[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Slackware so shit? I installed it and literally nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 3300002732.jpg (123 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
3300002732.jpg
123 KB, 1024x1024
Why is Slackware so shit? I installed it and literally nothing worked.
>setup hanged on LILO install, had to boot from the disc and do it manually
>netconfig didn't work, had to do it manually
>X would start, had to configure it manually
>FUCKING REBOOT (yes, the command) wouldn't work, had to configure it manually
>Wouldn't recognize mouse, had to do it manually.

Seriously, is the distro just a big config file fetishist meme?
>>
File: no_brakes.jpg (315 KB, 786x800) Image search: [Google]
no_brakes.jpg
315 KB, 786x800
Because it doesn't use systemd.
>>
>>52178443
Because your stupid. But really man if its hard theres no benefit, lets all go back to windows!
>>
>>52178783
>Because your stupid.
How was any of that my fault you troglodyte? In fact, I fixed literally every problem I was presented with, I just wasn't happy with the time it took me to do so. Maybe you have time to play around with a toy distribution, but some of us have work to do.

But by all means, continue to blame me. Heaven forbid there be a problem with your precious meme distribution.

>A bu-bu ids da oldeeeeest

It's 2016 friendo, better things have come along.
>>
>>52178443

Some fags should just stick with Noobuntu.
>>
>>52179058
R E K T
E
K
T
>>
Because it's for more intelligent people than you with real stuff to do besides just having a riced out window manager.
>>
>>52178783
>>52179300
>installer doesn't installer
>configurer doesn't config
>rebooter doesn't reboot
>this is somehow my fault

Nice
>>
>>52179349

It's like a crocodile. It's been around forever and feels little need to change to accomdate modern ideas of user friendliness.
>>
>>52178443
Slackware is one of the shittiest distributions there is, piece of garbage doesn't even have a package manager or dependency resolution.
>>
>>52179058
your right man your probably not stupid, that was rude, i mean you used the word troglodyte so props i suppose. But it occurs to me that if your truly serious about using something in a work environment/ sys admin position you wouldn't use anything exactly as it comes default and would, god forbid take the time to configure things manually and custom tailor it to your position sacrificing convenience for stability which, stability is whats its mainly known for. But to make a thread downing a specific distro geared towards manual configuration because you might have to do some work all i can guess is you'd rather a super-edge ultra-update distro-supreme3000 tm where everything is done for you. We all make choices and personally id rather verify source and compile my own software on a simple stable system, granted some legacy crusty-ness. But by all means tell me what you use and others should use instead because simple stable non-purporting slackware is obviously a threat to its marketshare, why else make this thread?
>>
>>52179641
>package manager
>dependency resolution

or you could just resolve a few library dependencies yourself without implementing a big system-intrusive piece of nonsense just so you don't have to take the 5 minutes to do so.
>>
>>52178443
and oddly enough
>lilo
never had a problem in setup
>netconfig
worked for me, but hey who knows
>manually setting x config
so? xwmconfig is not that hard, use whatever you want even ricier type shit.
>reboot
works for me
>>
>Year of our lord two thousand and sixteen
>LILO
>>
>>52179841
http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:grub_on_first_install

or google for whatever your deal is
>>
slackware is GNU/Linux for windows users. think about it: - you have to install every program, besides the most basic ones, from some homepage after you downloaded it individually - installing things takes time and often will break your system - upgrading to new versions successfully relies on 99% sheer luck - slackware had its naming scheme altered by skipping from slackware 4 to slackware 7. like windows did multiple times as well, changing from version to year-based release names to simple names to version names again. - slackware still retains the same basic functions without any real innovation like windows does since 1.0. all they add is some more blingbling in the DE. - slackware users are uncaring, egoistic children that think they are being clever for using a cumbersome operating system for a mundane reason. in windows, that is "GAEMS!!!!", in slackware "NO DEPENDENCY MANAGEMENT MEANS FREEDOM!!!" - they both have their own operating system cult leaders. bill gates vs that volkerding guy - slackware and windows both dont care about support for architectures other than x86. only lately, after lots of nagging and threats, they have released a half-assed 64-bit version that breaks constantly. ARM, PPC, they all will never see any slackware or windows on them. SLACKWARE = GNU/WINDOWS
>>
>>52180026

Assmad Arch user who hasn't cultivated enough of a neckbeard to run Slackware. I bet you actually like systemd, too.
>>
File: departed.png (147 KB, 485x582) Image search: [Google]
departed.png
147 KB, 485x582
>>52180026
completely ridiculous and unsubstantiated. You find software, from wherever and whoever develops it, you get the source compile that shit and make a package nothing ever breaks. You make packages and uninstall packages, you can even use rpm's or deb's if your so inclined. The fact is all operating systems are are a bunch of software the flaw is to think that software and operating systems are codependent, their not, half the time the problems reside in whatever bullshit the developer did to save time or out of lazyness. If you depend on some company or os team to provide every god damned bit of software you need your not going to get it, your suppose to decide what you want and need, its your system. Regardless of whatever cult implications or vague bullshit you'd like to associate it with all it is is a stable system to start from, hell use LFS or BSD instead i don't care. All it is is a starting point, distro wars are just nonsense built to make more nonsense to drive you to use this or that to offer you the brand-newly improved system with such and such bell and whistle and its all cosmetic, which hell i guess its how open source developers get paid so why not. I'm just not the type of person who likes to fix shit that ain't broken and if there's something simple and deterministic that allows me to do virtually anything software wise without any implications of how or why, im gunna use that over something that points you to shit you don't need. Is it perfect, nah, but why were unix systems built instead of systems built on lisp or any of the other compromises in computer history, worse is better, and to be frank just because it works well doesn't mean it looks pretty or is gunna sell. So yeah self-dependency resolution might mean freedom, if i didn't want to audit, configure, and alter my system the way I want why the fuck use linux at all.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.