[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: GlrETNW.jpg (59 KB, 1071x592) Image search: [Google]
GlrETNW.jpg
59 KB, 1071x592
>>52183420 is the older thread.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the reddit-tier infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
Anyone running gnome LTS? 14.04 ubuntu I think. The monitor settings reset after each reboot and I was wondering if anyone had success with a login script to set them every time?
>>
>>52190795
How do I install to Windows 10
>>
Probably just gonna start drama with this, but someone should make a new version of that much-hated infographic.

I 100% agree that it was full of poor choices, but it was very aesthetically pleasing and I'd like something like it to be able to share with friends who are new to GNU/Linux or who don't use it yet.

Is there any way to convince the guy who made it to make some changes? I can't into image editing/design.
>>
>>52191045
>Is there any way to convince the guy who made it to make some changes?
No, he was a fucking moron.
>>
File: sailorsun.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sailorsun.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
Hey guys

I have new laptop I recently installed win7 pro on, but I want to also have access to linux on this device. The problem is, when I wanted to install linux mint/ubuntu, it didnt detect any operating systems being already installed, so there was no option to install it alongside win7.

I heard dualboot is very problematic, and I was wondering if there was any tutorial on getting it to work?

thanks
>>
>>52190795
how do I make my gentoo open rc load the video drivers or whatever first
>>
>>52191199
xorg will load them when it needs to load them. What's the problem you're having exactly?
>>
>>52191326
at first, text will be very big, and after initializing 20 things, it will initialize the video driver, but I want it to load the video driver first
>>
>>52191368
Don't think it would be possible, stuff needs to be loaded before that. You could try setting a different font, maybe that would make a small difference.
>>
>>52191185
put a gparted live image on a flashdrive and boot off it on that computer, then shrink the windows partition.

re-run the installer for the distro you want and choose the blank space to install to

grub should detect windows and allow you to dual boot just fine
>>
File: 1446317647485.jpg (325 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1446317647485.jpg
325 KB, 1024x1400
>>52191045
>Is there any way to convince the guy who made it to make some changes?
have good arguments why something should be replaced
opensource / proprietary should not be the pivotal point for change
have alternative application ready

curb your expectations
out of dozens of applications listed there you are not suppose to like every single choice
>>
>>52191473
>do the leg work
>>
>>52191473
Or just give us the files and we'll edit it out.
>>
>>52191473
I see it as a recommend software list based on the opinions of /g/

as such I don't think listing a million things or controversial things in certain areas is good

I would remove chromium and vivaldi from browsers, and qbittorrent from torrent clients, and I don't know enough about the best of some of the other ones to say which ones to remove but we should narrow them all down to one

the one exception I would make is vim/emacs
>>
>>52191505
>>
>>52191508
except the files will be in proprietary format, just like the infographic itself and the choices contained in it.
>>
>>52191533
>not using SVG
Jesus Christ.
>>
I'm installing archlinux with archlinux anywhere because i'm a retard.

I got it to get to the desktop and xfce was the de I chose, I like how it's very barebones, but why the fuck isn't the usb that i plug in being detected?

I went to the xfce system settings and even when I had auto mount checked it wouldn't work (even restarted).

What does one install on arch linux to make it so a usb drive that's plugged can be accessed automatically?
>>
>>52191533
GIMP can open PSD files just fine.
>>
>>52191514
>opinions of /g/
>vivaldi
>dropbox
our opinions sure is full of botnet
>>
>>52191549
>why the fuck isn't the usb that i plug in being detected?

File system? If you know what the USB will be listed as under /dev/sdxY, then use "lsblk -f" to see what filesystem it is.

Ext4 normally can't read NTFS and vice versa. Read the NTFS-3G page on the Arch wiki, and try mounting it with that. It should probably work.
>>
Why does my Arch desktop environment look like GNOME 3 even though I only installed the cinnamon package?
>>
>>52191624
post screenshot
>>
>>52191549
in some file managers there's also an option you can check to automatically mount usb devices, maybe look after that
>>
>>52191473
Back to reddit you moron.
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/3ya67j/install_arch_infographic/
>>
>>52191571
I was talking about its purpose, not saying that it currently reflected the opinions of /g/. I was saying it should be changed to show one thing for each category and that thing should be what most of /g/ prefers.
>>
>>52191556
really?
>>
>>52191679
Well, it's good if you want to change it like that. Dropbox is clearly not popular among /g/.
>>
>>52191609

I'm reading through this and I'm confused, where does it let me auto mount exactly?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Configuring
>>
>>52191720
Install gvfs package.
>>
>>52191694
My friend has PSD files he sent to me regularly, and my GIMP can open it (and edit it) just fine. It is good with some script-fus.
>>
>>52191720
other guy seems to be moron
you want to be reading this
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udisks
>>
>>52191634
I can't right now, but I can tell that it also did the same thing when I tried to install Pantheon.
>>
>>52191733

I'm using xfce4 though, or does it matter?

