[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people talk about linux as a viable option for regular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: frodo.png (325 KB, 560x559) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
325 KB, 560x559
Why do people talk about linux as a viable option for regular people when it ALWAYS has crippling bugs such as no wifi connection or intermittent wifi disconnections or just random shit like refusing to install stuff?

Oh and everything is hardware specific and there are 50000 kernels and distros and whatever, so it's impossible to find help on google.

Why are these "linux is user friendly and doesn't make you waste shitloads of time on IT problems" lies perpetuated on /g/?
>>
If you can't figure out how to install Linux, then you deserve to use your botnet. There's literally a walk through on every distro website. In most cases it works right out of the box.
>>
>>52180973
>in most cases it works right out of the box
I'm pretty good with computers, I work primarily with windows server systems but for shits and giggles I installed ubuntu on one of my drives the other day.
1. Nvidia drivers won't work. Makes me disable x server. Let's how to do that. Disable x server and reboot. Now my login screen won't work. Find out there is a bug with ubuntu 15s log in and full disk encryption after disabling x server.
2. Install 14 lts and use synaptic to get Nvidia package. Still won't work. Turns out I have to blacklist the noveuao drivers. Okay I do that, get graphics working.
Now there is no sound. Ubuntu will only recognize my NVIDIA HDMI output as the only soundcard. After going through hours of fixes and forun.browsing I say gg and go back to wondows.
I'm sure it's not this bad for everyone, but fuck any OS that takes that much peeconfiguring
>>
>>52180891
Linux for desktop is a good timesink for people without direction in life.
>>
>>52181070
Ubuntu is shit, I've had issues with it as well.
>>
>>52181070

>Nvidia

4 THE GAMERZ

men with jobs use integrated graphics
>>
I very sparingly have crippling issues with Linux and BSD unless I'm using Arch Linux.
I consistently have more issues with Windows than any of the other platforms.
>>
>>52181070
>I'm pretty good with computers
ho ho ho ho ho ho

It's kind of funny seeing so many of these supposedly really "technically adept" types go all apeshit over people using Linux or OSX. My experience is that it's usually just their ego telling them that "No, you can't be bad at something relating to computers, so it has to be something other than you" to avoid having to admit that they only know how to use Windows.

Personally I dumped Windows for OSX around 2007 and after a lot of tinkering with UNIX stuff in OSX all my desktops have since then run Linux (while my laptops run OSX). At this point Windows has to me become "That OS the clueless, kids who want to play games and those who have to use some really obscure tools only available on Windows". Pretty much all the software I run into, even the obscure stuff like AVR Studio, Matlab, Quartus II, etc., run on ether Linux or OSX.
>>
>>52180891
Bullshit: tell me what laptop do you have and what distro you installed.
>>
>>52180891
why do people pay attention to threads started with this image
>>
>>52181070
I blame Nvidia for being dicks with the Linux community, not the other way around.
Do you realise how hard it is to engineer drivers from 7 billions of undocumented transistors ?

>bazillions of kernels
Note, bazillions ways to configure it. You should try doing it yourself someday. AFAIK there is only one official repo for the Linux kernel.
>>
>>52181226

>I'm pretty good with computers

I know how to click some buttons in a GUI, one time I even had to install graphix drivers. I'm pretty much a l33t haxxor, hit me with your best shot.
>>
>>52180891
report and hide.

another troll thread.
>>
>>52180891
Ubuntu and Mint are windows-tier easy to install and use. It's the support (with regards to drivers especially) that sucks balls.
>>
>>52181270
I'm the primary windows server engineer at an msp. I'm not that good at programming, but I've fairly proficient with command line and powershell. I don't mind using the terminal on linux, in fact it's kinda fun learning something new. But the fact that nothing worked the way it should was absolute balls.
>>
>>52181070
>Nvidia drivers won't work
I've been using a Fermii with Arch for 3 years now and never had any serious problems. What the fuck?
>>
>>52181356
I got them to work. It just took about an hour of tinkering. My point is, that I should have to put in so much effort to make something simple work. If it's your hobby go for it I guess
>>
>Why do people talk about linux as a viable option for regular people

Nobody thinks that. Most PC users are never going to open a terminal as long as they live. They don't need to learn that, and I don't need to learn carpentry. You can't be good at everything.
>>
>>52181388
It's not my hobby, I'm using GNU/Linux for work.
>>
>>52181340
>primary server driver
>expecting linux to work the same as windows
What are you, fucking gay?
>>
>>52181388
>complaining about muh time
install windows, it takes you an hour to install all the drivers and between half a day to three days to update it..
>>
>>52181399
shit, my dad uses ubuntu since 9.04 and had 0 (zero) problems with it; he never asked how to install it, how to anything. Also - he can't recall a situation where he HAD to do something in cli.
>>
>>52180891
>it ALWAYS has crippling bugs such as no wifi connection or intermittent wifi disconnections

You just described OSX
>>
>>52181593
i should also mention that he's not a computer expert by any means just your average computer user
>>
>>52181537
Like hell it does.
>>
>>52181340
>windows server engineer
So a sys admin? I don't think anyone who's not retarded said linux is for the average user. I'm pretty sure it's part of the ebin
>i'm a l33t haxx0r mom i GUId into our router kinds

Linux is great for small machines with a dedicated purpose. Doing things like networking. (I work for an ISP that uses a lot of Linux devices).
But yeah, because of compatibility issues with hardware and software I don't think linux is for your average user.
>>
File: 59518-944-550.jpg (64 KB, 944x550) Image search: [Google]
59518-944-550.jpg
64 KB, 944x550
>>52180891
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52180891
>Another ass who fell for the Fedora meme
>>
>>52181208
Nvidia has integrated graphics chips...
I'm confused on what this post is even trying to prove
>>
>>52181403
>GNU/Linux

Shut the fuck up, Stallman
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.