[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Computer Science a good degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: college-laptop-classroom.jpg (60 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
college-laptop-classroom.jpg
60 KB, 500x246
Is Computer Science a good degree?
>>
>>52334256
and how full of shit is >>>/r9k/25620880
>>
bumping for pls help
>>
>>52334256
>Is Computer Science a good degree?
Yes, it is a good degree. However CS is incredibility saturated with new kids thinking they can be the next Zuckerberg or create the next Reddit. When you get this degree and look for a job ask yourself a these things:

>What do I want to do?
This is something you can be asked in any high paying job such as Google, Apple, etc. Many people don't have the answer to this or at least a proper one. A common answer is "I want to program computers" But no fucking shit, that's why you got the degree. Find something you're passionate about in CS.
>What do you want to fix?
A good way to get started in Computer Science even outside of college is asking yourself this question. I find it helpful to find something that needs to be changed, something that you'll like to see and then do it. There's always a problem that needs to be fixed whether it's something small or something on a large scale

Lastly you should not wait to get a degree to do something, start now. That's the best way to get ahead of the game.
>>
bumping for more opinions
>>
>>52334776
/thread
>>
File: 1449464568973.jpg (372 KB, 1250x833) Image search: [Google]
1449464568973.jpg
372 KB, 1250x833
>>52334256
>>
Is computer science full of sperglords like most people here claim? Could the same thing be said about computer engineering? Also, whats the main difference between these two majors?
>>
>>52337720
compE is hardware(drivers too)

cs is software

basically.
>>
>>52334256
I want to get a minor in this with my Finance major. I want to get to algorithm and data structure. Anyone done the same?
>>
>>52337786
what about Informatics Engineering? is it the same as CS?
>>
>>52337690
Kek, in my class only one fgt has a mac, rest of the students have dell or acer or some shit..
And almost everyone uses Ubuntu
>>
CS is one of the easiest degrees to get with a relatively high demand. In that regard nothing is wrong with it.

In scientific academia you will be recognized as the CS faggot that you are. A child could do what you do.
>>
>>52337690
second guy on the right in the first row looks like he also has non apple laptop
>>
>>52334256
yes. its like 90% employment rate after graduation.
you have to be a complete idiot not to get a job of 45k/year after graduation. and thats usually bottom of the barrel
>>
I wanna work on software, but comp. eng. is really interesting to me.

Can I get a CS job with a CE degrees? Is it possible to take both CS and CE?
>>
File: 1421872731737.jpg (1 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1421872731737.jpg
1 MB, 5000x5000
>>52337690
Do americans really wear flip flops and shorts to class? Fucking disgusting
>>
>>52344245
Look, just because you're such a fucking hambeast that you can't find combat boots that fit over your cankles doesn't mean the rest of the world is so hung up on their bodies and how they present themselves to the world. Get the fuck off 4chan and go for a jog fatass.
>>
>>52337720
computer engineering student here. The answer is yes. And 3 girls in a 400 student class
>>
File: 1310693515813.jpg (10 KB, 144x145) Image search: [Google]
1310693515813.jpg
10 KB, 144x145
>>52344274
>Not wearing lazy clothes makes you a fatass

It's the other way around, Honey Boo boo
>>
>>52334256
MEME
E
M
E
>>
>>52344317
really?

describe a sperglord please?
>tfw incoming freshman

sperglord classmate stories thread?
>>
>>52341632
>And almost everyone uses Ubuntu
so almost everyone is a basic /g/ bitch who can't install gentoo

i'll be surfin the crest of that curve all year long boys
>>
File: otter.png (591 KB, 1008x1395) Image search: [Google]
otter.png
591 KB, 1008x1395
>>
>>52344386
Early drop out detected desu senpai
>>
>>52343685
i mean, cs is applied mathematics. it's not as hardcore as a real maths degree though. if you get a degree in maths, you'd be a god tier computational scientist, as the many other god tier computer scientists with mathematics degrees.

Leslie Lamport, for example.
>>
>>52344510
doubt it
>>
>>52344368
>laughs excessively at all of lecturers comments
>eg. long program runtime
>does all assignments day of release, before the notification lecture about it (we then have ~2-3 weeks after that) and makes sure everyone knows.

>he runs for student rep of algorithms and data structures comp20003, gets it as hes the only one. tells class he is happy to answer any questions that they may have every wednesday and friday lectures.
>stands out front of lecture for like 10 mins after every lecture waiting for people
>nobody ever spoke to him

What gets me is being in the 10% white demographic of my course (rest indian/chinese) and having around 5% females.. most of whom are asian.
Also I go to a top 20 cs uni and I hardly ever see people using linux. Mainly macs/pc
>>
>>52344421
Thanks senpai
>>
>>52344421
Useful, thanks.

Just had to edit out the faggy man pictures out on the right.
>>
>>52334776
Wisdom and truth.
/thread
>>
>>52334776
>However CS is incredibility saturated with new kids thinking they can be the next Zuckerberg or create the next Reddit.
So these students cant even create a myspace clone or a message board?