>>52191764

I was looking at this earlier and couldn't figure out how to make it auto mount. All I want is for the contents to be displayed on usb plugin. Not to type in commands every time I plug in a usb.
>>
>>52191848
It doesn't matter, gvfs also works on Thunar.
>>
>>52191848
>I was looking at this earlier and couldn't figure out how to make it auto mount. All I want is for the contents to be displayed on usb plugin. Not to type in commands every time I plug in a usb.

and where did you endup?
did you setup that polkit rule file thats posted there?
did you add your user to the storage group?
did you enable [email protected]?
>>
>>52191875

According to

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Thunar

I already have gvfs because I have Thunar which uses it. With that being said, I'm now extremely confused as to why this isn't working... hmm.
>>
File: 1430669470410.jpg (386 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
1430669470410.jpg
386 KB, 1600x1000
I'm just leaving this here.
>>
>>52191936
Someone do this in 1920x1080 wallpaer format to be honest, family.
>>
>>52191936
>ifconfig
are we in 2010?
>>
>>52191905
GVFS is used by Thunar, but is NOT installed by default, it is an OPTIONAL dependency of Thunar, see: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/thunar/

So, install gvfs.
>>
>>52192000

.... fucking hell, ok
>>
>>52191987
I use ifconfig.

Am I an antique?
>>
>>52192000

also, a pacsearch of gvfs shows there's gvfs-nfs which is a "backend for gvfs" is this important too?
>>
>>52192046
Just
sudo pacman -S gvfs
>>
Anyone know the subcommands for xrandx? The lts version I am using resets screen positions and shit on reboot. I need to specifically get the command for rotation. I found some stuff on google but its only doing size and position with
xrandr --output and --pos

Going to go dig around looking for documentation.
>>
>>52192034
yeah a lot of network-related commands became subsets of the ip command a long time ago

I also tend to use ifconfig and other deprecated commands anyway though
>>
>>52192191
did you try

man xrandr
>>
>>52192205

Ya and it hurt my eyes. Might need to just suck it up and dig through though. Probably should get used to the syntax and style in there.
>>
>>52192218
press / to search through it

I feel you though, a lot of man pages suck to read and I usually avoid it as well.
>>
>>52192237

Its not bad I just am not used to it. Still if there is a skill to develop first its probably this. At first I cant understand shit but its all there if you look a bit.
>>
>>52191473
Owncloud should be in that list instead of dropbox.
>>
anybody know how to make sms from my android phone show up in my laptop?
>>
File: excuse me I have a question.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
excuse me I have a question.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
>>52191185
>>52191439
what do I need the gparted for?
I have 100gb unused (blank) space I can use for linux.

By the way I heard there are some problems with grub running windows on dualboot and that its better to use windows bootloader as default startup program. Is this true in any way?
>>
>>52192406
This /g/ should not be recommending cloud anything. And Vim should be in text editors.

>>52192474
I am using it right now without issues. @ hard drives though. But the linux one is default and it starts grub every time. The only problem I see is the option says windows repair not windows. Boots right in when I click on it though.

I think the problems with booting stem from uefi not recognizing the boot loader or os. I had to set the uefi in my bios to other os to get it to not fuck me over. Uefi exists to stop the threat of someone infecting your bootloader and you not knowing so it sometimes causes problems.
>>
>>52192541
>This /g/ should not be recommending cloud anything. And Vim should be in text editors.

by cloud anything I mean external to your own machines. I myself use owncloud on a freenas box.
>>
so i use debian8 on a VM and another distro liveCD on a different pc.
My question, can i run airmon or a similar program on a VM with windows7 as primary OS?
How can i give control of my wireless card or other devices to a linux VM?
>>
>torrent client running on VM
- I'm using VirtualBox on Windows 8.1
- A lot of anons recommend Transmission as the good BT client. Since it is for Linux there are several distros to choose: http://www.transmissionbt.com/download/
- I can deal with pathing outside the VM, so I won't store the downloaded data inside the machine except the overhead files and .torrent files.
- Since it is on VM, I would love to strip it down from unnecessary tools as torrent files will be delivered with from outside paths. HOWEVER, I would love to use GUI.
- The reason is to have stable client. So far I've got Windows VM w/ qBitTorrent, but it's working not that great with many entries at once. qBitTorrent is good but it tends to be not responding for quite a time.
>>
>>52192617
qbittorrent runs very smoothly natively in linux.

I don't understand what you're doing, why not just use linux exclusively or dual boot?
>>
>>52192617
>separate vm only to run a torrent client
lmao
>>
File: 1451407612055.png (451 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451407612055.png
451 KB, 1920x1080
>>52191936
>Made with GIMP
>>
File: W3DRGvB.jpg (334 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
W3DRGvB.jpg
334 KB, 900x1200
Why is is fucking impossible to install wine on any live usb distro even with persistence?
Also , is there any linux distro that comes with preinstalled wine so I can test the damn thing?
>>
Let's give it a go.

I'm running Fedora 23 with MATE desktop.
I got a medion rebrand of some no-name "Waltop Mars" graphical tablet.

And I can't get it to work.

Upon plugin dmesg shows
[ 4402.909167] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 12 using uhci_hcd
[ 4403.102755] usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=172f, idProduct=0047
[ 4403.102767] usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 4403.102775] usb 5-1: Product: Mars Tablet
[ 4403.102782] usb 5-1: Manufacturer: WALTOP International Corp.
[ 4403.127989] input: WALTOP International Corp. Mars Tablet as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/0003:172F:0047.000B/input/input26
[ 4403.180517] hid-generic 0003:172F:0047.000B: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [WALTOP International Corp. Mars Tablet] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0

lsusb outputs
Bus 005 Device 012: ID 172f:0047 Waltop International Corp.

and finally xinput outputs
⎜   ↳ WALTOP International Corp. Mars Tablet      id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)

in the "Virtual core pointer" category.

