[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>4 months after release iOS 9 is installed on 75% of acti
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8
File: ios9installation-800x393.jpg (159 KB, 1600x786) Image search: [Google]
ios9installation-800x393.jpg
159 KB, 1600x786
>4 months after release iOS 9 is installed on 75% of active iOS devices

>14 months after release, all versions of Android 5.x make up 32.6% of all Android devices
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Why are Android updates nonexistant? Why are OEMs so jewish about updating their old devices?
>>
Because Android updates are held back not only by OEMs (messing around to get their flavor into it) but by carriers as well. And carriers would rather you buy a new phone than have a phone be updated.

It's all planned obsolescence. But I bet you kissless virgins wouldn't know that.
>>
>>52401556
/thread

It's not that complicated OP, you're just a flaming feget
>>
>>52401556
>2007
>be in charge of Android development
>make a baseline Android image to be used for all devices, can be updated independently of OEMs and carriers
>but manufacturers and carriers still want to customize the OS
>allow them to have device specific customization packages that are layered on top
>packages can be removed by the users in developer settings or some shit
>>
OEMs ruin everything, see the whole bloatware in the laptop market.
>>
>>52401607
>>52401659
This.
desu the Nexus line is what all Android phones should be.
Google should get some balls and tell OEMs and carriers that they're not allowed to use Android if they're gonna fuck with it.
>>
>>52401607
The problem with Android is also it's greatest advantage

Flexibilty

I mean, look at the crazy shit Samsung and LG are doing now with Edge and the V10's secondary display

But again, those hardware advances would be held back by Google.

Look at how far back Moto had the fingerprint scanner, then Samsung in the S5

Then finally in Marshmallow google finally added in Fingerprint scanning to Android itself
>>
>>52401659
>not wiping your new laptop on first boot, then flashing clean copy of windows
>>
File: ew.gif (2 MB, 350x179) Image search: [Google]
ew.gif
2 MB, 350x179
>>52402235
>windows
>>
Let's say you take KitKat and develop some shit needed for your product to work becuz muh features. You're definitely not going back to update that shit if your product development team is actively working on the next thing.

Also
>carriers
The modern-day cancer, both literally and figuratively.
>>
>>52402334
Yuropean here
I prefer more expensive phones in return for getting the international models.

Also carriers can't do shit here
>>
>>52402226
>I mean, look at the crazy shit Samsung and LG are doing now with Edge and the V10's secondary display

This could be done through device specific customization packages.
>>
>>52402531
But what happens if the device specific package doesn't support the latest update?
>>
>>52402262
Some of us have to work for a living using Windows software. Plus muh game support.
>>
>>52402556
if windows can be backwards compatible for basically any application android can be as well
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (83 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
83 KB, 600x450
>>52402692
>work
>games
>>
>>52402724
You're talking hardware stuff, not just aplications

Hardware needs drivers
And sometime an OS update would break said drivers, which would require a driver update by the OEM and then we're back at square 1
>>
Where's the source? Apple?

Even if it's true, does that include the devices that were rendered obsolete when they got upgraded to version 9?
>>
>>52402727
It's not like in play games at work, but I use my personal kit for my side business.
>>
>>52401444
That's because 75% of applefags don't use their devices for more than 2 years.
>>
>>52402854
Too bad you argument is BTFO'd by the fact that even the 4S got iOS 9
>>
>>52402894
And got fucking rekt by it.
>>
>>52401659
>>52401556
Blaming oem and carrier

Dude it's 2016 android comes a long way already, everyone know it's google fault. Outdatef pc/laptop from 2006 can be installed to latest windows 10/linux with latest kernel.
>>
>>52402919
But it still got it

And all the accompanying securty patches
>>
>>52402921
ARM doesn't work like x86

Look at the HD2 for example, that phone's bootloader is completely unlocked and you can install all kinds of shit on it

Also, phone hardware has improved a jizz ton since 2006, hell it improved a shit ton since 2 years ago
>>
>>52401444
Android security updates are modular, you just need Google play service updated to get security patches, even if you are running old versions
>>
>>52401444
Why doesn't the iPad's app grid have an extra row and column?
>>
>>52405496
because it wouldnt fit horizontally
>>
>>52402951
carriers hold shit back because of radio modules.
Google should just do something to make radio module firmware a separate thing and let carriers update it separately.
>>
>>52401444
>mobile updates
>good thing
>new iphone comes out
>Steve Jobs makes your device run slow so you go get new one
>Android device runs smoothly

Updating software without updating hardware inevitably makes it slower.
imstalling more demanding OS onto device that's not upgradaable is retarded.

