[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think about implanting a small neodymium magnet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 1000x1000
What does /g/ think about implanting a small neodymium magnet inside your finger? Apparently when the nerves around it heal it allows you to sense magnetic fields as the magnet reacts to them.

Worth the pain and possible negative immune system reactions?
>>
Why would you want to sense magnetic fields? It must feel disturbing as fuck, and is pretty much useless.
>>
>>52248179
You can use it to detect current in wires also. You should be able to use your hand as a stud detector
>>
>>52248179
essentially this. i thought about it a few years ago but decided it was a bad idea because the long term impacts would be pretty serious. your fingers wouldn't survive a trip into an MRI room, for one. but more generally, you'd *constantly* be feeling this shit.

The notion of having a sense of EM waves is a very neat one for about 5 minutes when you think about it safely in your head, but actually doing it would be the act of an immature, imprudent jackass with no eye toward long-term repercussions.

Your life and your body are not appropriate field sites to experiment haphazardly with half-baked ideas. doing anything to your body that leaves anything there or changes anything should be *very* carefully considered.
>>
File: FD-GPS.jpg (170 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
FD-GPS.jpg
170 KB, 800x600
>>52248159
>Apparently when the nerves around it heal it allows you to sense magnetic fields as the magnet reacts to them.
Sounds like bullshit. A magnet is a magnet and not a magnetic sensor, human nerves surrounding it don't change that.

That's like tacking pic rel to your forehead and claiming you can locate yourself.
>>
There was a Joe Rogan podcast about guys who do it, but they are very very green and not really a legit company. Just a few fucks performing surgery on themselves. Not sure whatever happened to them.
>>
>>52248247
The magnet wobbles and moves around inside your flesh, it's even possible for it to flip if you're around strong enough magnetic fields. You don't feel the field, you just feel your magnet moving inside you.
>>
>>52248202
is the inability to detect current in wires something that's seriously holding you back in life? does fixing that outweigh all the drawbacks of having magnets in your fingertips?

people don't appreciate how delicate your fingertips are. not just in terms of dexterity, either - you have an intense packing of nerves at your fingertips.

again, this is the kind of stupid impulsive thing that sounds neat for 5 minutes when you let your inner child run loose with the idea. the problem is that you're (hopefully) an adult and eventually you need to take control of that train of thought.
>>
>>52248247
They mean you can feel it moving in your finger.

Magnets in the fingers sounds like a good way to damage hard drives.
>>
>>52248247
The human nervous system is actually pretty cool. The brain learns to interpret all kinds of nervous impulses as data. Blind people can learn to interpret electrical impulses given off by a simulated eye as a crude version of sight.

Itd probably work, once your nerves recovered and brain learned to interpret it.
>>
>>52248247
I think he means that it would push up against the nerves in you're finger
>>
>>52248283
This
If you want to know how annoying it'd be you can glue a very small neodymium magnet to your fingernail. The sensation's not as strong but it'd give you a rough idea.

I'd rather get an NFC chip implant, they're relatively safe and easy to put in
>>
Sounds really dumb. You're free to fuck yourself up but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>52248276
This. Just superglue a magnet to your finger for a week and you'll get the exact same sensation.
>>
>>52248247
NEUROPLASTICITY
>>
>>52248159
I had to have a glass shard removed from my index. Along with it they removed a small lump of flesh since they couldn't find the shard.
After the anesthetic effect wore off I was hit by the worse pain I ever suffered.
The subsequent two weeks were hell, and only after a couple of months the pain passed entirely.
When I discovered that there were two shards and they removed just one I decided to keep the second and the occasional low pain not to go through that again.
So no, I don't think that sensing magnetic fields is worth it.
>>
>>52248159
>negative immune system reactions?
your idea is literally AIDS
>>
>>52251325

That's a fucking stupid comparison
>>
>it allows you to sense magnetic fields as the magnet reacts to them.
I cannot see a significant amount of value in this.

>Worth the pain and possible negative immune system reactions?
>possible negative immune system reactions?
HELL NO!

Also, assuming there were no negative reactions from the body, there would still be some negative reactions from one's electronic devices. I would rather not destroy my laptop hard drives all the fucking time.
>>
Can it make me be as hardcore as Magneto?