I have xorg-x11-drv-wacom and libwacom package installed, however xsetwacom --list devices returns nothing.

The tablet works, I have a laptop running Ubuntu LTS and it runs mint.

The tablet itself USED to work on this computer, but now doesn't. Activity LED flashes, tablet itself reacts to me touching the stylus, but there's no input from the stylus to the computer, and the cursor doesn't move.

I don't recall removing any package and I definately haven't removed one intentionally.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm missing some obscure package I don't know about?
>>
Just to add to this, Elementary OS is another really beginner-friendly distro, quite similar in appearance to OSX, really smooth GUI. Based of Ubuntu 14.04.
>>
>>52193067
It's not impossible
>>
So I got a seedbox running Ubuntu Server without a GUI, could I run an emulator (nes or snes) without installing a GUI?
>>
So, Gnome or Mate? I know they're different but can't decide yet (and I've tried both)
>>
>>52193366
Could you please enlighten me, mr.wizard of loonix?
>>
>>52193613
What distros are you using? Why not just install a general use distro on the flashdrive?

I do not recall, I think Mint and Uuntu both have wine by default.
>>
>>52193635
>What distros are you using?
Ubuntu, fedora, mint, debian

>Why not just install a general use distro on the flashdrive?
I did

>I do not recall, I think Mint and Uuntu both have wine by default.
they don't

wat do?
>>
How do I replace the file select screen for some programs? The one that pops up when I attach something with Utox has no image previews.
>>
>>52193588
Like I said in the previous thread - from my experience MATE (which is gnome2 forked after it was discontinued) simply provides a more"complete" desktop experience when compared to others.

I found only one application that gnome provides when mate doesn't have an equivalent - gnome-disks.

But once again, it depends on the particular use case.

Do you have hardware powerful enough you don't mind wasting on fancy effects and gpu acceleartion which made gnome3 so infamous?
Do you have a screen resolution high enough to accomodate Gnome's HUGE gui elements?
Do you feel comfortable with gnome's workflow (it's quite good, but requires time to get used to)

I also like the ""corporate vibe"" mate/gnome2 has to itself.
My first contact with linux was a rhel workstation with gnome2 desktop and it was ufo-like experience.
You don't get that on any other DE.
>>
>>52193613
Why don't you just tells us why you can't install wine? There's nothing special to do.
>>
>>52193667
he meant you should actually install the whole thing on a usb drive instead of using a normal live image. but why don't you just install it alongside windows? it's not even hard.
>>
>>52193780
Filepicker is bound to the graphical toolking your browser uses, guessing from your picture, it's GTK3.
>>
>>52193780
ude drag and drop from your file manager of choice instead, patching programs to use another filechooser is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>52193848
Thanks for the help!
>>
File: cry.jpg (48 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
48 KB, 535x577
>finally decide on the perfect linux distro (Void)
>wireless doesn't work correctly
>>
>>52193870
broadcom?
>>
>>52193870
Wireless works fine in void, chances are you didn't set it up correctly.
>>
>>52193870
>perfect linux distro
>the only reedeming quality of it devs boast about is not using systemd and not using openssl
ridiculous
>>
>>52193844
>why don't you just install it alongside windows?
I don't have any space left on hdd.

i will try installing on usb
>>
>>52193848
It's GTK2.
>>
>>52193848
>>52193911
Forget what I said, it's GTK3.
>>
>>52193881
Tenda

>>52193886
I did I think. It pings correctly and even downloads at the beginning. But it gets stuck at around 70% downloading. Also, the download speed is atrocious (5KB/sec)

>>52193891
Hence proved that the distro is perfect.
>>
>>52193935
>I did I think. It pings correctly and even downloads at the beginning. But it gets stuck at around 70% downloading. Also, the download speed is atrocious (5KB/sec)
What are you talking about? Downloading what?
>>
>>52193067
NetRunner comes with pre-installed WINE. It's a nice distro. You're welcome
>>
>>52193949
Downloading the x86-64repodata file when installing.
>>
>>52193962
Most likely the mirrors are shit then.
>>
>>52193929
Of course it is gtk3.
if it was gtk2, you'd have a much simpler life because you could just install patched glib and gtk2 and get something like pic related
>>
>>52193844
>you should actually install the whole thing on a usb drive instead of using a normal live image

how the hell should i do that from windows?
i know how to make live usb with unetbootin, yumi, lilo etc. but how to install it on usb?
>>
>>52194006
install from one usb to another. Or just use something that has persistence straight away, like porteus, or puppy or something.
>>
>>52193970
But all the mirrors are in Europe except one which is in US.
>>
>>52194033
So?
>>
>>52194006
If you have two USB flashdrives, you can burn an iso to one of them, and boot your computer off it. Then use that ISO to install to the flashdrive as through it were your hard drive.
>>
>>52194042
So it'll probably not make much difference.
>>
>>52191473
My God
>Still Vivaldi
>Still Sublimekek
>Still scrot
Stubborn faggots like you should start tripfagging so people can block you
>>
>>52194066
Have you tried?
>>
>>52194051
>two USB flashdrives
I do, but one is usb3.0 and i can't boot from it.
>must have 2 usb drives just to try wine. verrry nice linux... very nice