>A good way to get started in Computer Science even outside of college is asking yourself this question. I find it helpful to find something that needs to be changed, something that you'll like to see and then do it. There's always a problem that needs to be fixed whether it's something small or something on a large scale
This isnt CS, its engineering
>>
>>52344421
are people actually falling for this shit?
>le SS is a meme meme
>>
Information systems is the place to be.

You can literally meme and buzzword trough the whole master and later be the boss of cs master wagecucks.
>>
>>52334256
Why do americans bring their laptops to a CS lecture?
>>
>>52346989
Why are eurocucks too poor to afford laptops?
>>
>>52347095
>he thinks laptops are expensive
kek, so in other words laptops are seen as luxury good in the US and therefor you bring them to school
>>
>>52346716
>This isnt CS, its engineering
If you are going into CS then you are either interested in academia or in the "engineering" aspect. So if you want to study structures, feasibility, algorithms, etc great. If you are like 95% of the people who go into the field and want to get in software development/engineering then that question makes complete sense.

Oh and if you have a field you really like, say AI, robotics, computer graphics, or another one, that also helps a lot.
>>
>>52334256
>Is Computer Science a good degree?
It depends, do you want to learn programming?
Then no.

Do you want to learn the mathematics used in programming, and some mathematics that aren't used in programming, but rather theoretical systems.
Then yes.

Basically if you have had ever though about getting a degree in Math or Science this major is fine for you. If you're a retard who just wants to "program", well there's plenty of resources out there for that don't require you to spend 100k on a degree.
>>
>>52339598
Essentially it's all the same core with different specializations. If you wsnt to learn how to """""code"""", you can pick whatever you want since you learn that with every Computer related major.
CS -> algorithms and math
CE -> hardware, low level programming and electronics
SE -> management of large projects, "enterprise quality software", compliance to standards (boring as fuck, you might as well an hero right now)
>>
>>52347420
>tfw major in CS
>tfw figured out halfway through that CE gives me the biggest hardon
Fuck me, well guess I'll just have to learn it myself.
>>
>>52334776
When your just in computer science to make everything easy for yourself.
>>
>>52346716
>This isnt CS, its engineering

when i went to school CS and CE were often conflated.
>>
>>52334256
Is
>better be macfag than even remotely possibly be considered poorfag by some random fag
the universal motto now?
>>
>>52349330
just got to uni. fuck uni.
>>
Is ECE the best major
>>
>>52347505
take as many CE classes as you can, while you still can. I only realized CE game me the biggest hardon 2 years after graduating from CS
>>
>>52350976
Depends on school. In my school, it certainly was. IE was pretty decent too.
>>
>>52334256
sauce of pic? Looks like my school, but then again, I'm sure many auditoriums in many different schools look same-y
>>
>>52349330
but apple has insane rebates for college students! you just have to buy one
>>
>>52344124
>CS job

You mean a researcher, or professor? Because if you're talking about software engineering/development, that is not a "CS job" and you can most definitely get it with a CE degree.
>>
>>52334776
What if you want to fix open source stuff instead of the proprietary things.
>>
>>52334776
>However CS is incredibility saturated with new kids thinking they can be the next Zuckerberg or create the next Reddit.

They generally leave after the first semester/year if you go to a good university.

I'm at a quite good one in Montreal, and the first year we lost about 20 % of our class.
>>
>>52334256
If you go to a good university

Take particular care in America though, 80% of colleges seem to mix it up with IT and/or SoftEng (CS is NOT designed to teach you programming, but you will do programming)
>>
>>52351399
again, this statement

>>However CS is incredibility saturated with new kids thinking they can be the next Zuckerberg or create the next Reddit.

means setting up a service very similar to myspace or any messageboard. Its easy as piss.
>>
>>52352751
>be the next Zuckerberg or create the next Reddit.

Means a bit of programming, a lot of business knowledge and a fuckton of luck (so not much that's taught in CS)
>>
>>52349281
that's because you went to an underfunded school brah
>>
>>52346716
>So these students cant even create a myspace clone or a message board?
Many of them try, some might succeed but in reality we don't need another and they will never catch on.
>>52351305
>What if you want to fix open source stuff instead of the proprietary things.
Sure, who said you couldn't. I mostly work on Open Source Projects myself.
>>52351399
That's because most students don't have the drive to be programmer. Programming is easy to learn, but to do it as a job and dedicate yourself to it needs some kind of motivation behind it. Either that they're truly dumbasses

I didn't know this thread was still alive.
>>
File: 1452392796572.jpg (373 KB, 1250x833) Image search: [Google]
1452392796572.jpg
373 KB, 1250x833
>>52337690
>>
>>52343685
>>52344535
>cs is applied mathematics
CS is pure math. CS degrees are not degrees in CS though. Agreed that a degree in pure math prepares more for academic CS than CS degrees (at least in undergraduate but postgrad you'll get btfo).
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.