[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Next Gen Speculation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: FzyXJqA2_200x200.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
FzyXJqA2_200x200.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
So, Xbox came out and said that there will be a new console and they will be pushing it out at a faster pace than previous generations.

What are the odds that the next generation Xbox would be running on a modified windows 10 operating system, allowing for virtually all titles to be simultaneously released for both PC and Xbox? Cont.
>>
Additionally, what are the odds that standard multiplayer Xbox live becomes a free service, while crossplay and "Games for Gold" and other features become paid services with a normal monthly fee?

A console that shares the operating system with the most powerful, versatile, user friendly and largest game market platform, the PC, would surely dominate any and all competition that goes up with it.

We already see the new Windows phones acting as full desktops when it HDMI mode. And we know consoles are pushing closer to PC architecture. We see native keyboard and mouse gaming coming to Xbox one.

Its just a matter of time, isn't it?

Open to all discussion on both Xbox and ps4. Curiously to see where this technology might head.
>>
>>52227866
>So, Xbox came out and said that there will be a new console and they will be pushing it out at a faster pace than previous generations.
Fuck me sideways.
I mean, I'm sure if they just used the same API's and shit that devs wouldn't be too pissy, I mean like the GameCube to Wii, but all the stupid fucking fanboys would be upset, yeah?
I mean, it's been like 3 years, right? An upgrade every 4 years is almost besides the point.
I haven't even upgraded my GPU in that time.

Still, I guess every few years they could release a new one, say, "Xbox one Rev 1" with higher specs, and all further games can either run in original mode or rev 1 mode. After that, rev 2, all games still running on rev 0, but turn off the particle effects to convince the tards to switch.
>>
>>52227977
Check'd

I agree that more frequent releases diminishes the value of a console because you'll be spending money staying up to date longer.

But a new console that's roots are essentially a PC would mean there's a lot more power and features to control and regulate design. Plus the last gen consoles came out at a shitty time and technology, especially graphics and memory technology, has skyrocketed since then. A console released in 2017 or 2018 would likely have SSD's, ddr4 or GDDR5 Ram depending on implementation and possibly full x86 processors. Speculation, of course.

I think a convergence of Xbox and PC would be a fantastic thing. It would merge the game libraries, allow crossplay for thousands of users, make PC gaming accessible to the masses basically.
>>
>>52228032
Apple sheep pay 900 dollarydoos every year for a shit upgrade. i think gaming consoles can get enough idiots to do the same.
>>
>>52228032
>A console released in 2017 or 2018 would likely have SSD's, ddr4 or GDDR5 Ram depending on implementation and possibly full x86 processors. Speculation, of course.
Nigga the old ones had GDDR5, full x86 processors and they would have had SSD's if MS and Sony weren't jews.
>>
>>52228284
Misconception that I would take advantage of as a large company CEO. A chunk of iPhone users have had broken screen iphones for years because they can't afford new phones. A larger chunk of iPhone users are using older models because there's no need to replace them every year because of their support. Only the teenage audience with wealthier parents are getting iphones every year. Most of them getting them every two years.

>>52228314
>Custom 8 core AMD cpu at 1.75ghz
Real awesome stuff there, right? I'm talking about something that is actual worth more than my pubic hair.

Sony had GDDR5 memory, sure. But its implementation with a weak processor and graphics card gave it very little practical advantage over the Xbox one. Most games couldn't hit 1080p@60 and are locked at 30. The Xbox one is doing 720 and 900p @60 upscaled to 1080p with nobody being able to tell the difference apart from some better color reproduction on the PS4 and that's only when you're buying high end TV's.

Apart from shitty devs pushing out shitty games, both consoles perform nearly hand it hand in practically applications outside of theoretical specs and benchmarks.

Undoubtedly an i3 or i5 processor, DDR4 OR GDDR5 Ram and a modern day DX12 you chipset with a 500gb SSD would dominate anything on the market today and sell very well especially if you told me you can crossplay with power PC users on addition to access all computer games that support keyboard and mouse or a gamepad and fit the console specs. Which instantly adds thousands of PC titles to the mix.

Including all of the media features the Xbox holds over the current Sony devices.
>>
Sauce? I can't find jack shit on the internet
>>
>>52227866
>Xbox

Never forget the original plan.

1. No used discs -- no used games.
2. Forced Kinect -- always watching you.

These people need to die. Don't feed them.
>>
>>52229313
Fuck off tinspewer
>>
>>52228426
Intel or Nvidia processors will never be used in a console again. They both raked Microsoft hard during the original Xbox days. The games industry hasn't forgotten.

Next console generation will either be wall-to-wall AMD or ARM will produce some high-powered chips.

I miss the 6th generation of consoles where everybody had completely different hardware.