>>52193955
thx. downloading now
>>
>>52193870
Retard here:
What is Void and why is it good?
>>
>>52194085
>Still scrot
It has literally no scrots though
>>
>>52194085
Still no* scrot, thanks >>52194123 for pointing that out
>>
>>52194099
If you install porteus (for example) to it, you can download an iso for a different distro, chroot into it, and use it to install to the flashdrive. I have done this with gentoo and crux, but I bet you can do it easily enough with most distros.
>>
Does a .qcow2 image already contain all the information needed to restore a VM? How can I restore a VM from a .qcow2 image?
>>
>>52194109
read the website
>>
>>52194109
Linux distro created with two arbitrary rules in mind
>systemd is bad
>openssl is bad
The rest is pretty much the same, minus the tiny repositories
>>
>>52194166
PolarSSL > OpenSSL

SystemD is all good though.
>>
>>52191549
Install and enable the service for "udisks". Look it up on the wiki. It's the program most people use to handle automounting.
>>
>>52191848
As far as I know, udisks by default (after being enabled, which under Arch's systemd-init is $systemctl enable <service>) will automount drives. The commands on the page are only examples of how to use udisks on the CLI should you want to. Just install and enable, reboot, then see if it works.
>>
>>52191987
A lot of distros use it by default, and some people install it.
>>
What's the correct way to install themes in Ubuntu or Mint? Whenever I download themes in .zip or .tar.gz format I can't figure out what to do with them...
>>
>>52194378
Have you tried licking them?
>>
>>52194378
the fucking terminal
>>
>>52194088
Just tried. All mirrors are shit. Downloading starts at ~300 KB/s then drops down to ~8Kb/sec.
>>
>>52194447

I'm not afraid of terminal but I don't know much yet. I've figured out that themes/icons are stored in /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons but even if I extract to there, I can't figure out how to actually activate the themes.
>>
>>52194378
PPA
P
A
>>
>>52194471
in the settings of your DE.
>>
>>52194471
Its lot more simpler to use the terminal. Read this article written by a currynigger. Apparently all you gotta do is to write 3 commands in ubuntu
http://sourcedigit.com/9432-top-10-best-custom-themes-ubuntu-14-04/
>>
>>52194378
You dump the entire directory (it should contain subdirectories like gtk-3.0, gtk-2.0, metacity-1, gnome-shell, xfwm4 etc) in /usr/share/themes
or in ~/.themes, if you don't need to make them system-wide.
>>
File: 1451422488692.png (175 KB, 482x436) Image search: [Google]
1451422488692.png
175 KB, 482x436
>Install ubuntu mate
>my wireless driver is broadcom
>have to manually install drivers
>tether phone
>open terminal
>dhcpcd is not found

>luckily there's an "auto ethernet" option in the network manager applet
How did it tether itself without dhcp?
>>
>>52194452
jump on the irc then, ask if there's an issue right now.
>>
>>52194624
zeroconf is handled by avahi
you don't need dhcpd for that
>>
>>52194647
Already did. No ones answering.
>>
>>52194687
>zeroconf
>avahi
Time for me to study then, thanks anon
>>
Hi /g/, I'm new to linux and actually am new to computers in general. As a newbie, it seems to me that my choice of desktop environment is much more important than my choice of distribution, as the GUI is what I will spend most of my time interacting with. What is the fundamental difference between distros? Drivers? Space on disk? If all I use is the GUI, does distro even matter?
>>
>>52194155
now THAT is nice!
>>
I am running Lubuntu 15.10 and just installed i3wm, I really like it and want to use it full time, how do I remove LXDE so that I run only tty (at login) and i3?

I've been searching around for a while but the only answers are for older versions of Ubuntu and don't work for me.

I'm trying to get to a place with Linux where I use as little GUI as possible. My linux machine is also a piece of shit and i3 is graphically minimal, which has been great for it performance-wise.
>>
>>52194800
If you like it easy and stable, dont care about freedom, want best driver support and use gui only anyway, go with plain ubuntu. The differences between the distros are mostly freedom, "bloat", or stability related.
>>
>>52194800
desktop environment will matter even if you're proficient. You will be spending majority of time using it anyways.

If your hardware is capable, your choice is Gnome3, cinnamon, KDE Plasma, Unity

If you have shit hardware, choose between MATE, XFCE and LXDE.

Distribution is irrelevant, stick with the popular and mainstream ones. They work, they have big userbase, so larger chances of having someone to help you with, and more software maintainers.