Yes.
Those who still run Windows XP on their office/work/non-enthusias machines have a very good point in continuing to do so.
>>
File: ipad.png (819 KB, 1600x786) Image search: [Google]
ipad.png
819 KB, 1600x786
>>52405523
You what? Here's how it would look with TWO extra columns. Perfectly fine.
>>
File: 1411955461416.jpg (23 KB, 300x372) Image search: [Google]
1411955461416.jpg
23 KB, 300x372
>>52401444
Android 5.x is outdated, we're on 6 now.
So you should compare 5.x to iOS 8 instead, idiot
>>
i dont get threads like this. everyone knows that android version fragmentation is a big deal, however when you have apple people that literally upgrade every year of course you will have more active phones on the most current version.

but isnt apple notorious for releasing software updates that dont even include the new features if you have a phone that is only like 2 versions behind?
>>
>>52405733
crowded and visually noisy as fuck, makes me feel like I'm staring into the app abyss
>>
>>52405496
My guess is somewhere in the mix of the typical viewing distances for devices and icon spacing it would start to feel cluttered and overwhelming for larger screens

Unlike your dragon dildos, just because you can physically accommodate more, jamming more shit in does not always mean a better experience.
>>
>>52403803
I did not know that.
>>
>>52405769
Something I just realized about this picture is that the IO is on the same side as the CD drive.
>>
>>52401556
this, I was pissed as fuck when my carrier decided to not allow an update for my phone. Apparently they have to add their own software plus test it, but they never did it.
>>
>>52405769
That's even worse for android
>>
>>52405733
>>52405496
The bottom row is actually able to accommodate 6 icons, versus the upper section's 4 to 5.
>>
>>52405769
I can't help but feel that will not be too effective at keeping things cool as I can't see an opening for the air
>>
>>52402398
I'm from huezil, and here, in fact, carriers can't also do shit. It amazes me the fact that my country's laws forces the carriers to unlock any model (as far as you paid it already) while people in the US get ass raped repeatedly by the telecom giants.
>>
>>52402724
With software yeah but you can't rely on a driver written for win xp to work on win 10 (at least not everyone).
>>
>>52401444
total amount od iDevices >20
total amount of Android Devices <20

Logic is a good thing.
>>
>>52401444
I did not update from 4.4 because every single update since 4.0 introduced some retarded useless feature and removing somerhing that is actually usefull.
>>
Fortunately from what I read all phones sold here on out are already carrier-unlocked. Also I don't know why Google doesn't do what Apple does for the carrier-side of the problem.
Example:
>new iOS update comes out
>sometimes device or iTunes tells you that there is a carrier update
>you choose to update
>doesn't affect anything that is user visible
>most recent updates from att included VoLTE, wifi calling and numbersync

In short carriers aren't allowed to hold software back. Yes I am fully aware of the multitude of devices that android has in comparison to apple but all the firmware and software support should come from Google and OEMs.
>>
>>52407478
Please don't be a programmer.
>>
>tfw my Nexus 5 will not receive Android N
>tfw iPhone 4S is still supported

You really do get what you pay for...
>>
>>52407843
oh anon, why must you bait so shamelessly.
>>
>>52405733
no, thats just ugly
on the ipad pro maybe
>>
>>52401444
>Why are Android updates nonexistant?
2 part answer:

>why it happened in the first place
because Google bedded the carriers, by giving them back the control over the phones that apple has stolen, in exchange for free marketing.
Why do you thing android phones were pushed so hard when buying from a carrier store?

