fuck tcp ports
>>
>>52434099
>tfw on HD7950
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>>
>>52434185
nvm, I've managed a workaround to get it running
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.