Pick Ubuntu/ubuntu flavours or mate.
If you feel confident and you're not afraid of some initial setup, pick fedora.
>>
File: 1449183315241.png (792 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1449183315241.png
792 KB, 1024x1400
I tried my best.
>>
>>52194800
Most prebuilt distros are judged by their package managers, repositories, pre installed softwares and drivers
As for the GUI it generally should not matter, you can install any DE you feel like if your distro has that in its repository
>>
>>52194881
add mousepad/pluma/kate/geany for normies
>>
>>52194851
>>52194860
>>52194882
Thanks for the responses! Who said 4chan's not a nice place?
>>
File: 1446712407077.png (794 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1446712407077.png
794 KB, 1024x1400
>>52194911
Can't deny those double singles.
>>
>>52194882
>WARNING **: error: cannot retrieve connection: uid 1000 has no permission to perform this operation
whats this shit
>>
File: 1438875849092.jpg (52 KB, 355x400) Image search: [Google]
1438875849092.jpg
52 KB, 355x400
>>52195045
A warning message, telling you what went wrong.
>>
>>52194979
That's cause you are able to ask a question properly, you will be able to survive the most elitist forums if you present your questions correctly
>>
Hi, noob here.

I recently installed archlinux and I just installed my first AUR package using yaourt. However no shortcut of the program is in the start menu (but I can run the program through my terminal).

Is this normal? Do I have to configure the shortcut manually?
>>
>>52195045
didnt mean to quote there
>>52195077
understood it that far, not sure how to get around it though
>>
>>52195108
What window manager or desktop environment are you using?
>>
>>52195108
What program is this? Are you using Cinnamon?
>>
Hi /g/ slightly intermediate linucks wizrd here.
I like to use wm's instead of de's.
>>52194378
There should be a tool for that dont know the name tho
>>52194849
>i3
My nigga
>>
>>52195108
you're looking for a .desktop file
>>
>>52194833
Why, thank you.

>>52194157
The image stores all the hard drive information. Things like how much ram you should have is not included, but if you have the qcow2 you can use the vm.

I usually run vms from qemu, and use little scripts to specify ram and cpu and such.
>>
>>52194849
usually, you should be able to choose the DE/WM at ubuntu's login screen, once chosen, it's the default. Have you tried that? No need to remove other DE/WMs for this.
>>
>>52195203
protip: click the ubuntu icon to choose the DE/WM
>>
>>52195165
I'm asking because I do live backups using snapshot-create-as, rsyncing the result, then blockcommiting and removing the snapshot. Which gives me a consistent backup of the guest at that moment (as far as the disk is concerned) without creating a chain of backups and shit.

But to recreate the guest I probably should do the dumpxml thing too, right?
>>
>>52195296
What VM software are you using?
>>
>>52195349
KVM.

Pretty neat, after I finally got the hang of things. Had some issues with making the bridge work at first.
>>
>>52195116
#
>>
>>52195296
OK. Probably the dumpxml thing will be good, to do. I am not sure exactly what that will be doing, but I bet it cointains information about like ram and CPU configuration.

However, if you have just the qcow image, it should be sufficient to restore the VM (like if you pulled your HDD out of your computer).

My use of VM's is generally pretty casual, and it is quite possible that someone will know more about it than me.

Also, that configuration for snapshotting sounds rather neat.
>>
>>52195203
Yeah I'm at that point, I've been using it for a few days now, I just don't want things on my computer that are unnecessary for me.
>>
>>52195500
I think the command you are looking for is
sudo apt-get purge lxde
>>
File: 1451533398065.png (423 KB, 477x480) Image search: [Google]
1451533398065.png
423 KB, 477x480
Anyone have the linux distro user comparison image?
>>
File: 1447614458302.jpg (323 KB, 1804x846) Image search: [Google]
1447614458302.jpg
323 KB, 1804x846
>>52195565
this one?
>>
>>52195599
no the other one

The one with neo under backtrack instead of the Indian it should be.
>>
>>52195147
I'm using xfce

>>52195151
It's coq proof assistant

>>52195162
Entries in the start menu are also .desktop files?
>>
File: qL9Lh4n.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
qL9Lh4n.jpg
409 KB, 1920x1080
>>52195663
Oh, you mean the first image retuned by ddg for 'linux+user'.
>>
>>52195483
>Also, that configuration for snapshotting sounds rather neat.
It's neat, but you end up with a full disk copy, so you're not exactly saving any space.

I've got a simple script to automate things too which I might as well share because why not:
#!/bin/sh

D=$(date +"%d-%m-%Y")

virsh snapshot-create-as --domain vm snapshot --disk-only --atomic --quiesce

rsync -avh /path/to/image/sdv.qcow2 /path/to/backup/location/vm-"$D".qcow2

virsh blockcommit vm hda --active --verbose --pivot

virsh snapshot-delete vm snapshot --metadata

rm /path/to/snapshot/sdv.snapshot

virsh dumpxml vm > /path/to/backup/location/vm.xml

exit 0

For this to work you need to work out the quirks of the --quiesce option (requires a daemon to run in the guest and a little configuration of your domain) and of course make sure that "hda" is the correct option (virsh domblklist vm).
>>
>>52195711
>Entries in the start menu are also .desktop files?
yes
>>
File: 1443448185071.png (1 MB, 3200x500) Image search: [Google]
1443448185071.png
1 MB, 3200x500
>>52195720
>>52195599
>>
>>52195828
Where should I look for this missing desktop file?
>>
>>52195829
>buntu made from plastic
sounds about right
>>
>>52195829
That buntu burger sure looks good.
>>
Anybody knows a good leightweight linux Laptop (11"-13") to buy for a broke cs student?