>why it keeps happening
because the majority of android users are not tech literate, they got it free on a contract and use it as a dumbphone, so they don't care
>>
After recently switching to iOS I've decided I hate it without jailbreak
>>
>>52401444
you get what you pay for.

on iPhone you get more intangibles, such as software support
>>
>>52405787
some features like airdrop in iOS 7 and handoff in iOS 8 weren't added to older iPhones because it was literally impossible because it didn't have the hardware
it would be stupid not to release updates for them at all as they still get minor features, new settings, security patches and support for apps made with new sdks made for newer software. I think an iOS device running an iOS version thats two years behind (so iOS 7 right now) the rest is technically considered obsolete as developers are only required to have apps support the current iOS and last years iOS versions.
I know that the iPhone 4 and 4s still got the new design, control center, and most of the new features in apps such as the app store, camera, safari and all that. And in iOS 8 they got all the features from photos, messages, notification center as well as homekit support, healthkit support, family sharing, 3rd party keyboards, iCloud drive

so there were some features they didn't get, but overall I think they've done an all right job
>>
>>52401444
That pie chart isn't rendered correctly. If you look closely, you'll see that the space for "ios 9 75%" is a little less than 75% of the chart
>>
File: MOND.jpg (30 KB, 370x205) Image search: [Google]
MOND.jpg
30 KB, 370x205
>>52405859
>>
>>52401444
> running whatever ROM your phone comes stock with
For what purpose
>>
>>52401444
>just discarding old iphones that dont get the update
nice try fagboy
>>
>>52407544
The problem is that android manufacturers have this bizarre need to make each phone a fucking snowflake as far as hardware is concerned, which basically rules out the idea of a single Android release to rule them all. It's not even like Windows where at the very least everybody is running on standardized x86 hardware, so manufacturers have to write drivers for each phone and once they get tired of supporting said phone, consumers are just fucked.

Google very badly needs to set forth a reference spec for each common Android form factor and then tell companies, "follow the standard or you can't use android branding".
>>
>>52409350
The problem with that is that companies will just fork android and call it whatever they want. Thus avoiding such ultimatum.
>>
>>52409382
Easier said than done, especially if Google kicks the pace up a notch or two on releases and refuses to help out offending companies when it comes to hardware issues and the like.

There's also a lot being lost if you can't use Android branding. Generally, people want an iPhone or and Android phone because that's what they know. The reaction isn't going to be kind when Joebob at the AT&T store tries to sell them a phone running SamsungOS or whatever.
>>
File: 1421143273672.jpg (50 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1421143273672.jpg
50 KB, 1024x768
>>52401444
>wanting battery-killing Lollipop over based KitKat
>waiting for stock updates instead of installing Cyanogen/any other ROM
>>
>>52409459
Another thing that came to mind is that once Google has an official reference spec, they'll be able to optimize the living hell out of Android for that spec. The difference would start out minimal but over the course of a year or two the difference between reference-based Android devices and snowflake Android devices would be so great that only total idiots would buys the snowflakes.
>>
>>52401444
What really worries me is that Android NEVER gets security updates.

I mean, I get security updates at least every 2 weeks even on distros like Ubuntu LTS.

But the devices that knows where I am all the time? the one with information on my credit cards and cookies login me to all my digital accounts? Yeah, that shit doesn't need updates.

One of these days there is going to be a massive malware swarming all over Android and maybe then Google, OEMs and Carriers will start taking this seriously.
>>
>>52409350
>The problem is that android manufacturers have this bizarre need to make each phone a fucking snowflake

Can you really blame them?

There are only TWO manufacturers that make money out of phone sells: Samsung and Apple.

Motorola was sold to the Chinese, HTC died after delivering 2 generations of meh phones, Sony is still sinking pretty much because of poor phone sales, Nokia was killed by Microsoft, LG delivered the most interesting phone of last year and nobody gave a fuck about it.

That's why you see these new phones with retarded resolutions, shittones of megapixels that nobody needs and OEMs apps.

They need to be snowflakes to survive... Of course, they will all fail.
>>
>>52410037
I could be wrong but I bet it'd be easier for them to get by if they didn't have to spend all that money on hardware R&D and instead snapped together off the shelf parts.

Generic PC manufacturers have survived like that for decades. They don't turn a huge profit but they do better than most smartphone manufacturers.
>>
>>52409917

Android gets monthly security updates on top of major OS updates, it's up to carriers and manufacturers to push them in time.
>>
>>52401444
Android is a dead platform

It exists to subsidize phones for curry kids
>>
File: 1422349748813.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1422349748813.png
246 KB, 550x535
>>52401444
Updating your software when they just work already
>>
>>52402929
>it's okay for an update to ruin performance so long as I get the update
>>
>>52410585
IT
JUST
WORKS

http://bgr.com/2015/11/06/google-android-security-issues-fix/
>>
>>52401444
Because there are a hundred different manufacturers of Android phones

Is everyone on this board really this stupid?
What the fuck happened to you, /g/?
>>
>>52411305
That's a shitty excuse. Have you taken a look at the generic PC industry any time in the last three decades? Shitloads of different manufacturers but holy shit, would you look at that, they all run Windows/Linux/*BSD and all get software updates at the same time!