Dreamcast: Hitachi CPU, PowerVR GPU
PS2: Sony CPU, Sony GPU
Gamecube: IBM CPU, ArtX/ATi GPU
Xbox: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU

5th generation wasn't even so diverse, since both the PS1 and N64 used MIPS CPUs.
>>
Why the fuck would you buy an Xbox console? The 360 had no exclusives for the latter half of its life cycle, and the One has no exclusives period. It's literally just an underpowered, overpriced Windows gaming PC
>>
It will just suck anyway. The console hardware business model is broken and useless now.

It only made sense when GPUs were niche items mainly used for games.
>>
fuck off back to >>>/v/ cunts
>>
>>52229453
Ebin :DDDdD

>>52229472
Meme
>>
>>52229489
Answer the question, why would you buy an Xbox console over a PC or a Playstation? Halo?
>>
>>52228426
>Real awesome stuff there, right?
Well, yes. Eight cores with a large IGP on die and relatively low power consumption is really impressive and pretty damn awesome.
>with nobody being able to tell the difference
That's pretty understandable as no one ever runs two different consoles side by side playing the same game. The difference has to be pretty extreme for the average person to notice a difference. The average person doesn't notice a difference between blu ray and DVD until they're both held up side by side for them.
>>
>>52229564
>Well, yes. Eight cores with a large IGP on die and relatively low power consumption is really impressive and pretty damn awesome.
They're garbage AMD netbook cores. Even ARM is faster. The xbone and ps4 are total shit.
>>
At a point where it becomes a full PC, Microsoft has no reason to sell it so cheap. Especially if there's no Xbox Live subbies and people just use steam instead. Nice idea though. I was considering using an Xbox One as a desktop for casual stuff. Cba with gaming anymore though.
>>
>>52229516
Halo, forza, gears of war, and plenty of other popular titles. Kinect is the superior movement sensor and there are plenty of games kids and parents use for the kinect. It's great for streamers and media center users. Not to mention the Xbox one as a whole is a fantastic media center. Movies, music, YouTube, games, NFL fantasy feature is pretty cool. The integration with Windows 10 and the new streaming features along with Windows 10 parties is awesome IMO. Xbox one added native keyboard and mouse gaming capabilities soon If they haven't already with the new update.

Windows phone work great with both platforms and smartglass is super convenient.

There are pros to be said for both sides but you'd have to be retarded to flame the Xbox because it performs slightly worse than another product by a different company that's holding into dear life purely by the sales of the PS4.
>>
>>52227866
>>52227866
What the fuck I just got a Xbone....
>>
>>52229641
Microsoft is moving towards a closed ecosystem, i believe. Pushing Microsoft branded products harder than ever. They might never stop other companies from using their OS but they're definitely wanted Microsoft products in people's homes over dell, Asus, etc... So the price increases aren't that big of a deal. Look at what people pay for iphones these days.

>>52229670
I was mistaken, their pretty set on waiting until approx 2023, a 10 year cycle. I personally doubt it. But there WILL be a new console and if they are waiting that long its definitely going to be more PC than console.
>>
>>52229653
You're crazy, the xbone is dead and only sells in the USA. I doubt the xbox brand will ever recover. Only a fool would invest in the platform.
>>
>>52229708
>The Xbox One only sells in the USA meme
>>
>>52229698
>their pretty set on waiting until approx 2023, a 10 year cycle

Any source or you talking out your ass?
>>
>>52229708
Its true,

most people see PS as the premier gaming platform since they have loyalties all the way from PS1 which came out WAY before Xbox One (kek)
>>
>>52229564
>Eight cores with a large IGP on die and relatively low power consumption is really impressive and pretty damn awesome.

I'm actually more impressed by Wii U power consumption. 33W under load.

Also the CPU of that console isn't as bad as some people make out. The FP and SIMD capabilities are garbage, but it's ridiculously strong at integers. Also the pipeline is only 4 stages long, so it goes a hell of a lot faster than the clock speed suggests.

Still weak as piss though, but power usage good for 2012.
>>
>>52229698
>Microsoft is moving towards a closed ecosystem, i believe
Strongly disagree. They're trying to move towards a consistent user experience across multiple platforms, with the ability to continue your session regardless of device. This is especially obvious when they talk about Continuum for windows phone.
>They might never stop other companies from using their OS but they're definitely wanted Microsoft products in people's homes over dell, Asus, etc...
This is more of a leading strategy than trying to dominate the market. They're trying to show what devices could be. The two in one market has been plagued by half arsed attempts until Microsoft made the surface. Windows phone consisted entirely of shit until Nokia joined the scene. Even now, years later, no one else is capable of making a windows phone that isn't made from the leftovers from the spare parts bin.
>>
>>52229755
Easy to find that info but if you insist on being spoonfed you'll have to wait for me to get free time to search because I'm at work.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.