It should have a mat display and battery should last for a reasonable while.
I just want to edit files in vim and browse the web.
Is a chromebook my only choice?
>>
>>52195720
>Fedora/CentOS user
>Fedora
>server
>>
>>52195886
>Is a chromebook my only choice?
No. Look around. Theres plenty of cheap laptops out there. Especially if specs don't matter much.
>>
File: 1421122764626.jpg (138 KB, 920x690) Image search: [Google]
1421122764626.jpg
138 KB, 920x690
>>
>>52195886

just buy a fucking old memepad and two 9-cell batteries

my x200 gets 6 hours of web browsing with a 9-cell, closer to 9 if I'm just using the terminal or leafpad. posting from it right now, dickbag
>>
Anyone has an idea of why the time from the replies is shown like "0 seconds ago"?
This is annoying and it also fucks up the history of messages when using whatsapp web (whatsapp is very used where I live).
I'm on Arch by the way.
Thanks
>>
File: 1430735582363.jpg (43 KB, 550x335) Image search: [Google]
1430735582363.jpg
43 KB, 550x335
>>
>>52195947
set your timezone correctly and your localtime, preferably through ntp sync
>>
how to see available connections with nm without applet?
>>
>>52196055
nmtui
>>
>>52195975
Doesn't the Windows one need to be updated to be the same as the Mac one?
>>
>>52195993
I used ntpd -qg.
Thanks for the reply.
>>
/flt/, I need help. I'm running Arch/i3 and have a new 1440p monitor. I'd like to use it through an HDMI port. I know the GPU/cable/monitor is capable of driving this resolution, as it does so automagically on windows.

However, when I run Xrandr no 2560x1440 option appears. When I try to add it manually as below:
[user@computer ~]$ cvt 2560 1440
# 2560x1440 59.96 Hz (CVT 3.69M9) hsync: 89.52 kHz; pclk: 312.25 MHz
Modeline "2560x1440_60.00" 312.25 2560 2752 3024 3488 1440 1443 1448 1493 -hsync +vsync
[user@computer ~]$ xrandr --newmode "2560x1440_60.00" 312.25 2560 2752 3024 3488 1440 1443 1448 1493 -hsync +vsync
[user@computer ~]$ xrandr --addmode HDMI-3 "2560x1440_60.00"
[user@computer ~]$ xrandr --output HDMI-3 --mode "2560x1440_60.00"

Not only does the resolution not change, but the mouse cursor disappears. Any ideas?
>>
>>52195975
This is not a relevant image anymore. OS X updates are free, windows is also free/updates without you choosing. Linux man also needs a beard.
>>
File: 1442896688152.jpg (117 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
1442896688152.jpg
117 KB, 900x563
truecrypt on Arch
>Mount: Invalid characters encountered

googling shows that the issue is with ABI change with compiler
>The reason for the change is because of the recent changes to GCC and the C++ ABI. TrueCrypt hasn't changed, it was just rebuilt.

but no one talks about solution other than just reverting to the old version
Is there something I can do? Anyone had this on their archmachine?
>>
>>52195544
That works for older versions of Lubuntu, but for me it says:

'lxde' is not installed, so not removed

I think it's within the lubuntu-core metapackage, but I don't want to remove that and then be missing a bunch of stuff I need such as wireless-tools.
>>
File: 1450650217045.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1450650217045.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
>>52196211

you fell for the fucking arch meme you fucking retard

hurr durr im such l33t hacker, no bloat, hey guys plz tech support my machine lol
>>
>>52196310
>Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.
>>
>gtk theme goes to shit for some stuff
>works fine for most
not sure if keeper
>>
File: animation.gif (187 KB, 638x360) Image search: [Google]
animation.gif
187 KB, 638x360
I'l linux user with 8 years experience, I never compiled any software, but today I did for first time. My question is should I delete git clone from my home directory after installation of particular software is done?
>>
>>52196310
>le rotten debian burger, the post
>>
>>52195926
>>52195945
in my country x200 sell for about 110-150€ with a shitty battery. add about 40€ to that for a 9cell replica which has unknown quality.

a new acer c720 costs around 130€.

am i that far off?
>>
>>52196402
"good" makefiles usually have a
sudo make uninstall
option
if you need than, keep it, if not, delete it
but well, its not like you couldn't remove the package manually too
usually theres no need to keep unless you want to modify the sources
>>
>>52196402
Just my personal habit: I have a ~/.git/sources folder where I keep my stuff, so I can update, recompile and reinstall when a projects gets updates. My 2«.

-pro: no need to download the whole clone when updating
-cons: none, except disc space
>>
Alright so I'm pulling my hair out here.
Just got Arch, and I'm using the cinnamon desktop with the intent of ricing it.

Got conky just fine, but the directory that the arch wiki had me create doesn't seem to exist.

