[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What am I doing with my life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: build.png (192 KB, 1920x1285) Image search: [Google]
build.png
192 KB, 1920x1285
/g/ I need help.

I'm using a MSI GS70 w/ I7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz. It also has a GTX 765m.

Here's a brief rundown of what's happened:

> left hinge snapped
> facia/bezel cracked
> wireless antenna broke
> removed screen
> changed thermal paste
> propped up behind monitor as a desktop pc w/ ethernet

It's developed weird lags and CPU spikes.

Pic related is my speccy and a proposed build. I'd like to still use this MSI as a PC at my dad's place.

Thoughts? Suggestions? If I can get the price even lower I'd be happy.

> I don't game much, but I'd like to know I could (GTA V and some racing sims are what I'd play)
> Mainly a shitposting machine that can last 2 years of education
>>
>>52264244
install gentoo
>>
>>52264246

Thanks I'll try that.
>>
>>52264244
>im a huge retard who cant google
> not using >>>/wsr/
>960gtx2gb not amd grapics
>western d blue not red ????
> kingston ssd if you want to poor fag on ssd get crucial.....
>BUYING FUCKING WINDOWS FULL PRICE NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? if you really want a legit verison of windows just buy a legit windows 7 key on ebay for like 10$ and just upgrade it to 8 or 10.... or you know just download it....
>spend the money you save with windows on a fucking cpu cooler.... Thermalright macho is really good and cheap because you fucking need a cpu cooler just be sure it fits in the case

NEXT TIME USE >>>/wsr/ you fucking nigger last time we helped you
>>
>>52264388

Thanks mate, gave me some things to think about.
>>
>>52264388
also i bet you forgot to remove the plastic under your cpu cooler and now its cocking like shit because of that. typical newfag error
>>
>>52264404
no problem senpai
just dont buy a 960 its fucking trash specialy the 2gb version, 4gb is the LEAST you want todays. 280x 380x 290/390 is what you looking for.
>>
>>52264244
also like i said>>52264428
really looks like you fucked up your cooler(forgot to remove plastic foil on it) or something. If you dont want your cpu anymore sent it to me in germany I take it.
>>
>>52264587

The speccy is for my MSI laptop. It was getting >90 at idle.

> take laptop apart
> remove CPU and GPU cooler
> clean old paste off surfaces
> apply new paste (arctic silver 5)
> attach coolers
> put laptop back together

I also blew out all the dust.
>>
>>52264640
nvm just looked at the temps just saw its a laptop, nvm then just get a pc.
also i recomment a at least gold cert PSU its worth it. look at thomes hardware psu chart and pick one its about the same price maybe 10$ but its well worth it!
>>
>>52264689
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
>>
File: 1450051824947.jpg (149 KB, 875x875) Image search: [Google]
1450051824947.jpg
149 KB, 875x875
>>52264640
In the meantime, are you sure the heatsink touches the chip. I had a problem on my laptop where the VRM where overheating. Turns out stock they had thermal pads about a full mm thick meaning there was a fuckhueg gap between the chips and the heatsink. Fixed that up with some copper shims.
>>
>>52264814

I'll have a look at that, thanks. I remember one of the pads fell off, so maybe I put it on and it squished up, causing a gap on the cpu.

Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>52264826
Godspeed. PS, I have a smug anime girl there because I was going to to blog for a bit and it made me feel smart.
I found the measurement my balling up some clay and applying the heatsink. The resulting patties (four VRMs, four data points) gave me my air gap size.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.