It can't?

Then No. That is just stupid.
>>
>>52251396
>>52248276
why are you tripfagging tho
>>
>>52251361
eh fuck you buddy!
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (51 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
51 KB, 396x385
>you were born too early for the augmentation age
>>
USEFUL REMINDER THAT VIRTUAL REALITY, CYBORG AND ALL THE MAN-MACHINE BULLSHIT YOU SEE AROUND IS JUST ANOTHER MEAN TO REDUCE MEN DOWN TO SLAVES, OR SERFS TO THE JEWS

AVOID AS CANCER AND SAGE SUCH BULLSHIT

THANK YOU
>>
File: 1429786772121.png (116 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1429786772121.png
116 KB, 500x500
>>52251446
>you were born just right to post and collect rare pepes
>>
>>52251361
>being this fucking retarded
>>
>>52251361
Not really.
For putting the magnet in, you have to take some flesh out.
Or having an external body pressing on skin/flesh, which is also painful.
I just brought my experience with foreign bodies in your fingers to the table, explaining it's one of the worst pain you can experience.
If you're too stupid to understand it, it's your problem.
>>
>>52251456
just like internet and 4chan
>>
>>52251446
Augmentations are literally the botnet endgame.
They will shut off your augmentations and send grey goo through your body when you go against them.
>>
>>52248159
Neodymium is brittle as fuck, cracks easily and is quite sharp. You'll just fuck yourself up if you touch anything metal. It's a dumb idea.
>>
File: madscientist.jpg (30 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
madscientist.jpg
30 KB, 400x394
Does someone has a valid source about that?
>>
>fingers are already super fucking sensitive where it becomes kind of gross to touch glass and/or silky objects after washing hands
>oh yeah put a magnet that's as strong as a piece of wet cardboard in your finger friendo
why
>>
So that's what those hipsters have been putting in their lobes
>>
>>52248159
wouldn't it make more sense to make a feedback glove that would vibrate on strong EM instead?

sounds less retarded desu.
>>
>Need MRI
>Can't go into MRI without creating large holes in my hand and tearing apart nerves.

Pls no.
>>
>>52251412
nice comeback
>>
>>52252134
>implying it was a "comeback"
cunt
>>
>>52248276
Oh I see, so you get this terrible feeling of having your skin pulled off from the inside any time your finger comes near a ferrous object.

Where do I sign up?
>>
>>52251879
What would happen if you got an mri?
>>
>>52252430
The machine would literally rip the magnets right out from under your skin. MRI's are like super magnets bruh.
>>
>>52252430
well you know mri is a big magnet
i know at least one guy was crushed to death when he took an oxygen tank into the mri room and the mri machine picked up the tank and pulled it across the room with enough force to kill the guy.

if you have ferrous material in your body it will get really fucking hot and move around
>>
>>52251879
>feeling special
>posting on /g/
>thighs feel weak, can't piss
>go to ER
>cauda equina suspected
>wheeled in for an emergency MRI
>forgot to wear my "I'm an x-man. I can tell you if that wire is live. Ask me how." bracelet
>no one knows about my powers
>nurse opens MRI room doors
>nurse begins to wheel stretcher in
>arm flies up past my head
>magnet rips finger apart
>flies through tech's chest
>magnet exits tech's left aorta
>punches through MRI
>MRI quenches into room
>tech asphyxiates in ten seconds
>tech is frozen solid a few seconds later
>arm frozen solid to stretcher with blood
>wake up
>arm amputated
>MRI missed
>emergency spinal decompression not performed
>paralyzed from waist down
>X-men blamed
>Xavier institute shut down
>tried for manslaughter
>receive life sentence
>multi-million dollar lien placed on all future income until damages are paid in full
>can no longer feel the magnetic field
>dream about regaining my powers
>wake up in cell
>feel new sensation in my anus and rectum
>turn head
>It's Professor X
>>
File: 1385165090180.jpg (7 KB, 215x268) Image search: [Google]
1385165090180.jpg
7 KB, 215x268
>>52252633
>>
>>52248202
this
you should also get a metallic plate on your forehead, to use your useless skull as a hammer of sorts!
>>
File: therarest.png (2 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
therarest.png
2 MB, 900x900
>>52251463
Dumb frog poster
>>
>>52248242
>you'd *constantly* be feeling this shit.
wouldn't your brain get used to it and ignore it the same way it does with the weight of clothes?
>>
File: 1451549658590.png (201 KB, 462x312) Image search: [Google]
1451549658590.png
201 KB, 462x312
>asking this on /g/
>pick a hard drive or tape
>WHOOPS IT'S GONE