Basically I'm asking if anyone can help my retarded ass get started with using Conky. I like readouts.
>>
>>52196987
>but the directory that the arch wiki had me create doesn't seem to exist.
wat
>>
>>52197007
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Conky

So, on here after getting conky it wants me to to make a local config file.
I've followed what it told me to do and... nothing.
>>
File: Updates.png (81 KB, 999x420) Image search: [Google]
Updates.png
81 KB, 999x420
>>52196146
>>52196246
Is this one better? Should I cahnge it?
>>
>>52197041
more specific anon, what do you mean nothing
>>
>>52197071
When searching for that directory, it does not exist.
I cannot find conky.conf anywhere.
>>
>>52197092
It literally tells you how to make it.
>>
File: Updates.png (80 KB, 999x420) Image search: [Google]
Updates.png
80 KB, 999x420
>>52197053
Slight change.
>>
>>52197109
I did that.
>>
File: conky-harmatten.jpg (172 KB, 1128x597) Image search: [Google]
conky-harmatten.jpg
172 KB, 1128x597
>>52196987
careful
arch is bleeding edge and there has been move towards conky2 - v1.10
anyway forgot about arch wiki with conky only thing you need to know is that when you start conky it looks for .conkyrc in your home

follow this harmattan install instructions
https://github.com/zagortenay333/Harmattan
>>
>>52197135
So you ran
mkdir -p ~/.config/conky
conky -C > ~/.config/conky/conky.conf

?
Which directory can't you find? .config?
>>
Why is Conky so popular? Like how often do you people watch your desktop?
>>
>>52197186
yep, .config doesn't seem to exist

>>52197150
thanks, i'll look into that
>>
File: Wyqykhp.png (122 KB, 1918x1005) Image search: [Google]
Wyqykhp.png
122 KB, 1918x1005
I wanna learn how to use the terminal rather than just regurgitating commands that I find on forums, how do? Tried using codeacademy but it gives me pic related
>>
>>52197220
>yep, .config doesn't seem to exist
Files and directories (which are just files) which start with a '.' are considered 'hidden'. They will not show up in your file manager or when you use 'ls' by default. For file managers, Ctrl-H is usually the shortcut to show hidden files and 'ls -a' (a stands for 'all') is the command to see hidden files.
>>
sup /flits/.

I have two different networks, one is a wifi with a superior connection. The other is an ethernet with an inferior connection, but it gives me access to the rest of my machines as well.

What I would like to happen is to use the wifi when it is available. There are periods when the wifi isn't available, and I'd like it to fall back on to the ethernet's connection which is pretty much always available.

Is there a simple way to achieve this?
>>
>>52197241
just use it then, have some commands:
>>52192921

man is your best friend.
>>
>>52197270
thanks anon. you're just the best.
i'm gonna go hang my head in shame for a bit and then get back to playing with my computer
>>
>>52197417
iknowrite?
>>
what do tools do you anons prefer to use when backing up your distro? considering using backup-manager for debian. Would that cover everything?

Looking to back up to an external drive. Not looking for cloud backup or anything.
>>
>>52197241
1. choose terminal emulator that you will love to use, most noobs like sliding emulators, check youtube videos of guake or tilda, set them for nice large font, good liking and always nearby with just single hotkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHbpQYlgmg

2. checkout zsh instead of bash, you dont really need to know much with oh-my-zsh or prezto about it, just that its autocomplete and history is so much better than bash

3. just use linux and the need for terminal will come and you will use it and learn it, no need to go much out of your. If you need to learn now then just google "basic terminal commands youtube" and you get some shit.
>>
>>52197451
rsync to a different drive.
>>
>>52197451
btrfs snapshots.
dd piped into xz for bit-perfect drive backups.
>>
>>52195720
I'm gonna start using backtrack to open my web browser instead of mint now
>>
>>52197205
lotsa people install linux just to rice it.

I don't remember when my wallpaper wasn't default (with exception of windows, default XP/7 wallpaper were fucking shit) or dark solid color.
>>
>>52191185
Dual booting linux and windows isn't hard at all; I just set it up on my laptop, yesterday. There are many tutorials online that can help you; I found the first part of this one helpful.
If Windows isn't detected you just have to select the unallocated space to install linux onto.
>>
>./install
installation runs but permission problems
>sudo ./install
sudo: ./install: command not found

wat do
>>
>>52197663
sudo -i
./install
>>
>>52197663
sudo -i
>>
>>52197663
sudo su

./install
>>
>>52197683
>>52197686
>>52197699
thanks
>>
>>52197765
Yeah, let's ignore the real problem.
>>
>>52197286
retarded situation you got there buddy.

because networkmanager will always by default prioritize ethernet over wire, try to modify the ethernet connection and in the "general" tab uncheck the "connect automatically".

Now drop the connection (disconnect button) from the applet.

Bear in mind network manager has no way of determining whether the wifi network actually works or not.
For as long as there's signal, it will stay connected.

If the wifi signal drops, it and there will be no other networks around, it should use the available ethernet.

I have no idea whether it would work or not.

If it doesn't, you have to fiddle around with "metrics" table of "ip".
It will let you prioritize wlan over ethernet.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 500x430
I've got a LUKS encrypted Gentoo setup with systemd and grub2 on Uefi.

For whatever reason it tries to mount the root file system before decrypting the LUKS container. The root fs is an LVM.

I can use the grub shell to decrypt it manually, but I'd really rather it just password-prompt me.
>>
>>52197839
what real problem?
>>
>>52197861
>For as long as there's signal, it will stay connected.

Yeah, by not available, I mean there will be no signal. I just need to know how to prioritize the wifi over the ethernet. Or are you saying that even if the wifi isn't connected to the AP, it'll still try to go through that if I set it to be first priority?