No, the real reason is that android manufacturers are shitheads who have the dumb idea that their flavor of proprietary will suddenly dominate the market, putting them in the lead when the truth is they're just making things shittier for everyone involved.
>>
>>52411663
>No, the real reason is that there's a couple dozen shitheads in the entire world at the engineering depts for various companies trying to justify why they should have a job by churning out useless shit and claiming it will benefit the brand/company

Fixed.
>>
>>52401444
>update iPhone 4 on to iOS 7
>slow as shit now
>update iPhone 4 on to iOS 8
>even slower, all animations lag
>battery lasts half a day
>overheats all the fucking time

Good thing Android doesn't do this shit, if a device's old, abandon it instead of giving it crutches and saying, "hey you can still walk!"
>>
>>52401444
Seriously fuck Sony I'm still on 5.02 holy fuck I just want the 5.1 that your website says was released last year that's all.
>>
>>52402022
Android is open source for a reason you dip, fucking educate yourself.
>>
>>52402022

Err... licenses, bro. But they could say that OEMs aren't allowed to call it Android if they make a locked down pile of shit.
>>
Android is released for a huge clusterfuckish variety of hardware. So for each release there is also a period of time during which the phone manufacturer adapts their own features to the new version.

This process of adapting the stock android release to a manufacturer's specification is very complex and it involves feedback from Google too.

Imagine this back and forth process between manufacturer and Google which results in a release that will have to go through yet another stage: localisation for each geographical area where different models with different parts are sold. Then finally after it gets distributed to carriers, they might also want to add their bloat.

Overall the whole process of updating is more complicated on the Android side, because of the great variety of hardware, manufacturers' own software and carriers fragmentation.
>>
>Mother has android phone
>Complains that it's installing updates all the time
>I have hand me down iPhone 4
>Says if you want to update you need to buy a newer phone
>>
>>52412232
Google play services aren't. and Google already does set rules for OEMs to follow if they want to ship phones with GPS on them
>>
Apple only has a handful of mobile devices that they have to tweak for iOS, and all of them have very similar hardware. There is absolutely no hardware standard for Android, and there are hundreds of devices all in different performance ranges.

Not to mention, because phone hardware keeps improving at a rapid rate, older phones aren't seeing all of the benefits from the updates and features that the newer phones are. You're best bet is to root and install a custom ROM, because if you want something done you're better off doing it yourself, and at least Android let's you.
>>
>>52412893
>and there are hundreds of devices all in different performance ranges.

Google doesn't bother even trying to support those. When you get to the applel price range, pretty much everything runs on 2-3 different processors in the same family, with just different clockspeeds, and that's all Google really bothers with optimizing for.
>>
>>52401444
>Why are Android updates nonexistant? Why are OEMs so jewish about updating their old devices?
how else do you keep selling new phones? Stop support on older ones, forcing people to buy new
>>
>>52412147
don't update then you cuck
>>
>>52413927
How is it any different than using an android then?
>>
>>52414519
it isn't but that phone is literally from 2011 it has had a good run, it ran literally every iOS version up until iOS 9.
The problem with android is that sometimes year old or even brand new phones don't get updates
>>
>>52414911
Almost all phones get updates unofficially which are very good
>>
>>52405733
but that would be practical, that's against apples philosophy.

Remember, the ipad is just a big phone.
>>
>>52413927
you're forced to by the app store.
>>
>>52402235
>not wiping phone on first boot and install <insert ROM name here>
>>
>68% of Android phones are outdated

Kek
>>
>>52409917
>the one with information on my credit cards
>banking on your phone
oh, boy
>>
>Apple tells phone carriers to fuck off when they try to put shit on their handsets

>Google fold like pussies, allow bloat and fracture the OS and wonder why no one buys Android

Kek. Glad I always buy iPhones.
>>
It's a good thing too. Can you you imagine running 5.1 in some old as android 2.3 phone?
>>
>>52416203
>his bank doesn't have a mobile app
Time to switch banks anon. I can do all my daily banking needs on the mobile app. And I use the mobile app more for doing my banking since its UX is better than the website.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.