why would you
>>
>>52251515
A glass shard and a round piece of metal are totally different sensations. I have a piece of metal inside my middle finger due to an accident and I hardly ever felt any pain, aside from the tendon recovery exercises.
>>
>>52248202
>You can use it to detect current in wires

Here's the proper tool for that job, also with the added benefit of not fucking electrocuting yourself by sticking your hands on potentially exposed hot wires.
>>
>>52252758
Or breathing manually.

Or the position of your tongue in your mouth.

Or how often you blink.

You're welcome.
>>
>>52252633
top kek
>>
File: different.jpg (76 KB, 628x354) Image search: [Google]
different.jpg
76 KB, 628x354
>>52252966
>A glass shard and a round piece of metal are totally different sensations.
They definitely feel different.
>>
File: 1449734362478.gif (89 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1449734362478.gif
89 KB, 256x256
>>52248247
>I'm an idiot with a computer science degree and no nothing of human anatomy or the nervous system.

FTFY
>>
I know a guy that tried this.

He mainly complained about feeling stuff while trying to sleep, due to wiring in the wall near his bed.
>>
Why not just suck a magnet with some tape on your finger, and get the same amazing effect, but with the ability to take it off.

Even that is pretty pointless.
>>
>>52251396
>no ssd
>>
>>52253341
>no

also you're a retard
>>
>>52253290
this picture reminds me of these fucking niggers where I used to live who tried to rob and shoot people using birdshot, they were the stupidest mother fuckers out there.

I remember once they tried to hold up a convenience store and the owner pulled out his sidearm and they got into a firefight, retards just shot at him with bird shot he only got hit 3 or 4 times with individual pellets and killed one of them in return and wounded the other to the point where he couldn't get up.

Damn I miss the 90s.
>>
>>52248159
i read about some roastie that did this with nail polish
that makes a lot more sense tbŐ°
>>
>>52252430
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg
shit would go down faster than you could cry about it
>>
>>52248159
If you tape rocks to your speaker wire the dark matter in em makes it sound better.
>>
>>52248159
Have fun getting a tech job with a magnet in your finger.
>>
>>52248159
you should implant a small lead bullet inside your skull, OP
>>
>>52253773
Where the fuck do you find an mri magnet to play with?
>>
>>52251412
He's been doing it since before he left /mlp/.
Honestly I missed him
>>
>>52248247
>I never took anything beyond classical kinematic physics
Magnets moving in an electric field induce current, which is how you nerves communicate already, moron.
>>
>>52253908
By being a biomedical engineer at a large hospital.

I can get tons of em.
>>
>>52255586
>which is how you nerves communicate already
>nerves use electrical current
nope, try again
>>
>>52255816
Sorry but you're dead wrong.
>>
>>52256002

>his biology information is based on half-remembered internet memes

crack open your fucking bio textbook, retard

N E U R O T R A N S M I T T E R S
>>
>>52256002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltatory_conduction
it's not electrical conduction, it is a chain effect as each section of membrane triggeres the next, as its (static) charge changes rapidly due to ion exchange
>>
>>52256237
>>52256245
>splitting hairs
I work as a biomedical engineer. Yes they use potassium salts to transfer the electrical signals, and technically it isn't current in the traditional sense because it's not electrons moving across a metallic wire, but when you work with it you refer to it as current because it behaves similarly. It's been a while since I was in college and gave a fuck about the specific biochemistry, I'm glad they teach you kids these things though.

A neodymium magnet that has current induced in it could provide the same electrical potential to the next nerve as if it were a nerve itself.
>>
>>52248202
But then there'd be too much local interference.
>>
File: But-why-meme1.jpg (102 KB, 640x296) Image search: [Google]
But-why-meme1.jpg
102 KB, 640x296
Autismus maximus: the thread
>>
OP obviously was vaccinated
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.