I'm trying to set this up to be as hands-free as possible so I can tuck this machine in a closet somewhere. I can deal with sending a CLI command to associate with the AP, but I'd prefer it connected automatically when it detects it.
>>
>>52190795

I'm running debian with openbox and I'm using pcmanfm as my file manager, and for some reason it won't display my other partitions or any removable media in the menu on the left, so I need to manually mount them and that's such a pain.
I made a normal user manually after the installation, could it be some problem with permissions I overlooked?
>>
I need some halp
how does this *sh incantation work? $URL is a variable with, well, an url
And I know the output is the last thing in there, but what's the general mechanism behind this magick?
${URL##*/}
>>
Not sure if this is more appropriate for the desktop thread, but how hard is it to completely remove a DE/WM?

Going to I'll probably end up trying a bunch of different ones and I don't want to end up with a bunch of shit installed when I finally settle on one. Is it as easy as removing any other program (debian-based)?
>>
I'm running Arch with the cinnamon desktop environment. How do I stop conky from flickering, I've tried a bunch of stuff, but nothing works.
Also, is there any way to get it to go transparent? I've also tried to do this but it didn't work.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52198179
double_buffer yes
>>
>>52194006
>boot live usb with the 'toram' option and install on same usb
>attach usb to virtualbox using rawdisk, boot VM with ISO and install to USB
>>
>>52197865
I think there is something you're supposed to add to your mkinitcpio hooks.
>>
>>52198199
Where to?
Really quite new at this.
>>
Which distro is proficient for sustaining battery life.
>>
I'm on Debian and cant download compiz, for whatever reason its not in my repos, does anybody have any trouble with this/
>>
>>52198396
anything with a recent kernel and one that doesn't run gnome/unity/kde
>>
>>52198449
use compton
>>
>>52198348
I thought mkinitcpio was an Arch thing.

I use Genkernel to make my initramfs.
>>
File: joint.jpg (105 KB, 588x546) Image search: [Google]
joint.jpg
105 KB, 588x546
>>52197441
Summer is over

Thanks god. Or whatever mathemagics created this universe
>>
>>52198549
>I thought mkinitcpio was an Arch thing.
Oh, maybe it is. I wasn't really sure what Gentoo used.
>I use Genkernel to make my initramfs.
Well maybe there is some kind of hook you're supposed to add to that.
>>
>>52198139
found it somehow
${VAR#something}
prints the match for 'something' in $VAR
${VAR%something}
removes that part and prints the rest
>>
Sup lads
I got a chromebook, but as it is shit, I installed Ubuntu, using crouton (first time ever using it)
So, I downloaded some files and I want to crop/paste them into an external HD, but every time I try to do it, it says "Couldn't make folder /etc/....."
I think it is because it has some Norwegian letters (ex: o) in the folder and files name (I renamed the main folder and only that moved, same error for the ones inside).
Is there any way to fix that or I need to rename all files?
>>
I have a shitty laptop, planning to install Fedora on it. What would be the best desktop environment for it? Best, as in customizability and lightweightness.
>>
>>52198800
LXDE, LXQT or XFCE
>>
I've just installed debian on my laptop. How can I get autoconnected WiFi like in ubuntu?

I've already added nonfree repos and I don't want to manually add every wifi connection
>>
>>52190795
>If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),

I will NEVER understand how dualbooting can be recommended for newbies.
Once your shitty distro has set up automatically a dual boot, they ONLY way a newbee's computer is going back to be single booted is with a wipe of the partition table. In the mean time you have to just hope that MS won't pull off its ass some upgrade which will demolish your delicate dual bootable card castle.
How is this something vaguely considered wise?
>>
>>52198919
type nmtui into terminal
>>
>>52198920
i personally wouldn't even have tested GNU/Linux if i wouldn't have dual-booted first.
>>
File: 1433983237201.jpg (25 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1433983237201.jpg
25 KB, 433x380
Does anyone here have experience with arch linux + awesome messing with keybinds? Awesome seems to overwrite ALL of my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse inputs and now none of the function keys (volume, brightness, keyboard backlight) work anymore. Neither do any of the trackpad actions (like double-tap for right click) making it impossible to open the menu without a mouse hooked up. I spent all day yesterday on this and got nowhere.

Alternately, does openbox do the same thing? I'd just switch if it meant I could right click again.
>>
>>52198920
I agree. I usually recommend fugging around in a live USB or something first.
>>
>>52198619
> hooks
There are.

I do genkernel--udev --luks --lvm--mdadm --install initramfs

Don't know why it refuses to cooperate.
>>
>>52198940
That doesn't solve anything mate. There is no list of wifi connections available
>>
I am planning on installing a completely free, Stallman-endorsed GNU/Linux distro on one of my computers.
Which one would you recommend from this list?
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

I would probably choose Parabola myself, since it is based on Arch, which is my preferred distro for anything that doesn't have to be very stable.
>>
then you need to install the drivers first. if you're to lazy to find out which ones just install firmware-linux-nonfree.
>>
File: 1448053951409.gif (7 KB, 208x225) Image search: [Google]
1448053951409.gif
7 KB, 208x225
>>52198670
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/syntax/pe
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.